I'm a code artist and a skeptic with a curious mind. My interests are manifold and in constant evolution, involving glitch art, data visualization or robotic installations. If there is one common denominator it's my desire to understand, question and subvert the inner workings of systems of any kind.
Since I taught myself programming 30 years ago I have been trying to create algorithms that are able to surprise and to show almost autonomous creative behavior. The recent advancements in artificial intelligence, deep learning and data anaysis make me confident that in the near future "machine artists" will be able to create more interesting work than humans.
At the moment I am helping institutions like the British Library or the New York Public Library with the processing and classification of their vast digital archives since I believe that my future creative agents will require a solid foundation of human knowledge to build upon.
I live in Munich, Germany where together with my girlfriend Alexandra Lukaschewitz I also run a space called Dog & Pony which is something between a Wunderkammer and a gallery.
I have been speaking on conferences around the world for more than 10 years, my works have been shown at the Centre Pompidou Paris, the British Library London and the Museum of Modern Art New York.
I am the author of Peacock, a node-based visual laboratory which was part of the flock of creative tools at aviary.com which unfortunately have been discontinued after Aviary changed their strategy.
I'm a cofounder of the Munich FabLab where everybody who's interested in making things can get access to all kinds of maker equipment and knowledge.
For your and my entertainment I have built the following flickr widgets:
Islands Of Consciousness Creates an infinite movie with a randomly arranged soundtrack from Flickr images.
Phantoms The shape of things to come.
Passing by A random eternal voyage through Photochrom landscapes.
Aurora Binaris Binary Northern Lights.
Picturedisko - a musical instrument in the form of a record player that translates photos into music.
The Stake - a place that allows you to virtually burn things that you don't like.
Flickeur creates rather scary movies from randomly retrieved Flickr images.
Clockr displays the current time by using images from the onedigit group.
Tagnautica is an experimental way to explore the related tags of flickr.
- Project Weather 640,737 photos, 94,080 members
- The Atlas of Digital Damages 73 photos, 101 members
- vintage paperback 32,594 photos, 1,003 members
- POSTER DESIGN 46,728 photos, 9,092 members
- Handmade Ideas 137 photos, 26 members
- Ghost Signs 32,175 photos, 2,328 members
- Retroist 19,350 photos, 250 members
- Astro Green Deluxe Tesla Fjord 717 photos, 112 members
- The smirk magazine subscriptions 29,605 photos, 1,090 members
- Laser Projects 648 photos, 97 members
- FabLab Worldwide 226 photos, 21 members
- city and backyard wildlife 5,036 photos, 237 members
- Chiplotle! 83 photos, 33 members
- Ideolocator - You Are Here 329 photos, 26 members
- 42 868 photos, 450 members
- 1960s 18,520 photos, 1,460 members
- Digit Books 528 photos, 107 members
- pin up art by Helmert R. Miller 35 photos, 28 members
- Antique Photographs 71,112 photos, 1,754 members
- "Old Pictures & Post Cards" 71,177 photos, 1,273 members
- retro photos 9,706 photos, 576 members
- Vintage Scans 70,592 photos, 1,471 members
- Retro & Vintage Photography 127,541 photos, 8,125 members
- *Lovely 60s girls* 8,107 photos, 1,920 members
- Vintage In Colour 8,763 photos, 564 members
- FlashCamp 367 photos, 13 members
- Lensbaby 80,904 photos, 10,052 members
- Sign of the Pig (Giant Pigs and Signage) 458 photos, 248 members
- Actionscript generated art 376 photos, 60 members
- digital flower 710 photos, 125 members
- Statues and Sculptures. 343,214 photos, 23,092 members
- windows & balconies lovers (read rules !) 93,391 photos, 6,119 members
- Taxidermy 7,020 photos, 923 members
- Extreme Bokeh 430,689 photos, 22,115 members
- Museum 173,633 photos, 6,621 members
- --Lowbrow art-- 40,285 photos, 2,377 members
- Munich Decay 609 photos, 75 members
- flashonthebeach 3,374 photos, 182 members
- Generator.x: Generative strategies in art & design 12,072 photos, 1,669 members
- Sorry Jinho - here's the British Museum 108 photos, 15 members
- StreetArt München 2,410 photos, 88 members
- ♥ ♥ ♥ Romance On Postcards♥ ♥ ♥ 1,084 photos, 79 members
- Twitter 1,460 photos, 1,700 members
- Atheism 4,615 photos, 994 members
- Skeptics, Skepchicks, and Events 1,618 photos, 124 members
- stolenstrategies 62 photos, 91 members
- Spoonflower Fabric Designs 33,428 photos, 4,570 members
- New York City 792,782 photos, 57,780 members
- Pixel Cemetery 6 photos, 1 member
- Bizarre Illustrations & Drawings & Arts 147,492 photos, 6,875 members
"A great inspiration, and nothing but eye-candy. Quasimondo is one of the top gurus in my book!"
June 28th, 2006
- Mario Klingemann
- February 2004
- Munich, Germany
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Code Artist