Thanks for coming by and taking the time to look at my photos. I am grateful to Flickr and all the photographers here; an amazing inspiration.
My photos have been used in many different ways including illustrating: concepts in an Argentinian math textbook; fiction in a Canadian literary magazine; UNESCO reports on technology in basic education; publisher Thames and Hudson's books on China; travel websites; personal blogs; more than 50 articles on Wikipedia; a Hong Kong noodle shop's walls; and once upon a 2.5 year time, the Flickr homepage. Please contact me if you are interested in using my photos, either for commercial purposes or for your own personal use. I am sure we can work something out.
Also a select number of photographs are available as limited edition, archival quality prints.
“The best pictures, for me, are those which go straight into the heart and blood, and take some time to reach the brain."
- David Hurn and Bill Jay, On Being a Photographer (recommended by down by Missipippi and down and out in Niagara Falls photographer and blogger Alex Soth)
”I think music and art are part of the same thing: It's rhythm, light, air, movement, focus ... and more focus." - Lou Reed (quoted in American Photo)
“I would compare the meditative process of photography with the act of writing poetry." - Patti Smith (quoted in American Photo)
I am enjoying understanding perceptions of how photography can be organized. Geoff Dyer's relaxed, insightful The Ongoing Moment got me started on this trail. The Guardian said about his book that a 'careful reading is rewarded with intriguing observations; on the significance of hats and overcoats, and nudes and gas station, of the way that narrative is always assumed, even in an isolated and static image."
Stephen Shore's pricey The Nature of Photographs uses brevity and intriguing photos to discuss The Physical Level, The Depictive Level, and The Mental Level.
And legendary John Szarkowski, in The Photographer's Eye, writes about the five issues: The Thing Itself, The Detail, The Frame, Time, and Vantage Point.
I am interested in:
documentary photographs that show the spirit and state of the world;
outdoor and landscape photography that captures wilderness in a realistic, visually appealing and technically proficient manner, like my friend pbowers does so well;
taking better portraits; and
the inexplicable appeal of the ephemeral photograph, to which others like bombdog do great justice.
I struggle to achieve a semblance of technical competence. I push my boundaries. I'm trying to balance good photographs, with ones that I know have flaws, but which have a strong story. I'm ok with a bit of post-processing but I'd like my photos to come out of the box pretty well ready to go. Wabi-sabi.
And sometimes, a photograph is just cool or fun.
In 2004 I finished a three year stint living in China working on a development project with sites in wilds of rural Xinjiang, Chengdu and forgotten Ningxia. One of the great things about China is they are always taking pictures of each other and you, so no one fuses about photographers. I live in the UK during the dark days when anyone with a camera was a terrorist, so there are fewer pictures from that era. I now live in Singapore.
My digital equipment:
LED Flash since the SB600 flash batteries rusted and decomposed; the LED flash isn't really adequate
AF-S Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 (2nd purchase after 1st was stolen)
AF Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 (the start of my prime allegiance)
No matter what they say, prime lens are best.
Nikon d70s (battered from my journalistic approach to its care)
Nikon 5700, from whence my first flickr posts came.
Minolta (now a piece of student dorm vintage memorabilia)
But genuinely, mostly, I believe its not the equipment that matters.
Ancient family photos start here.
I post a mix of international relations, photography, arts and in transit notes on twitter. I'm only occasionally successful achieving Hemingway-esque observation and brevity.
I welcome your comments!
- 121clicks 18,768 photos, 9,943 members
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 123,256 photos, 4,784 members
- PSS - The Photographic Society of Singapore 4,160 photos, 142 members
- People of the Forest - Culture, Art & Sustainability 1,521 photos, 52 members
- 1 Million Image Views 7 photos, 46 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 10,722 photos, 1,403 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 623,424 photos, 45,791 members
- Art Gallery of Ontario 875 photos, 350 members
- Seascapes After Sugimoto 906 photos, 709 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 2,125,819 photos, 88,737 members
- Rodchenko 1,814 photos, 84 members
- Thomas Struth Photography Competition: Family Portraits 120 photos, 40 members
- 100 Strangers 49,596 photos, 11,767 members
- We ♡ vintage & retro photography! 1,383 photos, 136 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,795 photos, 1,819 members
- Oscar Niemeyer 4,593 photos, 864 members
- Urban Sketchers 261,010 photos, 10,301 members
- The Society of Friends 444 photos, 126 members
- art of landscape 2,091 photos, 15,256 members
- Portraits that Matter 2,202 photos, 413 members
- An Idea of Home 4,064 photos, 728 members
- Les Rencontres de la photographie, Arles 2,604 photos, 906 members
- The View Beyond... 20,054 photos, 1,218 members
- some velvet morning 1,779 photos, 1,378 members
- Imaginary Zine 1,595 photos, 2,028 members
- Contemporary Landscape 240,156 photos, 5,315 members
- Nikon Capture NX Users Group 97,148 photos, 4,575 members
- London Flickr Meetups 8,486 photos, 2,958 members
- London 1,125,136 photos, 37,133 members
- Brutalist Architecture (inc. brick, metal and glass) 2,944 photos, 2,078 members
- Strobist.com 606,570 photos, 123,696 members
- Street or Studio 1,950 photos, 2,357 members
- flexplore 5 photos, 449 members
- Lights by Day 1,254 photos, 2,753 members
- Architecture Directory 771,395 photos, 25,418 members
- Moleskinerie 129,285 photos, 23,402 members
- memento mori. 96,490 photos, 9,001 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,184 photos, 80,804 members
- *GreatPixGallery 100 Faves+ 5,434 photos, 1,842 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 33,352 photos, 18,634 members
- Corridas de toros / Bullfights 13,037 photos, 1,422 members
- Professional Photography 81,043 photos, 4,112 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges 165,542 photos, 16,299 members
- Banksy 23,468 photos, 21,169 members
- Cross Processing - FILM ONLY 199,296 photos, 20,206 members
- Photography Books 681 photos, 469 members
- *GreatPixGallery 20 Faves+ 139,203 photos, 3,976 members
- Utata 465,354 photos, 28,394 members
- art gallery 200,759 photos, 5,464 members
- (The New) Ruthless Critiques - [1 Post Per Day] 2,149 photos, 406 members
pmorgan doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Peter Morgan
- December 2004
- Singapore, Singapore
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer, CIO, Educator