I posted my first image on Flickr on 18th November 2004.
I am a semi-professional photographer based in the north of England. My main interests are nature and landscape photography.
I describe myself as a "semi-professional photographer" because:
♦ I always aim to produce photographs of a professional standard;
♦ I earn money from photography, but it's not my only source of income.
You can view a selection of my published images here.
I first started taking pictures when I was a kid. At the age of sixteen, I bought my first proper camera: a second-hand Russian Zenit 3M. I also learnt how to develop and print my photos in a friend's darkroom.
Three decades on, I switched to digital - and I haven't looked back since!
I have used various different cameras over the years. These days I mostly use an Olympus E-3, but I occasionally use my old E-500 for monochrome work.
ALL of the images that I publish on the web are copyrighted: © Roger Butterfield, all rights reserved.
Please do not download or use my pictures in publications, documents, presentations, websites, blogs, etc without first obtaining my express permission. If you do wish to use a picture, please contact me and I will respond as quickly as I can.
Please note that I do not normally permit commercial enterprises to use my images free-of-charge.
Comments, Invitations and Awards
I welcome constructive comments, but please do not use my photostream to promote your own Flickr group(s) or award schemes. Any comments containing icons or images (including animated gifs) will be deleted.
I have a large collection of family photographs, both old and new. For privacy, viewing is restricted to people on my "family contacts" list. If you would like to view the pictures, please contact me.
Photos of Roger B. (2)
- Coastal Flora and Fauna and Habitats (NW Europe) 3,088 photos, 105 members
- Plant communities of Europe 1,555 photos, 169 members
- British Bees, Wasps and Ants (Hymenoptera) 11,546 photos, 474 members
- Yorkshire Wildlife 4,886 photos, 83 members
- THE BRITISH PTERIDOLOGICAL SOCIETY The Fern Society 2,577 photos, 104 members
- Penistone, South Yorkshire 833 photos, 33 members
- Olympus E-M1 Photography 62,086 photos, 1,368 members
- Tour de France 2014 1,097 photos, 138 members
- Eastern Moors Partnership 2,941 photos, 71 members
- Yorkshire Water: Reservoirs 553 photos, 81 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 57,021 photos, 1,782 members
- Plantlife Bloomwatch: UK Wild flowers & other native flora 6,976 photos, 138 members
- Shield Bugs and other Miridae 10,211 photos, 536 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 108 photos, 478 members
- Scotland Outdoors Magazine 3,584 photos, 233 members
- Flora of Nottinghamshire 223 photos, 10 members
- Mid-Century Architecture (Non-Residential) 8,661 photos, 635 members
- headlines 1,553 photos, 48 members
- The Great War Archive Flickr Group 13,201 photos, 907 members
- Manfrotto Official 55,687 photos, 2,637 members
- Bees, bees, bees! 81,636 photos, 15,746 members
- Yorkshire Garden Wildlife 940 photos, 54 members
- A New Flora of the Sheffield Area 798 photos, 36 members
- Chester Zoo 19,778 photos, 1,095 members
- The Sorby Natural History Society, Sheffield 5,921 photos, 80 members
- Scottish Wildlife 46,693 photos, 1,364 members
- The Moss Valley, Sheffield/Derbyshire 340 photos, 29 members
- Moorland Restoration / Moors for the Future 98 photos, 15 members
- Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) 1,292 photos, 19 members
- Heather Moorland UK 2,138 photos, 124 members
- Sheffield 44,617 photos, 2,325 members
- RSPB Leighton Moss 9,871 photos, 451 members
- Countryfile 511,332 photos, 6,052 members
- Thorne and Hatfield Moors Conservation Forum 424 photos, 33 members
- RSPB Anglesey South Stack 925 photos, 121 members
- Farming Life 27,132 photos, 1,185 members
- Then and now: family stories 18 photos, 25 members
- Wildscreen Arkive - images of life on Earth 108,042 photos, 1,576 members
- European Birds and Wildlife 138,333 photos, 1,510 members
- Close Up and Macro Photography 19,108 photos, 350 members
- Seeds 11,222 photos, 1,835 members
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserves 3,983 photos, 150 members
- Adobe Lightroom 38,752 photos, 26,043 members
- Anglesey (Ynys Môn) 17,075 photos, 738 members
- Fruit & Veg 209,016 photos, 47,488 members
- Biodiversity and Biological Recording 710 photos, 30 members
- Orobanchaceae 6,826 photos, 280 members
- Parasitic Plants 963 photos, 136 members
- The Natural World of Cornwall 3,312 photos, 149 members
- The Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall, UK 4,098 photos, 269 members
"A delight to follow Roger's photostream as the wonderful photographs are always accompanied with information about the subject. As a fellow 'Sheffielder' too it's inspiring to know whats out there local to me. Great stream of photo's, especially for nature lovers."
December 17th, 2007
"A amazing eye for nature! - Always looking forward to your photographs"
September 23rd, 2007
"I discovered Roger's photographs here on Flickr not long after I joined early in 2005. Since then it's been an absolute pleasure to see the constant stream of high quality images - not least of which is one of my favourite sheep shots taken near Derwent Reservoir.
One of Flickr's best for sure. Thank you for continuing to share your images with us."
September 3rd, 2007
Son of Groucho says:
"Roger's pictures of plants, animals, and the natural world in general amply demonstrate that for him ecology is not just a profession, but a passion. The quality of his images is consistently high, giving the rest of us something to aspire to, but rarely match.
He's also quite an amusing bugger----sorry, I mean blogger!"
January 22nd, 2006
Trois Têtes (TT) says:
"Roger's photography skills make me very jealous. This is true, if a little shameful."
August 2nd, 2005
*LINNY * says:
"roger b. was one of the first people on flickr to ever leave a comment on my work, so you could say he was my first....he has been an inspiration, a very helpful and nice person, love his work. linny"
July 13th, 2005
- Roger Butterfield
- November 2004
- Sheffield, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ecologist, Trainer & Photographer