Experienced amateur photographer trying to understand what I photograph
Born December 29, 1950 Detroit, Michigan USA
I have a book of my From the Archives photographs Here:
- Good Street 131 photos, 65 members
- Rambles 187 photos, 337 members
- Photography Is My Drug ☆ P.I.M.D. 1,187 photos, 1,210 members
- Street hard 58 photos, 192 members
- Фотографија / Photography 19,592 photos, 880 members
- Global Street Photography 15,394 photos, 1,312 members
- Alter Vista 111 photos, 49 members
- /Under Construction\ Street Photography Competition 62 photos, 692 members
- Postcards from France 195 photos, 181 members
- Stolen Ground 7,932 photos, 1,904 members
- Editions Croque-Madame: AMERTUME 205 photos, 185 members
- APF Magazine Street Photography Group 532 photos, 3,008 members
- Tembea Na Mimi - The Walking Artist 806 photos, 53 members
- One face 179 photos, 204 members
- Streets on film 984 photos, 244 members
- Double X Street 301 photos, 159 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 03 93 photos, 141 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 02 57 photos, 108 members
- Decisive Moment 59,761 photos, 36,703 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 3,686 photos, 246 members
- America Is Dead 655 photos, 51 members
- Hands 164 photos, 402 members
- Burn My Eye Photography Contest "ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD 149 photos, 460 members
- The Asphalt Jungle 137 photos, 80 members
- Smoking Streets 1,712 photos, 320 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 436 photos, 307 members
- Creative Street Photography 7,286 photos, 683 members
- Third Dimension 201 photos, 333 members
- Flare Whore 7,038 photos, 1,266 members
- Street Photography Online Gallery 65 photos, 72 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - # 03 110 photos, 148 members
- Leica World Street Photography competition 170 photos, 159 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - # 02 131 photos, 158 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - # 01 121 photos, 203 members
- Hardcore Street Photography en Français (HCSP-Fr) 24,144 photos, 2,220 members
- Risked Returning 1,000 photos, 1,859 members
- -seen through- street 2,024 photos, 749 members
- The Sandman Cometh 723 photos, 293 members
- Altered States Of Agoraphobia (II) American Invasion 166 photos, 44 members
- Erwitt and his Dogs 550 photos, 245 members
- "LOOKING AROUND IN B&W" 17,429 photos, 287 members
- UNPHASED 277 photos, 163 members
- Elite Street Photography 766 photos, 5,312 members
- Street Legal 4,083 photos, 529 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 802 photos, 298 members
- un-posed.com 2,319 photos, 1,593 members
- Magnum Showcase (Moderated) 1,731 photos, 647 members
- Figurations de l'absence 259 photos, 192 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 8,206 photos, 300 members
- Kissing Eyes Magazine 49,857 photos, 1,785 members
"So I just had a little Eureka moment & wanted to share it here (with Don & you too). Don's work reminds me of the classic, beloved film, "The Wizard of Oz" -- no not the books, but the film adaptation. At first, there's the black & white opening section -- full of characters and tensions and if it continued on in that vein, well you'd be very happy indeed.
Yet, suddenly there's a change in the air & atmosphere... and now we're captivated by amazing technicolor... a song and dance which doesn't make the viewer wholly forget what came before in monotone, but everything seems truly different. The color adds, doesn't detract. There are still intriguing characters, but now events have become more phantasmagorical, offbeat & out of this world. His shifting into color seemingly highlights more than just that element in the mix.
Don's archives (Get The Book!) are breathtaking and an endless trove of young Don's constant attention to the details of whatever surrounded him then. When he moved on to color and other newer tools, his already honed skills didn't forsake him, but they did necessarily engage with this newfangled world in another way.
Taken together, the combination makes for a more complete vision. There's the banal beauty of the before and then the magic of the middle journey, so in the end... we can make it home with a fuller understanding of what it means to be human. There's our foibles, our flaws... and also friends and family.
As in the film, Don (our Wizard) has quite a sense of humor that's coupled with his intelligent humility. Do pay attention to that man behind the curtain toting his bag of subtle tricks that somehow lets us know, lets us see ourselves and the real magic that's always around us so much better. Looking at Don's varied work, I'm always aware that it has been achieved by someone who is in command of his triple threat gifts of brains, heart & courage."
April 22nd, 2013
Frank Eleveld says:
"Don Hudson is gifted with the eye and timing to make witty, high-quality portraits of America. A single image of his often says more than could be contained in lengthy essays. His archives of the 1970s and early 80s are downright fantastic, with every image a time capsule of that era, and his contemporary shots being classics in their own way already."
November 23rd, 2011
"Don sees himself as an "experienced amateur photographer trying to understand what he photographs". Well, even if he doesn´t, the results are truly amazing. Well Don(e)! FloydMcLloyd"
September 21st, 2010
"The reason I enjoy Don's photographs so much is that he is sharing from both the past and the present. You can study these photos and see that he hasn't been content to master just one kind of photography but rather has challenged himself to go out and push into new styles and aesthetics. His newer images continuously impress me and those he shares out of his archives almost always bring a smile to my face (not just out of nostalgia, but because they are also damn, fine images)."
September 11th, 2010
two lane blacktop says:
"Don's photos are something to look forward to every morning with my coffee.
A great documentary photographer of the great upper Midwestern empire, his lifetime of work would be widely published and well-known in a more just world."
December 22nd, 2009
- Don Hudson
- February 2009
- South Lyon, Michigan, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Amateur Photographer
- Burn My Eye