In Memory of Karen Lundquist, Gary Minniss and Tom Gegan
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
A bit about myself...
I've enjoyed the hobby of photography since I was a kid. I like photographing old neon signs, cars, motels, gas stations, roadside attractions and suburban life. I'm very old fashioned. I should have been born in 1936.
I collect and sell stuff like this...
I also collect old radios...
I'm very interested in Las Vegas history and am a co author of a book about Las Vegas postcards...
*If you have offensive material in your photo stream, and make me a contact, I may block you. My photo stream is family friendly as are most of my contacts photo streams.
*If you have tons of favorites and have posted no pictures and no icon, I'll block you.
*If you use one of my pictures for a blog, a link back to my photo stream is appreciated.
*If you'd like permission to use one of my images in a book or otherwise, just send me a Flickrmail.
visited 17 states (34%)Create your own visited map of The United States or Free iphone travel guide
- DODGE RAM FRIENDS 2,111 photos, 500 members
- Transistor Radios 1,888 photos, 32 members
- Frito-Lay Munch Club 20 photos, 10 members
- Vintage Illustration 71,756 photos, 6,483 members
- Real-Life Blue Hour 536 photos, 95 members
- US Route 93 149 photos, 49 members
- Remember the Radioshack! 430 photos, 63 members
- Slipcovertecture 394 photos, 61 members
- Bottle Bank 1,674 photos, 164 members
- Vintage Animals 4,926 photos, 428 members
- My Favorite Car and Truck Pics 20,067 photos, 146 members
- Nothing But 'Yum' 3,261 photos, 91 members
- Moss Lamp Addicts 14 photos, 19 members
- Four-Door Hardtop 3,352 photos, 131 members
- Cars of the 1940's 17,679 photos, 323 members
- Sign Geeks 3,156 photos, 32 members
- Dutch Bros. Coffee 25 photos, 26 members
- Something Blue (Only Blue) 451,270 photos, 56,369 members
- My favorite Chinese restaurant 72 photos, 23 members
- Black&White Architectural Photography 21,718 photos, 1,211 members
- *Easter Retro* 1,657 photos, 235 members
- concertickets 2,665 photos, 180 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 108,261 photos, 753 members
- BARNS UNLIMITED 4,601 photos, 234 members
- Rephotography: Nevada 104 photos, 37 members
- CHURCHES & HOUSES OF WORSHIP 235,284 photos, 12,956 members
- New Police Cars In The Northwest 10,713 photos, 134 members
- Recollection Wisconsin 168 photos, 25 members
- 12-12-2012 377 photos, 333 members
- Carmageddon 25,563 photos, 1,280 members
- Four-on-a-Couch 1,378 photos, 250 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,671 photos, 6,120 members
- Carnegie Libraries 2,918 photos, 216 members
- Vintage Mini Golf 625 photos, 107 members
- Duck Pop 657 photos, 50 members
- 1959-1960 Buicks/ Electra/Invicta/LeSabre 1,264 photos, 101 members
- 1970's Pop Culture 4,598 photos, 396 members
- Police Vehicles from North America 2,175 photos, 163 members
- Idaho Law Enforcement 520 photos, 36 members
- Cadillac Hotrods 1,716 photos, 162 members
- The Teens Turn 100 1,066 photos, 150 members
- US Route 66 (The Mother Road) 26,040 photos, 1,500 members
- Retail Stores - GONE! 4,227 photos, 137 members
- Classic Pickup Trucks & Vans 24,915 photos, 893 members
- Northern Pacific Railway 580 photos, 98 members
- Vintage Advertising & Antiques 19,653 photos, 496 members
- Steam Trains 212,120 photos, 4,245 members
- Small Town America 65,077 photos, 1,357 members
- Root Beer is Delicious 327 photos, 157 members
- Las Vegas Photo Collection - Share your Vegas Images 20,300 photos, 1,100 members
"Allen does a wonderful job at finding vintage packaging and taking pictures of abandoned Las Vegas buildings that were been forgotten over the years. To me, Allen is really one of the greatest people ever on Flickr."
October 2nd, 2009
"Allen to me is family. He's part of the family of friends I have met and cherish here on Flickr who are into old signs, history of our own (and other) towns, mid-century, googie, and times gone by. Allen also has a collection of old product packaging that at first look seems strange, but then you realize the genius of it... he's preserving history with that too. You think a photo of some old location is something, wait until he posts a photo of some old product package that you can remember around your house when you were little, and -whoosh-, you're right back in time. You'll find yourself waiting to see what he'll have next in his photostream. I know I do. I'm darned glad for the chance to know him here on Flickr, as well as personally."
August 24th, 2009
Olden Bald says:
"I had to write this to express my gratitude to these few photographers who have inspired me so much. These words may seem overblown, I don't know, when one has had the scales removed from their eyes, is there such a thing as too much gratitude?
I call them the "Usual Suspects" since some sort of old movie reference seems in line with the Gestalt of what these few have produced. What they do, what they have done that is important to today and to history. Simple recorders of events and things perhaps, but then so were those who left us the mystery of the petroglyphs. But in these fews efforts something of us and our past are preserved. That's important.
So to Roadsidepictures, who got the ball rolling, Allen, Thanks for making me see with new eyes. To Vintage Roadside, Jeff, you helped me to see and understand why its important. To loungelistner, Gary, thanks, you helped me do it with a new sense of joy. And to SKY✡VU, Jim, you are just an inspiration by simply being. Amazing what this one man has accomplished.
These few, these four led to others who have their own lessons to teach to those who will listen, to those who will "see": Thanks to HappyShooter, Fotoedge, Army.Arch, Julia, Alan of Marion, Dave van Hulsteyn, Dennis Dixon, Joey Harrison. Appreciating this thing called urban or Roadside America is just a big jigsaw puzzle. But I'm having way more fun putting it together."
December 1st, 2008
"He has an eye for all things to be photographed. It's easy to get lost looking through all the incredible images brought though RSP's photostream. It's easy to get lost in time and can't find your way out.
A true artist!"
December 3rd, 2008
Twang Your Head says:
"Allen's interests span far and wide. He's a great collector, and values the past. That's good in my book. If you love old stuff, Roadside delivers. I'm always drooling at his finds of classic packages.
Checking his photostream over a period of weeks and months, one is continually surprised by what he's into at the moment. I start wondering, "Where does he find the time?" But he finds the time, and he shows us how to value what he does.
And, his icon is for a women's deodorant.
Can't be that now, can ya?"
August 21st, 2008
"Allen is a true flickr friend. Ask him to photograph something new and he would reply "Why when there are so many old things to preserve in photo?." He is a true photo historian with a passion for chronicling change. His appreciation for others posts are always evident in his encouraging and kind remarks.
Keep doing what you are doing Allen, we all are watching and waiting for your posts to come!!"
August 20th, 2008
galessa's plastics says:
"I only wish all young people had the same respect and loving care for things of the past like this guy! Was this not enough, he is a A++++++ photographer and seems to be, by the pictures of himself, a very nice chap! I want to meet him in Nevada and let him show me around!"
January 16th, 2008
"allen is doing with las vegas what atget did with paris... photographically collecting, compiling, and cataloguing from the inside-out... unfortunately, i don't think the breadth and scope of his project will be fully appreciated until many, many years have passed."
February 13th, 2007
Richmond 9 says:
"Always worth checking in! Roadsidepictures has a great eye for urban archaelogy, ephemera and other fun kitsch!"
October 22nd, 2006
Paula Wirth says:
"So when is this guy gonna write a book already?? He already has the most amazing photographic collection of road signs, classy lettering/typography and vintage packaging you will ever find. I'm waiting!!!!!!"
August 8th, 2006
"One of my newest contacts on flickr, and one of my favorites. I never get bored of your photos! Postcards, architecture, ads... It's all very wonderful. Thank you for sharing some awesome history!"
August 4th, 2006
"Part archivist, part historian and part urban archeologist. An entertaining flickr contact."
July 25th, 2006
Annene von Durchgerockt says:
"Artisitic, skilled, smart.
A future hero, mapping his preferred area of the past for those who care and those who will care.
Plus a swell member of the Flickrati and a loyal contact."
July 14th, 2006
- September 2005
- Kansas City, Missouri/Henderson, Nevada
- I am:
- Male and Single
- School District-Maintenance Supervisor/Freelance Photographer