My name is Dave Wild. I had a few film cameras and digital cameras in the earlier parts of my life but it wasn't until 2003 that I really started taking a lot of photos. I discovered Flickr not long after it launched but initially didn't get it. When I eventually signed up in early 2005 it soon became apparent that the real value of Flickr was the social element. Since then I've met a lot of Flickr users in real life, become good friends with some of them and I've done all sorts of silly things that I wouldn't have done without the involvement of Flickr!
In recent years I've accidentally fallen into a specialization of photographing domestic animals - hopefully with a bit of personality or character. I try to present a kind and calm demeanour to the animals when I photograph them and try to keep them happy. The animals that enjoy the attention and are at ease around me are the ones that tend to look happy in the resulting photos.
Photos credits for the images above (all links go to the original images):
1st row (L-R): tommytoolhire, austenhaines, jonbradbury, Verrico
2nd Row (L-R): jonbradbury, jonbradbury, Tricky, jonbradbury
3rd Row (L-R): Me!, Me!, Me!
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks - Monuments and Historic Places 25,108 photos, 4,755 members
- Fujifilm XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro Lens 7,325 photos, 935 members
- Fujinon XF10-24mm F4 10,377 photos, 1,059 members
- Fujifilm X-T1 274,532 photos, 10,101 members
- Flickr Nottingham Exhibition - Connected 11 photos, 166 members
- Rufford Abbey Country Park 2,046 photos, 125 members
- Sherwood Forest 1,263 photos, 127 members
- Lumia Everyday 15,659 photos, 715 members
- pureviewclub 36,557 photos, 813 members
- Nokia 41,533 photos, 3,053 members
- Vicar Water Park Clipstone 506 photos, 28 members
- Fuji X100 186,213 photos, 10,179 members
- Border Collies 13,855 photos, 949 members
- Ricoh GR Fans 179,162 photos, 5,585 members
- #Flickr10 7,508 photos, 3,951 members
- That Post - The post at Whinstone Lee Tor 28 photos, 16 members
- Nottinghamshire Motorsport 932 photos, 39 members
- Bits of cow shots! 3,054 photos, 386 members
- Triggertrap 6,547 photos, 2,595 members
- East Midlands Museums, Visitor Attractions & Landmarks. 247 photos, 20 members
- Artistic and creative dog shots! 57,140 photos, 4,330 members
- All Animal Close-Ups 52,598 photos, 1,122 members
- Barrowhill Roundhouse Railway Centre. 6,725 photos, 217 members
- Notturnal (Nottinghamshire at Night) 5,878 photos, 327 members
- Farm Animals Only 18,638 photos, 1,543 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 21,890 photos, 289 members
- Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire Photographers 24,893 photos, 210 members
- 365 Days Project 842,079 photos, 13,580 members
- Fujinon XF35mm F1.4 76,376 photos, 4,660 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 212,976 photos, 6,132 members
- Fujifilm X-mount cameras 426,534 photos, 11,471 members
- 100 Strangers 49,224 photos, 11,681 members
- White Post Farm Farnsfield 91 photos, 13 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 232,634 photos, 9,803 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 4 / GRD IV 35,662 photos, 1,726 members
- Nottinghamshire Cemeteries, Graveyards and Memorials 1,623 photos, 121 members
- Photographers of Nottingham 58,856 photos, 898 members
- Peak District National Park 81,733 photos, 3,967 members
- Leeds 67,423 photos, 3,246 members
- Chickens ROCK!! 17,394 photos, 2,512 members
- Traditional Farm Animals 18,267 photos, 2,255 members
- Llamas! 2,434 photos, 727 members
- Bestwood Country Park 417 photos, 29 members
- Alpacas 5,202 photos, 780 members
- Orange Bikes 1,741 photos, 162 members
- Ginger Cows 860 photos, 262 members
- I Love Goats 8,036 photos, 1,236 members
- Goats! Goats! Goats! 17,450 photos, 3,448 members
- Cows 702 photos, 120 members
- a Day In the Life Of ...[22nd September 2013] 48,619 photos, 14,812 members
"Inspirational and aspirational piccies. His obsession with farmyard animals may worry some, whilst making others go "ahh", but just reflects his humour and interest in the Archers."
September 1st, 2008
Paul M. Robinson says:
"Dave Wild, popularly known as 'publicenergy' has been a favourite of mine since discovering Flickr back in October 2006. After receiving his book today from Blurb I felt compelled to write something about this man and his photographic talent. Flickr serves as an excellent showcase of Dave's work and his prolific output never ceases to amaze, inspire and amuse. He has a unique vision and in my mind he's one of the unsung heroes of Flickr."
April 16th, 2008
"I briefly met publicenergy at the Big UK flickr meet, exchanged MOO cards and didn't think much of it then.. once home and having seen his infamous buddy icon, I kept seeing him absolutely everywhere! In the comments of random photos, all sorts of group forums and heck, even on the web..! Not to mention the front page of EXPLORE a couple of times.
All in all, If someone asked me to show them a "good" photographer in flickr, publicenergy would probably be in the top 3."
September 3rd, 2007
"Dave has to be for sure one of flickrs best photographers ,
he has a real skill for making everyday shots interesting with his breathtaking infrared and creative lomo photography."
August 30th, 2007
Jenn R Williams says:
"Awesome pics. Mighty lomographs. Top flickrite. Love it when his photos pop up in my contacts pics - keep 'em coming kidda!
...plus he's got healthy respeck for da dawg - very good sign....."
May 15th, 2007
tricky (rick harrison) says:
"Dave's photos are always a treat, and always with an interesting creative slant that keeps bringing me back. He's also a master of Infra-Red, and I'm deeply in his debt for inspiring me to give it a go too :-)
Now, if only he'd smile more ;-)"
January 29th, 2007
Psycho Crow says:
"From amazing IR imagery through muddy faced self portraits to zany antics with novelty crockery, this guy knows how to produce pleasing images whilst still challenging the established boundaries of photography. Not only a great photographer, but a jolly nice chap to boot, and someone I am happy to have shared a beer or two with."
January 28th, 2007
"One of my top favorites on Flickr. His vision of England is a photographic realization of every dream I've had about the place."
April 23rd, 2006
"publicenergy produces amazing images on a consistent level.
Definitely one of Flickr's most underrated photographers."
December 28th, 2005
Art Ascii says:
"Whether out for a ball breaking bike ride, or casting his eye around his home Dave seems to find an angle. With the shot in the can we get to enjoy his discovery here on flickr.
With his IR shots he often reaches for the sky and delivers, time and time again, superb BW's of a standard that inspires me and that I aspire too.
For someone who professes a dislike of self portraiture he need not be shy as his rugged good looks are rugged good looks!
Looking forward enthuisiastically to lots more of your shots."
December 17th, 2005
"Serious style and awesome InfraRed shots are only the tip of the iceberg. PublicEnergy's photos are so sophisticated it makes my eyes bleed. I strongly suggest check 'em out."
July 5th, 2005
- Dave Wild
- January 2005
- Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
- I am:
- IT Manager