I am a New Yorker, living in Manhattan, and as my stream will tell you, am completely in love with New York City.
I am a writer, working on my first novel, but photography is a real passion of mine. I never leave the house without my camera. I have never had any formal training in Photography, but cannot imagine not taking pictures. Ever.
I am what my pictures say I am. With me, what you see is what you get and then some...
I am just now starting to sell some of my art on Redbubble.
If there is something particular you are interested in, please email me.
IF YOU WOULD RATHER DEAL WITH ME DIRECTLY IN PURCHASING SOME OF MY ART, PLEASE JUST EMAIL ME ON HERE AND WE CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT.
- Polaroid Mishap 387 photos, 110 members
- Polaroid Fail! 266 photos, 40 members
- Pola-land 7,182 photos, 258 members
- Peel-Apart Instant Photography 9,813 photos, 548 members
- polaroid photograph 67,967 photos, 3,086 members
- Cameras only 3,721 photos, 88 members
- Show Me Your Camera. 3,298 photos, 231 members
- Camera Parade 3,786 photos, 301 members
- Vintage Camera Museum 11,706 photos, 1,358 members
- Polaroids 63,532 photos, 3,199 members
- Polaroid Photographers 58,744 photos, 2,547 members
- The Broken Hearted Society 1,124 photos, 330 members
- Tintypes, ambrotypes, Wet-plate Collodion photographs 12,209 photos, 2,029 members
- tintype 85 photos, 22 members
- CHRISTMAS*A Magical time of the year* 19,441 photos, 3,050 members
- Autumn Anywhere 51,358 photos, 4,338 members
- Autumn / Fall Colors and Themes 76,554 photos, 7,099 members
- REDBUBBLE'rs 1,329 photos, 115 members
- Bushwick, Brooklyn 4,114 photos, 350 members
- Sony DSLR Users 95,940 photos, 1,090 members
- Photoblend Pro 1 photo, 1 member
- Art of Urbex 102,403 photos, 3,330 members
- Urbex 84,167 photos, 2,725 members
- Abandoned Places and Things 453,115 photos, 15,145 members
- Abandoned Sites 61,444 photos, 2,502 members
- subway 32,524 photos, 3,825 members
- Today On The Subway 2,555 photos, 167 members
- Transportation 227,861 photos, 1,511 members
- Instagram world 49,631 photos, 4,313 members
- Rural Pennsylvania 15,939 photos, 761 members
- From the Train 13,350 photos, 1,084 members
- Choo Choo Views 1,543 photos, 132 members
- Sheds 2,856 photos, 555 members
- Photograph Salem 2,234 photos, 210 members
- Boats 299,959 photos, 24,328 members
- open art market 3,084 photos, 202 members
- ART FOR SALE 3,357 photos, 347 members
- CREATIVE MINDS 150,218 photos, 5,643 members
- TiltShift Generator 9,008 photos, 1,506 members
- HUH. Submissions 328,587 photos, 10,757 members
- °w°O°n°D°e°R°l°A°n°D° 1,798 photos, 288 members
- Is ALICE still in Wonderland? 8,097 photos, 953 members
- PsyPhoto 59,469 photos, 4,365 members
- Snow Pictures Around The World 45,350 photos, 5,751 members
- Creepy everything 4,532 photos, 424 members
- fire hydrants 3,808 photos, 900 members
- Painting with Acrylics 5,057 photos, 481 members
- Cut 'n' Paste 36,910 photos, 1,406 members
- Photomontage 35,290 photos, 2,863 members
- T-Shirts I luv 893 photos, 138 members
"Truth, I always like your photography since the second i saw one of your uploads.
You are truly in touch with your feeling and you're not shy to share with the rest of the world I love that about you it shows a strength that few are able to carry please never loose that ability.
Truth Manhattan girl with no real name given :) you are a true artist!!!!!!"
January 17th, 2011
bob merco says:
"I know I like Shelley's work because it fits into a category that covers the domestic to the bizarre. Her work brings back memories of my growing up in New York and I know if I were there now I would explore the very places she photographs. I always look forward to her comments and critiques. If I ever visit NYC you can be sure I will look her up."
December 4th, 2010
Lord V.™ says:
"My favorite newyorker, what else can i say?, i am a big follower of everything she does with the camera, she's got the touch, rebel, funny, fragile, she is a woman i cherish and respect, thank you for allowing me to be in your flikckr universe dear friend!"
October 27th, 2010
"Amazing talent for taken glimpes of time through the viewfinder of her camera......a wonderful woman....an proud to call a friend..!!!!"
July 7th, 2010
pam's pics- says:
"Shelly is an amazing photographer. She puts her soul and heart into every single picture that she shoots. She has such love for her city of NYC and her images show that love.
She's not afraid to show her vulnerable side and lay out her emotions for everyone to see.
She always has time to comment on other's shots. I have seen her get better and better in the time she has been my contact. I am always looking forward to seeing her images.
Do yourself a favor- if you haven't seen her work yet- do it.
You won't be disappointed
March 31st, 2010
"Whenever I am interested in viewing photographs that are interesting, unique, beautiful (in a unique Shelley way) introspective and highly controversial I turn towards the woman with a world of talent ShelleyKayCullen. And I look at her work every day over again. I find her (your) work so intelligent and so unique it is a must see for anyone looking to develop their own style. One day she should publish a book as I believe it would be extremely successful. Her talent and style put her far above anyone I have seen on flickr. Good luck to Shelley and I would be the first to buy a her book."
December 21st, 2009
bshotz....in ~ out says:
"Where to begin with a self-proclaimed laid back, kick-ass kind of girl. That's starting with the bar set pretty high.
But it is actually the perfect starting point. What lands Shelly in such a special place as a person and an artist is a rare blend of qualities - confidence, wit, candor, charm, passion, and compassion (to name a few) - that spill across her stream daily and compel people to connect with her world through her vision. And for Shelly it is seemingly all about a soul-driven vision.
She will be the first to tell you that she is possessor of minimal technical know-how, even as she consistently posts images that are met with the highest praise for their evocative impact. This is because Shelly is the embodiment of the argument that meaningful art is born from an expression of the inner self, however it is brought to light. In short, leave the jargon to camera buffs...and the art to artists.
Having said all that, I would be remiss if I didn't reveal Shelly's 'dirty little secret' (really no secret at all to those familiar with her work). She is a BRILLIANT cross-processor and post production specialist. And it is through the use of these skills that she transforms the everday into visually arresting imagery that invites some of the most engaging and witty threads of commentary on Flickr.
I have actually had the pleasure of shooting along side Shelly in New York. And the one thing from that experience that stood out above all else will come as no surprise to those who have come to know and love her...it was her complete sense of ease and connectedness to the city she loves so dearly as she composed yet another chapter in her ongoing visual autobiography. There was an effortlessness and fluidity to her movement that one would expect from an artist whose life's work streams across their monitor day after day like well-crafted cinema...never feeling forced, and yet defying predictability.
Shelly Kay holds one of the keys to the inner world of an artist that remains elusive to many of us...the ability to allow the self and art to merge into one. She can knock down all the pretenses, forget what the other person is doing, ignore what art is 'supposed' to look like, and just let her expressions become EXTENSIONS of her person. She is as genuine as they come, and I am so glad I have a place in her world."
December 6th, 2009
Ed Melia says:
"Flickr is absolutely drenched in talent, I could spend the rest of my life looking through this window at the extraordinary shots from all over the world. But what makes Shelly so special is that her shots are so unique and have their own utterly distinctive style; she's a true artist who bares her heart and soul and presents a tapestry of what real life is like in the most famous city on the planet. She's like a character from a De Lillo novel. The documentary style of this most non-fairytale of stories is a remarkable testament to her energy, candour and outstanding talent. I love to get some music on - Einaudi, Sigur Ros, Beth Orton, LCD Soundsystem, Hybrid, Velvets - and just hit the slideshow. In another time Shelly's apartment would have A.I.R. on it and the City would be paying her rent - that should happen now, cos I've never seen New York - and a devastatingly astonishingly extraordinary artist - represented in such a manifestation of what feels so real, with nothing hidden from how she sees the entirety of her world."
November 30th, 2009
"Shelly is very gifted !!! Rarely have i ever met someone who is so transparent / honest / heartfelt and a joy to know. Her body of work is as diverse as the city that she lives in.
I am always inspired by her work and it was because of her photostream i took my entire family to NY. , and was blessed with one of the best weekends ever ... although i was not able to meet her in person with cameras at the ready ... i hope that we will be able to in the future go on a camera day trip.
Shelly your devotion to your art is astonishing and continually forces me to take a harder look at my own art, and even to question it with fierce honesty and heart. You are a great reminder for learning to live life one day at a time ... and if need be 1 hour at a time. My prayers are with you and thank you
October 13th, 2009
The Outhouse says:
"Probably the most inspirational photo stream I have ever viewed, It had an immediate effect on me. This lady has a true raw natural talent for the Arts, and it is written all over her photography. I like an image that tells a story one that can capture me within the image even for the shortest of moments, one that conveys a message and invokes a reaction. ShellyKayCullen Images do this and more, they are honest true to life ART and they ooze emotion.
I now plan to be a bit more brave in my photography, I have up until now used Painting as my main Artistic and emotional outlet however this Lady has inspired me onto better things THANKS.
Go have a look for yourself you will not be dissapointed."
July 20th, 2009
- June 2009
- I am:
- Female and Single
- I'm bored with this question