Most of the time I work as a teacher, a job I enjoy, but for real relaxation I love to head out with my camera. Sometimes I get no further than my garden - which is a haven for wildlife (a euphemism for somewhat unkempt); other times I'll visit local nature reserves and woods.
My main interest is photographing insects and I have a real soft spot for ladybirds and moths. I try to run a moth trap in my garden at least once a week, time and weather conditions permitting.
I nearly always shoot handheld and using natural light, mainly because I prefer how that looks, but also because I really can't be doing with the palaver of tripods and flashes. There are times, however, that I know I've missed opportunities because of inadequate light and so perhaps one day I'll venture into the mysterious world of supplementary lighting.
I have two teenage children who tend to resist my efforts to persuade them to join me on nature bimbles. Waiting for ages while Mum photographs yet another beetle is probably not the most exciting way to spend their time! There's hope for them yet, though... I used to get dragged out on nature rambles by my parents, which I didn't always appreciate at the time. Little did I realise then that those childhood experiences would have such a lasting effect on my life.
Apart from nature stuff, my big loves are my family, our wildlife garden - and Rebel and Dippy, our retired greyhounds.
I now have a site, Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography, where I have gathered some of my favourite photographic efforts.
Photos of nutmeg66 (1)
- Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust 6,719 photos, 163 members
- Lincolnshire 49,081 photos, 954 members
- Kitchen Chemistry 2014 83 photos, 73 members
- Moth Monday 1,920 photos, 102 members
- Buglife bug photography competition 1,810 photos, 269 members
- Nature Bookclub 697 photos, 115 members
- Mecoptera - scorpionflies, hangingflies... 108 photos, 15 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 226,794 photos, 16,006 members
- Wild Bees and Wasps of Europe (NO Honey Bees PLEASE) 22,464 photos, 1,338 members
- Lincolnshire Lepidoptera 1,515 photos, 31 members
- Sony α NEX & ILCE 442,089 photos, 14,471 members
- British Plant Galls and their Causers 1,018 photos, 53 members
- Butterflies and Moths of Great Britain & Ireland 70,741 photos, 2,205 members
- Elite Bugs 9,138 photos, 381 members
- Wasps 10,901 photos, 1,795 members
- Lincolnshire Beetles 1,429 photos, 41 members
- SoloReflex 97,682 photos, 1,937 members
- Insects in your hand! 3,104 photos, 583 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 51,610 photos, 1,702 members
- Plant Galls 1,902 photos, 170 members
- Order: Lepidoptera 10,989 photos, 125 members
- Caught in a Moth Trap! 10,235 photos, 99 members
- Better Than Good - Level 5 (p1/a3) 7,014 photos, 1,246 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 534,711 photos, 31,640 members
- BBC Winterwatch 177,504 photos, 8,460 members
- Moths, Bugs and Butterflies 1,529 photos, 33 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 458,143 photos, 10,852 members
- Insect activity (Invite only) 502 photos, 178 members
- The Art of Quality - [ Ladybug ] 1,796 photos, 1,949 members
- National Nature Reserves (UK) 7,611 photos, 296 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 698 photos, 183 members
- Color Photo Award - GOLD -- **Qualified photos only** 3,420 photos, 734 members
- Bugs On Bugs 1,406 photos, 239 members
- 1on1/2on2POW!!! [& POD & FP] You Belong Here!!!! 10,639 photos, 649 members
- Macro Viewers 149,750 photos, 6,246 members
- Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire 147 photos, 28 members
- Clydesdales 1,134 photos, 205 members
- Canon EOS 40D Users 502,949 photos, 17,771 members
- A Pic a Day Project 2,823 photos, 17 members
- Artistic and High Quality Macro (ADMIN Invite only) ~AWARD 5~ 14,298 photos, 3,757 members
- Ichneumons 826 photos, 117 members
- Birds and Wildlife UK 560,947 photos, 12,601 members
- Nature's Bargain Bucket 8,694 photos, 651 members
- Macro Marvels (Invite only) Post 1 Comment 2 70,358 photos, 10,451 members
- Dragonfly Gallery - P1 C1 please 68,479 photos, 6,205 members
- Red for the People of Burma 25,420 photos, 2,767 members
- U.K. and Ireland's Hoverflies (Syrphidae) 6,557 photos, 253 members
- British Beetles 12,045 photos, 511 members
- ONE PHOTO (closed 1-1-2016-online gallery now) 15,244 photos, 1,188 members
- British Mammals 26,172 photos, 826 members
Lord Cuauhtli says:
"Rachel!!! it have been wondefull to know you throuugh your photostream!!! i am always surprised all your bug's life macros! when i look at them i always think "do we really have THAT in the earth?"... mother's nature always is expressed in a beauty way in your pictures!.... thanks for your friendship that i have been enjoying all this time!! THANKS!"
February 9th, 2008
"I have to say that each time I look at nutmeg66's stream I really enjoy myself. She loves nature and puts everything into providing superb images for us all to see.
Thank you for such a wonderful stream and long may you keep us all enthralled.
December 16th, 2007
Scott Leach says:
"Well I have never met Rachel but I avidly look for the next photo of hers in my contacts. She really does have an amazing eye for a macro shot and it's certainly no fluke as she pulls out wonderful shot after wonderful shot. The clarity, colours and exceptional DoF in her pictures never ceases to amaze. I just wish I knew quite how she manages to spot so many wierd and wonderful insects!"
November 26th, 2007
"I am very lucky to have discovered Rachel's photostream as her photos are stunning. Also she is kind and considerate and always comments on other peoples photos. I am glad to have met her and enjoy viewing her awesome images, long may she continue."
August 6th, 2007
"Rachel is a very gifted photographer. She takes the most exceptional macro images of insects. I am in awe of her photographic skills and always look forward to her posting new images.
Thank you for sharing them with us and keep them coming !!"
June 10th, 2007
"I'm amazed with the results you get in your photos. Your nature shots are incredible. Many users of expensive DSLR's must be hanging their heads in shame. I hope you continue to inspire."
May 27th, 2007
- May 2005
- Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography