All of the images posted here are actual photographs taken at night. Color was added using gels and flashlights and other imaginative means.
Because night photography collapses long periods of time into a single frame, it enables the photographer to capture magic. (Cf. Photoshop®, which enables one to manufacture magic.) There is an enormous difference between photographs and digitally-manipulated images.(*) To the extent the latter adds or subtracts information, it is factually misleading. And while I respect and appreciate the power of digital manipulation, it has impugned the authenticity of the photograph. If we identify the (un)manipulated photograph, we won't have to wonder whether magic actually entered the frame. It did.
(*) In my opinion, digital manipulation that does nothing more than what could be done in the darkroom does not fall into this category.
And for those interesting in learning about night photography, you simply have to visit Tim's site at: www.thenocturnes.com/
- KQED Science 2,380 photos, 326 members
- ARROW RING >poetry< 18 photos, 8 members
- Psicodelia Noturna 258 photos, 179 members
- I LOVE DOGS!!! 2,198 photos, 104 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 313,468 photos, 45,894 members
- 1, 2, 3 Colors - CORES DE ALMODÓVAR.... 3,484 photos, 324 members
- Paisagens em PB 566 photos, 294 members
- A alma pede silêncio.... 4,347 photos, 254 members
- Image + Imagination 6,036 photos, 245 members
- Architectural Elements 7,665 photos, 250 members
- The Art of Portraiture 22,725 photos, 879 members
- Seductive Floral Photography 3,685 photos, 228 members
- Golden Photographer (Invite Only Images and +10Faves) 24,996 photos, 5,391 members
- SF Bay Area Shooters (sfbas) 177,313 photos, 4,936 members
- Shield Of Excellence 552,030 photos, 40,718 members
- **A Big Fave (Invite Only) 478,182 photos, 63,426 members
- Monochrome Night Vision 703 photos, 77 members
- I Saw You First- Invited images only, post 1, invite 1 33,035 photos, 13,768 members
- d r e a m s c a p e s 535,609 photos, 21,106 members
- Artistic Photography 5,134,580 photos, 139,069 members
- Red Rule 660,726 photos, 57,965 members
- IN THE DARK 27,538 photos, 1,595 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,377,527 photos, 190,320 members
- Light STREAM___ 142,093 photos, 16,804 members
- Rusty Abandoned Cars 47,697 photos, 6,321 members
- nocturnal transmissions 16,850 photos, 544 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 620,161 photos, 18,365 members
- Night Crawlers 38,721 photos, 1,760 members
- Outstanding Night Shots- 15 or more faves only 924 photos, 816 members
- Night Lights 1,100,075 photos, 89,625 members
- ->> NiGht ShotS <<- 60,349 photos, 1,758 members
- Very Long Exposure (30 seconds or more) 64,886 photos, 6,233 members
- Night Landscapes -- Artificially Lit by Photographer 6,512 photos, 605 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 882,884 photos, 48,653 members
- Star Trails 25,595 photos, 11,906 members
- Colored Lights at Night 51,735 photos, 3,269 members
- Night Sky, The 69,207 photos, 7,081 members
- All by night! 22,395 photos, 504 members
- Critique Portfolio Pro - Photo Critiques and Discussions 3,446 photos, 1,689 members
- Full of colors 323,759 photos, 7,374 members
- Night Images 1,179,275 photos, 165,676 members
- Long Exposure 875,963 photos, 69,940 members
- Light Painting - The Real Deal 105,688 photos, 14,377 members
- Nocturnes 020307 and beyond 378 photos, 21 members
"Sherry's work truly represents a rare view of the night world, full of brilliantly painted color. She can bring the most mundane of subjects to life with vibrant colors and unseen (by those of us who are fortunate enough to work with her) angles. Her work is an additive process, more creation than capture and her color work reminds me a little of Pete Turner's beautiful acid jazz record labels."
June 26th, 2007
elegant cats says:
"Sherry’s images make you happy; they are good for your health, and you should view them as often as you can.
I love her fresh eyes and the crispness of her output; she could photograph a screwed up piece of paper and it would still be a compelling image that would stay with you.
Having trawled through thousands of images on flickr, you are grateful to come across a true photographer like Sherry; someone with real vision and genuine dedication that shines through in every single image.
The highest compliment to any photographer would be that they reinterpret reality and force you to look at something, which might already be quite familiar, in a new way. Sherry is precisely that kind of artist; she changes your way of seeing – it makes you grateful.
Thanks for opening my eyes!!"
May 26th, 2007
Denise Fuson says:
"As was o'heard on a long ago night shoot, "you can't buy eye". Sherry possesses that priceless, intangible eye that allows her to see the image before it is committed to the CF card. In fact, to see incredible images that are unseen and unimagined by those of us standing just feet away. And we are left wondering if we were even in the same space and time."
May 24th, 2007
- March 2007