my mind must think
my soul must create
my body must move
I cannot sit still
See my most interesting photos here
Vida Morkunas grew up in Montreal and obtained a baccalaureate in music (piano) before earning a Bachelor of Arts followed by graduate studies in Computer Science at McGill, and an MBA at Simon Fraser University.
She is an enthusiastic hiker, kayaker, yoga practitioner and runner who documents her adventures in still images and stop-motion films using high-end digital cameras.
Vida’s outdoors wilderness images are licensed to the Washington State Tourism web site. Her work is also featured in a recently-published book about portrait photography. Vida's outdoors photography was shown at Exposure Gallery in Vancouver in the following expositions in 2006: "Vancouver", “Big Pictures”, “Pictures With Stories”, “Summer Salon” and "Winter Salon". Her work also appeared in CBC’s Zed and Radio3 – and was featured in a seven-minute segment on Radio Canada. In 2007, one of her photographs from Ross Lake was featured in Sundance and SXSW in a short film directed by Laura Dunn and executive produced by Robert Redford. Vida continues to show her work, most recently at the Yaletown Gallery in Vancouver in March 2008, part of the Landscapes of Vancouver exhibition.
Vida currently resides in Vancouver, BC Canada
create your own visited country map
or check our Venice travel guide
Current Photo Equipment
Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera
Canon EOS 350D Rebel XT Infrared camera
Canon EOS 500D Rebel T1i camera
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5L IS USM
Canon EFS 10-22mm f/3.5 USM
Sigma EX 15mm f/2.8 DG Fisheye Lens
Cokin P-Series Filters (ND4, ND8, Grad-ND8, IR, Gels)
Canon SX30 IS
NIKON COOLPIX P6000
Canon IXUS S400 Ultracompact
iPhone Cameraphone (g'bye Treo 600, we hardly knew ye)
- Atmospheric perspective - Blåner 6,266 photos, 605 members
- MOUNTAIN 172,534 photos, 12,769 members
- Westmorland 607 photos, 34 members
- Yorkshire Dales (National Park) 38,239 photos, 2,159 members
- Seascapes North East 12,155 photos, 608 members
- Robin Hoods Bay, North Yorkshire 2,328 photos, 286 members
- Yorkshire 231,076 photos, 5,193 members
- North Yorkshire Coast 16,107 photos, 877 members
- North Yorkshire Moors Railway 17,960 photos, 998 members
- North York Moors 12,960 photos, 715 members
- Friends of York Walls 910 photos, 68 members
- York 39,315 photos, 2,549 members
- Views from the Coast to Coast Walk 1,205 photos, 49 members
- NorthWest England 150,446 photos, 2,168 members
- The British Countryside 515,860 photos, 9,502 members
- UK Landscapes, Sea and Country. 376,413 photos, 9,095 members
- UK Nature 248,769 photos, 3,530 members
- The Lake District UK 96,379 photos, 7,518 members
- Wainwrights Coast to Coast Walk 1,299 photos, 75 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 123,054 photos, 4,784 members
- East Island/Eysturoy/Østerø on Faroe Island 821 photos, 42 members
- MefiSwap Cover Pool 101 photos, 58 members
- WALKING LANDSCAPES 150,003 photos, 4,102 members
- COAST. 136,889 photos, 2,762 members
- Whaling ⇂ 2,191 photos, 277 members
- Methow Valley Experience 1,652 photos, 117 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 33,353 photos, 18,640 members
- The World Architecture Map (WAM) 27,744 photos, 982 members
- Vancouver City Lights 1,784 photos, 230 members
- Lower Seymour Conservation Reserve 146 photos, 21 members
- What Am I Drinking? 17 photos, 12 members
- The 2012 Illuminate Yaletown Photo Contest 661 photos, 143 members
- Wetlands of British Columbia 1,167 photos, 103 members
- Search The Best (Post INVITED Photos Only) 1,661 photos, 555 members
- For Garnite! 657 photos, 135 members
- Spectacular Landscapes-invited images only :-) 13,609 photos, 8,417 members
- Norway Quality Pool 1,610 photos, 198 members
- Norge Norway Norwegen 20,470 photos, 587 members
- Verdens Ende, Norway 77 photos, 16 members
- Norway from north to south 8,742 photos, 436 members
- Fjord Norway 12,763 photos, 1,146 members
- Geotagged : Norway 8,578 photos, 302 members
- Modern Norway 4,365 photos, 355 members
- Northern Norway (Nord Norge) 13,472 photos, 564 members
- Trondheim, Norway - Photos from Trondheim 5,042 photos, 489 members
- Norway 259,603 photos, 12,507 members
- Norge (Norway) 68,056 photos, 2,870 members
- The Fabulous Northwest, The Far North, and Greenland Photography 1,085 photos, 19 members
- Icebergs 5,391 photos, 504 members
- north of 70 925 photos, 56 members
"I believe Vida's beautiful pictures come from within her. Her keen appreciation for her surroundings reflect the person she really is, kind, intuitive, and beautiful.
I feel lucky to call you my friend, Vida. Thanks for driving the 8+ hours to visit the Olympic Peninsula and me. :)"
August 3rd, 2009
Trevor Anderson says:
"I appreciate Vida's contribution to the network. Her enthusiasm and eye for photography along with her knowledge of Canada makes her a definite asset to the Northwest hiking/photography community."
June 25th, 2009
"Vida is one of the best photographers I've ever encountered and I always look forward to seeing her latest posts on flickr.
Vida also has an incredible talent of combining her beautiful images with an in-depth knowledge of her chosen subjects. Resistance is futile - you just have to go visit these places for yourself."
November 21st, 2007
"Vida has a wonderful collection of photos!! I can only dream to have captured the beauty that she has captured here!! What a large collection...each and every one of them is charged with so much creativity and inspiration. I can spend hours looking at her collection!! Thank you for sharing it with us!!"
April 3rd, 2007
"Seawallrunner sees all - what a treat it is to be part of her adventures!"
August 30th, 2006
ambitious magic says:
"I don't think I've ever commented on her photos, because usually there are already tons of comments that say what I would have said. I'm enraptured by her ability to turn nature into something otherworldly and surreal. She has an amazing eye for bringing out the beauty in this part of the world. Anyone who loves nature photos should add her as a contact."
August 24th, 2006
Broken Haiku says:
"Thank you, for always having something new to show me, be it a perspective, concept or bring out a positive feeling in your images, that I often self lack the oomph for."
August 22nd, 2006
"She is a professional photographer that captures nature at its best."
March 9th, 2006
Wilson Low says:
"I like all her presentations from her photos, she has captured nature and sceneries at their best and i enjoyed her creativity too ;-D Its really nice to have make friends like Seawallrunner in Flickr.com.
ps: a very nice portrait you have! ;-)"
December 22nd, 2005
la legione di resistenza says:
"A talented person which one day, I hope to meet and learn about her world. Her pictures are beyond amazing and without words. She captures the perfect surreal beauty in nature, which is a reflection of her soul."
December 18th, 2005
"seawallrunner lives in a paradise that I have only been able to visit a few times. She is so good at capturing the beauty of her surroundings in British Colubia! I love to view her photos."
October 21st, 2005
steady observation says:
"I am relatively new to flickr and wherever I look I see either her work or her energy being expended as an administrator of some group. She is totally encouraging, wonderfully gifted and pleasant. The Flickr community could use many more like her.
October 10th, 2005
Jeff Clow says:
"Vida (aka Seawallrunner or CWall) is one of those rare talents here at Flickr that should be commended on two different levels:
First, her photo work is superb here....and her ability to capture scenes and moments that might have escaped others looking at the exact same scene is wonderful.
Secondly, this lady is one class act when it comes to viewing and commenting on countless other's work here....she obviously cares about other people and that comes through loud and clear with her kind comments.
Flickr is a better place because of this woman....and here presence here is very much appreciated by many of us....."
July 23rd, 2005
"I have always admired Seawallrunner's eye for the inherent beauty in her not-so-everyday surroundings. It is this in-sight that makes her photos so special and adds a light that only her camera can see. Thankfully, she shares that with us."
July 3rd, 2005
"I love to see the beauty she sees through her camera lens. Her nature shots are exquisite and her perspecitve keen. Beautiful!"
June 29th, 2005
"Seawallrunner reminds us by her example to experience the great outdoors. In particular, she explores beautiful BC and brings back marvellous captures.
While I have my hands in my garden soil (in her city) on the weekend, I wonder what trail she's hiking at that moment. Her boundless energy allows me to share remote vantage points I will never reach."
June 2nd, 2005
remarkable oven says:
June 1st, 2005
dynamic eye says:
"Obviously one of FLICKR's brightest lights!"
June 1st, 2005
Nomad Kris says:
"A creative wizard who is lots of fun to talk to and hike with."
April 28th, 2005
"I love your photography. You always manage to see the photograph within the picture. You seem to be a page ahead of the rest of us."
March 9th, 2005
futuristic shoe says:
"Your pictures are outrageously fantastic; the world you capture through your lens is breathtaking. Your exploits seem to have taken you to the farthest corners of the globe, and luckily for us you’ve toted your trusty PowerShot around with you. Your pictures convey the magic and the beauty of the places you’ve visited and make even the most traveled traveler crave an expedition. Awesome."
January 31st, 2005
"I look forward daily to your fantastic photos and enticing positive attitude. Thanks for sharing joy and enthusiasm!"
January 23rd, 2005
"The best condensed Profile I have ever seen of Flickr. Oh yeah, the photography is great as well!"
January 2nd, 2005
- Vida J Morkunas
- December 2004
- Vancouver, British Columbia