I was born in Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. Today I live in Saint Paul, Minnesota. For many years I was a professional actor, so I also spent some years living in New York City (1980-1990) and Hollywood, California (1990-2005).
Note: I am also on Flickr as "Preflash Gordon," a persona I use for roller derby and other sports photography. If that's who you're looking for (or if that sounds interesting to you), please visit me there.
I'd describe myself as an all-round enthusiastic person who's been jumping into the creative arts - performing and otherwise - since the late '70s. If you're curious to know more about my screwball life story, by all means pay a visit to my website. It's located at www.ptrob.com
I have loved photography ever since I first bought a beautiful used all-black Rolleiflex SL35 back in 1979 at the age of 20. In the early eighties I traded this in for a Canon A-1, which became like an extension of my hand.
I used the Canon occasionally for artistic photos, but most of the time it was a part of my theatre life (publicity photos, etc.) It's only really now, nearly 30 years after my first introduction, that I've finally taken up photography as a serious pursuit in its own right. In December 2006 I started the ball rolling with a Nikon D200. I immediately knew I was in love.
These days I'm a devoted sports and event photographer who, in my off-time, enjoys photographing nature, people, and whatever other striking things come to eye. Fortunately here in Minnesota there's no shortage of fascinating subjects. This state is full of wonderful places to go and people to meet. I feel very blessed.
Don't let the "pro" tag fool you. Paid or not, I always take pictures for fun and love. I am delighted by the beauty and skill I see in so many photographs here on Flickr. I look forward to many rewarding days ahead, making friends and viewing the world through others' eyes.
** Current & Former Tech **
(I've included strikethrough entries for those tech-heads who wonder what I was using on older photos.)
Nikon D40 (sold in February 2010)
Nikon D200 (sold in March 2008)
Nikon D300 (sold in September 2008)
Tokina 12-24mm (sold in February 2009)
Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8
Nikkor 18-200 VR (sold in September 2008)
Nikkor 24-120mm (on the shelf for now; has AF issues)
Nikkor 35-70 f2.8
Nikkor 50mm f1.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8 VR
Nikkor 80-400mm VR
sb900, sb800, sb600 and Vivitar flashes
Novatron D1500 studio strobe lights (sold in May 2010)
Pocket Wizards (fun!)
I'm Alive and Kicking.
Photos of St Paul Paul (1)
- Babe City Rollers 278 photos, 16 members
- Minnesota Scenery 12,829 photos, 473 members
- Minneapolis at Night 5,381 photos, 553 members
- Minnesota Photographers (Pro & Aspiring) 30,220 photos, 732 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 401,913 photos, 103,621 members
- Harbor City Roller Dames 2,055 photos, 26 members
- North Star Supernovas 4,191 photos, 14 members
- People of the World 864,459 photos, 23,704 members
- B+W 1,017,076 photos, 28,070 members
- Historic Fort Snelling 209 photos, 50 members
- Wisconsin 121,600 photos, 3,460 members
- Textures Only (Creative Commons Textures Only) 13,383 photos, 3,975 members
- MN Strobist 5,941 photos, 527 members
- Grey County Tourism, Ontario 745 photos, 102 members
- B&W 5,373,614 photos, 230,307 members
- Renaissance Festivals of the World 19,420 photos, 293 members
- Minnesota Renaissance Festival 4,007 photos, 223 members
- Strobist.com 606,494 photos, 123,752 members
- Saint Paul Saints 69 photos, 10 members
- Waterloo Region 11,052 photos, 480 members
- North Star Roller Derby 12,704 photos, 75 members
- Decayed yet Hauntingly Beautiful 113,476 photos, 8,246 members
- Textures for Layers 14,926 photos, 16,292 members
- Sauble Beach 594 photos, 51 members
- Beautiful Ontario 77,177 photos, 1,298 members
- Ontario: Yours to Discover 249,213 photos, 4,761 members
- Canadian Beauty 234,120 photos, 5,306 members
- Ontario (except: Toronto, Hamilton or Ottawa) 65,695 photos, 1,823 members
- Cambridge (Ontario) 2,876 photos, 161 members
- Grand River (Ontario) 2,861 photos, 190 members
- New York City 839,592 photos, 58,816 members
- New York, New York 483,240 photos, 17,521 members
- Minnesota 83,892 photos, 2,117 members
- Twin Cities 103,685 photos, 3,208 members
- South Bruce Peninsula 587 photos, 54 members
available birds says:
"Paul is a very talented photographer, and I am excited to get the chance to do a flickrwalk with him and pick his brain and learn a bit from him. His images tell great stories, and he has a very keen eye for good moments to capture. Trust me, THIS is one stream you'll want to keep checking up on."
September 10th, 2008
"I'm so happy to know Paul. He's got some major SKILLZ when it comes to photography and some awesome equipment.
It's really awesome that he's giving me is 12-24mm lens too as a late birthday present. See, that just goes to show how AWESOME he is.
I'm thankful to have stumbled across him on flickr. :-)"
April 24th, 2008
"ARTIST .. that is how I would describe Paul. Not only is he a great photographer but also an outstanding Musician ,Actor, and Writer!! Do your self a favor and take a look at his website. You will come away with respect and admiration for someone that has been able to follow their passion in life.
Thank You for taking the time to answer all of my HDR questions and for all of your feedback. You have helped and inspired me to become a better photographer.
I look forward to more of your photos, your feedback, and one day meeting in person ... Cheers"
June 6th, 2007
- Paul Robertson
- December 2006
- Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
- Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA
- I am:
- Semi-Professional Photographer
- Paul Robertson