I posted my first image on Flickr on 18th November 2004.
I am a semi-professional photographer based in the north of England. My main interests are nature and landscape photography.
I describe myself as a "semi-professional photographer" because:
♦ I always aim to produce photographs of a professional standard;
♦ I earn money from photography, but it's not my only source of income.
You can view a selection of my published images here.
I first started taking pictures when I was a kid. At the age of sixteen, I bought my first proper camera: a second-hand Russian Zenit 3M. I also learnt how to develop and print my photos in a friend's darkroom.
Three decades on, I switched to digital - and I haven't looked back since!
I have used various different cameras over the years. These days I mostly use an Olympus E-3, but I occasionally use my old E-500 for monochrome work.
ALL of the images that I publish on the web are copyrighted: © Roger Butterfield, all rights reserved.
Please do not download or use my pictures in publications, documents, presentations, websites, blogs, etc without first obtaining my express permission. If you do wish to use a picture, please contact me and I will respond as quickly as I can.
Please note that I do not normally permit commercial enterprises to use my images free-of-charge.
Comments, Invitations and Awards
I welcome constructive comments, but please do not use my photostream to promote your own Flickr group(s) or award schemes. Any comments containing icons or images (including animated gifs) will be deleted.
I have a large collection of family photographs, both old and new. For privacy, viewing is restricted to people on my "family contacts" list. If you would like to view the pictures, please contact me.
Photos of Roger B. (2)
- Yorkshire Wildlife 3,318 photos, 70 members
- THE BRITISH PTERIDOLOGICAL SOCIETY The Fern Society 1,866 photos, 79 members
- Penistone, South Yorkshire 664 photos, 32 members
- Olympus E-M1 Photography 33,022 photos, 921 members
- Tour de France 2014 1,133 photos, 144 members
- Eastern Moors Partnership 1,699 photos, 46 members
- Yorkshire Water: Reservoirs 436 photos, 73 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 39,260 photos, 1,403 members
- Plantlife Bloomwatch: UK Wild flowers & other native flora 7,792 photos, 125 members
- Shield Bugs and other Miridae 8,359 photos, 507 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 109 photos, 470 members
- Scotland Outdoors Magazine 3,664 photos, 209 members
- Flora of Nottinghamshire 183 photos, 9 members
- Mid-Century Architecture (Non-Residential) 8,049 photos, 588 members
- headlines 1,391 photos, 38 members
- The Great War Archive Flickr Group 10,880 photos, 806 members
- Manfrotto Official 38,286 photos, 2,422 members
- Bees, bees, bees! 72,909 photos, 14,663 members
- Yorkshire Garden Wildlife 657 photos, 46 members
- A New Flora of the Sheffield Area 731 photos, 34 members
- Chester Zoo 17,521 photos, 1,013 members
- The Sorby Natural History Society, Sheffield 4,243 photos, 65 members
- Scottish Wildlife 38,994 photos, 1,252 members
- The Moss Valley, Sheffield/Derbyshire 270 photos, 24 members
- Moorland Restoration / Moors for the Future 95 photos, 15 members
- Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) 1,202 photos, 19 members
- Heather Moorland UK 1,647 photos, 102 members
- Sheffield 42,650 photos, 2,262 members
- RSPB Leighton Moss 7,921 photos, 383 members
- Countryfile 373,064 photos, 5,024 members
- Thorne and Hatfield Moors Conservation Forum 475 photos, 35 members
- RSPB Anglesey South Stack 865 photos, 106 members
- Farming Life 22,920 photos, 1,127 members
- Then and now: family stories 18 photos, 25 members
- Wildscreen Arkive - images of life on Earth 74,316 photos, 1,479 members
- European Birds and Wildlife 104,218 photos, 1,262 members
- Close Up and Macro Photography 16,642 photos, 328 members
- Seeds 10,525 photos, 1,757 members
- Yorkshire Wildlife Trust reserves 2,732 photos, 120 members
- Adobe Lightroom 29,065 photos, 24,705 members
- Anglesey (Ynys Môn) 14,988 photos, 652 members
- Fruit & Veg 201,422 photos, 42,163 members
- Biodiversity and Biological Recording 591 photos, 29 members
- Orobanchaceae 6,307 photos, 266 members
- Parasitic Plants 854 photos, 125 members
- The Natural World of Cornwall 2,750 photos, 125 members
- The Lizard Peninsula, Cornwall, UK 3,102 photos, 246 members
- Iris Flowers 12,845 photos, 1,833 members
- St Just in Penwith Cornwall 1,055 photos, 82 members
- Carnivorous Plants 14,077 photos, 1,555 members
"A delight to follow Roger's photostream as the wonderful photographs are always accompanied with information about the subject. As a fellow 'Sheffielder' too it's inspiring to know whats out there local to me. Great stream of photo's, especially for nature lovers."
December 17th, 2007
"A amazing eye for nature! - Always looking forward to your photographs"
September 23rd, 2007
"I discovered Roger's photographs here on Flickr not long after I joined early in 2005. Since then it's been an absolute pleasure to see the constant stream of high quality images - not least of which is one of my favourite sheep shots taken near Derwent Reservoir.
One of Flickr's best for sure. Thank you for continuing to share your images with us."
September 3rd, 2007
Son of Groucho says:
"Roger's pictures of plants, animals, and the natural world in general amply demonstrate that for him ecology is not just a profession, but a passion. The quality of his images is consistently high, giving the rest of us something to aspire to, but rarely match.
He's also quite an amusing bugger----sorry, I mean blogger!"
January 22nd, 2006
Trois Têtes (TT) says:
"Roger's photography skills make me very jealous. This is true, if a little shameful."
August 2nd, 2005
*LINNY * says:
"roger b. was one of the first people on flickr to ever leave a comment on my work, so you could say he was my first....he has been an inspiration, a very helpful and nice person, love his work. linny"
July 13th, 2005
- Roger Butterfield
- November 2004
- Sheffield, UK
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Ecologist, Trainer & Photographer