I'm a code artist and a skeptic with a curious mind. My interests are manifold and in constant evolution, involving glitch art, data visualization or robotic installations. If there is one common denominator it's my desire to understand, question and subvert the inner workings of systems of any kind.
Since I taught myself programming 30 years ago I have been trying to create algorithms that are able to surprise and to show almost autonomous creative behavior. The recent advancements in artificial intelligence, deep learning and data anaysis make me confident that in the near future "machine artists" will be able to create more interesting work than humans.
At the moment I am helping institutions like the British Library or the New York Public Library with the processing and classification of their vast digital archives since I believe that my future creative agents will require a solid foundation of human knowledge to build upon.
I live in Munich, Germany where together with my girlfriend Alexandra Lukaschewitz I also run a space called Dog & Pony which is something between a Wunderkammer and a gallery.
I have been speaking on conferences around the world for more than 10 years, my works have been shown at the Centre Pompidou Paris, the British Library London and the Museum of Modern Art New York.
I am the author of Peacock, a node-based visual laboratory which was part of the flock of creative tools at aviary.com which unfortunately have been discontinued after Aviary changed their strategy.
I'm a cofounder of the Munich FabLab where everybody who's interested in making things can get access to all kinds of maker equipment and knowledge.
For your and my entertainment I have built the following flickr widgets:
Islands Of Consciousness Creates an infinite movie with a randomly arranged soundtrack from Flickr images.
Phantoms The shape of things to come.
Passing by A random eternal voyage through Photochrom landscapes.
Aurora Binaris Binary Northern Lights.
Picturedisko - a musical instrument in the form of a record player that translates photos into music.
The Stake - a place that allows you to virtually burn things that you don't like.
Flickeur creates rather scary movies from randomly retrieved Flickr images.
Clockr displays the current time by using images from the onedigit group.
Tagnautica is an experimental way to explore the related tags of flickr.
- Project Weather 645,140 photos, 93,671 members
- The Atlas of Digital Damages 73 photos, 99 members
- vintage paperback 30,697 photos, 982 members
- POSTER DESIGN 46,156 photos, 9,101 members
- Handmade Ideas 138 photos, 25 members
- Ghost Signs 31,017 photos, 2,287 members
- Retroist 17,418 photos, 240 members
- Astro Green Deluxe Tesla Fjord 681 photos, 112 members
- The smirk magazine subscriptions 26,961 photos, 1,056 members
- Laser Projects 645 photos, 94 members
- FabLab Worldwide 226 photos, 20 members
- city and backyard wildlife 4,916 photos, 239 members
- Chiplotle! 83 photos, 34 members
- Ideolocator - You Are Here 329 photos, 25 members
- 42 846 photos, 446 members
- 1960s 17,674 photos, 1,414 members
- Digit Books 525 photos, 104 members
- pin up art by Helmert R. Miller 35 photos, 28 members
- Antique Photographs 68,643 photos, 1,709 members
- "Old Pictures & Post Cards" 66,837 photos, 1,208 members
- retro photos 9,470 photos, 574 members
- Vintage Scans 66,400 photos, 1,426 members
- Retro & Vintage Photography 120,934 photos, 7,991 members
- *Lovely 60s girls* 7,700 photos, 1,854 members
- Vintage In Colour 8,217 photos, 547 members
- FlashCamp 367 photos, 13 members
- Lensbaby 81,420 photos, 10,019 members
- Sign of the Pig (Giant Pigs and Signage) 435 photos, 246 members
- Actionscript generated art 376 photos, 61 members
- digital flower 668 photos, 123 members
- Statues and Sculptures. 338,533 photos, 22,810 members
- windows & balconies lovers (read rules !) 91,184 photos, 6,005 members
- Taxidermy 7,001 photos, 919 members
- Extreme Bokeh 404,226 photos, 21,523 members
- Museum 163,894 photos, 6,513 members
- --Lowbrow art-- 39,964 photos, 2,389 members
- Munich Decay 603 photos, 73 members
- flashonthebeach 3,375 photos, 182 members
- Generator.x: Generative strategies in art & design 12,006 photos, 1,670 members
- Sorry Jinho - here's the British Museum 108 photos, 15 members
- StreetArt München 2,382 photos, 87 members
- ♥ ♥ ♥ Romance On Postcards♥ ♥ ♥ 1,000 photos, 78 members
- Twitter 1,459 photos, 1,694 members
- Atheism 4,474 photos, 991 members
- Skeptics, Skepchicks, and Events 1,623 photos, 124 members
- stolenstrategies 62 photos, 91 members
- Spoonflower Fabric Designs 32,008 photos, 4,518 members
- New York City 772,770 photos, 56,633 members
- Pixel Cemetery 6 photos, 2 members
- Bizarre Illustrations & Drawings & Arts 143,751 photos, 6,867 members
"A great inspiration, and nothing but eye-candy. Quasimondo is one of the top gurus in my book!"
June 28th, 2006
- Mario Klingemann
- February 2004
- Munich, Germany
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Code Artist