Experienced amateur photographer trying to understand what I photograph
Born December 29, 1950 Detroit, Michigan USA
I have a book of my From the Archives photographs Here:
- /Under Construction\ Street Photography Competition 290 photos, 516 members
- Postcards from France 130 photos, 146 members
- Stolen Ground 4,079 photos, 1,539 members
- Editions Croque-Madame: AMERTUME 215 photos, 184 members
- APF Magazine Street Photography Group 189 photos, 1,441 members
- Tembea Na Mimi - The Walking Artist 348 photos, 55 members
- One face 128 photos, 158 members
- Streets on film 743 photos, 180 members
- Double X Street 113 photos, 111 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 03 100 photos, 149 members
- SPNC - Year 4 - # 02 65 photos, 115 members
- Decisive Moment 65,024 photos, 27,816 members
- Cadillac Ranch Dressing 2,960 photos, 225 members
- America Is Dead 614 photos, 53 members
- Hands 118 photos, 347 members
- Burn My Eye Photography Contest "ON THE BRIGHT SIDE OF THE ROAD 154 photos, 462 members
- The Asphalt Jungle 112 photos, 52 members
- Smoking Streets 1,154 photos, 240 members
- Vertical Framing Street Photography 426 photos, 293 members
- Creative Street Photography 4,295 photos, 363 members
- Third Dimension 181 photos, 279 members
- Flare Whore 5,460 photos, 1,021 members
- Street Photography Online Gallery 71 photos, 68 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - # 03 116 photos, 159 members
- Leica World Street Photography competition 180 photos, 156 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - # 02 140 photos, 167 members
- SPNC - Year 3 - # 01 126 photos, 217 members
- SP meet-up for NYC Winogrand Show summer 2014 3 photos, 10 members
- Hardcore Street Photography en Français (HCSP-Fr) 13,025 photos, 1,295 members
- Risked Returning 959 photos, 1,828 members
- -seen through- street 1,563 photos, 427 members
- The Sandman Cometh 550 photos, 248 members
- Altered States Of Agoraphobia (II) American Invasion 176 photos, 47 members
- Erwitt and his Dogs 553 photos, 230 members
- "LOOKING AROUND IN B&W" 11,959 photos, 269 members
- www.street-photographers.com 263 photos, 4,586 members
- UNPHASED 285 photos, 174 members
- Elite Street Photography 764 photos, 4,063 members
- Street Legal 3,097 photos, 422 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 606 photos, 242 members
- un-posed.com 1,860 photos, 1,137 members
- Magnum Showcase (Moderated) 1,812 photos, 593 members
- Figurations de l'absence 267 photos, 193 members
- VERTICAL LIBERATION FRONT 6,972 photos, 255 members
- Kissing Eyes Magazine 31,184 photos, 1,386 members
- Alec Soth Flickr Project 264 photos, 219 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - # 01 181 photos, 276 members
- 52 Weeks of the Street Photography Now Project 165 photos, 293 members
- Instruction #52 279 photos, 374 members
- The democratic photograph 13,053 photos, 493 members
"So I just had a little Eureka moment & wanted to share it here (with Don & you too). Don's work reminds me of the classic, beloved film, "The Wizard of Oz" -- no not the books, but the film adaptation. At first, there's the black & white opening section -- full of characters and tensions and if it continued on in that vein, well you'd be very happy indeed.
Yet, suddenly there's a change in the air & atmosphere... and now we're captivated by amazing technicolor... a song and dance which doesn't make the viewer wholly forget what came before in monotone, but everything seems truly different. The color adds, doesn't detract. There are still intriguing characters, but now events have become more phantasmagorical, offbeat & out of this world. His shifting into color seemingly highlights more than just that element in the mix.
Don's archives (Get The Book!) are breathtaking and an endless trove of young Don's constant attention to the details of whatever surrounded him then. When he moved on to color and other newer tools, his already honed skills didn't forsake him, but they did necessarily engage with this newfangled world in another way.
Taken together, the combination makes for a more complete vision. There's the banal beauty of the before and then the magic of the middle journey, so in the end... we can make it home with a fuller understanding of what it means to be human. There's our foibles, our flaws... and also friends and family.
As in the film, Don (our Wizard) has quite a sense of humor that's coupled with his intelligent humility. Do pay attention to that man behind the curtain toting his bag of subtle tricks that somehow lets us know, lets us see ourselves and the real magic that's always around us so much better. Looking at Don's varied work, I'm always aware that it has been achieved by someone who is in command of his triple threat gifts of brains, heart & courage."
April 22nd, 2013
Frank Eleveld says:
"Don Hudson is gifted with the eye and timing to make witty, high-quality portraits of America. A single image of his often says more than could be contained in lengthy essays. His archives of the 1970s and early 80s are downright fantastic, with every image a time capsule of that era, and his contemporary shots being classics in their own way already."
November 23rd, 2011
"Don sees himself as an "experienced amateur photographer trying to understand what he photographs". Well, even if he doesn´t, the results are truly amazing. Well Don(e)! FloydMcLloyd"
September 21st, 2010
"The reason I enjoy Don's photographs so much is that he is sharing from both the past and the present. You can study these photos and see that he hasn't been content to master just one kind of photography but rather has challenged himself to go out and push into new styles and aesthetics. His newer images continuously impress me and those he shares out of his archives almost always bring a smile to my face (not just out of nostalgia, but because they are also damn, fine images)."
September 11th, 2010
two lane blacktop says:
"Don's photos are something to look forward to every morning with my coffee.
A great documentary photographer of the great upper Midwestern empire, his lifetime of work would be widely published and well-known in a more just world."
December 22nd, 2009
- Don Hudson
- February 2009
- South Lyon, Michigan, US
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Amateur Photographer
- Burn My Eye