Thanks for coming by and taking the time to look at my photos. I am grateful to Flickr and all the photographers here; an amazing inspiration.
My photos have been used in many different ways including illustrating: concepts in an Argentinian math textbook; fiction in a Canadian literary magazine; UNESCO reports on technology in basic education; publisher Thames and Hudson's books on China; travel websites; personal blogs; more than 50 articles on Wikipedia; a Hong Kong noodle shop's walls; and once upon a 2.5 year time, the Flickr homepage. Please contact me if you are interested in using my photos, either for commercial purposes or for your own personal use. I am sure we can work something out.
Also a select number of photographs are available as limited edition, archival quality prints.
“The best pictures, for me, are those which go straight into the heart and blood, and take some time to reach the brain."
- David Hurn and Bill Jay, On Being a Photographer (recommended by down by Missipippi and down and out in Niagara Falls photographer and blogger Alex Soth)
”I think music and art are part of the same thing: It's rhythm, light, air, movement, focus ... and more focus." - Lou Reed (quoted in American Photo)
“I would compare the meditative process of photography with the act of writing poetry." - Patti Smith (quoted in American Photo)
I am enjoying understanding perceptions of how photography can be organized. Geoff Dyer's relaxed, insightful The Ongoing Moment got me started on this trail. The Guardian said about his book that a 'careful reading is rewarded with intriguing observations; on the significance of hats and overcoats, and nudes and gas station, of the way that narrative is always assumed, even in an isolated and static image."
Stephen Shore's pricey The Nature of Photographs uses brevity and intriguing photos to discuss The Physical Level, The Depictive Level, and The Mental Level.
And legendary John Szarkowski, in The Photographer's Eye, writes about the five issues: The Thing Itself, The Detail, The Frame, Time, and Vantage Point.
I am interested in:
documentary photographs that show the spirit and state of the world;
outdoor and landscape photography that captures wilderness in a realistic, visually appealing and technically proficient manner, like my friend pbowers does so well;
taking better portraits; and
the inexplicable appeal of the ephemeral photograph, to which others like bombdog do great justice.
I struggle to achieve a semblance of technical competence. I push my boundaries. I'm trying to balance good photographs, with ones that I know have flaws, but which have a strong story. I'm ok with a bit of post-processing but I'd like my photos to come out of the box pretty well ready to go. Wabi-sabi.
And sometimes, a photograph is just cool or fun.
In 2004 I finished a three year stint living in China working on a development project with sites in wilds of rural Xinjiang, Chengdu and forgotten Ningxia. One of the great things about China is they are always taking pictures of each other and you, so no one fuses about photographers. I live in the UK during the dark days when anyone with a camera was a terrorist, so there are fewer pictures from that era. I now live in Singapore.
My digital equipment:
LED Flash since the SB600 flash batteries rusted and decomposed; the LED flash isn't really adequate
AF-S Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 (2nd purchase after 1st was stolen)
AF Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 (the start of my prime allegiance)
No matter what they say, prime lens are best.
Nikon d70s (battered from my journalistic approach to its care)
Nikon 5700, from whence my first flickr posts came.
Minolta (now a piece of student dorm vintage memorabilia)
But genuinely, mostly, I believe its not the equipment that matters.
Ancient family photos start here.
I post a mix of international relations, photography, arts and in transit notes on twitter. I'm only occasionally successful achieving Hemingway-esque observation and brevity.
I welcome your comments!
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 55,846 photos, 4,350 members
- PSS - The Photographic Society of Singapore 3,056 photos, 128 members
- People of the Forest - Culture, Art & Sustainability 1,200 photos, 40 members
- 1 Million Image Views 4 photos, 39 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 8,087 photos, 1,257 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, Politics, and News 497,252 photos, 33,089 members
- Art Gallery of Ontario 885 photos, 351 members
- Seascapes After Sugimoto 866 photos, 704 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,524,804 photos, 81,722 members
- Rodchenko 1,184 photos, 65 members
- Thomas Struth Photography Competition: Family Portraits 59 photos, 37 members
- 100 Strangers 46,761 photos, 10,717 members
- We ♡ vintage & retro photography! 1,508 photos, 137 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,430 photos, 1,800 members
- Oscar Niemeyer 4,373 photos, 816 members
- Urban Sketchers 182,276 photos, 8,381 members
- The Society of Friends 451 photos, 123 members
- art of landscape 2,134 photos, 14,624 members
- Portraits that Matter 2,456 photos, 347 members
- An Idea of Home 3,837 photos, 744 members
- Les Rencontres de la photographie, Arles 2,295 photos, 788 members
- The View Beyond... 19,155 photos, 1,183 members
- some velvet morning 1,926 photos, 1,378 members
- Imaginary Zine 1,711 photos, 2,069 members
- Contemporary Landscape 171,499 photos, 4,704 members
- Nikon Capture NX Users Group 84,221 photos, 4,747 members
- London Flickr Meetups 8,703 photos, 2,963 members
- London 909,291 photos, 35,014 members
- Brutalist Architecture (inc. brick, metal and glass) 2,375 photos, 1,657 members
- Strobist.com 601,414 photos, 121,241 members
- Street or Studio 2,011 photos, 2,410 members
- flexplore 5 photos, 463 members
- Lights by Day 1,275 photos, 2,824 members
- Architecture Directory 462,735 photos, 19,757 members
- Moleskinerie 114,836 photos, 21,923 members
- memento mori. 86,535 photos, 8,884 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,878 photos, 67,468 members
- *GreatPixGallery 100 Faves+ 5,534 photos, 1,269 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 34,111 photos, 16,983 members
- Corridas de toros / Bullfights 12,080 photos, 1,359 members
- Professional Photography 58,948 photos, 3,894 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- 'Stack' 125,864 photos, 15,332 members
- Banksy 23,707 photos, 21,358 members
- Cross Processing - FILM ONLY 185,002 photos, 17,497 members
- Photography Books 873 photos, 464 members
- *GreatPixGallery 20 Faves+ 43,913 photos, 2,783 members
- Utata 441,922 photos, 25,712 members
- art gallery 148,482 photos, 4,952 members
- (The New) Ruthless Critiques - [1 Post Per Day] 2,208 photos, 415 members
- NATUREPIX 281,848 photos, 7,449 members
pmorgan doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Peter Morgan
- December 2004
- Singapore, Singapore
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer, CIO, Educator