Most of my pictures are taken for their technical interest or and make no claim to be of artistic value. The oldest in the collection dates back to 1888 and were studio portraits probably taken on plates.
I have used a wide variety of cameras, starting with a Box Brownie 120, and including a Selfix 820, Super Ikonta 531 6x9, Linhof Technika 6x7, assorted M Leicas, Nikon F2/F3, Olympus Trip and XA and Canonet.
In the digital age, I have used a Canon IXUS, which did not survive the Brighton sea air, a Ricoh waterproof, a Leica M9, a Fuji X100 and the cameras in mobile phones. As the old story goes, the best camera is the one one is carrying at the time.
I use minimal processing - adjust brightness, saturation, contrast, gamma, straighten and perhaps correct converging verticals.
create your personalized map of europe
or check out our Barcelona travel guide
- Clerestory Coaches (Railways) 5,207 photos, 252 members
- Balcombe Viaduct (Ouse Valley Viaduct) 45 photos, 11 members
- BUS MANIA 18,938 photos, 76 members
- Orthodox Church Architecture 199,874 photos, 4,881 members
- The British Raj 546 photos, 47 members
- Inshore Fishing Boat 174 photos, 5 members
- ALL CHURCH EXTERIORS 53,966 photos, 1,209 members
- avebury 2,852 photos, 291 members
- MONUMENT 64,368 photos, 2,326 members
- MOUNTAIN 170,050 photos, 12,718 members
- UK Railway Stations 60,559 photos, 648 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 138,050 photos, 4,494 members
- London Underground D78 stock 1,489 photos, 93 members
- Project Weather 629,034 photos, 93,342 members
- Leica M Users 421,466 photos, 8,737 members
- ! **(manhole covers, etc...) Local Marks 568 photos, 1,042 members
- Bridges, in Black and White 9,105 photos, 1,683 members
- Wolvercote Common (and uncommon) 424 photos, 19 members
- Old St Pancras 656 photos, 60 members
- Svenska Snabbtåg 122 photos, 26 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,778 photos, 1,920 members
- Isle of Wight railways 9,350 photos, 447 members
- Railway Works Plates 440 photos, 40 members
- Railways Of Devon 12,811 photos, 304 members
- Middle Street Synagogue 189 photos, 18 members
- Eesti Raudtee / Estonian Railways 325 photos, 38 members
- →Group wi†h Ҽxperience⏎ 3,802,584 photos, 544,700 members
- Natural Bonsai 89 photos, 35 members
- Worldwide Ship Spotters (WSS) 158,521 photos, 2,632 members
- Maritime Abstract Gallery 174 photos, 123 members
- ~ Wild Swimming ~ 2,292 photos, 697 members
- Show your Leica M (Please, Only Leica M Gear Photos) 2,452 photos, 970 members
- PLANET EARTH TRANSPORTATION 212,757 photos, 1,881 members
- Abstract Maritime 1,254 photos, 147 members
- Abandoned Baltic 2,150 photos, 266 members
- Ship deck from above 4,411 photos, 360 members
- Hydraulic loco's of the Western Region 6,487 photos, 432 members
- Winter bathing 35 photos, 27 members
- Seventies London 2,227 photos, 352 members
- Moviscrolliosis/ Images that appear to change as you scroll them 1,015 photos, 195 members
- Swimming Pools 1,556 photos, 280 members
- ! **Quiet (not people) 60,104 photos, 4,187 members
- Europe on Flickr 328,844 photos, 5,755 members
- LONDON RIP (Razing Inner-London Past) 649 photos, 173 members
- 80s London 1,439 photos, 182 members
- Skåneleden 595 photos, 70 members
- Your Best Black & White Railway Photos. 4,103 photos, 168 members
- Tower Blocks and Architecture of the 1960s and 1970s (UK only) 17,760 photos, 915 members
- UK Class 357/375/376/377/378/379 - The Electrostars 13,584 photos, 310 members
- The World of GM / EMD Locomotives 40,763 photos, 593 members
"If you ever need an excellent photograph, a bowl of porridge, a shoulder to cry on, or a first class cuddle, Henry's your man. Just don't get him on the subject of trains..."
April 2nd, 2008
Elsie esq. says:
"I have just spent far longer than I first intended looking at your pictures in your transport set. What a wonderful trip it was for me too! I shall definitely be buying a season ticket. Your pictures and comment present an age where we lost interest in our railways and almost lost the railways themselves. Your pictures bring forth those grim years with gritty immediacy and impact. I remember riding the railways then desparately looking for signs of hope , a new beginning or just anything that wasnt worse than what preceeded it! You have a great insight into social affairs and your pictures definitely show that. Fortunately your newer pictures portray the new private railway with its new money , new ideas , new trains and hopefully a new beginning for one of this countrys greatest assets!
I am sure you and your cameras will be there to record it all for us. And I shall certainly enjoy the continuing journey."
November 9th, 2005
"seadipper is one to watched! he has been taking photos for around 50 years and still has not stopped. i have only been at it for 10 years so i can see myself being like him in 40 years. i have seen some of his archives & there is some amazing stuff with history so add him as a contact now and wait patiently."
May 22nd, 2005
- May 2005
- An Outsider's View