My name is Dave Wild. I had a few film cameras and digital cameras in the earlier parts of my life but it wasn't until 2003 that I really started taking a lot of photos. I discovered Flickr not long after it launched but initially didn't get it. When I eventually signed up in early 2005 it soon became apparent that the real value of Flickr was the social element. Since then I've met a lot of Flickr users in real life, become good friends with some of them and I've done all sorts of silly things that I wouldn't have done without the involvement of Flickr!
In recent years I've accidentally fallen into a specialization of photographing domestic animals - hopefully with a bit of personality or character. I try to present a kind and calm demeanour to the animals when I photograph them and try to keep them happy. The animals that enjoy the attention and are at ease around me are the ones that tend to look happy in the resulting photos.
Photos credits for the images above (all links go to the original images):
1st row (L-R): tommytoolhire, austenhaines, jonbradbury, Verrico
2nd Row (L-R): jonbradbury, jonbradbury, Tricky, jonbradbury
3rd Row (L-R): Me!, Me!, Me!
- Sigma DP 1, DP 2, and DP 3, Merrill and Quattro Cameras 82,076 photos, 3,111 members
- Project 365 1,934,822 photos, 31,045 members
- Sony RX100 (All Versions) 205,387 photos, 9,913 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks 23,824 photos, 5,014 members
- Fujifilm XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro Lens 7,754 photos, 997 members
- Fujinon XF10-24mm F4 12,217 photos, 1,195 members
- Fujifilm X-T1 291,949 photos, 10,336 members
- Flickr Nottingham Exhibition - Connected 11 photos, 166 members
- Rufford Abbey Country Park 1,960 photos, 127 members
- Sherwood Forest 1,301 photos, 131 members
- Lumia Everyday 15,936 photos, 711 members
- pureviewclub 36,957 photos, 819 members
- Nokia 41,814 photos, 3,061 members
- Vicar Water Park Clipstone 507 photos, 27 members
- Fuji X100 190,243 photos, 10,243 members
- Border Collies 14,281 photos, 954 members
- Ricoh GR Fans 181,912 photos, 5,705 members
- #Flickr10 7,463 photos, 4,137 members
- That Post - The post at Whinstone Lee Tor 28 photos, 16 members
- Nottinghamshire Motorsport 948 photos, 40 members
- Bits of cow shots! 3,054 photos, 405 members
- Triggertrap 6,632 photos, 2,593 members
- East Midlands Museums, Visitor Attractions & Landmarks. 264 photos, 20 members
- Artistic and creative dog shots! 59,540 photos, 4,442 members
- All Animal Close-Ups 52,727 photos, 1,132 members
- Barrowhill Roundhouse Railway Centre. 7,274 photos, 226 members
- Notturnal (Nottinghamshire at Night) 5,946 photos, 332 members
- Farm Animals Only 19,040 photos, 1,588 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 22,688 photos, 288 members
- Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire Photographers 28,207 photos, 215 members
- 365 Days Project 865,011 photos, 13,762 members
- Fujinon XF35mm F1.4 80,451 photos, 4,927 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 218,277 photos, 6,146 members
- Fujifilm X-mount cameras 474,212 photos, 12,482 members
- 100 Strangers 49,395 photos, 11,747 members
- White Post Farm Farnsfield 91 photos, 13 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 235,544 photos, 9,909 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 4 / GRD IV 35,885 photos, 1,757 members
- Nottinghamshire Cemeteries, Graveyards and Memorials 1,634 photos, 120 members
- Photographers of Nottingham 60,813 photos, 910 members
- Peak District National Park 84,990 photos, 4,087 members
- Leeds 68,658 photos, 3,257 members
- Chickens ROCK!! 17,327 photos, 2,530 members
- Traditional Farm Animals 17,917 photos, 2,250 members
- Llamas! 2,425 photos, 726 members
- Bestwood Country Park 430 photos, 29 members
- Alpacas 5,315 photos, 784 members
- Orange Bikes 1,801 photos, 166 members
- Ginger Cows 961 photos, 261 members
- I Love Goats 8,156 photos, 1,252 members
"Inspirational and aspirational piccies. His obsession with farmyard animals may worry some, whilst making others go "ahh", but just reflects his humour and interest in the Archers."
September 1st, 2008
Paul M. Robinson says:
"Dave Wild, popularly known as 'publicenergy' has been a favourite of mine since discovering Flickr back in October 2006. After receiving his book today from Blurb I felt compelled to write something about this man and his photographic talent. Flickr serves as an excellent showcase of Dave's work and his prolific output never ceases to amaze, inspire and amuse. He has a unique vision and in my mind he's one of the unsung heroes of Flickr."
April 16th, 2008
"I briefly met publicenergy at the Big UK flickr meet, exchanged MOO cards and didn't think much of it then.. once home and having seen his infamous buddy icon, I kept seeing him absolutely everywhere! In the comments of random photos, all sorts of group forums and heck, even on the web..! Not to mention the front page of EXPLORE a couple of times.
All in all, If someone asked me to show them a "good" photographer in flickr, publicenergy would probably be in the top 3."
September 3rd, 2007
"Dave has to be for sure one of flickrs best photographers ,
he has a real skill for making everyday shots interesting with his breathtaking infrared and creative lomo photography."
August 30th, 2007
Jenn R Williams says:
"Awesome pics. Mighty lomographs. Top flickrite. Love it when his photos pop up in my contacts pics - keep 'em coming kidda!
...plus he's got healthy respeck for da dawg - very good sign....."
May 15th, 2007
tricky (rick harrison) says:
"Dave's photos are always a treat, and always with an interesting creative slant that keeps bringing me back. He's also a master of Infra-Red, and I'm deeply in his debt for inspiring me to give it a go too :-)
Now, if only he'd smile more ;-)"
January 29th, 2007
Psycho Crow says:
"From amazing IR imagery through muddy faced self portraits to zany antics with novelty crockery, this guy knows how to produce pleasing images whilst still challenging the established boundaries of photography. Not only a great photographer, but a jolly nice chap to boot, and someone I am happy to have shared a beer or two with."
January 28th, 2007
"One of my top favorites on Flickr. His vision of England is a photographic realization of every dream I've had about the place."
April 23rd, 2006
"publicenergy produces amazing images on a consistent level.
Definitely one of Flickr's most underrated photographers."
December 28th, 2005
Art Ascii says:
"Whether out for a ball breaking bike ride, or casting his eye around his home Dave seems to find an angle. With the shot in the can we get to enjoy his discovery here on flickr.
With his IR shots he often reaches for the sky and delivers, time and time again, superb BW's of a standard that inspires me and that I aspire too.
For someone who professes a dislike of self portraiture he need not be shy as his rugged good looks are rugged good looks!
Looking forward enthuisiastically to lots more of your shots."
December 17th, 2005
"Serious style and awesome InfraRed shots are only the tip of the iceberg. PublicEnergy's photos are so sophisticated it makes my eyes bleed. I strongly suggest check 'em out."
July 5th, 2005
- Dave Wild
- January 2005
- Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
- I am:
- IT Manager