Most of the time I work as a teacher, a job I enjoy, but for real relaxation I love to head out with my camera. Sometimes I get no further than my garden - which is a haven for wildlife (a euphemism for somewhat unkempt); other times I'll visit local nature reserves and woods.
My main interest is photographing insects and I have a real soft spot for ladybirds and moths. I try to run a moth trap in my garden at least once a week, time and weather conditions permitting.
I nearly always shoot handheld and using natural light, mainly because I prefer how that looks, but also because I really can't be doing with the palaver of tripods and flashes. There are times, however, that I know I've missed opportunities because of inadequate light and so perhaps one day I'll venture into the mysterious world of supplementary lighting.
I have two teenage children who tend to resist my efforts to persuade them to join me on nature bimbles. Waiting for ages while Mum photographs yet another beetle is probably not the most exciting way to spend their time! There's hope for them yet, though... I used to get dragged out on nature rambles by my parents, which I didn't always appreciate at the time. Little did I realise then that those childhood experiences would have such a lasting effect on my life.
Apart from nature stuff, my big loves are my family, our wildlife garden - and Rebel and Dippy, our retired greyhounds.
I now have a site, Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography, where I have gathered some of my favourite photographic efforts.
Photos of nutmeg66 (1)
- Lincolnshire Wildlife Trust 7,009 photos, 165 members
- Lincolnshire 49,416 photos, 960 members
- Kitchen Chemistry 2014 83 photos, 73 members
- Moth Monday 1,971 photos, 105 members
- Buglife bug photography competition 1,836 photos, 272 members
- Nature Bookclub 701 photos, 115 members
- Mecoptera - scorpionflies, hangingflies... 108 photos, 15 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 226,445 photos, 16,004 members
- Wild Bees and Wasps of Europe (NO Honey Bees PLEASE) 22,903 photos, 1,363 members
- Lincolnshire Lepidoptera 1,563 photos, 31 members
- Sony α NEX & ILCE 446,940 photos, 14,507 members
- British Plant Galls and their Causers 1,026 photos, 53 members
- Butterflies and Moths of Great Britain & Ireland 73,876 photos, 2,240 members
- Elite Bugs 9,257 photos, 385 members
- Wasps 11,047 photos, 1,818 members
- Lincolnshire Beetles 1,429 photos, 41 members
- SoloReflex 98,149 photos, 1,936 members
- Insects in your hand! 3,128 photos, 587 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 54,670 photos, 1,753 members
- Plant Galls 1,911 photos, 170 members
- Order: Lepidoptera 11,353 photos, 127 members
- Caught in a Moth Trap! 10,388 photos, 101 members
- Better Than Good - Level 5 (p1/a3) 7,023 photos, 1,244 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 533,941 photos, 31,666 members
- BBC Winterwatch 177,205 photos, 8,475 members
- Moths, Bugs and Butterflies 1,647 photos, 34 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 461,361 photos, 10,868 members
- Insect activity (Invite only) 538 photos, 181 members
- The Art of Quality - [ Ladybug ] 1,801 photos, 1,956 members
- National Nature Reserves (UK) 7,756 photos, 296 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 698 photos, 183 members
- Color Photo Award - GOLD -- **Qualified photos only** 3,419 photos, 730 members
- Bugs On Bugs 1,417 photos, 240 members
- 1on1/2on2POW!!! [& POD & FP] You Belong Here!!!! 10,637 photos, 648 members
- Macro Viewers 152,040 photos, 6,283 members
- Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire 247 photos, 29 members
- Clydesdales 1,137 photos, 206 members
- Canon EOS 40D Users 503,151 photos, 17,772 members
- A Pic a Day Project 2,823 photos, 17 members
- Artistic and High Quality Macro (ADMIN Invite only) ~AWARD 5~ 14,277 photos, 3,750 members
- Ichneumons 845 photos, 123 members
- Birds and Wildlife UK 566,215 photos, 12,611 members
- Nature's Bargain Bucket 9,017 photos, 662 members
- Macro Marvels (Invite only) Post 1 Comment 2 70,401 photos, 10,449 members
- Dragonfly Gallery - P1 C1 please 69,596 photos, 6,273 members
- Red for the People of Burma 25,417 photos, 2,766 members
- U.K. and Ireland's Hoverflies (Syrphidae) 6,646 photos, 254 members
- British Beetles 12,152 photos, 514 members
- ONE PHOTO (closed 1-1-2016-online gallery now) 15,225 photos, 1,183 members
- British Mammals 26,586 photos, 833 members
Lord Cuauhtli says:
"Rachel!!! it have been wondefull to know you throuugh your photostream!!! i am always surprised all your bug's life macros! when i look at them i always think "do we really have THAT in the earth?"... mother's nature always is expressed in a beauty way in your pictures!.... thanks for your friendship that i have been enjoying all this time!! THANKS!"
February 9th, 2008
"I have to say that each time I look at nutmeg66's stream I really enjoy myself. She loves nature and puts everything into providing superb images for us all to see.
Thank you for such a wonderful stream and long may you keep us all enthralled.
December 16th, 2007
Scott Leach says:
"Well I have never met Rachel but I avidly look for the next photo of hers in my contacts. She really does have an amazing eye for a macro shot and it's certainly no fluke as she pulls out wonderful shot after wonderful shot. The clarity, colours and exceptional DoF in her pictures never ceases to amaze. I just wish I knew quite how she manages to spot so many wierd and wonderful insects!"
November 26th, 2007
"I am very lucky to have discovered Rachel's photostream as her photos are stunning. Also she is kind and considerate and always comments on other peoples photos. I am glad to have met her and enjoy viewing her awesome images, long may she continue."
August 6th, 2007
"Rachel is a very gifted photographer. She takes the most exceptional macro images of insects. I am in awe of her photographic skills and always look forward to her posting new images.
Thank you for sharing them with us and keep them coming !!"
June 10th, 2007
"I'm amazed with the results you get in your photos. Your nature shots are incredible. Many users of expensive DSLR's must be hanging their heads in shame. I hope you continue to inspire."
May 27th, 2007
- May 2005
- Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography