Website- Equine Photographer Sarah K. Andrew: www.rockandracehorses.com
Welcome! I inherited my love of music from my father and my horse-craziness from my mother and my grandmother. I grew up in New Jersey and have been riding, photographing, and studying horses since childhood. I competed in show jumping and dressage with my beloved first horse Alibhai's Alibar for almost two decades. I currently ride my Thoroughbred, Wizard (Jockey Club name Doctor's Secret), in a variety of low-level disciplines, from dressage to hunter paces.
As a volunteer, I've documented over 5,000 horses in need at rescues, auctions, and emergency horse aid efforts. My Horses and Hope Calendar Project raised over $100,000 for equine charities in the first three years, and is an enormous social media success.
My work reflects my deep understanding of the equine spirit as well as an appreciation for the timeless bond between horse and rider. Browse my photostream and you'll see my distinct, creative style in everything from exhilarating sport photography to tender candid moments.
Since 2003, I've honed my skills as a horse racing photographer and have been mentored by some of the top shooters in the sport. My award-winning photography is displayed in galleries and has been published internationally in dozens of books, magazines, and newspapers.
When not riding or shooting at farms and the racetrack, you can find me in the front row photographing local and national musical performers, including my husband Jonathan's latest band.
Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or inquiries. I'd love to hear from you.
Please, no SIM or virtual stable requests.
My work has been featured:
- In The Ultimate Horse Lover and The Ultimate Cat Lover, the newest collection from the publisher and authors who brought you the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. I'm the lead photographer and contributing writer for The Ultimate Horse Lover and a contributing photographer for The Ultimate Cat Lover.
Click Here to order The Ultimate Horse Lover
Click Here to order The Ultimate Cat Lover
- In the New York Times
- On Breyer model horse boxes
- In USA Today
- On the cover of AQHA Journal
- On the cover of Monmouth Park's racing programs
- In advertisements for Prudential Financial
- On the cover of Mid-Atlantic Thoroughbred
- In the 2008 Belmont Stakes program
- On display at the Center for Fine Art Photography in Fort Collins, CO in the All Things Horses Exhibition
- In Reins Magazine
- On www.TheHorse.com
- On the cover of the Daily Racing Form
- In The Florida Horse
- In the Thoroughbred Daily News
- On the cover of American Turf Monthly
- Best in Show winner of the 2008 Equine Ideal Contest
- Winner of the 2007 Final Turn Photo Contest
- In the 2008 Final Turn Horse Racing Calendar
- In Impulsion: Magazine of the British Equestrian Federation: www.impulsiononline.com
- In Equine Wellness Magazine
- On the album art and websites of local bands including: Echofission, Particle Zoo, Hey Tiger, Jigmakers, and Souls' Release.
- In the Equine Photographers' 2007 Equine Ideal Photography Contest
- In The Chronicle of the Horse
- In Hunter and Sport Horse
- In Upstage Magazine
- In Fran Jurga's Hoofblog: hoofcare.blogspot.com
- In videos distributed by Atlantic Pictures
- Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation's website and ads: www.trfinc.org
- Kaiser Chiefs 1,130 photos, 179 members
- Best of Equine Photography 2,350 photos, 235 members
- NTRA 6,670 photos, 119 members
- lightning bug 313 photos, 83 members
- Andalusian, Lusitano, Lippizaner, Fresian HORSES 648 photos, 154 members
- Zenyatta 286 photos, 37 members
- rotoballe 10,587 photos, 3,248 members
- Our Own Heroes( Animals Only) 48 photos, 19 members
- Equestrian Photographer 4,262 photos, 211 members
- Top 10 Horse 1,137 photos, 75 members
- Monmouth Park Racetrack Photography 362 photos, 35 members
- Horses at sunset 88 photos, 39 members
- Addicted to Animals* Post 1 Award 2* NO PEOPLE! 15,717 photos, 1,161 members
- _Siluet_ 795 photos, 339 members
- Four Legged Photography 33 photos, 11 members
- 20+ to 29 Favorites: Cats (COMMENTING REQUIRED) 1,442 photos, 788 members
- Del Mar Racetrack 577 photos, 44 members
- Dog's Life Magazine 17,973 photos, 912 members
- Little Lambs 2,797 photos, 609 members
- Hollywood Park Racetrack 854 photos, 37 members
- trot and gallop 19,553 photos, 578 members
- The Rembermence of Horses 20 photos, 5 members
- Hand Selected Photographs 86,654 photos, 2,358 members
- Santa Anita Park 3,965 photos, 65 members
- Art Of Horses... P1 1award 1,073 photos, 33 members
- A Little Beauty - with invitation Only (post 1 comment 2) 23,073 photos, 3,399 members
- Puggles Anyone? 625 photos, 77 members
- Bugs (boston terrier - pug cross dogs) 894 photos, 132 members
- NYC Puggles 8 photos, 9 members
- Pug Life 12,824 photos, 1,539 members
- Puggles 2,651 photos, 388 members
- Puggle Parents Online 62 photos, 20 members
- Puggle Pictures! 441 photos, 72 members
- Now THAT'S a Mug Shot! (ANIMALS) 5,230 photos, 732 members
- Horse With Cool Markings 10 photos, 8 members
- Paint Horses 16 photos, 4 members
- Loving Longears Mules, Burros and Donkeys 823 photos, 251 members
- Crowd Shots (At Concerts) 6,960 photos, 921 members
- The Thermals 590 photos, 80 members
- Your Best Horse Picture 88 photos, 84 members
- Alex Brown Racing 1,933 photos, 52 members
- Dogs - Exceptional Photos 2,100 photos, 1,299 members
- Precious Pet 100+ Views (invited photos only - comment on 1) 8,151 photos, 1,260 members
- Animals, You Say? (post one/comment one) 1,892 photos, 313 members
- A Horse and Dog Lovers world! 2,656 photos, 81 members
- Monmouth Park Racetrack 666 photos, 35 members
- Raceday 360 7,242 photos, 91 members
- Dragon Dagger Awards*moderated* ◇VOTING 178◇GALLERY#179 OPEN 62,786 photos, 7,835 members
- Awsome! 31 photos, 36 members
- Warmblood Pictures 60 photos, 19 members
"Like everyone else who has posted a testimonial for Sarah, I too am taken with her equine photography. She understands her subject matter to such depth that even the simplest head shot she takes has so much personality you feel like you know the horse. And when the horse starts moving, there is nobody better than Sarah at capturing the action. Here racetrack photography makes me feel closer to the sport than I ever could other wise. And she balances the competition shots with the touching backside track moments. She takes time to watch the exercise riders and the grooms at work. Through her photos, she demonstrates the quality of work they do to make the sport happen. I appreciate her willingness to get up so early in the morning to capture those beautiful misty morning times when the horses and riders seem magical. Sarah’s photos, her amazing backgrounds and setting; her understanding movement; and her ability to capture the subjects’ character, makes me more aware of what a great photographer can do with a camera."
September 9th, 2008
"Sarah was one of the people that have inspired me to take up Equine Photography and further my skills in general, From seeing her beautiful uploads that obviously show her skills. I have always admired her work and would love to follow in her footsteps. Just a small Thank you for being such an inspiring woman :]!"
July 30th, 2008
"Sarah is without a doubt one of the best photographers of horses I've ever encountered. Her stunning and beautiful photos catch my heart and soul. Even if you are not a fan of horse racing or equine beauty, her photos will thrill you."
July 11th, 2008
EASY GOER says:
"Having shot with the best photographers in the horse game, I can honestly say that Sarah is one the best pure equine photographers I have seen. Her work speaks for itself and anyone interested in this hobby/profession should study her photos to see how to capture thoroughbreds in all their beauty.---Jason Moran aka Easy Goer"
May 20th, 2008
"She was the one who inspired me too start attempting photography. what with her skills, anyone would love to give it a shot... =]
Her photography is amazing...wonderful....marvellous and what ever other good word that can be used... =]
When I take a pic, I always think of her shots, dream that one of mine would turn out like hers..... but it never happens.....
I would say, in a short time, she will be a VERY successful and famous photographer..^^
Shes a very talented and lucky lady =]
Im very jealous........ hehe
February 18th, 2008
"As an up and coming equine photographer, Sarah Andrews is my role model.
I am a very critical as a photographer and rarely look at anyone's work (especially a pro's) without finding something "wrong" with it. However, I idolize Sarah's work...I have yet to find ANYTHING to gripe about in ANY of her photos!"
February 13th, 2008
"Sarah has been an inspiration for me in my own pitiful endeavors at equine photography. I have had the great pleasure of her photographing my equines, and have been simply thrilled with the results."
February 12th, 2008
"I am completely, totally, and absolutely thrilled with the horse and dog portraits Sarah did for me. I've followed her work for several years now and am always impressed. She has an incredible (and patient) eye for that perfect shot!"
February 12th, 2008
"What an eye for equine photography! To capture the action, use available lighting, all with an animal moving very quickly AND make that image a work of art is difficult, and she gets it done!"
January 11th, 2008
Rafal Bergman says:
"Unparalleled horse photographer with a great eye for animal photography, but also (a rare combination) huge sensitivity for excellent people portraits."
January 10th, 2008
Obedient Muse says:
"Rock and Racehorses has been inspirational to my equine art! I check back with her work periodically and am NEVER disappointed. I also notice we comment or appreciate some of the same images, this I secretly (not so now) have patted myself on the back for."
January 4th, 2008
"Sarah blows me away with her captures. To be able to live the life she does riding some of the most beautiful horses in the world. Her other shots are great also. I always wonder what's coming next. She doesn't stay on one topic of shooting that long even with her huge love of the animals."
October 22nd, 2007
"Not being at all familiar with thoroughbreds and actually having been a bit suspicious of the sport, these pictures really reveal the beauty of thoroughbred racing. I wish one day I could do the same for the trotting sport and standardbreds :)"
September 24th, 2007
"Sarah's breathtaking photos take me to a place I've never been to, that exciting world of thoroughbreds and racetracks. When I feel my pulse quicken looking at her beautiful images, that is the sign of an accomplished photographer."
September 19th, 2007
Agape FCR says:
"What an amazing eye!! Sarah's love of anything equine radiates through her photographs. I feel such joy viewing her images and I love logging in to flickr to see her newest creations!!"
September 3rd, 2007
"I am usually amazed and astounded at the intimate little moments caught and the clever stories that get told in her photos..."
August 30th, 2007
Caitlin Shann says:
"I want to Favorite every one of Sarah's pics. I've been riding horses since I was a child, and she consistently shows me beauty I haven't seen before. A true talent."
July 19th, 2007
"One of the best equine photographers I have ever seen in this business!"
July 10th, 2007
"Some of the best horse photos I have ever seen, and now the main source of inspiration for my drawings.
Her work is simply excellent, and amazing in all regards."
May 27th, 2007
"I never miss anything she posts. Sarah is an extremely talented photographer with a keen understanding and eye for her subjects."
May 22nd, 2007
"Some of the best photos of horses I have seen. Nice work!"
December 21st, 2006
"An extremely talented photographer! Horse fan or not, these photos are a MUST SEE!"
November 26th, 2006
"Sarah is awesome. I've loved watching her work progress over the past couple of years. I don't think I'll ever forget Iselin Day '04 in the pouring rain!"
September 18th, 2006
"Don't miss this , it is a must-see for any racing fan. ,those who probably don't know or care anything about horse racing, maybe then they will understand your obsession.
January 1st, 2006
- Sarah K. Andrew
- April 2005
- Howell, NJ
- Red Bank, NJ, USA
- I Love My Job