An artist working at the crossroads of photography, performance, and the written word.
"I like to take pictures of myself. While I can couch this fact in all sorts of justifying terms -- psychological, metaphorical, mythological, political -- I suspect that anything I say about my work is really just a mask placed in front of this basic impulse. But masks are useful human implements and often reveal truth even as they seek to conceal.
"I usually work alone. That means I function as model, photographer, and viewer, all at once. The split-second transitions between these roles induce a kind of altered state of consciousness that is documented in the images and influences their content. Sometimes it feels like spirit possession, where I’m channeling something from beyond the scope of my conscious intention.
"Exactly why I like to take pictures of myself is a mystery to me, and I have mixed feelings about that. Part of me wants to maintain the mystery, believing that I get better results when I don’t think too hard about what I’m doing. Another part wants to make meaning of the pictures I’m generating, which is probably why I use text to help define the images or establish a premise for making them."
I was born in 1957, which makes me over 21. It also makes me over 50.
Please note: I am always flattered when someone makes me a contact. But if you don't have images of your own, or if your stream primarily consists of images you've downloaded from the net, I probably won't reciprocate.
Photos of Saint Plan (5)
- Aq Club 0 photos, 1 member
- Puppets 8,559 photos, 1,522 members
- Puppet Shows 1,134 photos, 237 members
- FACE Painting. 8,038 photos, 1,337 members
- Punk Macros 4,675 photos, 491 members
- People looking right at you 7,585 photos, 573 members
- Still / Life Contest (now closed) 469 photos, 211 members
- silhouette - paper cut 2,248 photos, 375 members
- Playing Cards 1,318 photos, 788 members
- Drawing from imagination 18,496 photos, 740 members
- Holga 252,658 photos, 19,289 members
- Bagheads 92 photos, 40 members
- Men in Traditional Clothes 2,632 photos, 353 members
- Coney Island 37,765 photos, 2,363 members
- Behind A Mask... 266 photos, 245 members
- Mask Portraits and Self-Portraits 1,302 photos, 1,146 members
- Sea Foam Motel 38 photos, 5 members
- Love Is Love : Lesbian and Gay Weddings 1,332 photos, 602 members
- neogeography 287 photos, 136 members
- Artist Trading Cards 50,475 photos, 3,587 members
- Sympathy for the Devil 2,810 photos, 518 members
- Paper bag masks 25 photos, 23 members
- Installation Art 7,680 photos, 668 members
- Cigarette Cards 19,828 photos, 322 members
- Pyramid Revelations 477 photos, 1,051 members
- VINTAGE MOTEL SIGNS ONLY! 29,611 photos, 3,971 members
- Shadowplay 1: BORDERLANDS 139 photos, 71 members
- Staged Portraiture, Please for god's sake read the rules! 11,938 photos, 1,072 members
- Inauguration 2009 12,123 photos, 2,736 members
- panoramas 475,076 photos, 59,835 members
- Fez 462 photos, 180 members
- Route 66 51,735 photos, 3,214 members
- Gay Rights Are Civil Rights 9,269 photos, 983 members
- Black and White Contact sheets 335 photos, 133 members
- My Black and White Gay Face 163 photos, 83 members
- Philip Glass 164 photos, 52 members
- My lover man 745 photos, 220 members
- Unisex 2,633 photos, 794 members
- fine art dog portraits 1,738 photos, 424 members
- Time to share, Shades to wear 9,224 photos, 1,812 members
- Running on the" Freak Power" ticket 18,561 photos, 587 members
- Sumo 1,819 photos, 450 members
- organized collection 8,625 photos, 1,884 members
- Male torso 796 photos, 1,280 members
- UN-SELF PORTRAIT GROUP 4,779 photos, 828 members
- Male Bodypainting 404 photos, 378 members
- Self-Portrait Mania (must include face) 3,428 photos, 364 members
- DIABLOS 612 photos, 179 members
- Mohawk-o-Rama 147 photos, 68 members
- Cool Mohawks! 137 photos, 86 members
"Since giving up the sport of female wrestling, I worried that there would be little else for John to focus his skills upon. I needn't have worried.
My predictable witticisms aside, John is one of a few photographers (in the truest sense of the word, not someone who 'points and clicks and hopes for the best') who really appeals to me on many levels. Is it the photographs of human fragility and vulnerability? Or is it the photos that show the more lusty, greedy (in my case, a general 'good time") side to human nature.
Root through his stream. I assure you, you will find treasures that will delight, make you wonder, maybe even frighten you (because you might even see a little of you in his characterisations).
John, can I have that $100 now?"
May 1st, 2008
tray | of | ash says:
"He's my Flickr hero! The man takes creativity to levels that not many have the guts to. If you don't appreciate what he does then you don't appreciate art.....or there's a sign inside your mind that reads, "No Diving!"."
October 23rd, 2006
"... anomalous, curious, eccentric, primo, an errant breeze..."
September 11th, 2006
"As you enter Saint Plan's world, I ask you to reconsider your sense of visual grammar.
Allow yourself to feel dizzied by his refelctions on gender, society, culture, beauty, pain, and most of all, love and self-love.
His fantasmagorical images of saints, sinners, ghosts, demons, opera stars, and more, shall surely cause you to you contemplate your unborn children, the mother who loved or didn't love you, your realized or unrealized demonish tendencies, whether there is an innate gender in each of us, or whether our genders are merely learned behaviors.
Dare to slip your hand into one of his mutated and fashionable glove costumes-- and see what transformations overtake you. A-ha!"
February 21st, 2006
- John Borstel
- February 2006
- Silver Spring, United States
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Artist, Arts Administrator
- John Borstel Portfolio