Back in 1990 when I first moved to NYC I took a lot of pictures with an SLR and a 28mm around town, mostly black and white. I then would devolop and print them myself in the nyc rent a dark rooms, back then $7/hr. Then I stopped for a long time and digital cameras became popular and got back into photography
edit (April 9th, 2007): I am back to film only as of the last few months, mostly color and some BW film.
For my upcoming exhibition that I may be having check:
The greatest thing I have to say about Flickr is that it is awesome seeing so many great photos from all over the world. And all you street photographers especially it is fun seeing the different places of the world through your eyes. I have learned of some cities in countries I didn't know about that look fabulous in your photos. I would love a flickr meet that I could meet everyone from all over the world. There is such a variety of people on here it is great.
I have also learned a lot here on Flickr. I have learned about photographers I hadn't known before, cameras I haven't heard of before and about all the NYC labs and online labs. I have learned techniques I hadn't know before like HDR, I have never heard or seen it before using flickr and I would not have still known about it if I had not used flickr. The list goes on. Thanks everyone.
Gallery at www.larawechsler.com
I got an honorable mention at the New York Photo Festival's (NYPH) NY Photo Awards on May 15th in the category of "Best Student Personal work/ Fine Art-Single"
Coney Island: ... By Lara Wechsler
- www.street-photographers.com 249 photos, 4,608 members
- WNYC's Street Shots | Your NYC Photography 63,779 photos, 2,018 members
- Fuji X10, X20 and X30 118,618 photos, 6,941 members
- William Eggleston 83,496 photos, 3,020 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,152 photos, 78,880 members
- B&H Photo 36,086 photos, 6,713 members
- Flare Whore 7,619 photos, 1,355 members
- Vic Ruggiero 137 photos, 23 members
- Social Documentary Photographers Group. 39,247 photos, 1,594 members
- American Photo Creative Showcase 118,097 photos, 5,097 members
- street/phone/ography 20 photos, 38 members
- Brighton Beach, Brooklyn 745 photos, 86 members
- THIS SEASON'S BEST NATURE AND OUTDOOR PHOTOGRAPHY/ SPRING 2012 4,194 photos, 184 members
- I process my 120 film at Accurate Photo in Brooklyn! 151 photos, 30 members
- CL & CLE 5,541 photos, 396 members
- Your photo isn't really that great 697 photos, 1,242 members
- Dr Karanka's print stravaganza 371 photos, 256 members
- Coney Island is Alive and Kicking in 2009-2010! 1,231 photos, 329 members
- Lunasa Photos 10 photos, 21 members
- Handsome boy modeling skool. 2,073 photos, 264 members
- Uncommon Economic Indicators 468 photos, 112 members
- La Pura Vida presents 'Can't Pay the Rent' 23 photos, 71 members
- The Photo League 2 1,599 photos, 229 members
- InOrbit New York 180 photos, 368 members
- Justice for Willets Point, Queens 71 photos, 21 members
- New York GRITTY 1,108 photos, 156 members
- In ictu oculi 1,832 photos, 739 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 327,942 photos, 16,604 members
- a project for stephen harrison (borrowed_time) 49 photos, 45 members
- The Biggest Group! - Playground For Psychotics 880,472 photos, 8,080 members
- **The Street Photography Society** only 2 shots per week 301,921 photos, 11,052 members
- Street or Studio 1,969 photos, 2,388 members
- Classic Moments, the Book 90 photos, 83 members
- Vintage Miami Beach 358 photos, 65 members
- The Real Miami Beach 229 photos, 58 members
- Ladies Love Cool Christian 4 photos, 8 members
- An amazing non-existant group... 11 photos, 23 members
- soul freedom 2,144 photos, 126 members
- High and Low 186 photos, 338 members
- Photography Magazine, I Heart 666,969 photos, 16,801 members
- Goodbye Coney Island? 51 photos, 142 members
- Brownstoner 30,022 photos, 555 members
- F a c e E x p r e s s i o n s 7,744 photos, 387 members
- Street Dogs & Cats 18,741 photos, 2,827 members
- Wisdom Cries Out in The Streets. 69,296 photos, 1,756 members
- Lovely City! 346,136 photos, 10,606 members
- County of Kings Brooklyn NYC 9,095 photos, 391 members
- Moving masses 435 photos, 82 members
- Brooklynian 23,464 photos, 228 members
- Street Theatre (read the rules) 378 photos, 266 members
why do you do this to me?
just as i had reached the peak of mount olympus and i reveled in the glory of being all alone...there you were, waiting for me....
woe is vanity. oh, fates why do you torture me so? why do you taunt me with such talent, why did you introduce me to the like of shveckle?
must she be so other-worldly? must she be so fricken above-and-beyond? why do i have to climb and sweat and cry as i batter others down on my way to the top only to find her in quiet respose, waiting, whistling, wondering what took me so long.
Author of 25 Lessons I’ve Learned about Photography,
the #1 Photo Essay and Artist Biography on Amazon.com for 2010!
November 3rd, 2010
"An inspiration to many here on flickr and certainly me. Always love to see what she has going on, and what she has to say. She always speaks her mind."
June 11th, 2008
"Lara's street photography is sheer poetry, a formal mastery of composition, stunning use of shadows and above all the ability to capture ironic and distanced shots of street life in all its absurdity.
her warmth and humanism reminds me of the great Robert Doisneau. Lara a master in the making and remember where you saw her first."
August 26th, 2007
she's awe inspiring;
she's a dynamo of energy and ideas
all coherently making a brilliantly talented street photographer.
I have never failed to be impressed by her work or learn from her ventures into new terrain. She seems to be forever learning, expanding, and mastering a shooting situation before moving on. She does what every inspired photographer ought to do--continues shooting to hone her craft and never settles on her last great image.
Thank you Lara."
February 12th, 2007
"shveckle's images are that rare miracle -- NYC street photography that always manages to surprise. shevckle, a fearless photographer, is unable to shoot a cliché -- and her sometimes gritty but always deeply human look at the city is something to be truly cherished. and she always manages to find light -- and humanity -- even in the lowest light shots. thank you shveckle for all your work, and the generosity that makes you share it with us."
January 1st, 2007
jon madison says:
"she represents her NYC well (down to the name--from where else could Shveckle Havemeyer be :). i'm amazed and have been schooled and inspired by her work.
Thanks for spending some time 'round here."
December 19th, 2006
"I have nothing but amazing things to say about Shveckle. First of all, she is a friend true and tried with the test of time. But also, she has been a practicioner and lover of the art of photography for many years and I am so happy that in her most recent reincarnation as Renaissance Woman -- shveckle, woman, wife and mother -- she has in her own Shveckle way followed her passion for photography while still wearing all these hats!
There's a little of Shveckle in all these photos and I hope she will continue to bless the world with her point of view ..."
October 26th, 2006
"um i testify to her greatness and absurdity in all its glowiest terms!"
June 14th, 2006
- Lara Wechsler aka Shveckle Havameyer
- March 2006
- Brooklyn, United States
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Lara Wechsler Photography