I am a New Yorker, living in Manhattan, and as my stream will tell you, am completely in love with New York City.
I am a writer, working on my first novel, but photography is a real passion of mine. I never leave the house without my camera. I have never had any formal training in Photography, but cannot imagine not taking pictures. Ever.
I am what my pictures say I am. With me, what you see is what you get and then some...
I am just now starting to sell some of my art on Redbubble.
If there is something particular you are interested in, please email me.
IF YOU WOULD RATHER DEAL WITH ME DIRECTLY IN PURCHASING SOME OF MY ART, PLEASE JUST EMAIL ME ON HERE AND WE CAN WORK SOMETHING OUT.
- TiltShift Generator 9,040 photos, 1,515 members
- HUH. Submissions 272,079 photos, 9,790 members
- °w°O°n°D°e°R°l°A°n°D° 1,703 photos, 288 members
- Is ALICE still in Wonderland? 6,799 photos, 919 members
- !Psychoflickr! 60,074 photos, 4,330 members
- Snow Pictures Around The World 27,037 photos, 3,695 members
- Creepy everything 2,116 photos, 250 members
- fire hydrants 3,671 photos, 869 members
- Painting with Acrylics 3,434 photos, 382 members
- Cut 'n' Paste 31,533 photos, 1,349 members
- Photomontage 29,908 photos, 2,660 members
- T-Shirts I luv 774 photos, 134 members
- Collage Kids 39,392 photos, 2,346 members
- Collage Crazy 90,993 photos, 6,467 members
- I Make Collages 40,035 photos, 2,146 members
- collage casual 7,125 photos, 281 members
- Collage for beginners (like me...) 16,557 photos, 1,860 members
- Seasons on me 35,903 photos, 1,576 members
- Nikon Coolpix Users (formerly Addicts) Group 75,259 photos, 2,025 members
- Portraits Only 202,242 photos, 10,737 members
- Chinatown 28,182 photos, 7,258 members
- Cityscape and urban scenary 81,574 photos, 2,944 members
- trains 240,595 photos, 9,705 members
- Train Photography 158,832 photos, 5,486 members
- Android Photographer 48,221 photos, 3,753 members
- Sunrise and Sunset 113,911 photos, 8,344 members
- After Dark - Night Photography 516,199 photos, 33,046 members
- Night Lights 604,135 photos, 57,485 members
- Night Images 949,043 photos, 123,240 members
- FLICKR NIGHTSHOTS 3,840 photos, 294 members
- No Flash Pictures, 135 members 2,755 photos, 136 members
- Bokeh-holics Anonymous 147,543 photos, 7,727 members
- Countryside & Nature 68,109 photos, 2,020 members
- Countryside 42,388 photos, 2,212 members
- Landscapes of the World 351,387 photos, 13,045 members
- Landscape 827,576 photos, 78,162 members
- Landscape Beauty ! 732,755 photos, 32,296 members
- Landscapes!!! 274,836 photos, 16,892 members
- Rural Photos 27,566 photos, 1,051 members
- Barns and Farms 14,903 photos, 1,093 members
- Farmland 8,158 photos, 498 members
- Life On The Farm 16,972 photos, 1,351 members
- Farm and farmer 39,563 photos, 3,691 members
- New England Photo 50,710 photos, 1,619 members
- Anything Abandoned 7,326 photos, 152 members
- Eerie, creepy or spooky places 99,626 photos, 6,884 members
- "Old Barns" 4,290 photos, 522 members
- Barns 45,194 photos, 4,723 members
- ~~~~~~~~ High Voltage ~~~~~~~~~~ 1,935 photos, 296 members
- The beauty of the electricity pillar 529 photos, 142 members
"Truth, I always like your photography since the second i saw one of your uploads.
You are truly in touch with your feeling and you're not shy to share with the rest of the world I love that about you it shows a strength that few are able to carry please never loose that ability.
Truth Manhattan girl with no real name given :) you are a true artist!!!!!!"
17th January, 2011
bob merco says:
"I know I like Shelley's work because it fits into a category that covers the domestic to the bizarre. Her work brings back memories of my growing up in New York and I know if I were there now I would explore the very places she photographs. I always look forward to her comments and critiques. If I ever visit NYC you can be sure I will look her up."
4th December, 2010
Lord V.™ says:
"My favorite newyorker, what else can i say?, i am a big follower of everything she does with the camera, she's got the touch, rebel, funny, fragile, she is a woman i cherish and respect, thank you for allowing me to be in your flikckr universe dear friend!"
27th October, 2010
"Amazing talent for taken glimpes of time through the viewfinder of her camera......a wonderful woman....an proud to call a friend..!!!!"
7th July, 2010
pam's pics- says:
"Shelly is an amazing photographer. She puts her soul and heart into every single picture that she shoots. She has such love for her city of NYC and her images show that love.
She's not afraid to show her vulnerable side and lay out her emotions for everyone to see.
She always has time to comment on other's shots. I have seen her get better and better in the time she has been my contact. I am always looking forward to seeing her images.
Do yourself a favor- if you haven't seen her work yet- do it.
You won't be disappointed
31st March, 2010
"Whenever I am interested in viewing photographs that are interesting, unique, beautiful (in a unique Shelley way) introspective and highly controversial I turn towards the woman with a world of talent ShelleyKayCullen. And I look at her work every day over again. I find her (your) work so intelligent and so unique it is a must see for anyone looking to develop their own style. One day she should publish a book as I believe it would be extremely successful. Her talent and style put her far above anyone I have seen on flickr. Good luck to Shelley and I would be the first to buy a her book."
21st December, 2009
bshotz....in ~ out says:
"Where to begin with a self-proclaimed laid back, kick-ass kind of girl. That's starting with the bar set pretty high.
But it is actually the perfect starting point. What lands Shelly in such a special place as a person and an artist is a rare blend of qualities - confidence, wit, candor, charm, passion, and compassion (to name a few) - that spill across her stream daily and compel people to connect with her world through her vision. And for Shelly it is seemingly all about a soul-driven vision.
She will be the first to tell you that she is possessor of minimal technical know-how, even as she consistently posts images that are met with the highest praise for their evocative impact. This is because Shelly is the embodiment of the argument that meaningful art is born from an expression of the inner self, however it is brought to light. In short, leave the jargon to camera buffs...and the art to artists.
Having said all that, I would be remiss if I didn't reveal Shelly's 'dirty little secret' (really no secret at all to those familiar with her work). She is a BRILLIANT cross-processor and post production specialist. And it is through the use of these skills that she transforms the everday into visually arresting imagery that invites some of the most engaging and witty threads of commentary on Flickr.
I have actually had the pleasure of shooting along side Shelly in New York. And the one thing from that experience that stood out above all else will come as no surprise to those who have come to know and love her...it was her complete sense of ease and connectedness to the city she loves so dearly as she composed yet another chapter in her ongoing visual autobiography. There was an effortlessness and fluidity to her movement that one would expect from an artist whose life's work streams across their monitor day after day like well-crafted cinema...never feeling forced, and yet defying predictability.
Shelly Kay holds one of the keys to the inner world of an artist that remains elusive to many of us...the ability to allow the self and art to merge into one. She can knock down all the pretenses, forget what the other person is doing, ignore what art is 'supposed' to look like, and just let her expressions become EXTENSIONS of her person. She is as genuine as they come, and I am so glad I have a place in her world."
6th December, 2009
Ed Melia says:
"Flickr is absolutely drenched in talent, I could spend the rest of my life looking through this window at the extraordinary shots from all over the world. But what makes Shelly so special is that her shots are so unique and have their own utterly distinctive style; she's a true artist who bares her heart and soul and presents a tapestry of what real life is like in the most famous city on the planet. She's like a character from a De Lillo novel. The documentary style of this most non-fairytale of stories is a remarkable testament to her energy, candour and outstanding talent. I love to get some music on - Einaudi, Sigur Ros, Beth Orton, LCD Soundsystem, Hybrid, Velvets - and just hit the slideshow. In another time Shelly's apartment would have A.I.R. on it and the City would be paying her rent - that should happen now, cos I've never seen New York - and a devastatingly astonishingly extraordinary artist - represented in such a manifestation of what feels so real, with nothing hidden from how she sees the entirety of her world."
30th November, 2009
"Shelly is very gifted !!! Rarely have i ever met someone who is so transparent / honest / heartfelt and a joy to know. Her body of work is as diverse as the city that she lives in.
I am always inspired by her work and it was because of her photostream i took my entire family to NY. , and was blessed with one of the best weekends ever ... although i was not able to meet her in person with cameras at the ready ... i hope that we will be able to in the future go on a camera day trip.
Shelly your devotion to your art is astonishing and continually forces me to take a harder look at my own art, and even to question it with fierce honesty and heart. You are a great reminder for learning to live life one day at a time ... and if need be 1 hour at a time. My prayers are with you and thank you
13th October, 2009
The Outhouse says:
"Probably the most inspirational photo stream I have ever viewed, It had an immediate effect on me. This lady has a true raw natural talent for the Arts, and it is written all over her photography. I like an image that tells a story one that can capture me within the image even for the shortest of moments, one that conveys a message and invokes a reaction. ShellyKayCullen Images do this and more, they are honest true to life ART and they ooze emotion.
I now plan to be a bit more brave in my photography, I have up until now used Painting as my main Artistic and emotional outlet however this Lady has inspired me onto better things THANKS.
Go have a look for yourself you will not be dissapointed."
20th July, 2009
- June 2009
- I am:
- Female and Single
- I'm bored with this question