I posted my first image on Flickr on 18th November 2004.
I am a semi-professional photographer based in the north of England. My main interests are nature and landscape photography.
I describe myself as a "semi-professional photographer" because:
♦ I always aim to produce photographs of a professional standard;
♦ I earn money from photography, but it's not my only source of income.
You can view a selection of my published images here.
I first started taking pictures when I was a kid. At the age of sixteen, I bought my first proper camera: a second-hand Russian Zenit 3M. I also learnt how to develop and print my photos in a friend's darkroom.
Three decades on, I switched to digital - and I haven't looked back since!
I have used various different cameras over the years. These days I mostly use an Olympus E-3, but I occasionally use my old E-500 for monochrome work.
ALL of the images that I publish on the web are copyrighted: © Roger Butterfield, all rights reserved.
Please do not download or use my pictures in publications, documents, presentations, websites, blogs, etc without first obtaining my express permission. If you do wish to use a picture, please contact me and I will respond as quickly as I can.
Please note that I do not normally permit commercial enterprises to use my images free-of-charge.
Comments, Invitations and Awards
I welcome constructive comments, but please do not use my photostream to promote your own Flickr group(s) or award schemes. Any comments containing icons or images (including animated gifs) will be deleted.
I have a large collection of family photographs, both old and new. For privacy, viewing is restricted to people on my "family contacts" list. If you would like to view the pictures, please contact me.
Photos of Roger B. (2)
- Coastal Flora and Fauna and Habitats (NW Europe) 3,047 photos, 104 members
- Plant communities of Europe 1,525 photos, 167 members
- British Bees, Wasps and Ants (Hymenoptera) 11,401 photos, 469 members
- Yorkshire Wildlife 4,799 photos, 84 members
- THE BRITISH PTERIDOLOGICAL SOCIETY The Fern Society 2,553 photos, 103 members
- Penistone, South Yorkshire 831 photos, 33 members
- Olympus E-M1 Photography 60,413 photos, 1,352 members
- Tour de France 2014 1,115 photos, 138 members
- Eastern Moors Partnership 2,703 photos, 70 members
- Yorkshire Water: Reservoirs 546 photos, 80 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 56,415 photos, 1,773 members
- Plantlife Bloomwatch: UK Wild flowers & other native flora 6,920 photos, 138 members
- Shield Bugs and other Miridae 10,171 photos, 535 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 108 photos, 479 members
- Scotland Outdoors Magazine 3,584 photos, 232 members
- Flora of Nottinghamshire 220 photos, 10 members
- Mid-Century Architecture (Non-Residential) 8,634 photos, 633 members
- headlines 1,548 photos, 46 members
- The Great War Archive Flickr Group 12,995 photos, 902 members
- Manfrotto Official 54,474 photos, 2,629 members
- Bees, bees, bees! 81,022 photos, 15,701 members
- Yorkshire Garden Wildlife 937 photos, 55 members
- A New Flora of the Sheffield Area 796 photos, 36 members
- Chester Zoo 19,694 photos, 1,091 members
- The Sorby Natural History Society, Sheffield 5,787 photos, 78 members
- Scottish Wildlife 46,242 photos, 1,358 members
- The Moss Valley, Sheffield/Derbyshire 331 photos, 30 members
- Moorland Restoration / Moors for the Future 98 photos, 15 members
- Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) 1,283 photos, 19 members
- Heather Moorland UK 2,087 photos, 123 members
- Sheffield 44,615 photos, 2,317 members
- RSPB Leighton Moss 9,691 photos, 446 members
- Countryfile 503,350 photos, 5,976 members
- Thorne and Hatfield Moors Conservation Forum 423 photos, 33 members
- RSPB Anglesey South Stack 923 photos, 121 members
- Farming Life 26,845 photos, 1,182 members
- Then and now: family stories 18 photos, 25 members
- Wildscreen Arkive - images of life on Earth 106,551 photos, 1,571 members
- European Birds and Wildlife 136,303 photos, 1,497 members
- Close Up and Macro Photography 18,956 photos, 350 members
- Seeds 11,112 photos, 1,830 members
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserves 3,933 photos, 151 members
- Adobe Lightroom 37,834 photos, 25,993 members
- Anglesey (Ynys Môn) 16,962 photos, 732 members
- Fruit & Veg 211,081 photos, 47,314 members
- Biodiversity and Biological Recording 696 photos, 30 members
- Orobanchaceae 6,805 photos, 279 members
- Parasitic Plants 955 photos, 136 members
- The Natural World of Cornwall 3,256 photos, 150 members
- The Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall, UK 4,044 photos, 270 members
"A delight to follow Roger's photostream as the wonderful photographs are always accompanied with information about the subject. As a fellow 'Sheffielder' too it's inspiring to know whats out there local to me. Great stream of photo's, especially for nature lovers."
December 17th, 2007
"A amazing eye for nature! - Always looking forward to your photographs"
September 23rd, 2007
"I discovered Roger's photographs here on Flickr not long after I joined early in 2005. Since then it's been an absolute pleasure to see the constant stream of high quality images - not least of which is one of my favourite sheep shots taken near Derwent Reservoir.
One of Flickr's best for sure. Thank you for continuing to share your images with us."
September 3rd, 2007
Son of Groucho says:
"Roger's pictures of plants, animals, and the natural world in general amply demonstrate that for him ecology is not just a profession, but a passion. The quality of his images is consistently high, giving the rest of us something to aspire to, but rarely match.
He's also quite an amusing bugger----sorry, I mean blogger!"
January 22nd, 2006
Trois Têtes (TT) says:
"Roger's photography skills make me very jealous. This is true, if a little shameful."
August 2nd, 2005
*LINNY * says:
"roger b. was one of the first people on flickr to ever leave a comment on my work, so you could say he was my first....he has been an inspiration, a very helpful and nice person, love his work. linny"
July 13th, 2005
- Roger Butterfield
- November 2004
- Sheffield, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ecologist, Trainer & Photographer