Most of my pictures are taken for their technical interest or and make no claim to be of artistic value. The oldest in the collection dates back to 1888 and were studio portraits probably taken on plates.
I have used a wide variety of cameras, starting with a Box Brownie 120, and including a Selfix 820, Super Ikonta 531 6x9, Linhof Technika 6x7, assorted M Leicas, Nikon F2/F3, Olympus Trip and XA and Canonet.
In the digital age, I have used a Canon IXUS, which did not survive the Brighton sea air, a Ricoh waterproof, a Leica M9, a Fuji X100 and the cameras in mobile phones. As the old story goes, the best camera is the one one is carrying at the time.
I use minimal processing - adjust brightness, saturation, contrast, gamma, straighten and perhaps correct converging verticals.
create your personalized map of europe
or check out our Barcelona travel guide
- Clerestory Coaches (Railways) 5,246 photos, 254 members
- Balcombe Viaduct (Ouse Valley Viaduct) 47 photos, 11 members
- BUS MANIA 20,854 photos, 76 members
- Orthodox Church Architecture 203,029 photos, 4,919 members
- The British Raj 546 photos, 48 members
- Inshore Fishing Boat 174 photos, 5 members
- ALL CHURCH EXTERIORS 54,947 photos, 1,210 members
- avebury 2,852 photos, 290 members
- MONUMENT 64,806 photos, 2,325 members
- MOUNTAIN 172,441 photos, 12,769 members
- UK Railway Stations 60,924 photos, 650 members
- ANCIENT RELICS 139,615 photos, 4,497 members
- London Underground D78 stock 1,489 photos, 93 members
- Project Weather 628,765 photos, 93,341 members
- Leica M Users 421,240 photos, 8,753 members
- ! **(manhole covers, etc...) Local Marks 568 photos, 1,043 members
- Bridges, in Black and White 9,148 photos, 1,685 members
- Wolvercote Common (and uncommon) 424 photos, 19 members
- Old St Pancras 656 photos, 60 members
- Svenska Snabbtåg 122 photos, 26 members
- The Twentieth Century and Contemporary House 17,819 photos, 1,918 members
- Isle of Wight railways 9,369 photos, 447 members
- Railway Works Plates 440 photos, 40 members
- Railways Of Devon 13,059 photos, 305 members
- Middle Street Synagogue 189 photos, 18 members
- Eesti Raudtee / Estonian Railways 326 photos, 38 members
- →Group wi†h Ҽxperience⏎ 3,817,821 photos, 547,922 members
- Natural Bonsai 89 photos, 35 members
- Worldwide Ship Spotters (WSS) 160,030 photos, 2,641 members
- Maritime Abstract Gallery 174 photos, 123 members
- ~ Wild Swimming ~ 2,326 photos, 699 members
- Show your Leica M (Please, Only Leica M Gear Photos) 2,472 photos, 977 members
- PLANET EARTH TRANSPORTATION 214,557 photos, 1,889 members
- Abstract Maritime 1,251 photos, 147 members
- Abandoned Baltic 2,154 photos, 265 members
- Ship deck from above 4,430 photos, 361 members
- Hydraulic loco's of the Western Region 6,529 photos, 431 members
- Winter bathing 35 photos, 27 members
- Seventies London 2,242 photos, 352 members
- Moviscrolliosis/ Images that appear to change as you scroll them 1,015 photos, 195 members
- Swimming Pools 1,566 photos, 281 members
- ! **Quiet (not people) 60,081 photos, 4,192 members
- Europe on Flickr 331,741 photos, 5,789 members
- LONDON RIP (Razing Inner-London Past) 657 photos, 173 members
- 80s London 1,439 photos, 182 members
- Skåneleden 595 photos, 70 members
- Your Best Black & White Railway Photos. 4,118 photos, 167 members
- Tower Blocks and Architecture of the 1960s and 1970s (UK only) 17,909 photos, 915 members
- UK Class 357/375/376/377/378/379 - The Electrostars 13,657 photos, 311 members
- The World of GM / EMD Locomotives 41,155 photos, 599 members
"If you ever need an excellent photograph, a bowl of porridge, a shoulder to cry on, or a first class cuddle, Henry's your man. Just don't get him on the subject of trains..."
April 2nd, 2008
Elsie esq. says:
"I have just spent far longer than I first intended looking at your pictures in your transport set. What a wonderful trip it was for me too! I shall definitely be buying a season ticket. Your pictures and comment present an age where we lost interest in our railways and almost lost the railways themselves. Your pictures bring forth those grim years with gritty immediacy and impact. I remember riding the railways then desparately looking for signs of hope , a new beginning or just anything that wasnt worse than what preceeded it! You have a great insight into social affairs and your pictures definitely show that. Fortunately your newer pictures portray the new private railway with its new money , new ideas , new trains and hopefully a new beginning for one of this countrys greatest assets!
I am sure you and your cameras will be there to record it all for us. And I shall certainly enjoy the continuing journey."
November 9th, 2005
"seadipper is one to watched! he has been taking photos for around 50 years and still has not stopped. i have only been at it for 10 years so i can see myself being like him in 40 years. i have seen some of his archives & there is some amazing stuff with history so add him as a contact now and wait patiently."
May 22nd, 2005
- May 2005
- An Outsider's View