Roger Paperno's grandmother gave him a Kodak Instamatic 124 Camera for his seventh birthday - and he was hooked. In fact, he's been so busy he hasn't had time to send her a proper thank you note; he's working on it though. Whether its reportage work at birthday parties or advertising jobs in remote corners of the world, he tries to see things in their true light. He shows the inner beauty and simplicity of form that is present in everything, from a Parisian in a smokey cafe to a cruise ship in the Panama Canal.
"Working on location is a source of excitement for me. I love trying to overcome and solve the zillion little challenges that are encountered in the real world. My goal is for you to feel that my photo is real, not staged and that you, the viewer, are a part of it."
His early influences include Henri Cartier Bresson, Richard Avedon,Dorothea Lange and Margaret Burke White. 'I have always admired the color shooters, iconic photographers like Pete Turner, Jay Maisel and Greg Heisler, but it is the classic black and white shooters that have real soul.'
Roger's fourth book in the Cafe Life series, was just published by Interlink Press. Cafe Life San Francisco is on the shelves along with his other books.
The Chicago Tribune just reviewed our book, "Cafe Life San Francisco". Here's what they had to say;
"San Francisco is famous for its cafe culture. In this colorful guide, writer Joe Wolff and photographer Roger Paperno explore the city's neighborhoods in search of the best cafes. Wolff offers lengthy portraits of each cafe and its owner, while Paperno's gorgeous photographs give the book an elegant finishing touch. Each profile is accompanied by an anecdote. Caffe Greco, for example, makes an "almost proprietary" Greco cookie that is orange-flavored and dipped in Belgian chocolate.
Some of the venues, such as Emporio Rulli Il Caffe in Union Square or La Copa Loca in the Mission District, specialize in Italian pastries and gelatos. Famous cafes and bakeries such as Liguria Bakery, in North Beach, also are here."
You can get your very own copy at Amazon,
His clients include; The Gap, Saturn Cars, Specialized Bicycles, Banana Republic, Norwegian Cruise Line, Crystal Cruise Line, Holiday Inn, Regent Cruise Line, Carnival Corporation, Seabourn Cruise Line, Sol Melia Resorts, Doral Golf and Country Club, Hard Rock Casino, Mohegan Sun Casino, Costa Cruise Line, and many more.
PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR USE MY PHOTOS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. All my work is copyright, please email me if you wish to buy and use any of my work. Thank you.
More of my work and contact info at;
phone 404.723.3300 or 310.626.0123
- MACRO APO-LANTHAR 65mm F2 Aspherical 1,168 photos, 165 members
- Zeiss Loxia 85mm 2.4 598 photos, 133 members
- Leica CL digital (APS-C format) 4,375 photos, 234 members
- Leica Q (Type 116) 48,256 photos, 3,135 members
- Tjaarda Automotive Design 784 photos, 112 members
- Rangefinders 236,547 photos, 3,743 members
- Windstar Tahiti 2014 96 photos, 5 members
- Sube lo que quieras / Up what you want 160,816 photos, 1,668 members
- wrist watches 25,273 photos, 3,939 members
- Phase One User Group 9,152 photos, 1,048 members
- Leica Summicron-M 90mm 6,359 photos, 1,013 members
- LEICA ELMARIT-M 1:2.8/90mm 1,604 photos, 238 members
- mingthein.com: the reader portfolio 43,061 photos, 2,493 members
- Libro de Fotos / Photo Book 733,801 photos, 8,823 members
- La mar de buena / The sea of good 22,943 photos, 1,330 members
- Architect Unknown 23,770 photos, 642 members
- Thinks Photo Magazin 16,311 photos, 1,094 members
- This wonderful garden called "Earth" – P1/C1 please... 11,704 photos, 1,011 members
- M6 & MP LEICA 105,639 photos, 4,909 members
- Fotos con arte - P 1 / C 2 please... 46,973 photos, 1,342 members
- The 50s Turn 60 995 photos, 185 members
- A Photographers View 336,719 photos, 3,698 members
- Beauty In Our Lives - Post 1 = Comment 1. Quality only! 96,920 photos, 1,861 members
- La passion des fleurs du monde entier [p1/a1] 20,241 photos, 1,080 members
- All That's Beautiful Post 1 & Award 2 . . . Please 126,062 photos, 2,830 members
- A New Art & Photo Gallery - P1/C1 102,309 photos, 2,429 members
- living in harmony with nature 82,359 photos, 1,871 members
- listen to the secret melody of life 48,593 photos, 1,254 members
- simplicite - NATURE !!! 25,711 photos, 907 members
- sweetness of life with nature 28,391 photos, 994 members
- *♥*Stunning Art ♪ ART WORKS 6,957 photos, 870 members
- Seattle Leica Users Group 2,574 photos, 102 members
- >TRANSFORMED > 43,488 photos, 998 members
- Animals Are Amazing - P1/C1 Please... 20,417 photos, 1,031 members
- Floricultura - flores e poesia / flowers and poetry 12,433 photos, 750 members
- Arca de Noé - Noah's ark P1/A1 please... 2,495 photos, 544 members
- Scudetto ...)--V--(... [detail fotos only] 566 photos, 233 members
- Alfa Romeo Spider (1966 to 1993) 2,510 photos, 238 members
- * Alfa Bertone Coupé: Giulia GT Sprint, GTV and GT Junior * 5,141 photos, 527 members
- Search The Best (Post INVITED Photos Only) 1,631 photos, 550 members
- My Wife/Girlfriend is my model 7,218 photos, 1,390 members
- Steve Huff Leica M9 Contents - The rest of the bunch! 2,502 photos, 197 members
- Nikkor 50mm 1.2 26,886 photos, 2,614 members
- The Wonderful World of Portraits - (only invited photos) 123,005 photos, 10,601 members
- Leica M3 53,049 photos, 2,933 members
- LeicaShots 31,645 photos, 365 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,249,333 photos, 77,135 members
- Jewish Photographers 6,491 photos, 246 members
- top 20 dog shots 36 photos, 7 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,089,075 photos, 130,038 members
superb lock says:
"If you want to see the work of art from the Master, you have to look at Roger's photos. Each of his photos will tell you a wonderful story if it's not taking you in to a fantastic journey. I'm mesmerized by his work..."
July 10th, 2008
Roger Mann says:
"Roger's portfolio is awash with beautifully competent images which, although commercial, have a distinct creative edge which sets them apart from the crowd. It's what I would like to achieve but probably never will."
June 17th, 2008
"Looking at Roger's photo-stream takes us on an incredible journey around the world. Along the way, we get to see the beauty of places we may never travel through his inspired vision. After 3 years of studying thousands of photographers work on Flickr, in Roger, I have found my photography Guru. You can bet I'll be closely watching his heavenly work!"
June 5th, 2008
ossie hermosisima says:
"I'd like to see more of his beautiful images. Flickr is blessed with this one great photographer. They ought to give him a free pro account."
June 2nd, 2008
- Roger Paperno
- January 2008
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles / Miami
- I am:
- rogerpaperno [at] mac.com