I'm a Visual Facilitator, also known as a Graphic Facilitator.
Imagine a workshop or seminar. Sitting in the corner is an artist with an easel. That artist is visually interpreting the ideas that are flying around the room. That artist is me.
I work on my Rectron-sponsored Asus R1E tablet pc, painting primarily in ArtRage Studio Pro 3, with a video projector hooked up to my machine so that people can see what I'm painting.
At the end of the session, everyone gets to take home the pictures I've made.
Here's a link to my Flickr set showing some of my work: Visual Facilitation.
I'm happy to work anywhere in the world, with the proviso that I have fair notice to sort out visas where necessary.
Please head for royblumenthal.com/portfolio for my fees.
Coffee-Shops and Me
I'm a coffee-shop schmuck, and I spend much of my time sketching people in coffee-shops. I'm somewhat of a leftie (probably more of a left libertarian than anything) and a sometime activist.
I live my art in prosperity and abundance.
All of the earlier drawings are done directly onto an iPAQ 2210 palmtop computer, running a licensed version of Mobile Atelier drawing software. These pics are NOT suitable for artprints, except small, cos their resolution is only 320 x 240 pixels. I'm VERY happy to print them out as postcards for you. Lemme know, and I'll do it.
The later, more detailed, higher-resolution drawings are done on my Toshiba Tecra M4 or Asus R1E tablet pc, running ArtRage 2.5, Alias Sketchbook Pro 2.0, Corel Painter 9.5, and Photoshop CS2 and CS3. Almost every painting I make now is done in ArtRage.
(Sandi asked me if I get paid for mentioning ArtRage and Toshiba. The answer is a resounding no. I get nothing from those companies. No favours. No freebies. No money. No nothing. I just love what their tech does for me. I *DO* have a sponsorship deal with Rectron for the Asus R1E.)
I generally draw the line work on the top layer first, and then I colour on the layer below that. Each painting takes between 60 and 240 minutes to make, the colouring taking most of the time.
Creative Commons -- Attribution, Share-Alike
I'm a great believer in the open source movement. That's why I release all of my artworks under a Creative Commons 'attribution, share-alike' license.
(It's also why I buy music from magnatune.com/.)
My license means that you're free to use my work as you see fit, as long as I'm credited, and you distribute your work under the same license.
Swaps of Prints
I love doing swaps with other photographers and artists around the world. If there's a pic of mine you like, and I like one of yours, let's swap. Here's the deal... I give you a signed print, you give me a signed print. That way we both win.
Here's my postal address...
PO Box 532
I've moved my blog to royblumenthal.com. I mostly deal with issues pertinent to my Visual Facilitation practice.
My Stuff on Zazzle
I'm now selling my artworks on various items at Zazzle. They're an official Flickr associate, so give it a try!
My Prickie.com Button Shop
I have a button shop-front on Prickie.com. I supply the designs, they print, manufacture, and ship the buttons. I get an incredible US75c per button sold!! So make me rich! Go and buy my buttons.
Please note that one of my absolute aims is to offend people. So if you're NOT offended by my lapel badges, please let me know what I'm doing wrong!!!
Here's the address of my shop-front: .
Where to Find Me
Facebook: Roy Blumenthal
Shared Google Reader Links: schmucknews
Cellphone: +27 74 104 6386. (That '+27' is the country code. Pop that number into your cellphone as it stands, and it should get to me.)
My Flickrstream hit 25 000 views in the first week of December 2006! Yay!
And it's just hit 30 000 views in the last week of January 2007! Thanks for looking at my pics!
Just gone to 40 000 views of my pics on Sunday 19 August 2007.
50 000 views of my pics -- Wednesday 6 August 2008. Note the slowdown? That's cos Flickr doesn't include drawings in any public searches.
60 000 views of my pics -- Tuesday 11 August 2009.
70 000 views -- Tuesday 28 December 2010.
- Free for commercial use 2,776 photos, 1,027 members
- arteipad 7,216 photos, 176 members
- Sketch Club Art 3,831 photos, 187 members
- iPad Paintings 38,492 photos, 717 members
- A Magia da Cor !!! 64,112 photos, 448 members
- words lo 971 photos, 411 members
- TYPO Berlin 2010 396 photos, 60 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 400,684 photos, 103,452 members
- Art and Photography 58,096 photos, 1,789 members
- Graphic Facilitation Recording 1,102 photos, 154 members
- Visual Language 5,662 photos, 791 members
- vizthink! 2,333 photos, 328 members
- viznotes 331 photos, 73 members
- Cartoon Land 5,931 photos, 269 members
- No rules-Best rules !!! 25,067 photos, 194 members
- People reading (in your art, no photos) 3,086 photos, 285 members
- Urban Sketchers 266,148 photos, 10,372 members
- ** I made it --> 18,997 photos, 792 members
- Moleskinerie 129,522 photos, 23,399 members
- Extended Twitter Background screenshot 27 photos, 79 members
- Frozen Pea Friday 274 photos, 316 members
- Artists Without Cameras 50,516 photos, 1,189 members
- Eye Candy Art Post (share 2 comment 2) 38,001 photos, 2,671 members
- Moleskine Alchemists 22,570 photos, 1,398 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,191 photos, 81,324 members
- NexusForChange 715 photos, 12 members
- The World Café 140 photos, 14 members
- drawings 186,075 photos, 7,939 members
- Creative Commons (pls read the rules) 84,013 photos, 2,859 members
- Zazzle.com 4,109 photos, 654 members
- :: Just Art- "Be Creativ" :: 11,473 photos, 342 members
- Wacom GFX 4,339 photos, 481 members
- Wacom Drawings 7,841 photos, 808 members
- My Moleskine 57,232 photos, 4,584 members
- Moleskine: One Page at a Time. 57,496 photos, 4,619 members
- Artists And Their Art 213,959 photos, 6,861 members
- Contemporary Art 20,736 photos, 806 members
- Bin Laden... Is This Him??? 175 photos, 41 members
- Portraits from my city... (invite your all contacts) 3,413 photos, 425 members
- Animals in Your Art 85,098 photos, 4,786 members
- Comics 77,454 photos, 4,381 members
- CARTOONS 34,056 photos, 2,492 members
- The Comics Group 41,495 photos, 3,575 members
- ERRATICA 16,257 photos, 1,913 members
- Imagination to canvas: pencil, pen, paint, chalk, charcoal 1,694 photos, 192 members
- Your Creative Work 1,032 photos, 109 members
- --C-A-D-A-!- Creative Army of Digital Artists ™ 10,922 photos, 296 members
- 10 FAV Portraits (Drawn or Painted) 899 photos, 174 members
- Art - Drawing and Painting 493,018 photos, 17,906 members
- internet artists gallery 225,035 photos, 5,977 members
"Roy's art speaks to our aspirations and inhibitions both, to our limits and possibilities. His visual facilitation and training resource paintings have inspired me with their frank summaries of what matters, and what might matter soon. The colours jump at me, delight me, and the composition moves my eyes as though the images are alive and active. Everything that Roy paints or draws seems like a moment in time captured for prosperity. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to share those moments, and look forward to many more to come!
June 1st, 2008
"I like Roy's work ..... a visual treat"
January 24th, 2008
"Roy is a fantastic artist who is evangelical about ArtRage. The way he creates images on a computer that look just like paintings is astonishing! He has a lot of time for the Flickr community and is always on hand with technical advice, constructive critisism and encouraging comments. His artwork is a sensation. His use of colour and the feelings that he evokes with his work is phenomenal!"
July 27th, 2006
"Roy is so great I love looking at his work and the way he transforms images into his own artwork. His work is fun, clever, quirky and honest!"
July 8th, 2006
- Roy Blumenthal
- April 2005
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Visual Facilitator & Artist-at-Large
- Roy Blumenthal -- The Easel Empire