My Artist's Statement
My photography is intended to capture emotion and decay.
I travel far to capture decay and ephemera close to home. This includes landscapes, water-scapes, and a wide assortment of found objects. More for a recorded document than an artistic journey, I scour my back roads exploring forgotten, discarded and disappearing landscapes.
I also strive to capture candid moments of emotion. To preserve those moments of fleeting joy.
My work on FILE Magazine
My work featured on spacing.ca goo.gl/m6u5Nh
My appearance on Boston.com's the Big Picture
My interview on Architectural Photography
An article on my work, the Toronto Star
My appearance on Toronto Life
On Huffington Post
Creativity is the alchemy that transforms...
• fear to resolve
• failure to courage
• doubt to authenticity
• hate to love
• pain to positive change
Paraphrased from another flickr-er, I can't find the original source
Some links to consider:
• Shared Culture
• Thomas Hawk
• Cory Doctorow
• Embracing the Remix
My Past Exhibits
Ryerson Chang Photography Exhibition, 2017_____________________________
The Chang School Photography Exhibition, organized by instructor Jill Glessing, gives our creative photography and image arts students an opportunity to display their strongest work in a juried show. Each year, leading professionals from the photography community select several works for their particular merit. The winning artists receive valuable awards that include gifts from photography-supply outlets and arts organizations.
A visual documentation and anecdotal exhibit Toronto’s cherished heritage buildings and sites.
• Building Storeys 2009
• Building Storeys 2010
• Building Storeys 2012
CONTACT Photography Festival
The Charlotte Room
19 Charlotte St.
Toronto, ON, Canada
FOUND OBJECTS | LOST LANDSCAPES
Whitby Public Library
You are free to share, remix, blog or alter my pictures.
All of my pictures are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 2.0 Generic license.
In return, I ask two things:
1) Give me attribution for my work, by linking back to my flickr photo-stream. Here's a sample (feel free to copy and paste):
<a href="https://www.flickr.com/rickharris">photo by: Rick Harris</a>
2) Release any transformations that includes my work under the same license.
As per Flickr's community guidelines, the picture should link back to the original in my photostream.
Note: I delete blinky awards and icons from my comments. Thanks.
Photos of Яick Harris (5)
- Strobist.com 607,842 photos, 124,058 members
- UrbanToronto 15,566 photos, 487 members
- Winnipeg Photography Club 11,195 photos, 487 members
- Vistek Photo of the Week Pool 3,207 photos, 62 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks - Monuments and Historic Places 23,978 photos, 4,936 members
- Still Life/La Nature Morte 12,287 photos, 1,448 members
- All about Groups. 0 photos, 160 members
- New Photo Experience 102 photos, 159 members
- We're Here! 28,626 photos, 741 members
- Trinity Bellwoods Park 1,120 photos, 134 members
- The Unconscious Art of Demolition 494 photos, 775 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 91 photos, 469 members
- We Demand Puppies! 246 photos, 130 members
- REPEAL THE TUMBLRlFICATION OF FLICKR!! 2 photos, 9 members
- SPACING MAGAZINE photo pool 18,870 photos, 342 members
- Light Junkies 114,305 photos, 19,132 members
- Flickr CPR 11,258 photos, 574 members
- OLD ADVERTISEMENTS 13,662 photos, 193 members
- Aviary on Flickr 3,347 photos, 216 members
- Pink Panther Studios 39 photos, 40 members
- London Tube 58,661 photos, 18,216 members
- Photographers' Rights. 222 photos, 3,636 members
- Vintage Canada 2,502 photos, 172 members
- The DMU Lightbox: 821 photos, 262 members
- HIPSTER 5,515 photos, 643 members
- The Icebox: Tell us a joke 7 photos, 1,428 members
- Canon prime lens club 93,146 photos, 7,512 members
- Canon 5D mark II with L lenses 109,964 photos, 2,329 members
- Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM 6,230 photos, 1,046 members
- Creative Workspace 855 photos, 565 members
- Boing Boing 135,621 photos, 5,248 members
- transaquatype 56 photos, 588 members
- Canon EF 17-40mm 1:4L USM 34,275 photos, 1,799 members
- New York City 824,242 photos, 58,541 members
- October 10, 2010 1,697 photos, 2,408 members
- Recipes to Share 39,075 photos, 20,887 members
- KOLEO the Graffiti/Street Artist 303 photos, 217 members
- Change your Photos and Graphics with Computers 2,525 photos, 153 members
- Presetting Lightroom 114,687 photos, 14,136 members
- 1 Photo Per Month 4,339 photos, 679 members
- Man Ray 14,414 photos, 4,268 members
- 100 years old 32,718 photos, 6,278 members
- Vintage Road Maps 2,161 photos, 287 members
- The StockYard - For Creative Commons Images/Textures Only 8,247 photos, 789 members
- Creative Commons- Free Pictures (no new members!) 14,501 photos, 2,775 members
- Leyendecker 631 photos, 440 members
- Vintage Laundry 395 photos, 113 members
- How do you live?...A Home Decorating and Interior Design Group 8,867 photos, 685 members
- Eat Your Vintage Vegetables! 188 photos, 44 members
- Pioneer Woman Photography Assignments 185,206 photos, 57,010 members
glory out. xoxo says:
"Яick Harris is a photoshop wizard who totally objects to grandiose compliments such as "brilliant", "genius", and also, I strongly suspect, "photoshop wizard".
Own your talent, buddy. Wear it like a beauty pageant tiara and stride boldly down the catwalk. Hug your talent to your manly bosom as though it were a dozen long stem roses. Your friends and fellow photogs are applauding in the audience. There's even a couple of folks in the crowd wolf whistling..."
August 7th, 2009
"Яick Harris is my photoshop and photography hero. I've never been to Whitby, but I'm sure all the harbour scenes, sunsets, red phone boxes and shoe trees near there won't look as kickarse in person as he makes the look on Flickr.
Then again, maybe he lives in a place of sheer magic, and his photos are pure representation of reality in his neighbourhood.
Thanks for making me an honourary Canadian. You'll notice I used appropriate "u"s in certain words."
May 12th, 2006
"Яick Harris shows you things. He shows you his surroundings, his family and his interests. Rick achieves this by applying his knowledge of photography and his pure love for his subject matter, the end result is nothing short of captivating.
He has a keen eye for threading beautiful landscapes into a panoramic wonder and his wildlife captures are to be envied.
If you want to see how outdoor photography should be composed, then be sure to explore Rick's body of work, you'll be glad that you did."
January 16th, 2006
- Rick Harris
- December 2004
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- My portfolio
- rick [at] rickharris.org