In Memory of Karen Lundquist, Gary Minniss and Tom Gegan
---|||-- -|||---profile if
---|||-- -|||---you know
-----\\\///-----who is living with, survived
------///\-----or has passed away from
A bit about myself...
I've enjoyed the hobby of photography since I was a kid. I like photographing old neon signs, cars, motels, gas stations, roadside attractions and suburban life. I'm very old fashioned. I should have been born in 1936.
I collect and sell stuff like this...
I also collect old radios...
I'm very interested in Las Vegas history and am a co author of a book about Las Vegas postcards...
*If you have offensive material in your photo stream, and make me a contact, I may block you. My photo stream is family friendly as are most of my contacts photo streams.
*If you have tons of favorites and have posted no pictures and no icon, I'll block you.
*If you use one of my pictures for a blog, a link back to my photo stream is appreciated.
*If you'd like permission to use one of my images in a book or otherwise, just send me a Flickrmail.
visited 17 states (34%)Create your own visited map of The United States or Free iphone travel guide
- Nothing But 'Yum' 754 photos, 52 members
- Moss Lamp Addicts 13 photos, 18 members
- Four-Door Hardtop 2,146 photos, 87 members
- Cars of the 1940's 4,664 photos, 145 members
- Sign Geeks 930 photos, 24 members
- Dutch Bros. Coffee 20 photos, 20 members
- Something Blue (Only Blue) 299,704 photos, 35,796 members
- My favorite Chinese restaurant 52 photos, 18 members
- Black & White Architectural Photography 1,447 photos, 138 members
- *Easter Retro* 1,448 photos, 202 members
- concertickets 2,142 photos, 158 members
- Car Show Picture Dump Group 26,470 photos, 147 members
- BARNS UNLIMITED 1,451 photos, 90 members
- Rephotography: Nevada 120 photos, 32 members
- CHURCHES & HOUSES OF WORSHIP 154,563 photos, 10,281 members
- Recollection Wisconsin 135 photos, 20 members
- 12-12-2012 389 photos, 367 members
- Carmageddon 16,371 photos, 1,046 members
- Four-on-a-Couch 1,400 photos, 233 members
- Your Best Shot 2012 6,082 photos, 6,952 members
- Carnegie Libraries 1,352 photos, 169 members
- Vintage Mini Golf 504 photos, 96 members
- Duck Pop 327 photos, 48 members
- 1959-1960 Buicks/ Electra/Invicta/LeSabre 1,139 photos, 77 members
- 1970's Pop Culture 2,196 photos, 317 members
- Police Vehicles from North America 2,526 photos, 144 members
- Idaho Law Enforcement 311 photos, 17 members
- Cadillac Hotrods 900 photos, 110 members
- The Teens Turn 100 923 photos, 163 members
- US Route 66 (The Mother Road) 16,863 photos, 1,011 members
- Retail Stores - GONE! 774 photos, 75 members
- Classic Pickup Trucks & Vans 11,312 photos, 614 members
- Northern Pacific Railway 424 photos, 66 members
- Vintage Advertising & Antiques 7,229 photos, 299 members
- Steam Trains 97,535 photos, 2,919 members
- Small Town America 35,585 photos, 1,147 members
- Root Beer is Delicious 262 photos, 152 members
- Las Vegas Photo Collection - Share your Vegas Images 4,065 photos, 233 members
- 1960-66 chevy / gmc trucks 571 photos, 111 members
- Corvette Classics: 1953-1982 9,923 photos, 920 members
- 1949 to 1952 Chevrolet cars and pickups 2,674 photos, 95 members
- Automotive Americana 6,205 photos, 95 members
- Kress Stores 602 photos, 98 members
- License Plates (No Cars) 912 photos, 92 members
- (C1) Corvettes 1,920 photos, 108 members
- The American Pick-up Truck 20,039 photos, 745 members
- tiki Tiki TIKI! 4,875 photos, 835 members
- Liberty! 139 photos, 79 members
- Winnemucca, Nevada 329 photos, 19 members
- REAL FLAME or TRUE FIRE (FENO) 234 photos, 102 members
"Allen does a wonderful job at finding vintage packaging and taking pictures of abandoned Las Vegas buildings that were been forgotten over the years. To me, Allen is really one of the greatest people ever on Flickr."
2nd October, 2009
"Allen to me is family. He's part of the family of friends I have met and cherish here on Flickr who are into old signs, history of our own (and other) towns, mid-century, googie, and times gone by. Allen also has a collection of old product packaging that at first look seems strange, but then you realize the genius of it... he's preserving history with that too. You think a photo of some old location is something, wait until he posts a photo of some old product package that you can remember around your house when you were little, and -whoosh-, you're right back in time. You'll find yourself waiting to see what he'll have next in his photostream. I know I do. I'm darned glad for the chance to know him here on Flickr, as well as personally."
24th August, 2009
Pete Zarria says:
"I had to write this to express my gratitude to these few photographers who have inspired me so much. These words may seem overblown, I don't know, when one has had the scales removed from their eyes, is there such a thing as too much gratitude?
I call them the "Usual Suspects" since some sort of old movie reference seems in line with the Gestalt of what these few have produced. What they do, what they have done that is important to today and to history. Simple recorders of events and things perhaps, but then so were those who left us the mystery of the petroglyphs. But in these fews efforts something of us and our past are preserved. That's important.
So to Roadsidepictures, who got the ball rolling, Allen, Thanks for making me see with new eyes. To Vintage Roadside, Jeff, you helped me to see and understand why its important. To loungelistner, Gary, thanks, you helped me do it with a new sense of joy. And to SKY✡VU, Jim, you are just an inspiration by simply being. Amazing what this one man has accomplished.
These few, these four led to others who have their own lessons to teach to those who will listen, to those who will "see": Thanks to HappyShooter, Fotoedge, Army.Arch, Julia, Alan of Marion, Dave van Hulsteyn, Dennis Dixon, Joey Harrison. Appreciating this thing called urban or Roadside America is just a big jigsaw puzzle. But I'm having way more fun putting it together."
1st December, 2008
"He has an eye for all things to be photographed. It's easy to get lost looking through all the incredible images brought though RSP's photostream. It's easy to get lost in time and can't find your way out.
A true artist!"
3rd December, 2008
Twang Your Head says:
"Allen's interests span far and wide. He's a great collector, and values the past. That's good in my book. If you love old stuff, Roadside delivers. I'm always drooling at his finds of classic packages.
Checking his photostream over a period of weeks and months, one is continually surprised by what he's into at the moment. I start wondering, "Where does he find the time?" But he finds the time, and he shows us how to value what he does.
And, his icon is for a women's deodorant.
Can't be that now, can ya?"
21st August, 2008
"Allen is a true flickr friend. Ask him to photograph something new and he would reply "Why when there are so many old things to preserve in photo?." He is a true photo historian with a passion for chronicling change. His appreciation for others posts are always evident in his encouraging and kind remarks.
Keep doing what you are doing Allen, we all are watching and waiting for your posts to come!!"
20th August, 2008
galessa's plastics says:
"I only wish all young people had the same respect and loving care for things of the past like this guy! Was this not enough, he is a A++++++ photographer and seems to be, by the pictures of himself, a very nice chap! I want to meet him in Nevada and let him show me around!"
16th January, 2008
"allen is doing with las vegas what atget did with paris... photographically collecting, compiling, and cataloguing from the inside-out... unfortunately, i don't think the breadth and scope of his project will be fully appreciated until many, many years have passed."
13th February, 2007
"Always worth checking in! Roadsidepictures has a great eye for urban archaelogy, ephemera and other fun kitsch!"
22nd October, 2006
Paula Wirth says:
"So when is this guy gonna write a book already?? He already has the most amazing photographic collection of road signs, classy lettering/typography and vintage packaging you will ever find. I'm waiting!!!!!!"
8th August, 2006
"One of my newest contacts on flickr, and one of my favorites. I never get bored of your photos! Postcards, architecture, ads... It's all very wonderful. Thank you for sharing some awesome history!"
4th August, 2006
"Part archivist, part historian and part urban archeologist. An entertaining flickr contact."
25th July, 2006
Annene von Durchgerockt says:
"Artisitic, skilled, smart.
A future hero, mapping his preferred area of the past for those who care and those who will care.
Plus a swell member of the Flickrati and a loyal contact."
14th July, 2006
- September 2005
- Kansas City, Missouri/Henderson, Nevada
- I am:
- Male and Single
- School District-Maintenance Supervisor/Freelance Photographer