If you have met someone on the internet claiming that they are me, they're lying. I've heard from several people that someone is using my photos/name, so don't believe em.
I got my first camera (a Nikon D70) in August of 2004 and ever since then I've been bitten bad by the photo bug. Tens of thousands of photos later and I still feel like I'm learning more every day. The technical aspects come easiest to me, the seeing part is hard.
In early 2006, for about four months I shot exclusively with a 35mm F2 lens to try and force myself to see photographically rather than play with fancy gear and lenses, then I tried to uncover the secrets of the very wide and very telephoto. For example, the 'Kyoto' set is all shot with a 12-24 and a 70-200. Since discovering strobist.blogspot.com I'm learning not to h8 the flash... it's a process. After reading a bunch and seeing Ryan's (carpe icthus) great results, I'm now using the 85mm 1.4 nikkor most of the time. I like its intimacy. I also enjoy renting a wide variety of lenses - check out my tags as I tag every photo I take with the lens used.
If you looked in my (Domke F-3X) gear bag today, it would contain: Nikon D200, 85mm/1.4, 20mm/2.8, SB-600 Flash, Gray Card, Lens Cloth, 2x 4GB Compact Flash, 2x Nikkon Battery, tabletop tripod legs, mini RRS ball head with flash holding insert, velcro'd flash bounce card.
My goals are first to learn how to use my camera effortlessly so that I can focus on seeing and capturing the image. Second, I want to capture wonderful pictures of my friends without being annoying (no posing, inobtrusive, fun). Third, I want to learn to see beauty in the world around me in my attempt to capture the marvelous.
The best writings I've found on the web that I recommend to my friends and family are at www.prime-junta.net/ under essays. The lessons section is also quite good. My favorite photoshop author is Scott Kelby. My new favorite web resource is the Strobist's flash blog on how to shoot cool off-camera flash: Strobist
In May '06 I had the pleasure of helping a professional shoot a wedding. It was a great experience and has inspired me to seek out more opportunities to assist professionals and learn more in that way. In June '06 I got to shoot a friend's sister's wedding as first photographer. Really fun.
Since then I've been doing a combination of assisting with professional shoots and doing shoots for fun, for free, and for friends. I have an order in for a Nikon D3, so quite excited about photographing my new son in natural light with it.
Please take some time and leave comments - all feedback is welcomed.
Here is a self-portrait:
"Hopefully, you're risking failure every time you make a frame."
Photos of Rob Gruhl (3)
- Nikon D700 346,728 photos, 16,086 members
- Women with Maple Bars 8 photos, 3 members
- People in Seoul 7,630 photos, 811 members
- Nikon 24-70 mm Nikkor lens - photos and opinions 159,081 photos, 7,698 members
- Ray Flash Ring Flash Adapter Photos 1,145 photos, 344 members
- Favorites: 300 17,489 photos, 1,812 members
- Keston 0 photos, 1 member
- Favorites: 250 10,813 photos, 2,058 members
- Favorites: 100 65,293 photos, 7,198 members
- Seattle Strobist 6,070 photos, 1,030 members
- Flashjack! 79 photos, 43 members
- McLeod Residence 34,439 photos, 99 members
- Spontaneous Opera Syndrome (Comment any 1) 8,336 photos, 3,111 members
- Penny Arcade Expo on Flickr 8,936 photos, 195 members
- Nikon CLS (Creative Lighting System) 24,947 photos, 7,689 members
- Nikon D3 D3s D3x 95,552 photos, 5,857 members
- D300 5,757 photos, 127 members
- The Magic Hour: Long Light (NOT sunset) 40,459 photos, 3,796 members
- Beautifully Pregnant 11,628 photos, 4,381 members
- Favorites: 80 21,707 photos, 4,763 members
- Favorites: 70 28,500 photos, 5,199 members
- Seattle to Poland 2007 140 photos, 6 members
- Forza Motorsport 2 (Xbox 360) 950 photos, 185 members
- Forza Motorsport 2 Photoshoot 457 photos, 45 members
- Demb Flip-It! 997 photos, 579 members
- Adobe Lightroom 59,603 photos, 26,700 members
- Asians of the World 86,422 photos, 2,193 members
- Orcas NYE 2007 122 photos, 15 members
- Canon EF & EF-S: Official Tag Required 122,192 photos, 4,643 members
- my first fave, an ALTRUIST group. ONLY PICS WITH FIRST FAVE ICON 304 photos, 2,240 members
- Brittanies/Brittany Spaniels 5,375 photos, 414 members
- Favorites: 50 59,951 photos, 8,326 members
- Favorites: 60 38,262 photos, 5,752 members
- Portraits... Get Closer! 690,461 photos, 34,275 members
- Favorites: 45 21,837 photos, 4,541 members
- Favorites: 40 41,634 photos, 7,501 members
- Nikkor 85mm 1.4 26,524 photos, 2,222 members
- live music in seattle 21,663 photos, 937 members
- The Face (invited images only) 8,946 photos, 4,576 members
- Favorites: 35 35,384 photos, 5,610 members
- Space Needle 13,427 photos, 2,373 members
- Night Images 1,182,623 photos, 165,710 members
- Fav/View >= 5% (please mind the rules) 59,194 photos, 3,682 members
- Flickr Wow (2 posts per day please) 114,662 photos, 4,248 members
- Fast Nikkors ( <= f/2.8 ) wide open 12,280 photos, 423 members
- Favorites: 30 60,933 photos, 9,051 members
- Six to Redemption 35 photos, 41 members
- Utata 460,761 photos, 28,486 members
- Sushi 6,142 photos, 1,214 members
- Sushi - Sushi and Sashimi! ™ 20,224 photos, 3,798 members
"The enthusiasm with which Rob approaches photography (and many things in his life) is inspiring. When Rob is excited about something he wants to learn everything he can about it and share it with everyone to get them excited too. I have loved watching his photographic journey as he learns more and more about this 'hobby' (and buys more and more lenses...tee hee). Rob is a true friend who will always be there to lend a hand and share a cup of coffee (brewed himself) or glass or wine with. I'm lucky to have him as a friend. Rob is going to be a great dad; I can't wait to see him in action.
oooo...he's also a damn fine DM."
August 31st, 2007
Corinne S. says:
"Rob kicks ass in life and in photography. I feel lucky to know him in "real life.""
February 28th, 2007
- Rob Gruhl
- October 2005
- Seattle, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Game Industry Professional