"understanding what you are doing only increases the obligations"
"It is difficult to get the news from poems yet men die miserably every day for lack of what is found there."
William Carlos Williams
Flickr and the work I upload too it is a constant mental exercise. I like to treat my feed as a virtual opened gallery space, tapping into the web's strength of hyperlinking and constant editing. Sadly this realisation took quite a number of years, but from, this point forward, all my work has been carefully curated, no image is uploaded without considering it's visual relationship with the preceding image.
Having said that.
I don't photograph things, I photograph the connections between things. Or to quote, Wright Morris; I am
"making images as fictions though which experience is explored"
Is a more complete bio more to your liking?
now a separate flickr/instagram account
Some of my faves
Why and What I do.
The Ericsson Files available for sale on Blurb.
"Art & Mathematics" buy this from Blurb
It's simple, if you like, and want; just ask.
Free photography books
I self publish my own e-books, contact me directly I'll send the link to download, all I ask in return is a postcard from where ever you are in the world, details are on the download page.
s2 on tumblr
now on ello.co
fresh, lo-fi, and, daily now in working in fits and starts.
a quarterly photo publication,
go on; you know you want to!
get your photojojo
I co-edit, refractions magazine, refractionphotos.net now in hiatus.
elsewhere on the web?
, and about me
- Your Best Shot 2016 8,410 photos, 12,575 members
- No Postcards 2,668 photos, 110 members
- Apple iPhone 7 86 photos, 21 members
- iPhone Series Camera - iPhone 7/7Plus 4,281 photos, 773 members
- iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus 1,031 photos, 241 members
- iPhone 7 Photography 389 photos, 255 members
- Urban Backpackers 357 photos, 19 members
- Tokyo photos for publication! 1,782 photos, 139 members
- Tokyo Magic 東京マジック 4,206 photos, 177 members
- Tokyo Images 248,560 photos, 7,310 members
- Tokyo Architecture 11,085 photos, 937 members
- 13 542 photos, 282 members
- Stars Without Makeup 241 photos, 91 members
- Berlin Alive! 4,777 photos, 758 members
- San Francisco - a sense of time, a sense of place 9,425 photos, 1,149 members
- Alcatraz 8,311 photos, 1,356 members
- The Great Aussie Petrol Station 710 photos, 98 members
- MobileShooters.com© 25,707 photos, 522 members
- Kippax 1,505 photos, 184 members
- Things covered in THAT blue tarpaulin 20 photos, 21 members
- Flickr Heroes 43,218 photos, 6,644 members
- FlickrSocial (two or more people in the photo) 55,119 photos, 3,452 members
- /r/analog 21,148 photos, 1,194 members
- Shooting Film 248,770 photos, 6,051 members
- Shots About Nothing 5,829 photos, 96 members
- The Future is Ghosts 8,098 photos, 405 members
- Empty Shops 2,691 photos, 692 members
- Japan Street Photography (Curated) 577 photos, 256 members
- Geotagged : Japan 5,954 photos, 99 members
- cool japan 5,139 photos, 323 members
- Japan Through the Eyes of Others 302,937 photos, 8,968 members
- Japan street shots 30,609 photos, 1,418 members
- Japan In Summer 3,001 photos, 207 members
- Jakes_World Memorial Group 4 photos, 12 members
- Xpan 24,171 photos, 6,957 members
- Brisbanites: Brisbane Photos 57,553 photos, 2,697 members
- Victoria and Albert Museum 9,093 photos, 1,495 members
- #LibraryFromSpace - One Photo Per Person 57 photos, 93 members
- iClick! 175,748 photos, 2,722 members
- Vietnam 127,183 photos, 13,001 members
- The democratic photograph 13,134 photos, 561 members
- Entrance to Hell 3,572 photos, 19,247 members
- Flickr Hacks 424 photos, 21,891 members
- Cloudporn 279,208 photos, 42,384 members
- The Real Street Photography 1,311,862 photos, 39,769 members
- Melbourne's East [Metro Only] 425 photos, 17 members
- Photography 3,067,491 photos, 53,958 members
- Architecture 1,752,806 photos, 100,428 members
- Something Blue (Only Blue) 437,586 photos, 53,659 members
- Specialistz™ 444,549 photos, 12,061 members
cookie poppets says:
"s2 swoons more prettily than any man I know. And when he does, I curse the miles that separate us and prevent me from catching him in my dirty lady pillows."
April 5th, 2009
"s2 is one of those rare and invaluable educators - a man who won't give you the easy answers, but nudges you to seek them out for yourself. if they differ to his, well, you probably just asked a different question, and isn't that the best education you can receive? oh, s2 also likes to call himself an arteest, but i reckon that's just code for "i like breasts". cheers to that!"
November 4th, 2008
that's MR. POPLABS says:
"s2 is one of the most animated documentors of the inanimate I know.
I have seen, through s2's optical devices, grocery carts get shagged, empty recliners beg for a bum(butt, buttocks, nates, arse, backside, buns, can, fundament, hindquarters, hind end, keister, posterior, prat, rear, rear end, rump, stern, seat, tail, tail end, tooshie, tush, bottom, behind, derriere, fanny, ass) and concrete that is clearly pissed off because some utility dude with a can of spraypaint on the end of a stick has painted markings indicating what lies underneath...all the time knowing that some fuck with a jackhammer is going to have at it because of those pretty colored (coloured) markings.
...his text-based sound effects are pretty good too...
CHEERS to s2art!"
September 2nd, 2008
"S2 is the Benjamin Franklin of lowres photography: An inventive statesman who may not of invented it, but proved where it's electricty lie... plus I bet he's secretly as much a perv as old Ben Frank was."
August 16th, 2008
"Perfessor, bon vivant, and the kindest critic on the planet. His extensive photo portfolio is evidence of something, and is best viewed as a slideshow. s2 is up top of the list of online friends I hope to hoist a pint or a dozen with someday when our real life paths cross. In the meantime, I hope he keeps posting and posting and commenting and commenting till the wallabies come home!"
July 28th, 2008
Mr SUBSONIX™ says:
"Jeez have you read all these shining testimonials! You'd think the guy is a master of some sort, but let me tell you... He's always *drunk when he takes photos!
*This testimonial may be false, unfounded, and or untrue."
July 24th, 2008
"In the early days s2 lived in 3 places : out in the Australian landscape, the darkroom and the rest of the time downing refreshments as nourishment at the local pub.
Even though many things have changed since then, fortunately for his students, colleagues and friends his love and passion for photography has remained steadfast and infectious. As for his character he has an insatiable hunger for knowledge, shows a healthy disrespect for authority, has an irreverent attitude towards politics and religion and does things to soft fluffy toys that would make any gourd fearing person shudder. His contribution to teaching and the flickr community needs no long winded praise suffice to say his comments are always informative, enlightening and he takes being funny very seriously."
August 29th, 2007
"The roos cower in terror as s2art approach, and so should you. But if you treat him to a six pack you'll find he's the pride of Oz - brilliant photographer, loving husband (as long as there's no shortage in beer), esteemed teacher and respected doer in the flickrverse."
July 27th, 2007
"S2 has an unhealthy obsession with Shopping Trolleys (carts). but get beyond that he is a damn fine photographer."
July 14th, 2007
"im his 732nd contact, we are THAT close.
you should be so lucky.
I think the smiths said it best, "cameraphones. learn to love them, assemble the ways. now today, tomorrow, and always. ""
May 18th, 2007
kiss kiss bang bang says:
"I can't believe nobody wrote a testimonial yet!!!
I love your work, but I thought you were like a bad actor playing a role, like this is how a rock singer is supposed to be. If this was an audition for a rock singer, I don’t think you'd get the role."
May 14th, 2007
"I'm crap at this testimonials lark, so it really means something that I'm bothering to write one for S2.
His serious photography really is Art, his less-serious shots are funny and thought-provoking, and his comments on others' pictures are always worth reading.
And he's online during the night when the insomniacs amongst us need him!"
April 19th, 2007
Drunken Monkey says:
"Good comms, instant payment and no problems, a pleasure. thank you. A++"
March 20th, 2007
"I first "met" s2 while perusing Vegemite photos. Don't ask. Then I joined him in the lovely "Spread the Love" fiasco.. yes, fiasco, as it turned into a wild mess of spreads. Cheese, Peanut Butter, and Nocci to say the least, But it DID introduce me to this Absolutely Fantabulous photographer. I adore s2, he enlightens my horizons. Oh, and expands my world. Rock on brother BBQ!! I'm gonna go have a beer, in his name."
March 17th, 2007
pa gillet says:
"s2art is a pervert and dangerous guy. You are soon addicted to his wonderful and numerous images. I'd love to make a cross exhibit with this guy."
January 2nd, 2007
"the cat likes Tom Waits and takes some sweet pics...the pleasure is mine"
November 28th, 2006
"s2art can't be bothered with ethics, paint thinner, American baseball or political science wonks down the hall where he works.
He *can* be counted on to tell you the truth, and for that he's worth every nickel I've sent his dying grandmother Ora Mae.
He also has a direct line to Jesus."
November 4th, 2006
Barry Bear says:
""s2art is not stuffed, and as a consequence, should be treated accordingly""
November 2nd, 2006
Annene von Durchgerockt says:
"Sometimes the urge to testimonialize hits a bit early, before a complete exploration of the photographer's work has even properly begun. But doesn't that speak volumes in and of itself?
s2art is the kind of Flickrati who benefits the community with his ideas, images and insights, and if he leaves you a comment, no matter how casual, it's always worth rolling around in your head.
A man of visions, indeed."
July 8th, 2006
Kent Johnson says:
"Stuart is a mate of photography. He is a tireless investigator of what the camera sees; so much so that now his camera sees with his eyes. At a time when the hoary old argument as to wether photography is truly an art form or not has again raised its ugly head. Stuart’s photographs show us how far photography has come and where it is headed.
Stuart does indeed ‘draw with light’. He brings the true art form of photography into the Twenty First Century. He does this by replacing the cameras lens with his eye and his film with the images he desires."
June 28th, 2006
lonely radio says:
"...he's like the photographic father I never had!"
March 27th, 2006
"Since I am not allowed to bother with something rude or nasty, I guess I am left with only one option.
I haven't known Stuart for very long, at the time of writing this, although have had the pleasure of sharing at least one shoot and quite a few pictorial experiences with him. I have come to appreciate and somewhat share in his excitement for his 'latest catch' as I have come to appreciate his 'eye' for a subject, a composition, an arrangement. There have been numerable instances now, where I have taken a photo and JUST KNOW it's really an 'S2art' eye that has taken the capture. And I love those captures for a place all of their own.
I think he also has a very high ethic and that deserves respect.
And of course, trollies... !"
October 31st, 2005
"Hey! Thanks for the add! You should join my group: www.flickr.com/gr...
July 7th, 2005
- November 2004
- Melbourne, Australia
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- artist. picture maker. educator.
- s2z photo art & ephemera