Most of the time I work as a teacher, a job I enjoy, but for real relaxation I love to head out with my camera. Sometimes I get no further than my garden - which is a haven for wildlife (a euphemism for somewhat unkempt); other times I'll visit local nature reserves and woods.
My main interest is photographing insects and I have a real soft spot for ladybirds and moths. I try to run a moth trap in my garden at least once a week, time and weather conditions permitting.
I nearly always shoot handheld and using natural light, mainly because I prefer how that looks, but also because I really can't be doing with the palaver of tripods and flashes. There are times, however, that I know I've missed opportunities because of inadequate light and so perhaps one day I'll venture into the mysterious world of supplementary lighting.
I have two teenage children who tend to resist my efforts to persuade them to join me on nature bimbles. Waiting for ages while Mum photographs yet another beetle is probably not the most exciting way to spend their time! There's hope for them yet, though... I used to get dragged out on nature rambles by my parents, which I didn't always appreciate at the time. Little did I realise then that those childhood experiences would have such a lasting effect on my life.
Apart from nature stuff, my big loves are my family, our wildlife garden - and Rebel and Dippy, our retired greyhounds.
I now have a site, Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography, where I have gathered some of my favourite photographic efforts.
Photos of nutmeg66 (1)
- Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust 7,168 photos, 171 members
- Lincolnshire 49,901 photos, 968 members
- Kitchen Chemistry 2014 83 photos, 72 members
- Moth Monday 2,032 photos, 105 members
- Buglife bug photography competition 1,862 photos, 273 members
- Nature Bookclub 705 photos, 117 members
- Mecoptera - scorpionflies, hangingflies... 108 photos, 15 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 226,023 photos, 16,072 members
- Wild Bees and Wasps of Europe (NO Honey Bees PLEASE) 23,254 photos, 1,378 members
- Lincolnshire Lepidoptera 1,607 photos, 31 members
- Sony α NEX & ILCE 453,902 photos, 14,536 members
- British Plant Galls and their Causers 1,062 photos, 54 members
- Butterflies and Moths of Great Britain & Ireland 75,854 photos, 2,265 members
- Elite Bugs 9,396 photos, 390 members
- Wasps 11,232 photos, 1,838 members
- Lincolnshire Beetles 1,429 photos, 41 members
- SoloReflex 98,888 photos, 1,939 members
- Insects in your hand! 3,133 photos, 590 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 56,471 photos, 1,773 members
- Plant Galls 1,928 photos, 169 members
- Order: Lepidoptera 11,765 photos, 129 members
- Caught in a Moth Trap! 10,588 photos, 103 members
- Better Than Good - Level 5 (p1/a3) 7,009 photos, 1,241 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 532,834 photos, 31,678 members
- BBC Winterwatch 176,789 photos, 8,501 members
- Moths, Bugs and Butterflies 1,707 photos, 36 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 465,142 photos, 10,892 members
- Insect activity (Invite only) 571 photos, 184 members
- The Art of Quality - [ Ladybug ] 1,815 photos, 1,965 members
- National Nature Reserves (UK) 7,846 photos, 299 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 698 photos, 185 members
- Color Photo Award - GOLD -- **Qualified photos only** 3,419 photos, 728 members
- Bugs On Bugs 1,449 photos, 241 members
- 1on1/2on2POW!!! [& POD & FP] You Belong Here!!!! 10,639 photos, 648 members
- Macro Viewers 154,244 photos, 6,318 members
- Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire 248 photos, 29 members
- Clydesdales 1,140 photos, 206 members
- Canon EOS 40D Users 503,949 photos, 17,785 members
- A Pic a Day Project 2,823 photos, 17 members
- Artistic and High Quality Macro (ADMIN Invite only) ~AWARD 5~ 14,266 photos, 3,750 members
- Ichneumons 852 photos, 124 members
- Birds and Wildlife UK 572,038 photos, 12,629 members
- Nature's Bargain Bucket 9,336 photos, 671 members
- Macro Marvels (Invite only) Post 1 Comment 2 70,433 photos, 10,443 members
- Dragonfly Gallery - P1 C1 please 70,599 photos, 6,330 members
- Red for the People of Burma 25,489 photos, 2,765 members
- U.K. and Ireland's Hoverflies (Syrphidae) 6,710 photos, 256 members
- British Beetles 12,262 photos, 516 members
- ONE PHOTO (closed 1-1-2016-online gallery now) 15,209 photos, 1,180 members
- British Mammals 27,028 photos, 834 members
Lord Cuauhtli says:
"Rachel!!! it have been wondefull to know you throuugh your photostream!!! i am always surprised all your bug's life macros! when i look at them i always think "do we really have THAT in the earth?"... mother's nature always is expressed in a beauty way in your pictures!.... thanks for your friendship that i have been enjoying all this time!! THANKS!"
February 9th, 2008
"I have to say that each time I look at nutmeg66's stream I really enjoy myself. She loves nature and puts everything into providing superb images for us all to see.
Thank you for such a wonderful stream and long may you keep us all enthralled.
December 16th, 2007
Scott Leach says:
"Well I have never met Rachel but I avidly look for the next photo of hers in my contacts. She really does have an amazing eye for a macro shot and it's certainly no fluke as she pulls out wonderful shot after wonderful shot. The clarity, colours and exceptional DoF in her pictures never ceases to amaze. I just wish I knew quite how she manages to spot so many wierd and wonderful insects!"
November 26th, 2007
"I am very lucky to have discovered Rachel's photostream as her photos are stunning. Also she is kind and considerate and always comments on other peoples photos. I am glad to have met her and enjoy viewing her awesome images, long may she continue."
August 6th, 2007
"Rachel is a very gifted photographer. She takes the most exceptional macro images of insects. I am in awe of her photographic skills and always look forward to her posting new images.
Thank you for sharing them with us and keep them coming !!"
June 10th, 2007
"I'm amazed with the results you get in your photos. Your nature shots are incredible. Many users of expensive DSLR's must be hanging their heads in shame. I hope you continue to inspire."
May 27th, 2007
- May 2005
- Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography