Most of the time I work as a teacher, a job I enjoy, but for real relaxation I love to head out with my camera. Sometimes I get no further than my garden - which is a haven for wildlife (a euphemism for somewhat unkempt); other times I'll visit local nature reserves and woods.
My main interest is photographing insects and I have a real soft spot for ladybirds and moths. I try to run a moth trap in my garden at least once a week, time and weather conditions permitting.
I nearly always shoot handheld and using natural light, mainly because I prefer how that looks, but also because I really can't be doing with the palaver of tripods and flashes. There are times, however, that I know I've missed opportunities because of inadequate light and so perhaps one day I'll venture into the mysterious world of supplementary lighting.
I have two teenage children who tend to resist my efforts to persuade them to join me on nature bimbles. Waiting for ages while Mum photographs yet another beetle is probably not the most exciting way to spend their time! There's hope for them yet, though... I used to get dragged out on nature rambles by my parents, which I didn't always appreciate at the time. Little did I realise then that those childhood experiences would have such a lasting effect on my life.
Apart from nature stuff, my big loves are my family, our wildlife garden - and Rebel and Dippy, our retired greyhounds.
I now have a site, Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography, where I have gathered some of my favourite photographic efforts.
Photos of nutmeg66 (1)
- Lincolnshire 46,354 photos, 930 members
- Kitchen Chemistry 2014 85 photos, 73 members
- Moth Monday 1,629 photos, 86 members
- Buglife bug photography competition 1,621 photos, 260 members
- Nature Bookclub 647 photos, 106 members
- Mecoptera - scorpionflies, hangingflies... 103 photos, 13 members
- BBC Autumnwatch (Official) 226,532 photos, 15,835 members
- Wild Bees and Wasps of Europe (NO Honey Bees PLEASE) 20,421 photos, 1,256 members
- Lincolnshire Lepidoptera 1,347 photos, 30 members
- Sony α NEX & ILCE 383,252 photos, 13,712 members
- British Plant Galls and their Causers 994 photos, 50 members
- Butterflies and Moths of Great Britain & Ireland 60,944 photos, 2,066 members
- Elite Bugs 8,060 photos, 381 members
- Wasps 10,068 photos, 1,741 members
- Lincolnshire Beetles 1,411 photos, 37 members
- SoloReflex 91,869 photos, 1,928 members
- Insects in your hand! 2,903 photos, 571 members
- UK Butterflies, Moths and Caterpillars 43,548 photos, 1,553 members
- Plant Galls 1,916 photos, 161 members
- Order: Lepidoptera 9,035 photos, 109 members
- Caught in a Moth Trap! 9,280 photos, 97 members
- Better Than Good - Level 5 (p1/a5) 6,895 photos, 1,240 members
- BBC Springwatch (Official) 433,219 photos, 28,650 members
- BBC Winterwatch 139,788 photos, 7,494 members
- Moths, Bugs and Butterflies 1,174 photos, 19 members
- Canon 7D - All Models 428,883 photos, 10,641 members
- Insect activity (Invite only) 501 photos, 179 members
- The Art of Quality - Ladybug Club 1,683 photos, 1,879 members
- National Nature Reserves (UK) 6,195 photos, 265 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 656 photos, 171 members
- Color Photo Award - GOLD -- **Qualified photos only** 3,426 photos, 743 members
- Bugs On Bugs 1,333 photos, 228 members
- 1on1/2on2POW!!! [& POD & FP] You Belong Here!!!! 10,590 photos, 649 members
- Macro Viewers 134,898 photos, 5,830 members
- Woodhall Spa, Lincolnshire 140 photos, 26 members
- Clydesdales 1,124 photos, 194 members
- Canon EOS 40D Users 498,868 photos, 17,743 members
- A Pic a Day Project 2,823 photos, 17 members
- Artistic and High Quality Macro (ADMIN Invite only) ~AWARD 5~ 14,368 photos, 3,730 members
- Ichneumons 665 photos, 108 members
- Birds and Wildlife UK 506,936 photos, 12,288 members
- Nature's Bargain Bucket 6,354 photos, 600 members
- Macro Marvels (Invite only) Post 1 Comment 2 69,771 photos, 10,481 members
- Dragonfly Gallery - P1 C1 please 64,130 photos, 6,017 members
- Red for the People of Burma 25,182 photos, 2,769 members
- U.K. and Ireland's Hoverflies (Syrphidae) 6,076 photos, 244 members
- British Beetles 10,906 photos, 494 members
- ONE PHOTO 15,409 photos, 1,218 members
- British Mammals 22,893 photos, 767 members
- NATURE'S BEST 1,114,345 photos, 26,315 members
Lord Cuauhtli says:
"Rachel!!! it have been wondefull to know you throuugh your photostream!!! i am always surprised all your bug's life macros! when i look at them i always think "do we really have THAT in the earth?"... mother's nature always is expressed in a beauty way in your pictures!.... thanks for your friendship that i have been enjoying all this time!! THANKS!"
February 9th, 2008
"I have to say that each time I look at nutmeg66's stream I really enjoy myself. She loves nature and puts everything into providing superb images for us all to see.
Thank you for such a wonderful stream and long may you keep us all enthralled.
December 16th, 2007
Scott Leach says:
"Well I have never met Rachel but I avidly look for the next photo of hers in my contacts. She really does have an amazing eye for a macro shot and it's certainly no fluke as she pulls out wonderful shot after wonderful shot. The clarity, colours and exceptional DoF in her pictures never ceases to amaze. I just wish I knew quite how she manages to spot so many wierd and wonderful insects!"
November 26th, 2007
"I am very lucky to have discovered Rachel's photostream as her photos are stunning. Also she is kind and considerate and always comments on other peoples photos. I am glad to have met her and enjoy viewing her awesome images, long may she continue."
August 6th, 2007
"Rachel is a very gifted photographer. She takes the most exceptional macro images of insects. I am in awe of her photographic skills and always look forward to her posting new images.
Thank you for sharing them with us and keep them coming !!"
June 10th, 2007
"I'm amazed with the results you get in your photos. Your nature shots are incredible. Many users of expensive DSLR's must be hanging their heads in shame. I hope you continue to inspire."
May 27th, 2007
- May 2005
- Nutmeg's Wildlife Photography