My name is Dave Wild. I had a few film cameras and digital cameras in the earlier parts of my life but it wasn't until 2003 that I really started taking a lot of photos. I discovered Flickr not long after it launched but initially didn't get it. When I eventually signed up in early 2005 it soon became apparent that the real value of Flickr was the social element. Since then I've met a lot of Flickr users in real life, become good friends with some of them and I've done all sorts of silly things that I wouldn't have done without the involvement of Flickr!
In recent years I've accidentally fallen into a specialization of photographing domestic animals - hopefully with a bit of personality or character. I try to present a kind and calm demeanour to the animals when I photograph them and try to keep them happy. The animals that enjoy the attention and are at ease around me are the ones that tend to look happy in the resulting photos.
Photos credits for the images above (all links go to the original images):
1st row (L-R): tommytoolhire, austenhaines, jonbradbury, Verrico
2nd Row (L-R): jonbradbury, jonbradbury, Tricky, jonbradbury
3rd Row (L-R): Me!, Me!, Me!
- Sigma DP 1, DP 2, and DP 3, Merrill and Quattro Cameras 82,481 photos, 3,128 members
- Project 365 1,940,722 photos, 30,938 members
- Sony RX100 (All Versions) 211,880 photos, 10,100 members
- Flickr Worldwide Photowalks 23,764 photos, 5,089 members
- Fujifilm XF 60mm f/2.4 R Macro Lens 8,059 photos, 1,036 members
- Fujinon XF10-24mm F4 12,967 photos, 1,258 members
- Fujifilm X-T1 299,367 photos, 10,394 members
- Flickr Nottingham Exhibition - Connected 11 photos, 164 members
- Rufford Abbey Country Park 1,982 photos, 128 members
- Sherwood Forest 1,327 photos, 133 members
- Lumia Everyday 15,960 photos, 713 members
- pureviewclub 36,922 photos, 810 members
- Nokia 41,710 photos, 3,042 members
- Vicar Water Park Clipstone 510 photos, 28 members
- Fuji X100 191,814 photos, 10,253 members
- Border Collies 14,602 photos, 959 members
- Ricoh GR Fans 184,808 photos, 5,735 members
- #Flickr10 7,412 photos, 4,205 members
- That Post - The post at Whinstone Lee Tor 28 photos, 16 members
- Nottinghamshire Motorsport 1,115 photos, 41 members
- Bits of cow shots! 3,161 photos, 410 members
- Triggertrap 6,566 photos, 2,567 members
- East Midlands Museums, Visitor Attractions & Landmarks. 274 photos, 21 members
- Artistic and creative dog shots! 60,749 photos, 4,479 members
- All Animal Close-Ups 55,066 photos, 1,150 members
- Barrowhill Roundhouse Railway Centre. 7,379 photos, 228 members
- Notturnal (Nottinghamshire at Night) 5,950 photos, 330 members
- Farm Animals Only 19,884 photos, 1,618 members
- FUJIFILM X WORLD 23,088 photos, 287 members
- Derbyshire & Nottinghamshire Photographers 29,755 photos, 219 members
- 365 Days Project 856,037 photos, 13,773 members
- Fujinon XF35mm F1.4 82,106 photos, 5,054 members
- Fuji X-E1 /X-E2 by Fujifilm 220,272 photos, 6,121 members
- Fujifilm X-mount cameras 490,896 photos, 12,985 members
- 100 Strangers 49,595 photos, 11,766 members
- White Post Farm Farnsfield 91 photos, 13 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 237,431 photos, 9,919 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 4 / GRD IV 36,151 photos, 1,759 members
- Nottinghamshire Cemeteries, Graveyards and Memorials 1,648 photos, 119 members
- Photographers of Nottingham 61,986 photos, 916 members
- Peak District National Park 87,306 photos, 4,119 members
- Leeds 69,208 photos, 3,256 members
- Chickens ROCK!! 17,204 photos, 2,529 members
- Traditional Farm Animals 17,835 photos, 2,236 members
- Llamas! 2,468 photos, 725 members
- Bestwood Country Park 431 photos, 29 members
- Alpacas 5,405 photos, 787 members
- Orange Bikes 1,829 photos, 168 members
- Ginger Cows 993 photos, 267 members
- I Love Goats 8,201 photos, 1,271 members
"Inspirational and aspirational piccies. His obsession with farmyard animals may worry some, whilst making others go "ahh", but just reflects his humour and interest in the Archers."
September 1st, 2008
Paul M. Robinson says:
"Dave Wild, popularly known as 'publicenergy' has been a favourite of mine since discovering Flickr back in October 2006. After receiving his book today from Blurb I felt compelled to write something about this man and his photographic talent. Flickr serves as an excellent showcase of Dave's work and his prolific output never ceases to amaze, inspire and amuse. He has a unique vision and in my mind he's one of the unsung heroes of Flickr."
April 16th, 2008
healthy soup says:
"I briefly met publicenergy at the Big UK flickr meet, exchanged MOO cards and didn't think much of it then.. once home and having seen his infamous buddy icon, I kept seeing him absolutely everywhere! In the comments of random photos, all sorts of group forums and heck, even on the web..! Not to mention the front page of EXPLORE a couple of times.
All in all, If someone asked me to show them a "good" photographer in flickr, publicenergy would probably be in the top 3."
September 3rd, 2007
"Dave has to be for sure one of flickrs best photographers ,
he has a real skill for making everyday shots interesting with his breathtaking infrared and creative lomo photography."
August 30th, 2007
Jenn R Williams says:
"Awesome pics. Mighty lomographs. Top flickrite. Love it when his photos pop up in my contacts pics - keep 'em coming kidda!
...plus he's got healthy respeck for da dawg - very good sign....."
May 15th, 2007
tricky (rick harrison) says:
"Dave's photos are always a treat, and always with an interesting creative slant that keeps bringing me back. He's also a master of Infra-Red, and I'm deeply in his debt for inspiring me to give it a go too :-)
Now, if only he'd smile more ;-)"
January 29th, 2007
Psycho Crow says:
"From amazing IR imagery through muddy faced self portraits to zany antics with novelty crockery, this guy knows how to produce pleasing images whilst still challenging the established boundaries of photography. Not only a great photographer, but a jolly nice chap to boot, and someone I am happy to have shared a beer or two with."
January 28th, 2007
innocent string says:
"One of my top favorites on Flickr. His vision of England is a photographic realization of every dream I've had about the place."
April 23rd, 2006
"publicenergy produces amazing images on a consistent level.
Definitely one of Flickr's most underrated photographers."
December 28th, 2005
Art Ascii says:
"Whether out for a ball breaking bike ride, or casting his eye around his home Dave seems to find an angle. With the shot in the can we get to enjoy his discovery here on flickr.
With his IR shots he often reaches for the sky and delivers, time and time again, superb BW's of a standard that inspires me and that I aspire too.
For someone who professes a dislike of self portraiture he need not be shy as his rugged good looks are rugged good looks!
Looking forward enthuisiastically to lots more of your shots."
December 17th, 2005
"Serious style and awesome InfraRed shots are only the tip of the iceberg. PublicEnergy's photos are so sophisticated it makes my eyes bleed. I strongly suggest check 'em out."
July 5th, 2005
- Dave Wild
- January 2005
- Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom
- I am:
- IT Manager