I'm male and very much taken...
I've been a photo enthusiast since 1948, when I received a Kodak Brownie Flash 620 for my 14th birthday, and I gradually worked my way up to my first SLR, a Nikon F, and have been a Nikon user ever since, though the most important camera in my life was this one: The camera that started it all. I did serve a brief stint as a wedding photographer for the Hartford, Connecticut branch of a large New York studio back in the 1960s, using a Speed Graphic with 120 film and a 2-1/4x3-1/4 inch film back on it, plus a monstrously heavy Braun strobe unit; but otherwise, with the exception of a few images that I have for sale through Getty, I've been purely an amateur. Automation was not a word applied to photography in any way in those days, and the only mode was manual. Photographers had to either eyeball the light or use a hand held exposure meter (I eyeballed for many years before getting a meter) to set our f-stops and shutter speeds. We also had to calculate flash settings, using guide numbers, and, impossible as it may seem to photographers starting out today, we usually ended up with dead-on exposures. Be that as it may, I gratefully latched on to as much automation as manufacturers could stuff into their cameras, and I am now the happy owner of a Nikon D7100, with a D90 as a back-up, and my 18-200mm VR lens has replaced many of my older lenses, though nothing will ever replace my Nikkor 105mm micro lens. I shoot exclusively in RAW format, using either aperture priority or, when the lighting is tricky, manual mode. The images I upload consist of a hodgepodge of all sorts of different subjects I've photographed throughout the 65+ years that I've been squeezing shutter buttons (O.k., I know that, to be with it, I'm supposed to say "images I've captured" instead of "subjects I've photographed," but y' gotta cut me some slack here; remember, I'm an old feller...}
I have also been having a lot of fun with Photoshop Elements which, with a bunch of Topaz plugins, I find to be such a powerful image editing program that I have neither the need nor the desire to "upgrade" to the full Photoshop version. Every image that I have ever posted to Flickr has been run through PSE, mostly to tweak exposure and white balance, but you'll find some that have been manipulated clear beyond the realm of reality. It's all in fun, and that's all I'm here for: FUN.
Regarding groups, especially those that require comments or faves, I have found that those I have joined (far too many), while fun, have proved to be too time consuming. I do comment regularly on other Flickr photos, and I very much enjoy doing so, but I mainly search through my contacts for images that catch my eye and comment on them because I truly feel they deserve a comment, not because of some group requirement. So, if I don't accept your invitation to join a group, please understand; as much as I may like to join you, I simply don't have the time.
I was born and raised in New England, but after 30 years of putting up with that region's inhospitable climate, my pregnant wife Sammy, our year-old son and our two German shepherds piled into our brand new 1967 Chevy Bel Aire station wagon, after selling our home in Connecticut, and headed west to sunny California. I didn't have a job waiting for me, but we knew we desperately wanted to escape to that mild Mediterranean climate, and we had faith it would all work out; and It did, far beyond our expectations.
Photos of Romair (7)
- Topaz Studio 2,498 photos, 128 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks 23,758 photos, 5,097 members
- Smile on Saturday!:-) 12,562 photos, 2,894 members
- Spotlight Your Best →Text Letters Numbers← NO snaps 15,504 photos, 880 members
- PLANET EARTH BACK IN THE DAY 300,071 photos, 6,276 members
- I Love Black and White! 2,203,665 photos, 70,859 members
- ~~fence friday~~(NOT the original) 45,384 photos, 1,848 members
- Less Is More... 62,663 photos, 60,757 members
- Nik Software Photo Share 289,060 photos, 7,856 members
- Maximal minimalism 45,766 photos, 2,890 members
- Textural Tuesday 4,520 photos, 180 members
- The Flickr Lounge 24,056 photos, 243 members
- Nikon D7100 DSLR 488,854 photos, 10,428 members
- B Square 341,357 photos, 10,048 members
- Creative Tabletop Photography 375,382 photos, 23,904 members
- Senior Moments 146,847 photos, 488 members
- Kodak Retina and Retinette Lovers 5,155 photos, 335 members
- Estonia 34,474 photos, 1,844 members
- Fenced Friday 77,902 photos, 4,374 members
- Topaz Software 182,964 photos, 6,505 members
- MACRO MONDAYS 163,683 photos, 13,907 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 56,572 photos, 2,472 members
- Canon PowerShot S95 - Official Group 63,408 photos, 3,391 members
- WAY Better Than Good 31,195 photos, 323 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Monochrome Mondays *OPEN* 4,560,366 photos, 122,050 members
- Birds Photos 2,984,505 photos, 87,586 members
- Marin County, California 18,200 photos, 1,076 members
- all about fishing 14,566 photos, 2,958 members
- Down Under Challenge 11,624 photos, 338 members
- El Paso Joe's Place - NO invite needed - Just great photos 287,762 photos, 2,670 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,090,197 photos, 130,271 members
- Black and White 6,841,030 photos, 357,989 members
- Nikon Digital 3,983,208 photos, 111,271 members
- Adobe Photoshop Elements (PSE) 130,169 photos, 8,644 members
R-Rated Birdman says:
"I have been privileged to enjoy Roger's photos for about a year now. His creativity with both camera and Photoshop is just astounding. I love his "photo shopped" images! This is where real creativity is a must and Roger has it in spades.
I also enjoy reading the captions he posts along with his photos. Most entertaining and informative.
Yer a master!
I'm proud to have you as one of my contacts."
November 24th, 2007
- Roger Johnson
- May 2006
- Corte Madera, CA
- I am:
- Male and Taken