My name is Dave Wild. I had a few film cameras and digital cameras in the earlier parts of my life but it wasn't until 2003 that I really started taking a lot of photos. I discovered Flickr not long after it launched but initially didn't get it. When I eventually signed up in early 2005 it soon became apparent that the real value of Flickr was the social element. Since then I've met a lot of Flickr users in real life, become good friends with some of them and I've done all sorts of silly things that I wouldn't have done without the involvement of Flickr!
In recent years I've accidentally fallen into a specialization of photographing domestic animals - hopefully with a bit of personality or character. I try to present a kind and calm demeanour to the animals when I photograph them and try to keep them happy. The animals that enjoy the attention and are at ease around me are the ones that tend to look happy in the resulting photos.
Photos credits for the images above (all links go to the original images):
1st row (L-R): tommytoolhire, austenhaines, jonbradbury, Verrico
2nd Row (L-R): jonbradbury, jonbradbury, Tricky, jonbradbury
3rd Row (L-R): Me!, Me!, Me!
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks - Macro 27,798 photos, 4,415 members
- Fujifilm XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro Lens 6,845 photos, 887 members
- Fujinon XF10-24mm F4 8,912 photos, 969 members
- Fujifilm X-T1 257,578 photos, 9,879 members
- Flickr Nottingham Exhibition - Connected 11 photos, 166 members
- Rufford Abbey Country Park 1,979 photos, 122 members
- Sherwood Forest 1,256 photos, 123 members
- Lumia Everyday 15,275 photos, 714 members
- pureviewclub 36,089 photos, 808 members
- Nokia 41,166 photos, 3,047 members
- Vicar Water Park Clipstone 465 photos, 27 members
- Fuji X100 182,340 photos, 10,105 members
- Border Collies 13,595 photos, 932 members
- Ricoh GR Fans 174,115 photos, 5,491 members
- #Flickr10 7,527 photos, 3,778 members
- That Post - The post at Whinstone Lee Tor 28 photos, 16 members
- Nottinghamshire Motorsport 753 photos, 38 members
- Bits of cow shots! 2,868 photos, 372 members
- Triggertrap 6,370 photos, 2,625 members
- East Midlands Museums, Visitor Attractions & Landmarks. 225 photos, 21 members
- Artistic and creative dog shots! 56,055 photos, 4,243 members
- All Animal Close-Ups 48,697 photos, 1,099 members
- Barrowhill Roundhouse Railway Centre. 6,615 photos, 212 members
- Notturnal (Nottinghamshire at Night) 5,913 photos, 328 members
- Farm Animals Only 17,706 photos, 1,481 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 21,444 photos, 292 members
- Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire Photographers 22,303 photos, 206 members
- 365 Days Project 824,529 photos, 13,507 members
- Fujinon XF35mm F1.4 73,537 photos, 4,475 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 207,583 photos, 6,120 members
- Fujifilm X-mount cameras 387,026 photos, 10,689 members
- 100 Strangers 49,939 photos, 11,667 members
- White Post Farm Farnsfield 87 photos, 12 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 229,307 photos, 9,744 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 4 / GRD IV 35,426 photos, 1,723 members
- Nottinghamshire Cemeteries, Graveyards and Memorials 1,630 photos, 122 members
- Photographers of Nottingham 57,851 photos, 882 members
- Peak District National Park 78,663 photos, 3,885 members
- Leeds 66,352 photos, 3,235 members
- Chickens ROCK!! 17,247 photos, 2,489 members
- Traditional Farm Animals 18,147 photos, 2,259 members
- Llamas! 2,417 photos, 725 members
- Bestwood Country Park 419 photos, 29 members
- Alpacas 5,127 photos, 770 members
- Orange Bikes 1,686 photos, 161 members
- Ginger Cows 855 photos, 256 members
- I Love Goats 7,950 photos, 1,230 members
- Goats! Goats! Goats! 17,261 photos, 3,412 members
- Cows 710 photos, 116 members
- a Day In the Life Of ...[22nd September 2013] 46,602 photos, 14,855 members
"Inspirational and aspirational piccies. His obsession with farmyard animals may worry some, whilst making others go "ahh", but just reflects his humour and interest in the Archers."
September 1st, 2008
Paul M. Robinson says:
"Dave Wild, popularly known as 'publicenergy' has been a favourite of mine since discovering Flickr back in October 2006. After receiving his book today from Blurb I felt compelled to write something about this man and his photographic talent. Flickr serves as an excellent showcase of Dave's work and his prolific output never ceases to amaze, inspire and amuse. He has a unique vision and in my mind he's one of the unsung heroes of Flickr."
April 16th, 2008
"I briefly met publicenergy at the Big UK flickr meet, exchanged MOO cards and didn't think much of it then.. once home and having seen his infamous buddy icon, I kept seeing him absolutely everywhere! In the comments of random photos, all sorts of group forums and heck, even on the web..! Not to mention the front page of EXPLORE a couple of times.
All in all, If someone asked me to show them a "good" photographer in flickr, publicenergy would probably be in the top 3."
September 3rd, 2007
"Dave has to be for sure one of flickrs best photographers ,
he has a real skill for making everyday shots interesting with his breathtaking infrared and creative lomo photography."
August 30th, 2007
Jenn R Williams says:
"Awesome pics. Mighty lomographs. Top flickrite. Love it when his photos pop up in my contacts pics - keep 'em coming kidda!
...plus he's got healthy respeck for da dawg - very good sign....."
May 15th, 2007
tricky (rick harrison) says:
"Dave's photos are always a treat, and always with an interesting creative slant that keeps bringing me back. He's also a master of Infra-Red, and I'm deeply in his debt for inspiring me to give it a go too :-)
Now, if only he'd smile more ;-)"
January 29th, 2007
Psycho Crow says:
"From amazing IR imagery through muddy faced self portraits to zany antics with novelty crockery, this guy knows how to produce pleasing images whilst still challenging the established boundaries of photography. Not only a great photographer, but a jolly nice chap to boot, and someone I am happy to have shared a beer or two with."
January 28th, 2007
"One of my top favorites on Flickr. His vision of England is a photographic realization of every dream I've had about the place."
April 23rd, 2006
"publicenergy produces amazing images on a consistent level.
Definitely one of Flickr's most underrated photographers."
December 28th, 2005
Art Ascii says:
"Whether out for a ball breaking bike ride, or casting his eye around his home Dave seems to find an angle. With the shot in the can we get to enjoy his discovery here on flickr.
With his IR shots he often reaches for the sky and delivers, time and time again, superb BW's of a standard that inspires me and that I aspire too.
For someone who professes a dislike of self portraiture he need not be shy as his rugged good looks are rugged good looks!
Looking forward enthuisiastically to lots more of your shots."
December 17th, 2005
"Serious style and awesome InfraRed shots are only the tip of the iceberg. PublicEnergy's photos are so sophisticated it makes my eyes bleed. I strongly suggest check 'em out."
July 5th, 2005
- Dave Wild
- January 2005
- Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
- I am:
- IT Manager