Thanks for coming by and taking the time to look at my photos. I am grateful to Flickr and all the photographers here; an amazing inspiration.
My photos have been used in many different ways including illustrating: concepts in an Argentinian math textbook; fiction in a Canadian literary magazine; UNESCO reports on technology in basic education; publisher Thames and Hudson's books on China; travel websites; personal blogs; more than 50 articles on Wikipedia; a Hong Kong noodle shop's walls; and once upon a 2.5 year time, the Flickr homepage. Please contact me if you are interested in using my photos, either for commercial purposes or for your own personal use. I am sure we can work something out.
Also a select number of photographs are available as limited edition, archival quality prints.
“The best pictures, for me, are those which go straight into the heart and blood, and take some time to reach the brain."
- David Hurn and Bill Jay, On Being a Photographer (recommended by down by Missipippi and down and out in Niagara Falls photographer and blogger Alex Soth)
”I think music and art are part of the same thing: It's rhythm, light, air, movement, focus ... and more focus." - Lou Reed (quoted in American Photo)
“I would compare the meditative process of photography with the act of writing poetry." - Patti Smith (quoted in American Photo)
I am enjoying understanding perceptions of how photography can be organized. Geoff Dyer's relaxed, insightful The Ongoing Moment got me started on this trail. The Guardian said about his book that a 'careful reading is rewarded with intriguing observations; on the significance of hats and overcoats, and nudes and gas station, of the way that narrative is always assumed, even in an isolated and static image."
Stephen Shore's pricey The Nature of Photographs uses brevity and intriguing photos to discuss The Physical Level, The Depictive Level, and The Mental Level.
And legendary John Szarkowski, in The Photographer's Eye, writes about the five issues: The Thing Itself, The Detail, The Frame, Time, and Vantage Point.
I am interested in:
documentary photographs that show the spirit and state of the world;
outdoor and landscape photography that captures wilderness in a realistic, visually appealing and technically proficient manner, like my friend pbowers does so well;
taking better portraits; and
the inexplicable appeal of the ephemeral photograph, to which others like bombdog do great justice.
I struggle to achieve a semblance of technical competence. I push my boundaries. I'm trying to balance good photographs, with ones that I know have flaws, but which have a strong story. I'm ok with a bit of post-processing but I'd like my photos to come out of the box pretty well ready to go. Wabi-sabi.
And sometimes, a photograph is just cool or fun.
In 2004 I finished a three year stint living in China working on a development project with sites in wilds of rural Xinjiang, Chengdu and forgotten Ningxia. One of the great things about China is they are always taking pictures of each other and you, so no one fuses about photographers. I live in the UK during the dark days when anyone with a camera was a terrorist, so there are fewer pictures from that era. I now live in Singapore.
My digital equipment:
LED Flash since the SB600 flash batteries rusted and decomposed; the LED flash isn't really adequate
AF-S Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 (2nd purchase after 1st was stolen)
AF Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 (the start of my prime allegiance)
No matter what they say, prime lens are best.
Nikon d70s (battered from my journalistic approach to its care)
Nikon 5700, from whence my first flickr posts came.
Minolta (now a piece of student dorm vintage memorabilia)
But genuinely, mostly, I believe its not the equipment that matters.
Ancient family photos start here.
I post a mix of international relations, photography, arts and in transit notes on twitter. I'm only occasionally successful achieving Hemingway-esque observation and brevity.
I welcome your comments!
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 65,111 photos, 4,434 members
- PSS - The Photographic Society of Singapore 3,313 photos, 130 members
- People of the Forest - Culture, Art & Sustainability 1,239 photos, 41 members
- 1 Million Image Views 5 photos, 40 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 8,281 photos, 1,266 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 520,302 photos, 35,154 members
- Art Gallery of Ontario 885 photos, 353 members
- Seascapes After Sugimoto 866 photos, 706 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,596,271 photos, 82,667 members
- Rodchenko 1,171 photos, 66 members
- Thomas Struth Photography Competition: Family Portraits 61 photos, 37 members
- 100 Strangers 47,439 photos, 11,013 members
- We ♡ vintage & retro photography! 1,509 photos, 140 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,461 photos, 1,803 members
- Oscar Niemeyer 4,346 photos, 828 members
- Urban Sketchers 190,734 photos, 8,674 members
- The Society of Friends 450 photos, 124 members
- art of landscape 2,119 photos, 14,722 members
- Portraits that Matter 2,423 photos, 350 members
- An Idea of Home 3,856 photos, 743 members
- Les Rencontres de la photographie, Arles 2,397 photos, 817 members
- The View Beyond... 19,461 photos, 1,188 members
- some velvet morning 1,897 photos, 1,388 members
- Imaginary Zine 1,699 photos, 2,072 members
- Contemporary Landscape 177,924 photos, 4,798 members
- Nikon Capture NX Users Group 86,459 photos, 4,726 members
- London Flickr Meetups 8,721 photos, 2,974 members
- London 932,155 photos, 35,412 members
- Brutalist Architecture (inc. brick, metal and glass) 2,374 photos, 1,701 members
- Strobist.com 602,410 photos, 121,874 members
- Street or Studio 2,009 photos, 2,408 members
- flexplore 5 photos, 462 members
- Lights by Day 1,273 photos, 2,823 members
- Architecture Directory 489,490 photos, 20,550 members
- Moleskinerie 116,403 photos, 22,294 members
- memento mori. 87,392 photos, 8,927 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,921 photos, 69,895 members
- *GreatPixGallery 100 Faves+ 5,507 photos, 1,331 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 33,964 photos, 17,357 members
- Corridas de toros / Bullfights 12,277 photos, 1,372 members
- Professional Photography 61,405 photos, 3,945 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- 'Alone2' 130,172 photos, 15,498 members
- Banksy 23,977 photos, 21,403 members
- Cross Processing - FILM ONLY 187,425 photos, 18,080 members
- Photography Books 873 photos, 464 members
- *GreatPixGallery 20 Faves+ 51,484 photos, 2,933 members
- Utata 445,704 photos, 26,138 members
- art gallery 153,247 photos, 5,016 members
- (The New) Ruthless Critiques - [1 Post Per Day] 2,229 photos, 413 members
- NATUREPIX 290,948 photos, 7,564 members
pmorgan doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Peter Morgan
- December 2004
- Singapore, Singapore
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer, CIO, Educator