Thanks for coming by and taking the time to look at my photos. I am grateful to Flickr and all the photographers here; an amazing inspiration.
My photos have been used in many different ways including illustrating: concepts in an Argentinian math textbook; fiction in a Canadian literary magazine; UNESCO reports on technology in basic education; publisher Thames and Hudson's books on China; travel websites; personal blogs; more than 50 articles on Wikipedia; a Hong Kong noodle shop's walls; and once upon a 2.5 year time, the Flickr homepage. Please contact me if you are interested in using my photos, either for commercial purposes or for your own personal use. I am sure we can work something out.
Also a select number of photographs are available as limited edition, archival quality prints.
“The best pictures, for me, are those which go straight into the heart and blood, and take some time to reach the brain."
- David Hurn and Bill Jay, On Being a Photographer (recommended by down by Missipippi and down and out in Niagara Falls photographer and blogger Alex Soth)
”I think music and art are part of the same thing: It's rhythm, light, air, movement, focus ... and more focus." - Lou Reed (quoted in American Photo)
“I would compare the meditative process of photography with the act of writing poetry." - Patti Smith (quoted in American Photo)
I am enjoying understanding perceptions of how photography can be organized. Geoff Dyer's relaxed, insightful The Ongoing Moment got me started on this trail. The Guardian said about his book that a 'careful reading is rewarded with intriguing observations; on the significance of hats and overcoats, and nudes and gas station, of the way that narrative is always assumed, even in an isolated and static image."
Stephen Shore's pricey The Nature of Photographs uses brevity and intriguing photos to discuss The Physical Level, The Depictive Level, and The Mental Level.
And legendary John Szarkowski, in The Photographer's Eye, writes about the five issues: The Thing Itself, The Detail, The Frame, Time, and Vantage Point.
I am interested in:
documentary photographs that show the spirit and state of the world;
outdoor and landscape photography that captures wilderness in a realistic, visually appealing and technically proficient manner, like my friend pbowers does so well;
taking better portraits; and
the inexplicable appeal of the ephemeral photograph, to which others like bombdog do great justice.
I struggle to achieve a semblance of technical competence. I push my boundaries. I'm trying to balance good photographs, with ones that I know have flaws, but which have a strong story. I'm ok with a bit of post-processing but I'd like my photos to come out of the box pretty well ready to go. Wabi-sabi.
And sometimes, a photograph is just cool or fun.
In 2004 I finished a three year stint living in China working on a development project with sites in wilds of rural Xinjiang, Chengdu and forgotten Ningxia. One of the great things about China is they are always taking pictures of each other and you, so no one fuses about photographers. I live in the UK during the dark days when anyone with a camera was a terrorist, so there are fewer pictures from that era. I now live in Singapore.
My digital equipment:
LED Flash since the SB600 flash batteries rusted and decomposed; the LED flash isn't really adequate
AF-S Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 (2nd purchase after 1st was stolen)
AF Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 (the start of my prime allegiance)
No matter what they say, prime lens are best.
Nikon d70s (battered from my journalistic approach to its care)
Nikon 5700, from whence my first flickr posts came.
Minolta (now a piece of student dorm vintage memorabilia)
But genuinely, mostly, I believe its not the equipment that matters.
Ancient family photos start here.
I post a mix of international relations, photography, arts and in transit notes on twitter. I'm only occasionally successful achieving Hemingway-esque observation and brevity.
I welcome your comments!
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 99,608 photos, 4,681 members
- PSS - The Photographic Society of Singapore 4,076 photos, 137 members
- People of the Forest - Culture, Art & Sustainability 1,408 photos, 48 members
- 1 Million Image Views 7 photos, 44 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 9,405 photos, 1,351 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 617,378 photos, 43,455 members
- Art Gallery of Ontario 879 photos, 358 members
- Seascapes After Sugimoto 858 photos, 702 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,935,024 photos, 86,406 members
- Rodchenko 1,387 photos, 75 members
- Thomas Struth Photography Competition: Family Portraits 115 photos, 39 members
- 100 Strangers 49,703 photos, 11,592 members
- We ♡ vintage & retro photography! 1,472 photos, 138 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,684 photos, 1,837 members
- Oscar Niemeyer 4,476 photos, 852 members
- Urban Sketchers 229,663 photos, 9,738 members
- The Society of Friends 449 photos, 126 members
- art of landscape 2,098 photos, 15,111 members
- Portraits that Matter 2,242 photos, 402 members
- An Idea of Home 4,010 photos, 748 members
- Les Rencontres de la photographie, Arles 2,509 photos, 872 members
- The View Beyond... 19,033 photos, 1,214 members
- some velvet morning 1,808 photos, 1,393 members
- Imaginary Zine 1,649 photos, 2,060 members
- Contemporary Landscape 214,378 photos, 5,108 members
- Nikon Capture NX Users Group 93,208 photos, 4,674 members
- London Flickr Meetups 8,774 photos, 2,991 members
- London 1,042,075 photos, 36,805 members
- Brutalist Architecture (inc. brick, metal and glass) 2,969 photos, 1,974 members
- Strobist.com 609,235 photos, 123,797 members
- Street or Studio 1,979 photos, 2,394 members
- flexplore 5 photos, 461 members
- Lights by Day 1,261 photos, 2,790 members
- Architecture Directory 653,770 photos, 23,760 members
- Moleskinerie 121,701 photos, 23,321 members
- memento mori. 92,424 photos, 9,056 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,114 photos, 77,431 members
- *GreatPixGallery 100 Faves+ 5,498 photos, 1,721 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 33,820 photos, 18,301 members
- Corridas de toros / Bullfights 12,654 photos, 1,412 members
- Professional Photography 75,633 photos, 4,105 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges 151,246 photos, 16,236 members
- Banksy 23,637 photos, 21,345 members
- Cross Processing - FILM ONLY 201,018 photos, 19,806 members
- Photography Books 868 photos, 467 members
- *GreatPixGallery 20 Faves+ 104,639 photos, 3,723 members
- Utata 458,746 photos, 27,692 members
- art gallery 178,437 photos, 5,279 members
- (The New) Ruthless Critiques - [1 Post Per Day] 2,191 photos, 415 members
- NATUREPIX 347,864 photos, 8,282 members
pmorgan doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Peter Morgan
- December 2004
- Singapore, Singapore
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer, CIO, Educator