Most of the time I work as a teacher, a job I enjoy, but for real relaxation I love to head out with my camera. Sometimes I get no further than my garden - which is a haven for wildlife (a euphemism for somewhat unkempt); other times I'll visit local nature reserves and woods.
My main interest is photographing insects and I have a real soft spot for ladybirds and moths. I try to run a moth trap in my garden at least once a week, time and weather conditions permitting.
I nearly always shoot handheld and using natural light, mainly because I prefer how that looks, but also because I really can't be doing with the palaver of tripods and flashes. There are times, however, that I know I've missed opportunities because of inadequate light and so perhaps one day I'll venture into the mysterious world of supplementary lighting.
I have two teenage children who tend to resist my efforts to persuade them to join me on nature bimbles. Waiting for ages while Mum photographs yet another beetle is probably not the most exciting way to spend their time! There's hope for them yet, though... I used to get dragged out on nature rambles by my parents, which I didn't always appreciate at the time. Little did I realise then that those childhood experiences would have such a lasting effect on my life.
Apart from nature stuff, my big loves are my family, our wildlife garden - and Rebel and Dippy, our retired greyhounds.
I now have a site, Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography, where I have gathered some of my favourite photographic efforts.
Photos of nutmeg66 (1)
- Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust 8,018 photos, 198 members
- Lincolnshire 50,802 photos, 977 members
- Kitchen Chemistry 2014 73 photos, 72 members
- Moth Monday 2,086 photos, 108 members
- Buglife bug photography competition 1,942 photos, 278 members
- Nature Bookclub 716 photos, 117 members
- Mecoptera - scorpionflies, hangingflies... 111 photos, 16 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 224,772 photos, 16,239 members
- Wild Bees and Wasps of Europe (NO Honey Bees PLEASE) 23,814 photos, 1,399 members
- Lincolnshire Lepidoptera 1,624 photos, 31 members
- Sony α NEX & ILCE 468,029 photos, 14,641 members
- British Plant Galls and their Causers 1,084 photos, 54 members
- Butterflies and Moths of Great Britain & Ireland 77,035 photos, 2,294 members
- Elite Bugs 9,476 photos, 393 members
- Wasps 11,428 photos, 1,866 members
- Lincolnshire Beetles 1,429 photos, 41 members
- SoloReflex 100,090 photos, 1,937 members
- Insects in your hand! 3,146 photos, 589 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 57,481 photos, 1,793 members
- Plant Galls 1,948 photos, 172 members
- Order: Lepidoptera 12,587 photos, 141 members
- Caught in a Moth Trap! 10,789 photos, 102 members
- Better Than Good - Level 5 (p1/a3) 7,001 photos, 1,239 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 557,977 photos, 32,188 members
- BBC Winterwatch 175,836 photos, 8,477 members
- Moths, Bugs and Butterflies 1,769 photos, 38 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 471,005 photos, 10,918 members
- Insect activity (Invite only) 570 photos, 184 members
- The Art of Quality - [ Ladybug ] 1,842 photos, 1,974 members
- National Nature Reserves (UK) 8,258 photos, 301 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 715 photos, 189 members
- Color Photo Award - GOLD -- **Qualified photos only** 3,410 photos, 726 members
- Bugs On Bugs 1,489 photos, 245 members
- 1on1/2on2POW!!! [& POD & FP] You Belong Here!!!! 10,614 photos, 646 members
- Macro Viewers 158,034 photos, 6,394 members
- Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire 250 photos, 29 members
- Clydesdales 1,144 photos, 207 members
- Canon EOS 40D Users 504,001 photos, 17,776 members
- A Pic a Day Project 2,823 photos, 17 members
- Artistic and High Quality Macro (ADMIN Invite only) ~AWARD 5~ 14,246 photos, 3,768 members
- Ichneumons 886 photos, 127 members
- Birds and Wildlife UK 584,145 photos, 12,714 members
- Nature's Bargain Bucket 10,017 photos, 691 members
- Macro Marvels (Invite only) Post 1 Comment 2 70,638 photos, 10,448 members
- Dragonfly Gallery - P1 C1 please 70,670 photos, 6,362 members
- Red for the People of Burma 25,485 photos, 2,760 members
- U.K. and Ireland's Hoverflies (Syrphidae) 6,740 photos, 258 members
- British Beetles 12,354 photos, 516 members
- ONE PHOTO (closed 1-1-2016-online gallery now) 15,190 photos, 1,172 members
- British Mammals 27,930 photos, 862 members
Lord Cuauhtli says:
"Rachel!!! it have been wondefull to know you throuugh your photostream!!! i am always surprised all your bug's life macros! when i look at them i always think "do we really have THAT in the earth?"... mother's nature always is expressed in a beauty way in your pictures!.... thanks for your friendship that i have been enjoying all this time!! THANKS!"
February 9th, 2008
"I have to say that each time I look at nutmeg66's stream I really enjoy myself. She loves nature and puts everything into providing superb images for us all to see.
Thank you for such a wonderful stream and long may you keep us all enthralled.
December 16th, 2007
Scott Leach says:
"Well I have never met Rachel but I avidly look for the next photo of hers in my contacts. She really does have an amazing eye for a macro shot and it's certainly no fluke as she pulls out wonderful shot after wonderful shot. The clarity, colours and exceptional DoF in her pictures never ceases to amaze. I just wish I knew quite how she manages to spot so many wierd and wonderful insects!"
November 26th, 2007
"I am very lucky to have discovered Rachel's photostream as her photos are stunning. Also she is kind and considerate and always comments on other peoples photos. I am glad to have met her and enjoy viewing her awesome images, long may she continue."
August 6th, 2007
"Rachel is a very gifted photographer. She takes the most exceptional macro images of insects. I am in awe of her photographic skills and always look forward to her posting new images.
Thank you for sharing them with us and keep them coming !!"
June 10th, 2007
"I'm amazed with the results you get in your photos. Your nature shots are incredible. Many users of expensive DSLR's must be hanging their heads in shame. I hope you continue to inspire."
May 27th, 2007
- May 2005
- Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography