Since childhood I have been interested in photography, but it was always too expensive to have your film developed and printed. Unfortunately I don't have any room to make a dark room on my own either. So when I bought my first digital camera about 4 years ago, I was happy like a kid in heaven. Snapping away, taking pics of everything that moved and didn't move. ;o)
2 Years later, I upgraded to Fujifilm Finepix S7000 and it was a huge improvement. Another year later I was in the decadent position to buy myself a Nikon D-70, sponsored majorly by my parents. And I thank them from the bottom of my heart that I was able to take this step, that I never dreamed was possible so soon.
In 2010 I bought myself a Nikon D-90, yet another improvement in digital imaging technology. The Nikonator (D-70) will still act as my back up camera. But she has taken so many pictures that she behaves like a tired old lady sometimes. And I like younger women better. ;o)
The fun thing about photography is that you can still learn from yourself and others every day. And that is what I am doing through talking to people on sites like flickr.
All photography is copyright © Eelco Kruidenier. All Rights Reserved Worldwide. None of these photographs may be reproduced and/or disclosed publicly in any way, shape or form without the written permission of Eelco Kruidenier. Write me at kruidenier.e(at)ziggo.nl if you wish to use one of my images.
(Yeah right, as if someone here on Flickr or anywhere else gives a rat's ass about that copyright statement. hehehe...)
"And when you rejoiced they saw you smiling at your rejoicing
When you wept they saw you smiling at your weeping
When you smiled they saw you smiling at your smiling
And you said "That's the way I've survived these years of dust and
blood." - Johnny Clegg -
"Shit happens, life sucks, and then your battery dies" - Fotomom -
"It is not my problem. But if people make it their problem, then I am fine with it. And that still does not make it my problem."
- Haags Bakkie 1,032 photos, 196 members
- Reflektionen 488 photos, 64 members
- Photographing Children with Special Needs 1,247 photos, 211 members
- Meetup De Rijp 2013 88 photos, 16 members
- THE J. PAUL GETTY MUSEUM 4,075 photos, 200 members
- Meet-Up Gorinchem 262 photos, 16 members
- MalinesGraphique 4,170 photos, 153 members
- We want Flickr with a DARK BACKGROUND!! (NOT PHOTO) 8 photos, 11,373 members
- A Sausage Obsession 186 photos, 55 members
- Wiki loves art /NL 4,388 photos, 286 members
- Flickr Photo Meet Up Groningen 24 may/ 24 mei 2009. 405 photos, 28 members
- Discovery Photos: Post 1, Vote for 3 650,279 photos, 29,151 members
- The Unforgettable Pictures ~ Post 1, Comment 3 ~ NEW RULES!! 308,814 photos, 30,953 members
- Urca 428 photos, 69 members
- Parking Lot Photography 2,093 photos, 337 members
- Flickr's cooking photo's. 60 photos, 27 members
- *THE PERFECT PHOTOGRAPHER (P1/A2) 1,111,911 photos, 57,942 members
- ~New Envy of Flickr!~ POST 1 AWARD 2 PLEASE!!!! 87,939 photos, 9,604 members
- Castlefest 13,842 photos, 260 members
- Ancient Egyptian Sarcophagi and Mummy Masks 2,465 photos, 255 members
- alan's psychedelic breakfast 5,047 photos, 1,035 members
- Plus+ 21,416 photos, 1,415 members
- A+++ Photo (Post 1, Give 3 awards ONLY) Not commenting = Ban 526,574 photos, 28,612 members
- FOTO Meet up Zwolle 18 MEI. 251 photos, 17 members
- Color Photo Award - PREMIER -- Post 1: Give 2 - Get 5: Go BRONZE 226,734 photos, 32,225 members
- We say NO to VIDEOS on FLICKR 876 photos, 22,557 members
- Æ ARTISTIC EXPRESSION at Admin invitation (pls aw 1) 9,527 photos, 10,337 members
- The Flickr Portrait Gallery 369,981 photos, 22,940 members
- Leiden Meetups 275 photos, 28 members
- Wunderkammer 11,071 photos, 1,097 members
- Meet-ups Rotterdam 4,036 photos, 212 members
- Naturalis 576 photos, 80 members
- Experimentation 138,813 photos, 10,965 members
- Photowalk Belgium 23,569 photos, 617 members
- The Ancient World 48,018 photos, 1,699 members
- FishEye 150,659 photos, 14,194 members
- Sigma 10mm F2.8 EX DC Fisheye 5,426 photos, 766 members
- *Flickrmeet Nederland* 2,832 photos, 394 members
- Blue Ribbon PHOTOGRAPHY (INVITE ONLY) 282,389 photos, 42,015 members
- De Doka (1 foto/1 comment) 260,872 photos, 2,435 members
- a fair price 636 photos, 314 members
- CUADROS Y MONUMENTOS/ART-PICTURES & MONUMENTS(POST 1,COMMENT 1) 40,424 photos, 4,297 members
- DIGIFOTO Pro 518,355 photos, 14,746 members
- Portrait Award (Invited only) 47,031 photos, 20,487 members
- Oud-Mechelen 324 photos, 70 members
- Leuven 18,042 photos, 657 members
- Flickrzoo 2,731 photos, 210 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,139,136 photos, 75,516 members
- Ljómi *a ray of light* Welcome 49,496 photos, 3,982 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 88,894 photos, 9,905 members
"Smiling...a man with a big heart! Funny,gentle and most of all: a very caring person! Thanks Co!"
September 28th, 2008
"A great photographer and friend. An afternoon with Eelco equals great pictures and an all round good time."
June 2nd, 2008
"Ok.. today was the first time that i stop to read about my sweet Smiling..
I was thinking before, to ask for him how long time he works like "photographer".. so my question and probably your question will be answering in his profile. So.. its amazing the magic that he does with his camera.
He can register the fun, the quiet, the silence, the dead, the live, the nature, the caos, the magic.. all the things in his own way.
I found Smiling da Vinci in fotologgers.. and i will never imagine that after almost three years i will found him , here too.
Friends forever my smiling
March 17th, 2008
"One of my most fun and admired friends in Flickr, smiling_da_vinci is a great photographer, of which his other testimonials speak very truthfully, I want to add that he is a great friend ....I was touched that he was disappointed I did not call on him in my recent trip to Amsterdam, he takes time to add thoughtful funny comment on my photos, and is one of my favorite friends on Flickr!!!!"
November 28th, 2007
"Co, (neefje, ik ben ouder)
Ik moet je bedanken, je hebt mij gewezen op Flickr.com, en ik heb er enorm veel plezier in.
Co je bent een goede fotograaf ( ja wat wil je, je hebt ook een betere camera dan ik...lol).
Je bent creatief, niet alleen in het maken van foto's maar ook in het geven van commentaar...
Ga zo door......
Genoeg gelult anders streel ik je echo te veel.......
Groeten van je NEEF.....
January 18th, 2007
"Eelco is a Renaissance Man in the true meaning of the expression. His passion for learning, the arts and the world around him reflect this. He is a gentleman with a compassionate soul who has helped so many in so many different ways. He is fortunate in that he has been able to combine his passions and hobbies with his work. Not too many people can do that. I am honoured to call him my friend."
December 24th, 2006
"Eelco heb ik leren kennen op een meeting...Hij is ontzettend lief voor andere mensen..soms kan hij ook plagend zijn maar dat vind ik juist leuk in hem...Hij geeft ook geinige comments...Zijn werk bij Naturalis vind hij volgens mij heel leuk..
Smiling ik hoop je nog weer tegen te komen op meetings..maar dat zal vast lukken..Groetjes..Kisje...
Ps..als je het in het engels wil..vertaal je het voor me?"
December 12th, 2006
"Eelco is niet alleen een kei-goede fotograaf, met een originele kijk op de dingen - sinds onze ontmoeting op de Flickrmeeting in 'mijn' Mechelen wéét ik dat hij een toffe knul is!
Nu 'blader' ik met nog méér plezier in z'n 'foto-album'!"
November 24th, 2006
"Smilie is a Dutch Master photographer who works magic in the pictures that are full of his perception, kindness, and empathy. He has special affections in hearts of many inclusive mine."
September 6th, 2006
"I always sorprise with your pictures..."
May 8th, 2006
"he is the person in flickr that i know who have more testimonials than any other contact of mine. they must have said everything. so, there is nothing left for me.
[sorry for my english, eelco. =)]"
January 27th, 2006
"Always interesting in his point of view, Mr. Vinci lives up to his predecessor's reputation for being an iconoclast (but a kinder, gentler one) who produces thought-provoking yet beautiful images."
December 24th, 2005
"I have been a fan and a friend online at fotolog and now flickr of Eelco aka smiling_da_vinci for a long while. He shows his humanity and friendship always, and he is truly a wonderful person and an excellent photographer. I have followed his journey through good times and some bad. I have felt the outpouring of people’s emotion towards him, through this sometimes-cold network, it amazing. How does he manage to send such meaning and personal warmth is something magical and special. I am richer for knowing him. smiling_da_vinci is magical. Thanks friend!"
October 8th, 2005
August 22nd, 2005
Very great person!
I very much enjoy his work!
July 29th, 2005
angel of the odd says:
"there is a good reason he uses the word "smiling". his images and comments invoke a grin on my face every time.
his candor is a rarity in this day and age and i for one appreciate it to no end."
June 20th, 2005
"What can I say about dear Co?
He's the way he is! And so are his photos. He sees thinks and takes photos everywhere (although...have never seen a toiletshot, or did I miss that? LOL).
But he can also play with a photo and make something even more beautifull of it.
And he's a nice person in real!
Anyway: I love him and his work."
June 20th, 2005
"I can only think that his nickname is exactly who he is. This "da vinci" has been a consistent positive force within flickr for quite a while and has taken the time to comment on photos (even for us "newbies"), greatfully appreciated."
May 2nd, 2005
"Eelco aka Smiling Da Vinci aka Cootje is one of my oldest and dearest friends from fotolog and flickr. He is one of the sweetest guys you will ever meet in your life! Warm, caring, sensitive and a very passionate photographer! His fotos in the house of in particular 'things you can eat' are the best i think! They are made in a way that you want to lick your screen, lol! Keep it up smiley! Very very nice to have met you:*"
April 15th, 2005
"I love checking out Eelco's photos, you never quite know what you're going to see!
So many amazing and interesting surprises :o)
Seeing the world through his eyes is a wonderful journey that all can enjoy - his warmth, humor and kindness glows from his work!
Now go check 'em out and enjoy the trip..."
April 13th, 2005
"By looking at Co's photography, we can view the world the way he sees it. He is able to find beauty in anything - whether it be a burning sunset, a glittering crystal, or something as simple as a biscuit :) His ability to see beauty, his warmth, kindness and cheerfulness is delivered to us through his photographs, creating a wonderful feeling!"
February 12th, 2005
- November 2004
- Voorschoten, The Netherlands
- I am:
- Male and Single