Thanks for coming by and taking the time to look at my photos. I am grateful to Flickr and all the photographers here; an amazing inspiration.
My photos have been used in many different ways including illustrating: concepts in an Argentinian math textbook; fiction in a Canadian literary magazine; UNESCO reports on technology in basic education; publisher Thames and Hudson's books on China; travel websites; personal blogs; more than 50 articles on Wikipedia; a Hong Kong noodle shop's walls; and once upon a 2.5 year time, the Flickr homepage. Please contact me if you are interested in using my photos, either for commercial purposes or for your own personal use. I am sure we can work something out.
Also a select number of photographs are available as limited edition, archival quality prints.
“The best pictures, for me, are those which go straight into the heart and blood, and take some time to reach the brain."
- David Hurn and Bill Jay, On Being a Photographer (recommended by down by Missipippi and down and out in Niagara Falls photographer and blogger Alex Soth)
”I think music and art are part of the same thing: It's rhythm, light, air, movement, focus ... and more focus." - Lou Reed (quoted in American Photo)
“I would compare the meditative process of photography with the act of writing poetry." - Patti Smith (quoted in American Photo)
I am enjoying understanding perceptions of how photography can be organized. Geoff Dyer's relaxed, insightful The Ongoing Moment got me started on this trail. The Guardian said about his book that a 'careful reading is rewarded with intriguing observations; on the significance of hats and overcoats, and nudes and gas station, of the way that narrative is always assumed, even in an isolated and static image."
Stephen Shore's pricey The Nature of Photographs uses brevity and intriguing photos to discuss The Physical Level, The Depictive Level, and The Mental Level.
And legendary John Szarkowski, in The Photographer's Eye, writes about the five issues: The Thing Itself, The Detail, The Frame, Time, and Vantage Point.
I am interested in:
documentary photographs that show the spirit and state of the world;
outdoor and landscape photography that captures wilderness in a realistic, visually appealing and technically proficient manner, like my friend pbowers does so well;
taking better portraits; and
the inexplicable appeal of the ephemeral photograph, to which others like bombdog do great justice.
I struggle to achieve a semblance of technical competence. I push my boundaries. I'm trying to balance good photographs, with ones that I know have flaws, but which have a strong story. I'm ok with a bit of post-processing but I'd like my photos to come out of the box pretty well ready to go. Wabi-sabi.
And sometimes, a photograph is just cool or fun.
In 2004 I finished a three year stint living in China working on a development project with sites in wilds of rural Xinjiang, Chengdu and forgotten Ningxia. One of the great things about China is they are always taking pictures of each other and you, so no one fuses about photographers. I live in the UK during the dark days when anyone with a camera was a terrorist, so there are fewer pictures from that era. I now live in Singapore.
My digital equipment:
LED Flash since the SB600 flash batteries rusted and decomposed; the LED flash isn't really adequate
AF-S Nikkor 17-35 f/2.8 (2nd purchase after 1st was stolen)
AF Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
AF Nikkor 50mm 1:1.8 (the start of my prime allegiance)
No matter what they say, prime lens are best.
Nikon d70s (battered from my journalistic approach to its care)
Nikon 5700, from whence my first flickr posts came.
Minolta (now a piece of student dorm vintage memorabilia)
But genuinely, mostly, I believe its not the equipment that matters.
Ancient family photos start here.
I post a mix of international relations, photography, arts and in transit notes on twitter. I'm only occasionally successful achieving Hemingway-esque observation and brevity.
I welcome your comments!
- RUNNING LANDSCAPES 69,401 photos, 4,472 members
- PSS - The Photographic Society of Singapore 3,415 photos, 131 members
- People of the Forest - Culture, Art & Sustainability 1,244 photos, 42 members
- 1 Million Image Views 5 photos, 42 members
- London Cafés and Restaurants 8,448 photos, 1,280 members
- Global Photojournalism; Protest, Culture, and News 538,716 photos, 37,012 members
- Art Gallery of Ontario 885 photos, 354 members
- Seascapes After Sugimoto 866 photos, 708 members
- Nikon Digital Learning Center 1,634,486 photos, 83,119 members
- Rodchenko 1,206 photos, 68 members
- Thomas Struth Photography Competition: Family Portraits 61 photos, 38 members
- 100 Strangers 47,578 photos, 11,087 members
- We ♡ vintage & retro photography! 1,509 photos, 140 members
- Guardian Datastore 1,483 photos, 1,815 members
- Oscar Niemeyer 4,361 photos, 832 members
- Urban Sketchers 194,852 photos, 8,802 members
- The Society of Friends 450 photos, 124 members
- art of landscape 2,119 photos, 14,774 members
- Portraits that Matter 2,411 photos, 351 members
- An Idea of Home 3,865 photos, 744 members
- Les Rencontres de la photographie, Arles 2,406 photos, 823 members
- The View Beyond... 19,655 photos, 1,189 members
- some velvet morning 1,881 photos, 1,389 members
- Imaginary Zine 1,699 photos, 2,069 members
- Contemporary Landscape 182,757 photos, 4,847 members
- Nikon Capture NX Users Group 87,124 photos, 4,722 members
- London Flickr Meetups 8,722 photos, 2,980 members
- London 947,104 photos, 35,601 members
- Brutalist Architecture (inc. brick, metal and glass) 2,374 photos, 1,716 members
- Strobist.com 603,778 photos, 122,189 members
- Street or Studio 2,003 photos, 2,411 members
- flexplore 5 photos, 460 members
- Lights by Day 1,273 photos, 2,821 members
- Architecture Directory 504,764 photos, 20,909 members
- Moleskinerie 117,054 photos, 22,474 members
- memento mori. 87,210 photos, 8,952 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,937 photos, 70,875 members
- *GreatPixGallery 100 Faves+ 5,502 photos, 1,366 members
- fd's Flickr Toys 33,871 photos, 17,544 members
- Corridas de toros / Bullfights 12,284 photos, 1,374 members
- Professional Photography 62,909 photos, 3,966 members
- Lonely Planet: Photo Challenges -- 'Expanse' 131,846 photos, 15,579 members
- Banksy 23,829 photos, 21,405 members
- Cross Processing - FILM ONLY 189,422 photos, 18,347 members
- Photography Books 873 photos, 465 members
- *GreatPixGallery 20 Faves+ 56,461 photos, 3,026 members
- Utata 446,617 photos, 26,412 members
- art gallery 155,423 photos, 5,040 members
- (The New) Ruthless Critiques - [1 Post Per Day] 2,191 photos, 413 members
- NATUREPIX 296,162 photos, 7,640 members
pmorgan doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Peter Morgan
- December 2004
- Singapore, Singapore
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Photographer, CIO, Educator