I posted my first image on Flickr on 18th November 2004.
I am a semi-professional photographer based in the north of England. My main interests are nature and landscape photography.
I describe myself as a "semi-professional photographer" because:
♦ I always aim to produce photographs of a professional standard;
♦ I earn money from photography, but it's not my only source of income.
You can view a selection of my published images here.
I first started taking pictures when I was a kid. At the age of sixteen, I bought my first proper camera: a second-hand Russian Zenit 3M. I also learnt how to develop and print my photos in a friend's darkroom.
Three decades on, I switched to digital - and I haven't looked back since!
I have used various different cameras over the years. These days I mostly use an Olympus E-3, but I occasionally use my old E-500 for monochrome work.
ALL of the images that I publish on the web are copyrighted: © Roger Butterfield, all rights reserved.
Please do not download or use my pictures in publications, documents, presentations, websites, blogs, etc without first obtaining my express permission. If you do wish to use a picture, please contact me and I will respond as quickly as I can.
Please note that I do not normally permit commercial enterprises to use my images free-of-charge.
Comments, Invitations and Awards
I welcome constructive comments, but please do not use my photostream to promote your own Flickr group(s) or award schemes. Any comments containing icons or images (including animated gifs) will be deleted.
I have a large collection of family photographs, both old and new. For privacy, viewing is restricted to people on my "family contacts" list. If you would like to view the pictures, please contact me.
Photos of Roger B. (2)
- THE BRITISH PTERIDOLOGICAL SOCIETY The Fern Society 1,775 photos, 76 members
- Penistone, South Yorkshire 604 photos, 31 members
- Olympus E-M1 Photography 26,919 photos, 806 members
- Tour de France 2014 1,266 photos, 138 members
- Eastern Moors Partnership 1,589 photos, 43 members
- Yorkshire Water: Reservoirs 382 photos, 70 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 34,061 photos, 1,247 members
- Plantlife Bloomwatch: UK Wild flowers & other native flora 7,009 photos, 118 members
- Shield Bugs and other Miridae 7,961 photos, 495 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 109 photos, 471 members
- Scotland Outdoors Magazine 3,669 photos, 209 members
- Flora of Nottinghamshire 139 photos, 8 members
- Mid-Century Architecture (Non-Residential) 7,823 photos, 576 members
- headlines 1,368 photos, 36 members
- The Great War Archive Flickr Group 10,521 photos, 783 members
- Manfrotto Official 34,528 photos, 2,376 members
- Bees, bees, bees! 69,981 photos, 14,302 members
- Yorkshire Garden Wildlife 563 photos, 43 members
- A New Flora of the Sheffield Area 676 photos, 30 members
- Chester Zoo 17,053 photos, 988 members
- The Sorby Natural History Society, Sheffield 3,802 photos, 63 members
- Scottish Wildlife 36,908 photos, 1,222 members
- The Moss Valley, Sheffield/Derbyshire 245 photos, 22 members
- Moorland Restoration / Moors for the Future 94 photos, 15 members
- Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) 1,165 photos, 19 members
- Heather Moorland UK 1,518 photos, 100 members
- Sheffield 42,472 photos, 2,245 members
- RSPB Leighton Moss 7,539 photos, 361 members
- Countryfile 343,264 photos, 4,752 members
- Thorne and Hatfield Moors Conservation Forum 444 photos, 32 members
- RSPB Anglesey South Stack 729 photos, 97 members
- Farming Life 21,858 photos, 1,105 members
- Then and now: family stories 18 photos, 25 members
- Wildscreen Arkive - images of life on Earth 69,093 photos, 1,458 members
- European Birds and Wildlife 98,434 photos, 1,199 members
- Close Up and Macro Photography 15,403 photos, 319 members
- Seeds 10,352 photos, 1,750 members
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserves 2,441 photos, 111 members
- Adobe Lightroom 27,940 photos, 24,289 members
- Anglesey (Ynys Môn) 14,552 photos, 633 members
- Fruit & Veg 197,049 photos, 40,783 members
- Biodiversity and Biological Recording 561 photos, 29 members
- Orobanchaceae 6,173 photos, 260 members
- Parasitic Plants 825 photos, 124 members
- The Natural World of Cornwall 2,647 photos, 118 members
- The Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall, UK 3,022 photos, 238 members
- Iris Flowers 12,363 photos, 1,802 members
- St Just in Penwith Cornwall 1,044 photos, 79 members
- Carnivorous Plants 13,763 photos, 1,533 members
- Aquilegia - Akelei 1,033 photos, 155 members
"A delight to follow Roger's photostream as the wonderful photographs are always accompanied with information about the subject. As a fellow 'Sheffielder' too it's inspiring to know whats out there local to me. Great stream of photo's, especially for nature lovers."
December 17th, 2007
"A amazing eye for nature! - Always looking forward to your photographs"
September 23rd, 2007
"I discovered Roger's photographs here on Flickr not long after I joined early in 2005. Since then it's been an absolute pleasure to see the constant stream of high quality images - not least of which is one of my favourite sheep shots taken near Derwent Reservoir.
One of Flickr's best for sure. Thank you for continuing to share your images with us."
September 3rd, 2007
Son of Groucho says:
"Roger's pictures of plants, animals, and the natural world in general amply demonstrate that for him ecology is not just a profession, but a passion. The quality of his images is consistently high, giving the rest of us something to aspire to, but rarely match.
He's also quite an amusing bugger----sorry, I mean blogger!"
January 22nd, 2006
Trois Têtes (TT) says:
"Roger's photography skills make me very jealous. This is true, if a little shameful."
August 2nd, 2005
*LINNY * says:
"roger b. was one of the first people on flickr to ever leave a comment on my work, so you could say he was my first....he has been an inspiration, a very helpful and nice person, love his work. linny"
July 13th, 2005
- Roger Butterfield
- November 2004
- Sheffield, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ecologist, Trainer & Photographer