I'm a code artist and a skeptic with a curious mind. My interests are manifold and in constant evolution, involving glitch art, data visualization or robotic installations. If there is one common denominator it's my desire to understand, question and subvert the inner workings of systems of any kind.
Since I taught myself programming 30 years ago I have been trying to create algorithms that are able to surprise and to show almost autonomous creative behavior. The recent advancements in artificial intelligence, deep learning and data anaysis make me confident that in the near future "machine artists" will be able to create more interesting work than humans.
At the moment I am helping institutions like the British Library or the New York Public Library with the processing and classification of their vast digital archives since I believe that my future creative agents will require a solid foundation of human knowledge to build upon.
I live in Munich, Germany where together with my girlfriend Alexandra Lukaschewitz I also run a space called Dog & Pony which is something between a Wunderkammer and a gallery.
I have been speaking on conferences around the world for more than 10 years, my works have been shown at the Centre Pompidou Paris, the British Library London and the Museum of Modern Art New York.
I am the author of Peacock, a node-based visual laboratory which was part of the flock of creative tools at aviary.com which unfortunately have been discontinued after Aviary changed their strategy.
I'm a cofounder of the Munich FabLab where everybody who's interested in making things can get access to all kinds of maker equipment and knowledge.
For your and my entertainment I have built the following flickr widgets:
Islands Of Consciousness Creates an infinite movie with a randomly arranged soundtrack from Flickr images.
Phantoms The shape of things to come.
Passing by A random eternal voyage through Photochrom landscapes.
Aurora Binaris Binary Northern Lights.
Picturedisko - a musical instrument in the form of a record player that translates photos into music.
The Stake - a place that allows you to virtually burn things that you don't like.
Flickeur creates rather scary movies from randomly retrieved Flickr images.
Clockr displays the current time by using images from the onedigit group.
Tagnautica is an experimental way to explore the related tags of flickr.
- Project Weather 640,395 photos, 94,117 members
- The Atlas of Digital Damages 73 photos, 101 members
- vintage paperback 32,960 photos, 1,014 members
- POSTER DESIGN 46,841 photos, 9,090 members
- Handmade Ideas 137 photos, 26 members
- Ghost Signs 32,640 photos, 2,342 members
- Retroist 19,679 photos, 251 members
- Astro Green Deluxe Tesla Fjord 720 photos, 112 members
- The smirk magazine subscriptions 30,276 photos, 1,103 members
- Laser Projects 654 photos, 98 members
- FabLab Worldwide 226 photos, 21 members
- city and backyard wildlife 5,055 photos, 237 members
- Chiplotle! 83 photos, 33 members
- Ideolocator - You Are Here 329 photos, 26 members
- 42 869 photos, 452 members
- 1960s 18,755 photos, 1,471 members
- Digit Books 528 photos, 110 members
- pin up art by Helmert R. Miller 35 photos, 29 members
- Antique Photographs 71,893 photos, 1,767 members
- "Old Pictures & Post Cards" 72,396 photos, 1,294 members
- retro photos 9,804 photos, 577 members
- Vintage Scans 71,862 photos, 1,485 members
- Retro & Vintage Photography 129,140 photos, 8,156 members
- *Lovely 60s girls* 8,202 photos, 1,934 members
- Vintage In Colour 8,842 photos, 574 members
- FlashCamp 367 photos, 13 members
- Lensbaby 80,849 photos, 10,051 members
- Sign of the Pig (Giant Pigs and Signage) 460 photos, 248 members
- Actionscript generated art 376 photos, 60 members
- digital flower 718 photos, 126 members
- Statues and Sculptures. 344,806 photos, 23,154 members
- windows & balconies lovers (read rules !) 93,765 photos, 6,143 members
- Taxidermy 6,992 photos, 923 members
- Extreme Bokeh 435,306 photos, 22,187 members
- Museum 175,722 photos, 6,637 members
- --Lowbrow art-- 40,396 photos, 2,375 members
- Munich Decay 624 photos, 77 members
- flashonthebeach 3,374 photos, 182 members
- Generator.x: Generative strategies in art & design 12,100 photos, 1,670 members
- Sorry Jinho - here's the British Museum 108 photos, 15 members
- StreetArt München 2,410 photos, 88 members
- ♥ ♥ ♥ Romance On Postcards♥ ♥ ♥ 1,104 photos, 79 members
- Twitter 1,460 photos, 1,698 members
- Atheism 4,611 photos, 993 members
- Skeptics, Skepchicks, and Events 1,609 photos, 123 members
- stolenstrategies 62 photos, 91 members
- Spoonflower Fabric Designs 33,716 photos, 4,607 members
- New York City 796,941 photos, 57,926 members
- Pixel Cemetery 6 photos, 1 member
- Bizarre Illustrations & Drawings & Arts 148,358 photos, 6,883 members
"A great inspiration, and nothing but eye-candy. Quasimondo is one of the top gurus in my book!"
June 28th, 2006
- Mario Klingemann
- February 2004
- Munich, Germany
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Code Artist