Roger Paperno's grandmother gave him a Kodak Instamatic 124 Camera for his seventh birthday - and he was hooked. In fact, he's been so busy he hasn't had time to send her a proper thank you note; he's working on it though. Whether its reportage work at birthday parties or advertising jobs in remote corners of the world, he tries to see things in their true light. He shows the inner beauty and simplicity of form that is present in everything, from a Parisian in a smokey cafe to a cruise ship in the Panama Canal.
"Working on location is a source of excitement for me. I love trying to overcome and solve the zillion little challenges that are encountered in the real world. My goal is for you to feel that my photo is real, not staged and that you, the viewer, are a part of it."
His early influences include Henri Cartier Bresson, Richard Avedon,Dorothea Lange and Margaret Burke White. 'I have always admired the color shooters, iconic photographers like Pete Turner, Jay Maisel and Greg Heisler, but it is the classic black and white shooters that have real soul.'
Roger's fourth book in the Cafe Life series, was just published by Interlink Press. Cafe Life San Francisco is on the shelves along with his other books.
The Chicago Tribune just reviewed our book, "Cafe Life San Francisco". Here's what they had to say;
"San Francisco is famous for its cafe culture. In this colorful guide, writer Joe Wolff and photographer Roger Paperno explore the city's neighborhoods in search of the best cafes. Wolff offers lengthy portraits of each cafe and its owner, while Paperno's gorgeous photographs give the book an elegant finishing touch. Each profile is accompanied by an anecdote. Caffe Greco, for example, makes an "almost proprietary" Greco cookie that is orange-flavored and dipped in Belgian chocolate.
Some of the venues, such as Emporio Rulli Il Caffe in Union Square or La Copa Loca in the Mission District, specialize in Italian pastries and gelatos. Famous cafes and bakeries such as Liguria Bakery, in North Beach, also are here."
You can get your very own copy at Amazon,
His clients include; The Gap, Saturn Cars, Specialized Bicycles, Banana Republic, Norwegian Cruise Line, Crystal Cruise Line, Holiday Inn, Regent Cruise Line, Carnival Corporation, Seabourn Cruise Line, Sol Melia Resorts, Doral Golf and Country Club, Hard Rock Casino, Mohegan Sun Casino, Costa Cruise Line, and many more.
PLEASE DO NOT DOWNLOAD OR USE MY PHOTOS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. All my work is copyright, please email me if you wish to buy and use any of my work. Thank you.
More of my work and contact info at;
phone 404.723.3300 or 310.626.0123
- MACRO APO-LANTHAR 65mm F2 Aspherical 1,029 photos, 131 members
- Zeiss Loxia 85mm 2.4 400 photos, 123 members
- Leica CL digital (APS-C format) 2,610 photos, 184 members
- Leica Q (Type 116) 42,789 photos, 2,956 members
- Rangefinders 233,898 photos, 3,695 members
- Windstar Tahiti 2014 96 photos, 5 members
- Sube lo que quieras / Up what you want 157,211 photos, 1,659 members
- wrist watches 24,867 photos, 3,942 members
- Phase One User Group 8,862 photos, 1,028 members
- Leica Summicron-M 90mm 6,142 photos, 990 members
- LEICA ELMARIT-M 1:2.8/90mm 1,559 photos, 228 members
- mingthein.com: the reader portfolio 43,825 photos, 2,488 members
- Libro de Fotos / Photo Book 717,789 photos, 8,829 members
- La mar de buena / The sea of good 22,190 photos, 1,325 members
- Architect Unknown 22,884 photos, 644 members
- Thinks Photo Magazin 16,491 photos, 1,101 members
- This wonderful garden called "Earth" – P1/C1 please... 11,715 photos, 1,013 members
- M6 & MP LEICA 104,141 photos, 4,817 members
- Fotos con arte - P 1 / C 2 please... 46,780 photos, 1,346 members
- The 50s Turn 60 989 photos, 187 members
- A Photographers View 314,840 photos, 3,556 members
- Beauty In Our Lives - Post 1 = Comment 1. Quality only! 95,736 photos, 1,859 members
- La passion des fleurs du monde entier [p1/a1] 21,807 photos, 1,082 members
- All That's Beautiful Post 1 & Award 2 . . . Please 124,841 photos, 2,774 members
- A New Art & Photo Gallery - P1/C1 101,031 photos, 2,425 members
- living in harmony with nature 81,709 photos, 1,865 members
- listen to the secret melody of life 47,764 photos, 1,248 members
- simplicite - NATURE !!! 25,498 photos, 908 members
- sweetness of life with nature 28,304 photos, 994 members
- *♥*Stunning Art ♪ ART WORKS 7,125 photos, 870 members
- Seattle Leica Users Group 2,340 photos, 98 members
- >TRANSFORMED > 43,942 photos, 1,001 members
- Animals Are Amazing - P1/C1 Please... 20,252 photos, 1,026 members
- Floricultura - flores e poesia / flowers and poetry 12,607 photos, 749 members
- Arca de Noé - Noah's ark P1/A1 please... 2,498 photos, 545 members
- Scudetto ...)--V--(... [detail fotos only] 563 photos, 233 members
- Alfa Romeo Spider (1966 to 1993) 2,388 photos, 230 members
- * Alfa Bertone Coupé: Giulia GT Sprint, GTV and GT Junior * 4,849 photos, 512 members
- Search The Best (Post INVITED Photos Only) 1,662 photos, 556 members
- My Wife/Girlfriend is my model 7,184 photos, 1,368 members
- Steve Huff Leica M9 Contents - The rest of the bunch! 2,531 photos, 195 members
- Nikkor 50mm 1.2 26,650 photos, 2,565 members
- The Wonderful World of Portraits - (only invited photos) 122,114 photos, 10,035 members
- Leica M3 51,672 photos, 2,852 members
- LeicaShots 29,847 photos, 362 members
- National Geographic: Are You Good Enough? Post 1, Nominate 3 1,245,251 photos, 77,164 members
- Jewish Photographers 6,435 photos, 240 members
- top 20 dog shots 36 photos, 7 members
- Dogs! Dogs! Dogs! 1,090,048 photos, 130,273 members
- Just Street Photography 2,459,461 photos, 77,851 members
superb lock says:
"If you want to see the work of art from the Master, you have to look at Roger's photos. Each of his photos will tell you a wonderful story if it's not taking you in to a fantastic journey. I'm mesmerized by his work..."
July 10th, 2008
Roger Mann says:
"Roger's portfolio is awash with beautifully competent images which, although commercial, have a distinct creative edge which sets them apart from the crowd. It's what I would like to achieve but probably never will."
June 17th, 2008
"Looking at Roger's photo-stream takes us on an incredible journey around the world. Along the way, we get to see the beauty of places we may never travel through his inspired vision. After 3 years of studying thousands of photographers work on Flickr, in Roger, I have found my photography Guru. You can bet I'll be closely watching his heavenly work!"
June 5th, 2008
ossie hermosisima says:
"I'd like to see more of his beautiful images. Flickr is blessed with this one great photographer. They ought to give him a free pro account."
June 2nd, 2008
- Roger Paperno
- January 2008
- San Francisco
- Los Angeles / Miami
- I am:
- rogerpaperno [at] mac.com