I'm Stewart and I'm semi-detached. I work, rest and play in Edinburgh, for the most part. I did a wee course in photography as a student and hated it with a passion. However, in 2007 I was given a little digital camera and bit by bit came to love it. It's funny how things change.
My main interests are architecture (gritty urban architecture being a particular favourite but polished and untouched I will also take pics of - I'm not fussy, but I do know what I like). London and Glasgow are particular faves but I don't have time to go to these cities as much as I'd like so a lot of my architecture pictures are of auld reekie (which isn't so bad!).
Also landscapes, of which Scotland seems to provide a cornucopia of stunningness - pictures (my pictures at least) are pretty much a pale recollection. But they serve to remind of the sheer beauty of the place.
I tend to take less landscape pictures than architecture pictures because you can always guarantee that a building will be in the same place you left it, with fairly similar light (some will disagree about that) whereas the incredibly capricious scottish weather can wreck your plans to capture the perfect landscape in an instant - and when you've drive a couple of hours to do it you (definitely me) get a little miffed. When it works it tends to work big time; when more often it doesn't it really doesn't. Some of the flickr-ites on here are far, far more patient than I am and you can see it in their results.
Anyway, just pop me a line if you're interested in anything inparticular on my photostream. I should reply in a day or so.
Photos of Semi-detached (5)
- LONDON LONDON LONDON 122,548 photos, 7,793 members
- I am Paris - Je suis Paris 3,876 photos, 304 members
- Pray for Paris 68 photos, 22 members
- Peace 4 Paris 1,583 photos, 392 members
- Crail Food Festival 1,529 photos, 8 members
- Outdoor Photographer Magazine (Unofficial) 798,893 photos, 16,224 members
- Popular Photography Magazine 815,813 photos, 13,062 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 743,863 photos, 15,844 members
- I ♥ Black and White 13,067 photos, 274 members
- Long Exposure Junkies 50+ faves 1,009 photos, 2,295 members
- GoPro Greats 13,378 photos, 2,237 members
- Gopro Hero 3 Black Edition 12,503 photos, 2,683 members
- Street Photography 3,364 photos, 45,302 members
- Street Photography Blog 1,694,195 photos, 53,475 members
- photo[Slap] 37,047 photos, 3,129 members
- Ansel Adams at the National Maritime Museum 4,775 photos, 360 members
- British Photographers 516,048 photos, 5,230 members
- Street Photography & Candid Street Portrait (The Very Best) 10,849 photos, 6,970 members
- Edinburgh snow! 1,065 photos, 71 members
- Guardian Edinburgh 3,375 photos, 157 members
- Big Things on the Beach 79 photos, 29 members
- Architect Sir Basil Spence 735 photos, 154 members
- Flickr Walkabout Group 11,969 photos, 1,713 members
- Typography and Lettering 185,746 photos, 29,631 members
- 25 to 49 Faves (Post 1, Comment and Fave 2) 82,615 photos, 2,492 members
- OPTIME GALLERY *Closed* 9,569 photos, 114 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges 166,392 photos, 16,286 members
- University of Edinburgh photos 668 photos, 97 members
- *SHINING★STAR - Post 1- Give 5 Stars 935,524 photos, 28,861 members
- Edinburgh Festivals 2010 5,055 photos, 351 members
- WONDERFUL WORLD OF BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE (P1 / A1 ) 118,763 photos, 4,834 members
- Graphic Designers Moonlighting as Photographers 327,758 photos, 25,134 members
- Guardian Camera Club 25,677 photos, 12,533 members
- Urban Scotland 14,788 photos, 358 members
- Geo-mapped Summer Staycation 2009 1,295 photos, 360 members
- Scotland on the map 35,199 photos, 750 members
- Nikon flickr Award (Post 1 - Award 3) 871,430 photos, 28,661 members
- Top 20 Architectural Photos 19 photos, 663 members
- Ministract 37,749 photos, 1,094 members
- top-f [ 25+ faves ] 101,713 photos, 13,392 members
- Riisli Gallery 15,318 photos, 1,122 members
- Camera Club © 248 photos, 25 members
- art of landscape 2,076 photos, 15,265 members
- Improvised Images 51 photos, 38 members
- Great Scottish photography. 18,227 photos, 875 members
- Absolute Scotland 20,004 photos, 330 members
- HYM Club 380 photos, 35 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 6,206 photos, 244 members
- Long Exposure 878,437 photos, 69,888 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 332,779 photos, 16,586 members
"Has my attention, a truly captivating photostream. Seems to have an eye for detail, wherever it may be. As a result of seeing this work, I am going to try even harder to think outside the box and perhaps treat the smaller scene with as much respect as those landscapes I lust after.
I am inspired :)
June 11th, 2009
yushimoto_02 [christian] says:
"It’s a true pleasure to write a testimonial for Stewart. The discovery of Stewart’s photography is definitely one of my personal highlights in Flickr. Stewart’s speaks a very personal and clear language in his pictures – his compositions are very captivating, they are very artistic and colourful. He shows us unusual perspectives and he is one the few photographers I know, that produce great, futuristic looking compositions. So don’t miss any of Stewart’s shots! I am definitely looking forward to see more of Stewart’s work!"
December 27th, 2008
"I remember this photostream as being one of the first to catch my eye on Flickr. Stewart's work is immediately captivating - full of vibrant colours, creative angles and unusual perspectives. A genius at digital manipulation, Stewart pushes the boundaries to produce results which continually impress and show Scotland (and beyond) in a new way. It's a photostream which is always inspiring and challenging - one definitely worth learning new ideas from. Thanks!"
September 12th, 2008
"Mel shows great talent throughout his stream. Colors bounce off of the page into your lap . Image to image is filled with emotion and moods that captivate the viewer. :)"
April 8th, 2008
proud trousers says:
"His pictures are all priceless. He seems to know all the tricks. His photostream has all the colors in the world. He's very creative."
April 6th, 2008
"One of my favourite photographers on flickr.
He produces great work, always seems to choose the best or most unique angle and has an eye for great geometric shapes which I particularly enjoy.
Clearly also an adept at post-processing but equally matches this with the quality of his shooting in the first instance.
Keep up the great work, Semi-detached. :)
January 30th, 2008
- May 2006
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- I am: