Howdy all! I'm Ryan, and you've stumbled upon my vast personal collection of retail photography (hence the name RetailByRyan95, formerly over-confident Ryanrules95).
Who am I? A Hampton Roads Virginia native and just a big ol’ dork who happens to be super into commercial architecture and such. Oh, and I like cartoons and funny movies and rap/r&b music but that doesn’t matter much on here. But yeah, retail alone is just another interest and side project. Wanna hear my boring story? Read on…
I’ve been a part of the photography game since June 2007, when my younger self used my mom’s brand newish digital camera to take some random store pictures while riding on the highway. It was for shits and giggles at first (they were godawful looking too) until I kept on doing it until it became habit.
After a few months of lurking Flickr, I joined on September 8th, 2007 because it was the day I first had Internet at home and I’d seen other users post retail photos. I mean, really, people take this weird stuff seriously? Who knew? I kept on posting and posting new pictures and became a part of the retail community on here. Gradually, the photos I presented became a lot better and I’m now in a comfortable place with them.
Needless to say, my photostream is probably the best source on the web if you’re interested in the history of businesses in Hampton Roads alone. I take all the photos myself (unless credited to another website) and do extensive research on buildings from various sources (newspapers, phone books, etc.) as well as my general knowledge of retail. However, all that info I put in the description isn’t 100% accurate since I’m human too (as far as you know).
What I have is a never-ending project since businesses come and go like crazy. Plus there’s a helluva lot of places I need to go to re-take some of the really lousy pics I currently have, so I have a full plate. It’s a lot of fun to go around and get the best shots I can, at some costs. Needless to say, some people don’t like what I do, and I have gotten in serious trouble before, but my passion keeps me going. So uh, just stay tuned to when I put some new pics up and enjoy what is before you now!
PLEASE NOTE: The photos on this photostream are NOT meant to advertise the pictured businesses. They are for the sole purpose of retail history and development documentation, and are not intended for commercial use. They are also NOT intended to demonstrate how a store runs or the quality of that store. The sole purpose of this photostream is to document the business life of the 2000s and 2010s, to observe how stores were set-up and decorated at the time, and for future usage on the subject matter. So if you own one of these places, don’t come yapping to me just because I took some photos. That’s your own problem.
CONTACT INFO: If you want me to visit a local location, or happen to like a photo of mine enough to actually use it in your own presentation(s), shoot me a message here on Flickr, or email me at email@example.com where I’ll be happy to oblige. Compensation is optional, of course. Just don’t steal ‘em. Good day.
- A&P! R.I.P. 2015 683 photos, 25 members
- Remember the Radioshack! 177 photos, 50 members
- Shoppers Food and Pharmacy 134 photos, 10 members
- The Bon-Ton Stores Inc. 136 photos, 31 members
- Revco Drug Stores 7 photos, 9 members
- Rax Roast Beef 35 photos, 23 members
- your most beautiful pictures 58,523 photos, 4,785 members
- Gibson's Discount Center 33 photos, 11 members
- Ponderosa Steakhouse Bonanza 107 photos, 23 members
- Hills Department Store 86 photos, 18 members
- Builders Square Stores 88 photos, 10 members
- Michael's ,The Arts and Craft Store 26 photos, 6 members
- Sears & Kmart Closings 2,970 photos, 72 members
- Retail & Restaurant Trucks 141 photos, 37 members
- TJ Maxx ,Marshalls ,and HomeGoods 21 photos, 5 members
- Pier 1 Imports Stores on flickr 101 photos, 4 members
- Tractor Supply Co. 102 photos, 27 members
- Wendy's Old Fashioned Hamburgers 236 photos, 15 members
- Little Caesars Pizza! Pizza! 172 photos, 37 members
- Winn-Dixie 647 photos, 16 members
- Hobby Lobby 85 photos, 27 members
- Walmart Supercenter 744 photos, 17 members
- Nothing But 'Yum' 2,012 photos, 77 members
- Dunkin Donuts Worldwide 401 photos, 27 members
- First location of a chain 20 photos, 16 members
- Perfect Beauty II 896,492 photos, 13,047 members
- Super Kmart 1,767 photos, 29 members
- ♔Group wi†h Ҽxperience♔ 2,958,130 photos, 367,016 members
- Best Buy Stores 247 photos, 22 members
- Rose's Department Stores 94 photos, 15 members
- All about Walmart 1,129 photos, 23 members
- Sun Oil Company 51 photos, 42 members
- Mall Forensics 232 photos, 23 members
- belk 133 photos, 13 members
- Spencer Gifts 13 photos, 3 members
- Meet SpongeBob SquarePants...In Person!!! 70 photos, 18 members
- New stores 105 photos, 2 members
- Vintage Texaco 2,828 photos, 465 members
- Pawn shop, USA 734 photos, 96 members
- Vintage Price Stickers 157 photos, 185 members
- Family Dollar 202 photos, 18 members
- Dollar Tree Stores 254 photos, 18 members
- New life to old photos 179 photos, 20 members
- Checkers and Rally's 84 photos, 14 members
- American Family Restaurant Chains 1,252 photos, 79 members
- Denny's 150 photos, 44 members
- Jack in the Box 247 photos, 43 members
- Arby's 392 photos, 28 members
- Baskin-Robbins — 31 Flavors 115 photos, 36 members
- Photo finishing & developing envelopes negative sleeves ephemera 645 photos, 101 members
Darrell L James says:
"Ryanrules95 is pretty young to have this fascination with retail conversions, but once he caught the "disease," he caught it bad! He's just as hooked as the rest of us.
And he is not afraid to simply ask the proprietor if he can take some pics, where the more timid would hold back.
His photoset of the Burger King (about a 1982 model) converted to a mirror and glass shop, are legendary."
July 30th, 2009
- September 2007
- Hampton Roads, VA
- Hampton Roads, VA, United States of America
- I am: