"...it is difficult to get the news from poems yet men die miserably every day for lack of what is found there...."
William Carlos Williams
"…understanding what you are doing only increases the obligations"
Flickr and the work I upload to it is a constant creative and conceptual exercise. I like to treat my feed as a virtual open ended gallery space. I tap into the web's strength of hyperlinking and constant editing; along with copious metadata to share and explore mine and others photography.
This realisation took quite a number of years, but, from that point forward all my work has been carefully curated, no image is uploaded without considering it's visual relationship with the preceding image. In 2014 I even culled down my images by about 50%.
Having said that.
I don't photograph things, I photograph the connections between things. Or to quote, Wright Morris; I am
"making images as fictions though which experience is explored"
Is a more complete bio more to your liking?
I also make photobooks and sell some of them via the blurb publishing platform.
Some of my faves
Why and What I do.
It's simple, if you like, and want; just ask.
Free photography books
I self publish my own photobooks, contact me directly I'll send the link to download, all I ask in return is a postcard from where ever you are in the world, details are on the download page.
now on ello.co
fresh, lo-fi, and, daily now in working in fits and starts.
a quarterly photo publication,
go on; you know you want to!
get your photojojo
elsewhere on the web?
stuarts.photos and about me
my Facebook 'business' page
The Ericsson Files available for sale on Blurb.
"Art & Mathematics" buy this from Blurb
- Photos Without A Rabbit 75,437 photos, 2,482 members
- urban poetry 256,329 photos, 7,226 members
- War of the Burbs 112 photos, 8 members
- Bridges of Melbourne and Victoria 183 photos, 19 members
- Melbourne at Night 20,921 photos, 2,677 members
- Melbourne, it's my city 20,554 photos, 633 members
- ALL THINGS ANALOG 39,974 photos, 820 members
- PAPUA 13,840 photos, 784 members
- Yellow Peril 4 photos, 5 members
- ProCamera 446 photos, 33 members
- ProCamera-App 3,340 photos, 265 members
- Flickr Australia 552,782 photos, 8,282 members
- Canon 5D Family 63,860 photos, 1,231 members
- Canon 5D MkII 212,807 photos, 5,024 members
- Canon EOS 5D Series 576,470 photos, 21,074 members
- Flickritis: Where 81,000 people are still happily infected! 7,053,088 photos, 81,889 members
- Architecture and Morality 1,449 photos, 36 members
- GIS / Maps 2,252 photos, 296 members
- streunerin(ism) **PHOTOS MUST CONTAIN AN X** 274 photos, 49 members
- *FLICKR's PRO PHOTOGRAPHERS* 258,283 photos, 3,426 members
- Pro Account Members 11,811 photos, 403 members
- Group for all users of FLICKR - No 30/60 Groups Limit 1,377,353 photos, 14,023 members
- Lo-Lifers 1,695 photos, 124 members
- Melbourne and Beyond 44,683 photos, 1,033 members
- 3D Printed Cameras 3,641 photos, 108 members
- What's your angle, buddy? 918,214 photos, 43,417 members
- Addicted to Japan~ 13,184 photos, 264 members
- in passing 7,513 photos, 627 members
- Through the Viewfinder 59,297 photos, 6,953 members
- Mobiography - The Mobile Photography and iPhoneography Group 101,060 photos, 2,166 members
- Presetting Lightroom 116,201 photos, 14,151 members
- LIGHTROOM ∞ 190,559 photos, 3,672 members
- Lightroom Showcase 93,155 photos, 3,420 members
- street africa 9,837 photos, 482 members
- flickr Tokyo 252,752 photos, 4,705 members
- Vistaquest 979 photos, 175 members
- Medium Format Digital 24,604 photos, 1,540 members
- Phase One Asia Group 95 photos, 17 members
- Phase One User Group 8,845 photos, 1,028 members
- How To Sell Photos!! 160 photos, 85 members
- New Topographers 98,950 photos, 1,635 members
- South America - public group 147,868 photos, 4,324 members
- Melbourne cliches 3,820 photos, 256 members
- Melbourne Sculptures 636 photos, 190 members
- ultra modern architecture 152 photos, 19 members
- Melbourne Docklands 3,627 photos, 494 members
- Banksy: This is not a photo opportunity 111 photos, 209 members
- Banksy 23,461 photos, 21,167 members
- Instamatic 4,611 photos, 776 members
- Hip To Be Square. 54,855 photos, 1,127 members
- Jakey, Jakes World [aka Carla Sadler] 4 photos
- Refractions Editorial Issue 4 14 photos
- Editorial Choices for Refractions magazine 11 photos
- difficult to read 15 photos
- Signs & Signifiers 10 photos
- The Early Years 18 photos
- figurative 15 photos
- Politics 3/3 11 photos
- Prose 2/3 15 photos
- Poetry 1/3 13 photos
- Trolleys in distress 16 photos
- Hard Core PhoneCam II 8 photos
- Hard Core Phonecam 14 photos
cookie poppets says:
"s2 swoons more prettily than any man I know. And when he does, I curse the miles that separate us and prevent me from catching him in my dirty lady pillows."
April 5th, 2009
"s2 is one of those rare and invaluable educators - a man who won't give you the easy answers, but nudges you to seek them out for yourself. if they differ to his, well, you probably just asked a different question, and isn't that the best education you can receive? oh, s2 also likes to call himself an arteest, but i reckon that's just code for "i like breasts". cheers to that!"
November 4th, 2008
that's MR. POPLABS says:
"s2 is one of the most animated documentors of the inanimate I know.
I have seen, through s2's optical devices, grocery carts get shagged, empty recliners beg for a bum(butt, buttocks, nates, arse, backside, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass) and concrete that is clearly pissed off because some utility dude with a can of spraypaint on the end of a stick has painted markings indicating what lies underneath...all the time knowing that some fuck with a jackhammer is going to have at it because of those pretty colored (coloured) markings.
...his text-based sound effects are pretty good too...
CHEERS to s2art!"
September 2nd, 2008
"S2 is the Benjamin Franklin of lowres photography: An inventive statesman who may not of invented it, but proved where it's electricty lie... plus I bet he's secretly as much a perv as old Ben Frank was."
August 16th, 2008
"Perfessor, bon vivant, and the kindest critic on the planet. His extensive photo portfolio is evidence of something, and is best viewed as a slideshow. s2 is up top of the list of online friends I hope to hoist a pint or a dozen with someday when our real life paths cross. In the meantime, I hope he keeps posting and posting and commenting and commenting till the wallabies come home!"
July 28th, 2008
Mr SUBSONIX™ says:
"Jeez have you read all these shining testimonials! You'd think the guy is a master of some sort, but let me tell you... He's always *drunk when he takes photos!
*This testimonial may be false, unfounded, and or untrue."
July 24th, 2008
"In the early days s2 lived in 3 places : out in the Australian landscape, the darkroom and the rest of the time downing refreshments as nourishment at the local pub.
Even though many things have changed since then, fortunately for his students, colleagues and friends his love and passion for photography has remained steadfast and infectious. As for his character he has an insatiable hunger for knowledge, shows a healthy disrespect for authority, has an irreverent attitude towards politics and religion and does things to soft fluffy toys that would make any gourd fearing person shudder. His contribution to teaching and the flickr community needs no long winded praise suffice to say his comments are always informative, enlightening and he takes being funny very seriously."
August 29th, 2007
"The roos cower in terror as s2art approach, and so should you. But if you treat him to a six pack you'll find he's the pride of Oz - brilliant photographer, loving husband (as long as there's no shortage in beer), esteemed teacher and respected doer in the flickrverse."
July 27th, 2007
"S2 has an unhealthy obsession with Shopping Trolleys (carts). but get beyond that he is a damn fine photographer."
July 14th, 2007
"im his 732nd contact, we are THAT close.
you should be so lucky.
I think the smiths said it best, "cameraphones. learn to love them, assemble the ways. now today, tomorrow, and always. ""
May 18th, 2007
kiss kiss bang bang says:
"I can't believe nobody wrote a testimonial yet!!!
I love your work, but I thought you were like a bad actor playing a role, like this is how a rock singer is supposed to be. If this was an audition for a rock singer, I don’t think you'd get the role."
May 14th, 2007
"I'm crap at this testimonials lark, so it really means something that I'm bothering to write one for S2.
His serious photography really is Art, his less-serious shots are funny and thought-provoking, and his comments on others' pictures are always worth reading.
And he's online during the night when the insomniacs amongst us need him!"
April 19th, 2007
Drunken Monkey says:
"Good comms, instant payment and no problems, a pleasure. thank you. A++"
March 20th, 2007
"I first "met" s2 while perusing Vegemite photos. Don't ask. Then I joined him in the lovely "Spread the Love" fiasco.. yes, fiasco, as it turned into a wild mess of spreads. Cheese, Peanut Butter, and Nocci to say the least, But it DID introduce me to this Absolutely Fantabulous photographer. I adore s2, he enlightens my horizons. Oh, and expands my world. Rock on brother BBQ!! I'm gonna go have a beer, in his name."
March 17th, 2007
pa gillet says:
"s2art is a pervert and dangerous guy. You are soon addicted to his wonderful and numerous images. I'd love to make a cross exhibit with this guy."
January 2nd, 2007
"the cat likes Tom Waits and takes some sweet pics...the pleasure is mine"
November 28th, 2006
"s2art can't be bothered with ethics, paint thinner, American baseball or political science wonks down the hall where he works.
He *can* be counted on to tell you the truth, and for that he's worth every nickel I've sent his dying grandmother Ora Mae.
He also has a direct line to Jesus."
November 4th, 2006
Barry Bear says:
""s2art is not stuffed, and as a consequence, should be treated accordingly""
November 2nd, 2006
Annene von Durchgerockt says:
"Sometimes the urge to testimonialize hits a bit early, before a complete exploration of the photographer's work has even properly begun. But doesn't that speak volumes in and of itself?
s2art is the kind of Flickrati who benefits the community with his ideas, images and insights, and if he leaves you a comment, no matter how casual, it's always worth rolling around in your head.
A man of visions, indeed."
July 8th, 2006
Kent Johnson says:
"Stuart is a mate of photography. He is a tireless investigator of what the camera sees; so much so that now his camera sees with his eyes. At a time when the hoary old argument as to wether photography is truly an art form or not has again raised its ugly head. Stuart’s photographs show us how far photography has come and where it is headed.
Stuart does indeed ‘draw with light’. He brings the true art form of photography into the Twenty First Century. He does this by replacing the cameras lens with his eye and his film with the images he desires."
June 28th, 2006
lonely radio says:
"...he's like the photographic father I never had!"
March 27th, 2006
"Since I am not allowed to bother with something rude or nasty, I guess I am left with only one option.
I haven't known Stuart for very long, at the time of writing this, although have had the pleasure of sharing at least one shoot and quite a few pictorial experiences with him. I have come to appreciate and somewhat share in his excitement for his 'latest catch' as I have come to appreciate his 'eye' for a subject, a composition, an arrangement. There have been numerable instances now, where I have taken a photo and JUST KNOW it's really an 'S2art' eye that has taken the capture. And I love those captures for a place all of their own.
I think he also has a very high ethic and that deserves respect.
And of course, trollies... !"
October 31st, 2005
"Hey! Thanks for the add! You should join my group: www.flickr.com/gr...
July 7th, 2005
- November 2004
- Melbourne, Australia
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- artist. picture maker. educator.
- s2z photo art & ephemera