Howdy all! I'm Ryan, and you've stumbled upon my vast personal collection of retail photography (hence the name RetailByRyan95, formerly over-confident Ryanrules95).
Who am I? A Hampton Roads Virginia native and just a big ol’ dork who happens to be super into commercial architecture and such. Oh, and I like cartoons and funny movies and rap/r&b music but that doesn’t matter much on here. But yeah, retail alone is just another interest and side project. Wanna hear my boring story? Read on…
I’ve been a part of the photography game since June 2007, when my younger self used my mom’s brand newish digital camera to take some random store pictures while riding on the highway. It was for shits and giggles at first (they were godawful looking too) until I kept on doing it until it became habit.
After a few months of lurking Flickr, I joined on September 8th, 2007 because it was the day I first had Internet at home and I’d seen other users post retail photos. I mean, really, people take this weird stuff seriously? Who knew? I kept on posting and posting new pictures and became a part of the retail community on here. Gradually, the photos I presented became a lot better and I’m now in a comfortable place with them.
Needless to say, my photostream is probably the best source on the web if you’re interested in the history of businesses in Hampton Roads alone. I take all the photos myself (unless credited to another website) and do extensive research on buildings from various sources (newspapers, phone books, etc.) as well as my general knowledge of retail. However, all that info I put in the description isn’t 100% accurate since I’m human too (as far as you know).
What I have is a never-ending project since businesses come and go like crazy. Plus there’s a helluva lot of places I need to go to re-take some of the really lousy pics I currently have, so I have a full plate. It’s a lot of fun to go around and get the best shots I can, at some costs. Needless to say, some people don’t like what I do, and I have gotten in serious trouble before, but my passion keeps me going. So uh, just stay tuned to when I put some new pics up and enjoy what is before you now!
PLEASE NOTE: The photos on this photostream are NOT meant to advertise the pictured businesses. They are for the sole purpose of retail history and development documentation, and are not intended for commercial use. They are also NOT intended to demonstrate how a store runs or the quality of that store. The sole purpose of this photostream is to document the business life of the 2000s and 2010s, to observe how stores were set-up and decorated at the time, and for future usage on the subject matter. So if you own one of these places, don’t come yapping to me just because I took some photos. That’s your own problem.
CONTACT INFO: If you want me to visit a local location, or happen to like a photo of mine enough to actually use it in your own presentation(s), shoot me a message here on Flickr, or email me at email@example.com where I’ll be happy to oblige. Compensation is optional, of course. Just don’t steal ‘em. Good day.
- Stein Mart 29 photos, 11 members
- KCafe 169 photos, 84 members
- Giant Eagle 249 photos, 84 members
- Phar-Mor 111 photos, 96 members
- Toys "R" Us stores 1,078 photos, 21 members
- CVS/Pharmacy 436 photos, 37 members
- Winn-Dixie Marketplace 763 photos, 14 members
- A&P! R.I.P. 2015 1,003 photos, 42 members
- Remember the Radioshack! 429 photos, 63 members
- Shoppers Food & Pharmacy 480 photos, 12 members
- The Bon-Ton Stores Inc. 1,318 photos, 48 members
- Revco Drug Stores 20 photos, 9 members
- Rax Roast Beef 106 photos, 28 members
- your most beautiful pictures 266,935 photos, 6,341 members
- Gibson's Discount Center - "Where you Buy The Best For Less" 63 photos, 28 members
- Ponderosa Steakhouse Bonanza 231 photos, 32 members
- Hills Department Store 143 photos, 35 members
- Builders Square Stores 136 photos, 25 members
- Michael's ,The Arts and Craft Store 33 photos, 5 members
- Sears & Kmart Closings 17,176 photos, 150 members
- Retail & Restaurant Trucks 159 photos, 43 members
- TJ Maxx ,Marshalls ,and HomeGoods 107 photos, 8 members
- Pier 1 Imports Stores on flickr 113 photos, 4 members
- Tractor Supply Co. 227 photos, 36 members
- Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers 574 photos, 31 members
- Little Caesars Pizza! Pizza! 315 photos, 48 members
- Winn-Dixie 1,114 photos, 19 members
- Hobby Lobby 195 photos, 33 members
- Walmart Supercenter 4,066 photos, 30 members
- Nothing But 'Yum' 3,252 photos, 91 members
- Dunkin Donuts Worldwide 749 photos, 41 members
- First location of a chain 49 photos, 24 members
- Perfect Beauty II 1,354,217 photos, 15,297 members
- Super Kmart 3,087 photos, 57 members
- →Group wi†h Ҽxperience⏎ 3,859,160 photos, 549,441 members
- Best Buy Stores 341 photos, 26 members
- Rose's Department Stores 190 photos, 19 members
- All about Walmart 304 photos, 27 members
- Sun Oil Company 53 photos, 41 members
- Mall Forensics 1,386 photos, 26 members
- belk 312 photos, 16 members
- Spencer Gifts 12 photos, 4 members
- Meet SpongeBob SquarePants...In Person!!! 68 photos, 19 members
- New stores 103 photos, 2 members
- Vintage Texaco 2,915 photos, 499 members
- Pawn shop, USA 814 photos, 104 members
- Vintage Price Stickers 302 photos, 196 members
- Family Dollar 280 photos, 29 members
- Dollar Tree Stores 405 photos, 30 members
- New life to old photos 181 photos, 19 members
Retail Memories says:
"Ryanrules95 is pretty young to have this fascination with retail conversions, but once he caught the "disease," he caught it bad! He's just as hooked as the rest of us.
And he is not afraid to simply ask the proprietor if he can take some pics, where the more timid would hold back.
His photoset of the Burger King (about a 1982 model) converted to a mirror and glass shop, are legendary."
July 30th, 2009
- September 2007
- Hampton Roads, VA
- Hampton Roads, VA, United States of America
- I am: