I'm a home hobbyist with a passion for photography.
Back in another lifetime when I was a young teenager my parents ignited my love of photography when they bought me my first Single Lens Reflex camera - an Olympus OM-10. I shot mainly black and white which I developed and printed in a makeshift darkroom my dad built for us in our garage.
My last SLR was a Canon EOS-50e (film) which I last used somewhere around 1990.
In the early nineties I started early on with the digital revolution with my first real digital camera being a Nikon Coolpix 900 (which I absolutely loved – split bodied and a mighty 1.3 megapixels).
Since then I’d had a procession of pocket digitals including the Nikon Coolpix 995, Canon S2-IS and Panasonic Lumix TZ-15.
The Coolpix 995 (with interchangable lense additions – I have the 8mm fisheye, 24mm wide angle and 2x telephoto lenses) really introduced me to stiching panoramas in the early 2000’s.
My more recent compacts introduced me to the joys of an UltraZoom with 10x or more optical zoom lenses that went from reasonably wide to telephoto.
In the last few years however I’d been getting more and more disappointed with the quality of my images (clarity, sharpness) and the very limiting scope for creativity and the real struggle to limit depth of field (common to all small sensor digitals).
My heart was crying out for my early creative photographic roots and it was with great joy that I took the plunge and invested in my first Digital SLR at the end of 2009 - a Nikon D90 with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II lens.
I realised up front that I was making some optical sacrifices in choosing the all in one travel lens – however my initial plan was to simply stick with the one lens and never change lenses.
Whilst I’ve been absolutely astounded by the quality of the shots I’ve been able to get and can wholeheartedly recommend this setup - the Gear Acquisition Syndrome has hit and I've now added a number of elements to my arsenal including:
* Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro (to try my hand at some macro work and for better portrait work)
* Nikon AF 50mm f1.8D (fast and cheap)
* Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM (ultra wide angle lens)
* Nikon SB-600 Flash (because Joe McNally told me to :) )
* Manfrotto 190 PRO B Tripod (I already owned this - but with the 460MG Three Way Head)
* Manfrotto 488RC4 Midi Ball Head
I predominantly take portraits of children (three of them my own) and the activities they are engaged in in every day life. However what you see here on Flickr is predominantly my other shots which I manage to squeeze inbetween.
I'm still learning every day and am thoroughly enjoying the journey.
Photos of Rodney Campbell (1)
- Equirectangular 24,034 photos, 3,824 members
- Northern Beaches, Sydney 16,063 photos, 822 members
- Sydney Kelby Worldwide Photo Walk 2014 68 photos, 13 members
- I Love Black and White! 2,284,302 photos, 71,893 members
- Create Your Own Planets 22,659 photos, 5,664 members
- Night Images 1,177,183 photos, 165,625 members
- Cityscape and urban scenery 254,609 photos, 7,314 members
- Landscapes Of Australia "SHORESCAPES" (Coastal) 7,146 photos, 591 members
- Fine Art Classic Black and White Landscape 284 photos, 2,138 members
- Fine art minimalism 1,599 photos, 1,888 members
- Fine Art Photography (in the footsteps of the masters) 98,002 photos, 3,043 members
- Fine Art Photography™ 278,335 photos, 10,277 members
- NIKON 24-70 2.8 60,314 photos, 2,141 members
- Nikon 24-70 mm Nikkor lens - photos and opinions 159,856 photos, 7,720 members
- Project Weather 611,806 photos, 92,462 members
- FlickrCentral 9,323,098 photos, 291,145 members
- Sunrise & Sunset 164,914 photos, 8,959 members
- Landscapes Of Australia "SEASCAPES" 13,222 photos, 705 members
- Macro 934,334 photos, 45,828 members
- Macro Photography 774,805 photos, 60,432 members
- Macros Group 840,749 photos, 35,564 members
- Light Painting with Nature 4,270 photos, 605 members
- Flickr Foto Fame (Gallery of Outstanding Photos) 3,285 photos, 1,843 members
- Our Little Planets 6,096 photos, 1,127 members
- Light Paint 59,824 photos, 6,130 members
- Landscape Light Painting 6,837 photos, 844 members
- "SEASCAPE" 269,610 photos, 8,911 members
- Australian Sunrise and Sunset 74,483 photos, 3,529 members
- My Australia 270,517 photos, 4,069 members
- Photography Downunder 92,291 photos, 960 members
- Sunsets & Sunrises around the world (121 Countries!) 1,202,067 photos, 130,227 members
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G 41,518 photos, 6,601 members
- sigma 50-500mm f4.5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM 17,412 photos, 536 members
- Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art 87,818 photos, 8,248 members
- Sigma 85mm F/1.4 EX DG HSM 20,340 photos, 3,053 members
- Sigma Lenses 405,856 photos, 11,070 members
- Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG Fisheye 9,877 photos, 1,297 members
- Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4.0G ED VR 43,251 photos, 3,704 members
- D600 97,530 photos, 1,654 members
- Nikon D600/D610 CLUB 513,262 photos, 15,259 members
- Nikon D600/D610 173,986 photos, 3,572 members
- The D-Photo 217,599 photos, 3,629 members
- Seascape/Landscape Junkies Worldwide 99,489 photos, 2,831 members
- ShutterStreet 6,988 photos, 390 members
- Best of Star Trails 405 photos, 887 members
- Australian Photoholics - ( www.ausph.com ) 46,269 photos, 434 members
- flickr (unofficial) 6,824,006 photos, 120,889 members
- FOCUS - (Australia - Seascape & Landscape Photography) 67,587 photos, 1,822 members
- Stuck On Earth Community 132,019 photos, 6,472 members
- TWiT Photo 13,258 photos, 1,074 members
Rodney Campbell doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Rodney Campbell
- February 2010
- Sydney, Australia
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Rodney Campbell