I'm a code artist and a skeptic with a curious mind. My interests are manifold and in constant evolution, involving glitch art, data visualization or robotic installations. If there is one common denominator it's my desire to understand, question and subvert the inner workings of systems of any kind.
Since I taught myself programming 30 years ago I have been trying to create algorithms that are able to surprise and to show almost autonomous creative behavior. The recent advancements in artificial intelligence, deep learning and data anaysis make me confident that in the near future "machine artists" will be able to create more interesting work than humans.
At the moment I am helping institutions like the British Library or the New York Public Library with the processing and classification of their vast digital archives since I believe that my future creative agents will require a solid foundation of human knowledge to build upon.
I live in Munich, Germany where together with my girlfriend Alexandra Lukaschewitz I also run a space called Dog & Pony which is something between a Wunderkammer and a gallery.
I have been speaking on conferences around the world for more than 10 years, my works have been shown at the Centre Pompidou Paris, the British Library London and the Museum of Modern Art New York.
I am the author of Peacock, a node-based visual laboratory which was part of the flock of creative tools at aviary.com which unfortunately have been discontinued after Aviary changed their strategy.
I'm a cofounder of the Munich FabLab where everybody who's interested in making things can get access to all kinds of maker equipment and knowledge.
For your and my entertainment I have built the following flickr widgets:
Islands Of Consciousness Creates an infinite movie with a randomly arranged soundtrack from Flickr images.
Phantoms The shape of things to come.
Passing by A random eternal voyage through Photochrom landscapes.
Aurora Binaris Binary Northern Lights.
Picturedisko - a musical instrument in the form of a record player that translates photos into music.
The Stake - a place that allows you to virtually burn things that you don't like.
Flickeur creates rather scary movies from randomly retrieved Flickr images.
Clockr displays the current time by using images from the onedigit group.
Tagnautica is an experimental way to explore the related tags of flickr.
- Project Weather 632,329 photos, 93,934 members
- The Atlas of Digital Damages 76 photos, 107 members
- vintage paperback 36,209 photos, 1,076 members
- POSTER DESIGN 47,674 photos, 9,079 members
- Handmade Ideas 133 photos, 28 members
- Ghost Signs 35,822 photos, 2,398 members
- Retroist 20,069 photos, 263 members
- Astro Green Deluxe Tesla Fjord 752 photos, 120 members
- The smirk magazine subscriptions 33,555 photos, 1,149 members
- Laser Projects 758 photos, 107 members
- FabLab Worldwide 226 photos, 21 members
- city and backyard wildlife 5,123 photos, 236 members
- Chiplotle! 83 photos, 36 members
- Ideolocator - You Are Here 327 photos, 25 members
- 42 885 photos, 444 members
- 1960s 19,659 photos, 1,560 members
- Digit Books 540 photos, 111 members
- pin up art by Helmert R. Miller 35 photos, 29 members
- Antique Photographs 73,786 photos, 1,902 members
- "Old Pictures & Post Cards" 78,995 photos, 1,427 members
- retro photos 9,886 photos, 576 members
- Vintage Scans 79,891 photos, 1,576 members
- Retro & Vintage Photography 142,008 photos, 8,336 members
- *Lovely 60s girls* 8,965 photos, 2,097 members
- Vintage In Colour 9,490 photos, 615 members
- FlashCamp 367 photos, 14 members
- Lensbaby 80,033 photos, 10,092 members
- Sign of the Pig (Giant Pigs and Signage) 491 photos, 253 members
- Actionscript generated art 368 photos, 60 members
- digital flower 917 photos, 126 members
- Statues and Sculptures. 364,287 photos, 23,632 members
- windows & balconies lovers (read rules !) 98,330 photos, 6,453 members
- Taxidermy 7,010 photos, 922 members
- Extreme Bokeh 486,569 photos, 23,034 members
- Museum 195,469 photos, 6,796 members
- --Lowbrow art-- 41,119 photos, 2,346 members
- Munich Decay 658 photos, 84 members
- flashonthebeach 3,373 photos, 182 members
- Generator.x: Generative strategies in art & design 12,718 photos, 1,681 members
- Sorry Jinho - here's the British Museum 108 photos, 16 members
- StreetArt München 2,466 photos, 89 members
- ♥ ♥ ♥ Romance On Postcards♥ ♥ ♥ 1,137 photos, 80 members
- Twitter 1,445 photos, 1,692 members
- Atheism 4,798 photos, 999 members
- Skeptics, Skepchicks, and Events 1,607 photos, 123 members
- stolenstrategies 62 photos, 89 members
- Spoonflower Fabric Designs 36,708 photos, 4,857 members
- New York City 828,242 photos, 58,657 members
- Pixel Cemetery 6 photos, 1 member
- Bizarre Illustrations & Drawings & Arts 154,568 photos, 6,911 members
"A great inspiration, and nothing but eye-candy. Quasimondo is one of the top gurus in my book!"
June 28th, 2006
- Mario Klingemann
- February 2004
- Munich, Germany
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Code Artist