I'm Stewart and I'm semi-detached. I work, rest and play in Edinburgh, for the most part. I did a wee course in photography as a student and hated it with a passion. However, in 2007 I was given a little digital camera and bit by bit came to love it. It's funny how things change.
My main interests are architecture (gritty urban architecture being a particular favourite but polished and untouched I will also take pics of - I'm not fussy, but I do know what I like). London and Glasgow are particular faves but I don't have time to go to these cities as much as I'd like so a lot of my architecture pictures are of auld reekie (which isn't so bad!).
Also landscapes, of which Scotland seems to provide a cornucopia of stunningness - pictures (my pictures at least) are pretty much a pale recollection. But they serve to remind of the sheer beauty of the place.
I tend to take less landscape pictures than architecture pictures because you can always guarantee that a building will be in the same place you left it, with fairly similar light (some will disagree about that) whereas the incredibly capricious scottish weather can wreck your plans to capture the perfect landscape in an instant - and when you've drive a couple of hours to do it you (definitely me) get a little miffed. When it works it tends to work big time; when more often it doesn't it really doesn't. Some of the flickr-ites on here are far, far more patient than I am and you can see it in their results.
Anyway, just pop me a line if you're interested in anything inparticular on my photostream. I should reply in a day or so.
Photos of Semi-detached (2)
- LONDON LONDON LONDON 77,513 photos, 6,005 members
- I am Paris - Je suis Paris 3,189 photos, 308 members
- Pray for Paris 74 photos, 24 members
- Peace 4 Paris 1,683 photos, 420 members
- Crail Food Festival 1,535 photos, 9 members
- Outdoor Photographer Magazine (Unofficial) 638,521 photos, 14,556 members
- Popular Photography Magazine 660,973 photos, 12,235 members
- Digital SLR Photography Magazine 572,049 photos, 14,290 members
- I ♥ Black and White 12,883 photos, 276 members
- Long Exposure Junkies 50+ faves 1,041 photos, 1,882 members
- GoPro Greats 10,328 photos, 1,925 members
- Gopro Hero 3 Black Edition 11,613 photos, 2,656 members
- Street Photography 3,209 photos, 43,889 members
- Street Photography Blog 1,358,970 photos, 43,855 members
- photo[Slap] 36,828 photos, 3,036 members
- Ansel Adams at the National Maritime Museum 4,349 photos, 376 members
- British Photographers 433,305 photos, 4,958 members
- Street Photography & Candid Street Portrait (The Very Best) 11,070 photos, 6,980 members
- Edinburgh snow! 1,053 photos, 71 members
- Guardian Edinburgh 3,423 photos, 161 members
- Big Things on the Beach 72 photos, 28 members
- Architect Sir Basil Spence 720 photos, 143 members
- Flickr Walkabout Group 10,245 photos, 1,727 members
- Typography and Lettering 181,278 photos, 29,233 members
- 25 to 49 Faves (Post 1, Comment and Fave 2) 66,037 photos, 2,255 members
- OPTIME GALLERY *Closed* 9,645 photos, 116 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges 152,484 photos, 16,247 members
- University of Edinburgh photos 503 photos, 76 members
- *SHINING★STAR - Post 1- Give 5 Stars 921,332 photos, 28,928 members
- Edinburgh Festivals 2010 5,175 photos, 351 members
- WONDERFUL WORLD OF BUILDINGS / ARCHITECTURE (P1 / A1 ) 98,348 photos, 4,688 members
- Graphic Designers Moonlighting as Photographers 310,134 photos, 24,373 members
- Guardian Camera Club 26,102 photos, 12,866 members
- Urban Scotland 13,838 photos, 359 members
- Geo-mapped Summer Staycation 2009 1,339 photos, 369 members
- Scotland on the map 29,284 photos, 621 members
- Nikon flickr Award (Post 1 - Award 3) 821,922 photos, 28,425 members
- Top 20 Architectural Photos 19 photos, 665 members
- Ministract 37,997 photos, 1,129 members
- top-f [ 25+ faves ] 88,897 photos, 13,431 members
- Riisli Gallery 14,022 photos, 1,124 members
- Camera Club © 248 photos, 25 members
- art of landscape 2,102 photos, 15,136 members
- Improvised Images 51 photos, 39 members
- Great Scottish photography. 18,629 photos, 872 members
- Absolute Scotland 16,156 photos, 282 members
- HYM Club 380 photos, 35 members
- #3/...flickrjob's third 5,754 photos, 228 members
- Long Exposure 824,505 photos, 66,694 members
- Sigma 10-20mm 324,277 photos, 16,534 members
"Has my attention, a truly captivating photostream. Seems to have an eye for detail, wherever it may be. As a result of seeing this work, I am going to try even harder to think outside the box and perhaps treat the smaller scene with as much respect as those landscapes I lust after.
I am inspired :)
June 11th, 2009
yushimoto_02 [christian] says:
"It’s a true pleasure to write a testimonial for Stewart. The discovery of Stewart’s photography is definitely one of my personal highlights in Flickr. Stewart’s speaks a very personal and clear language in his pictures – his compositions are very captivating, they are very artistic and colourful. He shows us unusual perspectives and he is one the few photographers I know, that produce great, futuristic looking compositions. So don’t miss any of Stewart’s shots! I am definitely looking forward to see more of Stewart’s work!"
December 27th, 2008
"I remember this photostream as being one of the first to catch my eye on Flickr. Stewart's work is immediately captivating - full of vibrant colours, creative angles and unusual perspectives. A genius at digital manipulation, Stewart pushes the boundaries to produce results which continually impress and show Scotland (and beyond) in a new way. It's a photostream which is always inspiring and challenging - one definitely worth learning new ideas from. Thanks!"
September 12th, 2008
"Mel shows great talent throughout his stream. Colors bounce off of the page into your lap . Image to image is filled with emotion and moods that captivate the viewer. :)"
April 8th, 2008
Alessandro Coiro Mas says:
"His pictures are all priceless. He seems to know all the tricks. His photostream has all the colors in the world. He's very creative."
April 6th, 2008
"One of my favourite photographers on flickr.
He produces great work, always seems to choose the best or most unique angle and has an eye for great geometric shapes which I particularly enjoy.
Clearly also an adept at post-processing but equally matches this with the quality of his shooting in the first instance.
Keep up the great work, Semi-detached. :)
January 30th, 2008
- May 2006
- Edinburgh, Scotland
- I am: