Thanks for coming by and taking the time to look at my photos. I am grateful to Flickr and all the photographers here; an amazing inspiration.
My photos have been used in many different ways including illustrating: concepts in an Argentinian math textbook; fiction in a Canadian literary magazine; UNESCO reports on technology in basic education; publisher Thames and Hudson's books on China; travel websites; personal blogs; more than 50 articles on Wikipedia; a Hong Kong noodle shop's walls; and once upon a 2.5 year time, the Flickr homepage. Please contact me if you are interested in using my photos, either for commercial purposes or for your own personal use. I am sure we can work something out.
Also a select number of photographs are available as limited edition, archival quality prints.
“The best pictures, for me, are those which go straight into the heart and blood, and take some time to reach the brain."
- David Hurn and Bill Jay, On Being a Photographer (recommended by down by Missipippi and down and out in Niagara Falls photographer and blogger Alex Soth)
”I think music and art are part of the same thing: It's rhythm, light, air, movement, focus ... and more focus." - Lou Reed (quoted in American Photo)
“I would compare the meditative process of photography with the act of writing poetry." - Patti Smith (quoted in American Photo)
I am enjoying understanding perceptions of how photography can be organized. Geoff Dyer's relaxed, insightful The Ongoing Moment got me started on this trail. The Guardian said about his book that a 'careful reading is rewarded with intriguing observations; on the significance of hats and overcoats, and nudes and gas station, of the way that narrative is always assumed, even in an isolated and static image."
Stephen Shore's pricey The Nature of Photographs uses brevity and intriguing photos to discuss The Physical Level, The Depictive Level, and The Mental Level.
And legendary John Szarkowski, in The Photographer's Eye, writes about the five issues: The Thing Itself, The Detail, The Frame, Time, and Vantage Point.
I am interested in:
documentary photographs that show the spirit and state of the world;
outdoor and landscape photography that captures wilderness in a realistic, visually appealing and technically proficient manner, like my friend pbowers does so well;
taking better portraits; and
the inexplicable appeal of the ephemeral photograph, to which others like bombdog do great justice.
I struggle to achieve a semblance of technical competence. I push my boundaries. I'm trying to balance good photographs, with ones that I know have flaws, but which have a strong story. I'm ok with a bit of post-processing but I'd like my photos to come out of the box pretty well ready to go. Wabi-sabi.
And sometimes, a photograph is just cool or fun.
In 2004 I finished a three year stint living in China working on a development project with sites in wilds of rural Xinjiang, Chengdu and forgotten Ningxia. One of the great things about China is they are always taking pictures of each other and you, so no one fuses about photographers. I live in the UK during the dark days when anyone with a camera was a terrorist, so there are fewer pictures from that era. I now live in Singapore.
My digital equipment:
LED Flash since the SB600 flash batteries rusted and decomposed; the LED flash isn't really adequate
AF-S Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 (2nd purchase after 1st was stolen)
AF Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 (the start of my prime allegiance)
No matter what they say, prime lens are best.
Nikon d70s (battered from my journalistic approach to its care)
Nikon 5700, from whence my first flickr posts came.
Minolta (now a piece of student dorm vintage memorabilia)
But genuinely, mostly, I believe its not the equipment that matters.
Ancient family photos start here.
I post a mix of international relations, photography, arts and in transit notes on twitter. I'm only occasionally successful achieving Hemingway-esque observation and brevity.
I welcome your comments!
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 97,453 photos, 4,666 members
- PSS - The Photographic Society of Singapore 4,047 photos, 137 members
- People of the Forest - Culture, Art & Sustainability 1,390 photos, 47 members
- 1 Million Image Views 7 photos, 44 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 9,309 photos, 1,341 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 614,267 photos, 42,947 members
- Art Gallery of Ontario 879 photos, 357 members
- Seascapes After Sugimoto 858 photos, 702 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,914,860 photos, 86,171 members
- Rodchenko 1,373 photos, 75 members
- Thomas Struth Photography Competition: Family Portraits 107 photos, 39 members
- 100 Strangers 49,636 photos, 11,585 members
- We ♡ vintage & retro photography! 1,472 photos, 138 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,678 photos, 1,837 members
- Oscar Niemeyer 4,473 photos, 851 members
- Urban Sketchers 227,480 photos, 9,641 members
- The Society of Friends 449 photos, 126 members
- art of landscape 2,097 photos, 15,084 members
- Portraits that Matter 2,244 photos, 402 members
- An Idea of Home 3,990 photos, 748 members
- Les Rencontres de la photographie, Arles 2,502 photos, 869 members
- The View Beyond... 18,974 photos, 1,216 members
- some velvet morning 1,815 photos, 1,392 members
- Imaginary Zine 1,658 photos, 2,061 members
- Contemporary Landscape 212,074 photos, 5,091 members
- Nikon Capture NX Users Group 93,173 photos, 4,681 members
- London Flickr Meetups 8,778 photos, 2,989 members
- London 1,035,700 photos, 36,734 members
- Brutalist Architecture (inc. brick, metal and glass) 2,944 photos, 1,961 members
- Strobist.com 608,999 photos, 123,704 members
- Street or Studio 1,980 photos, 2,398 members
- flexplore 5 photos, 461 members
- Lights by Day 1,262 photos, 2,793 members
- Architecture Directory 643,029 photos, 23,551 members
- Moleskinerie 121,337 photos, 23,321 members
- memento mori. 92,186 photos, 9,053 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,100 photos, 77,039 members
- *GreatPixGallery 100 Faves+ 5,499 photos, 1,699 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 33,805 photos, 18,246 members
- Corridas de toros / Bullfights 12,636 photos, 1,410 members
- Professional Photography 74,732 photos, 4,095 members
- Lonely Planet Photo Challenges -- The 'Ultimate' Final 149,564 photos, 16,200 members
- Banksy 23,631 photos, 21,352 members
- Cross Processing - FILM ONLY 200,449 photos, 19,762 members
- Photography Books 868 photos, 467 members
- *GreatPixGallery 20 Faves+ 100,258 photos, 3,667 members
- Utata 457,770 photos, 27,607 members
- art gallery 176,477 photos, 5,248 members
- (The New) Ruthless Critiques - [1 Post Per Day] 2,191 photos, 415 members
- NATUREPIX 342,777 photos, 8,224 members
pmorgan doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Peter Morgan
- December 2004
- Singapore, Singapore
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer, CIO, Educator