In Memory of Karen Lundquist, Gary Minniss and Tom Gegan
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
A bit about myself...
I've enjoyed the hobby of photography since I was a kid. I like photographing old neon signs, cars, motels, gas stations, roadside attractions and suburban life. I'm very old fashioned. I should have been born in 1936.
I collect and sell stuff like this...
I also collect old radios...
I'm very interested in Las Vegas history and am a co author of a book about Las Vegas postcards...
*If you have offensive material in your photo stream, and make me a contact, I may block you. My photo stream is family friendly as are most of my contacts photo streams.
*If you have tons of favorites and have posted no pictures and no icon, I'll block you.
*If you use one of my pictures for a blog, a link back to my photo stream is appreciated.
*If you'd like permission to use one of my images in a book or otherwise, just send me a Flickrmail.
visited 17 states (34%)Create your own visited map of The United States or Free iphone travel guide
- Dodge Challenger Law Enforcement Cars 77 photos, 41 members
- Slipcovertecture 338 photos, 57 members
- Bottle Bank 505 photos, 87 members
- Vintage Animals 3,802 photos, 331 members
- My Favorite Car and Truck Pics 4,043 photos, 74 members
- Nothing But 'Yum' 1,521 photos, 69 members
- Moss Lamp Addicts 14 photos, 18 members
- Four-Door Hardtop 2,358 photos, 98 members
- Cars of the 1940's 6,593 photos, 196 members
- Sign Geeks 1,369 photos, 29 members
- Dutch Bros. Coffee 19 photos, 19 members
- Something Blue (Only Blue) 367,894 photos, 43,854 members
- My favorite Chinese restaurant 61 photos, 18 members
- Black&White Architectural Photography 4,200 photos, 377 members
- *Easter Retro* 1,415 photos, 210 members
- concertickets 2,153 photos, 169 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 35,863 photos, 271 members
- BARNS UNLIMITED 2,186 photos, 117 members
- Rephotography: Nevada 132 photos, 34 members
- CHURCHES & HOUSES OF WORSHIP 173,425 photos, 11,039 members
- NorthWest Law Enforcement New Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge 4,105 photos, 81 members
- Recollection Wisconsin 144 photos, 21 members
- 12-12-2012 386 photos, 357 members
- Carmageddon 17,772 photos, 1,107 members
- Four-on-a-Couch 1,418 photos, 235 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 5,931 photos, 6,620 members
- Carnegie Libraries 1,656 photos, 180 members
- Vintage Mini Golf 583 photos, 101 members
- Duck Pop 334 photos, 47 members
- 1959-1960 Buicks/ Electra/Invicta/LeSabre 1,306 photos, 87 members
- 1970's Pop Culture 2,809 photos, 349 members
- Police Vehicles from North America 2,439 photos, 149 members
- Idaho Law Enforcement 390 photos, 22 members
- Cadillac Hotrods 1,190 photos, 120 members
- The Teens Turn 100 959 photos, 162 members
- US Route 66 (The Mother Road) 18,991 photos, 1,150 members
- Retail Stores - GONE! 1,314 photos, 89 members
- Classic Pickup Trucks & Vans 14,680 photos, 713 members
- Northern Pacific Railway 471 photos, 78 members
- Vintage Advertising & Antiques 14,352 photos, 339 members
- Steam Trains 127,259 photos, 3,253 members
- Small Town America 39,391 photos, 1,181 members
- Root Beer is Delicious 262 photos, 155 members
- Las Vegas Photo Collection - Share your Vegas Images 8,674 photos, 496 members
- 1960-66 chevy / gmc trucks 693 photos, 138 members
- Corvette Classics: 1953-1982 11,071 photos, 1,027 members
- 1949 to 1952 Chevrolet cars and 1947 to 1953 pickup trucks 3,572 photos, 103 members
- Automotive Americana 18,281 photos, 180 members
- Kress Stores 699 photos, 100 members
- License Plates (No Cars) 1,912 photos, 116 members
"Allen does a wonderful job at finding vintage packaging and taking pictures of abandoned Las Vegas buildings that were been forgotten over the years. To me, Allen is really one of the greatest people ever on Flickr."
October 2nd, 2009
"Allen to me is family. He's part of the family of friends I have met and cherish here on Flickr who are into old signs, history of our own (and other) towns, mid-century, googie, and times gone by. Allen also has a collection of old product packaging that at first look seems strange, but then you realize the genius of it... he's preserving history with that too. You think a photo of some old location is something, wait until he posts a photo of some old product package that you can remember around your house when you were little, and -whoosh-, you're right back in time. You'll find yourself waiting to see what he'll have next in his photostream. I know I do. I'm darned glad for the chance to know him here on Flickr, as well as personally."
August 24th, 2009
Pete Zarria says:
"I had to write this to express my gratitude to these few photographers who have inspired me so much. These words may seem overblown, I don't know, when one has had the scales removed from their eyes, is there such a thing as too much gratitude?
I call them the "Usual Suspects" since some sort of old movie reference seems in line with the Gestalt of what these few have produced. What they do, what they have done that is important to today and to history. Simple recorders of events and things perhaps, but then so were those who left us the mystery of the petroglyphs. But in these fews efforts something of us and our past are preserved. That's important.
So to Roadsidepictures, who got the ball rolling, Allen, Thanks for making me see with new eyes. To Vintage Roadside, Jeff, you helped me to see and understand why its important. To loungelistner, Gary, thanks, you helped me do it with a new sense of joy. And to SKY✡VU, Jim, you are just an inspiration by simply being. Amazing what this one man has accomplished.
These few, these four led to others who have their own lessons to teach to those who will listen, to those who will "see": Thanks to HappyShooter, Fotoedge, Army.Arch, Julia, Alan of Marion, Dave van Hulsteyn, Dennis Dixon, Joey Harrison. Appreciating this thing called urban or Roadside America is just a big jigsaw puzzle. But I'm having way more fun putting it together."
December 1st, 2008
"He has an eye for all things to be photographed. It's easy to get lost looking through all the incredible images brought though RSP's photostream. It's easy to get lost in time and can't find your way out.
A true artist!"
December 3rd, 2008
Twang Your Head says:
"Allen's interests span far and wide. He's a great collector, and values the past. That's good in my book. If you love old stuff, Roadside delivers. I'm always drooling at his finds of classic packages.
Checking his photostream over a period of weeks and months, one is continually surprised by what he's into at the moment. I start wondering, "Where does he find the time?" But he finds the time, and he shows us how to value what he does.
And, his icon is for a women's deodorant.
Can't be that now, can ya?"
August 21st, 2008
"Allen is a true flickr friend. Ask him to photograph something new and he would reply "Why when there are so many old things to preserve in photo?." He is a true photo historian with a passion for chronicling change. His appreciation for others posts are always evident in his encouraging and kind remarks.
Keep doing what you are doing Allen, we all are watching and waiting for your posts to come!!"
August 20th, 2008
galessa's plastics says:
"I only wish all young people had the same respect and loving care for things of the past like this guy! Was this not enough, he is a A++++++ photographer and seems to be, by the pictures of himself, a very nice chap! I want to meet him in Nevada and let him show me around!"
January 16th, 2008
"allen is doing with las vegas what atget did with paris... photographically collecting, compiling, and cataloguing from the inside-out... unfortunately, i don't think the breadth and scope of his project will be fully appreciated until many, many years have passed."
February 13th, 2007
J M Ell says:
"Always worth checking in! Roadsidepictures has a great eye for urban archaelogy, ephemera and other fun kitsch!"
October 22nd, 2006
Paula Wirth says:
"So when is this guy gonna write a book already?? He already has the most amazing photographic collection of road signs, classy lettering/typography and vintage packaging you will ever find. I'm waiting!!!!!!"
August 8th, 2006
"One of my newest contacts on flickr, and one of my favorites. I never get bored of your photos! Postcards, architecture, ads... It's all very wonderful. Thank you for sharing some awesome history!"
August 4th, 2006
"Part archivist, part historian and part urban archeologist. An entertaining flickr contact."
July 25th, 2006
Annene von Durchgerockt says:
"Artisitic, skilled, smart.
A future hero, mapping his preferred area of the past for those who care and those who will care.
Plus a swell member of the Flickrati and a loyal contact."
July 14th, 2006
- September 2005
- Kansas City, Missouri/Henderson, Nevada
- I am:
- Male and Single
- School District-Maintenance Supervisor/Freelance Photographer