Hello, my name is Sam!
I’ve been making photographs since I was a kid. My first camera was an old Nikon 35mm SLR, which my Dad taught me how to use. During college, my interest in photography continued to grow–I learned how to process my own film and make prints in the darkroom. When I eventually moved into digital, my passion for photography grew exponentially since I was free to experiment without the expense of film.
Early on, photography was exciting and fun and I still feel that same way today. The world we live in is so incredibly rich and visually interesting. I feel that photography makes me a more thoughtful observer–seeing things I would otherwise miss. With my photography I try and share something about myself, the places I’ve traveled, and the things which interest me. I hope you will enjoy seeing my work.
"Photography commands my interest because I am fascinated by the visual world. I don't know what I would do if I was struck blind! We live in such an incredibly rich and visually interesting world. I feel that photography makes me a more thoughtful observer--seeing things I might otherwise miss. With photography I hope to capture some of that visual richness and share it with other people."
If you are new to my work, I recommend starting with the "forgotten places" photoset. It is some of my favorite and most distinctive work.
Contact me if you're interested in licensing an image or buying a print.
Select photos available for sale at redbubble.
- Your Best Shot 2015 25,823 photos, 44,474 members
- BEST SUNSET AND SUN RISE GROUP 91,650 photos, 12,429 members
- Hawaii Paradise 56,122 photos, 2,708 members
- ★ NEON SIGNS: COLORADO 241 photos, 13 members
- ★ NEON SIGNS: IDAHO 71 photos, 4 members
- ★ NEON SIGNS: UTAH 92 photos, 8 members
- Crossfit 4,260 photos, 496 members
- Black white and grey 66,062 photos, 5,225 members
- PhotoNetCast 1,644 photos, 140 members
- North Dakota 19,079 photos, 661 members
- Autumn / Fall Colors and Themes 98,265 photos, 8,243 members
- Autumn Anywhere 74,804 photos, 5,577 members
- Colorado Trains 2,651 photos, 183 members
- Mesa Verde National Park 573 photos, 143 members
- Modern Collodion Works 2,173 photos, 213 members
- Yahoo! Studios: The Weekly Flickr Photos 78,546 photos, 6,799 members
- Home made negatives 441 photos, 132 members
- Wet Plate Collodion 1,393 photos, 261 members
- Analog Photography 1,976,739 photos, 44,913 members
- Texas Churches & Cathedrals 2,977 photos, 326 members
- History USA 44,818 photos, 715 members
- American History 15,913 photos, 268 members
- Freedom Trail 1,158 photos, 148 members
- Boston, Massachusetts 55,176 photos, 5,579 members
- Pinhole Photography 76,532 photos, 17,477 members
- PINHOLE PHOTOGRAPHY MEDIUM FORMAT 21,917 photos, 1,396 members
- yellowstone 41,936 photos, 3,202 members
- Yellowstone Valleys and Views 10,241 photos, 1,134 members
- CHRISTMAS*A Magical time of the year* 24,979 photos, 3,727 members
- Christmas All Year 16,303 photos, 2,692 members
- Young Photographers Network 43,449 photos, 1,212 members
- World Culture 108,074 photos, 4,016 members
- Indonesia Images 95,229 photos, 5,710 members
- Hinduism ॐ 3,657 photos, 354 members
- Light Paint 50,689 photos, 5,731 members
- Painting ... with Light 19,230 photos, 2,057 members
- Light Painting - The Real Deal 90,551 photos, 13,482 members
- Light painters create their own reality..... 46,280 photos, 4,569 members
- Light Painting/Graffiti 25,304 photos, 3,745 members
- Project Weather 645,361 photos, 92,122 members
- Autumn Whimsy 9,873 photos, 1,536 members
- Worldwide Photo Walk 2013 10,168 photos, 2,046 members
- Scott Kelby's Worldwide Photo Walk - Magna, UT United States 68 photos, 21 members
- ONDU Pinhole 818 photos, 333 members
- Best Photos of the World (Selected Images) 611 photos, 456 members
- Flickr Groups Preview 108 photos, 472 members
- Nikon D800/D800E/D810 Users Group 449,993 photos, 14,914 members
- Deliberate Motion Blur: The Best of the Movers and Shakers! 29,402 photos, 3,048 members
- Bali Ceremony 2,174 photos, 314 members
- Bali Pictures 10,680 photos, 483 members
"Sam and I met, by fate it seems. We both shared a passion for exploring abandoned structures & derelict buildings. One crazy day, a small local website brought us together... Now, several years and countless photography trips later, (how many tens or hundreds of thousands of shutter clicks is that?) we are still getting out, exploring and photographing that which brought us together... DECAY! It has been a long crazy trip, and it has been my pleasure to have my best friend Sam, by my side though it all. The stories we could tell... haha
Sam has a very creative view of the world we see every day. He can turn a scene of mundane every day nothingness, into something that really grabs you, and makes you look twice. His composition techniques, and lighting ideas are always fun and creative. Creating images that have that "draw" to them, whether it is due to the bright vivid colors, the framing, composition, post processing, or a combination of all the elements, Sam's photo's will be ones you will definitely enjoy.
Cheers Sam! Here's to many more years of good times, and good photographs!"
September 1st, 2010
"Men like Mr. Scholes are a dying breed. Not content to shuffle through the mundane, well-kept, and "safe" constructions of the world he seeks out the derelict and decaying relics of our society. To the willing viewer he offers proof that the abandoned world is not devoid of beauty, but rather a vibrant and and insightful window into our history.
Take a page from his book and with an adventurous spirit get yourself lost somewhere; you will find that beauty abounds."
August 25th, 2009
"Sam_ is a true master of the art of photography. He is a constant source of inspiration, and his knowledge of the hidden abandoned jewels is unmatched."
June 17th, 2009
"This guy gets around...and when he gets there he finds a way to get places and take great picture. We haunt a lot of the same places but I have never seen most of what he photographs. Then he pulls out a fish-eye and makes things so dramatic. I love the old buildings and the interiors. Like I say...I have been to a lot of these places and apparently just missed so much. At least I can look forward to going back. There is also a lot of color here. He also seems to hang out with some very beautiful women..."
January 4th, 2009
"Sam's photos are all crafted with careful consideration given to toning, color, light, and the hundred and one other elements that make up a gorgeous photograph. One need only to check out his catalog of work to see that he is very good at what he does."
November 20th, 2007
Marco A. Torres says:
"Sam's work is absolutely exceptional every shot hides a deep abandoned secret."
July 9th, 2007
JUDGE DREDD76 says:
"Sam is a great guy and has a remarkable eye for natural beauty in all aspects."
March 13th, 2007
"Sam is a virtuoso of tone. His best images have a lonely, yet lived-in quality that gives them a sense of deep humanity beneath a dystopian veneer.
Also, he is nice :-)"
November 11th, 2006
"He's probably been to more abandoned buildings in Utah than any other local, and he's proud of it. It shows.
He takes the time to set up his shots and then painstakingly selects the photos that he shares with us on Flickr. It shows.
He has a fabulous smile. That shows, too.
If it's abandoned, boarded up, or cast aside, you'll find it in Sam's darkly cool photostream; there are no sissified photos here."
September 19th, 2006
jon madison says:
"it took me a while to get this, i couldn't think of how to make this concise enough (that and for a while i *couldn't* write him a testimonial. ;-)
sam drives me crazy.
he apparently takes great care in doing his best, and has been an inspiration, getting a look out of that D70 that i didn't think were possible. There's a quality about each of his shots, that i can't even put my finger on, but it reminds me of well produced hip hop. just the right grit and just the right clean. they give me That Good Feeling, regardless of the subject.
Nikon oughtta give him a sponsorship for real.
if there were a big pink star next to his profile, i would have been done clicked it. ;-)
and dang he digs Good Music. that's *got* to be one reason for his excellence :)"
November 20th, 2005
"Sam is the Master of the abandonment, of the forgotten places and things. Like no other, he brings heart, soul and life to ghosts."
November 15th, 2005
_ n a t u r a l _ says:
"Sam is not just a great photographer, but one of the nicest guys I’ve ever known.
His photos can talk about any subject: from his most tender portraits of his family, to his well-known ‘forgotten places’ shots!
He is also a fantastic person that has helped and encouraged me with his sincere and kind words. I must admit that I’m really glad to have met such an interesting person in Flickr. It’s always wonderful to see his smiling icon around.
I’m thinking about going to Utah…! Hehehe!
Thank you so much for everything, Sam! ;-)
October 12th, 2005
"Sam has a way of capturing the light in such a beautiful way on such mundane items, which actually bring out their inner beauty"
May 3rd, 2005
""Sam the man" Sam is a great friend, and has given me the chance to explore diffrent worlds. Maybe its because he doesn't want to get stabed by a hobo, or maybe he enjoys my company. Sam is always inviting me out on shoots, I think we have learned alot from each other. Yes Sam I am scared of heights. WE ARE THE "Modern day explorers" Thanks for the pro account!"
April 23rd, 2005
"Sam is the king of Utah."
April 11th, 2005
Irina Souiki says:
"Sam is one of kind photographer, but also kind and generous. He leaves constructive and insightful comments, even does what many would never do because they're too protective of their "secrets" : teach you digital photography.
His pictures of abandoned, rusted, peeling places are a great add-on to his already versatile photostream... and who knows, portfolio, one day?
Thank you Sam for making me feel welcome on Flickr."
March 28th, 2005
"Observant, relevant, keen and sharp. A fine talent, a great contributor, warm hearted and ever curious. He's very careful with his comments, and this conveyed sensitivity with what he has in front of him is revealed in his work."
March 20th, 2005
"Sam was a big welcome wagon for me on flickr. He's very generous and insightful with his comments -- which really encouraged me to continue to share my photos.
I was initially drawn to Sam's photostream when I saw the beautiful pictures he took of his family, and I have come to admire his photos of forgotten places, doors, and windows, too. He's a very well rounded shooter."
January 21st, 2005
"while a lot of my stuff is just things i find to snap pictures of, sam's photos are all very carefully composed. you can tell he has worked with cameras for a long time and composes everything with an expert eye. he naturally takes the kind of photography that i hope i will be able to achieve someday with a lot of work. :) thanks for the pics sam, i always enjoy them."
January 12th, 2005
"Sam takes some of the best photos of abandoned, run down centres of industry and human activity that I have ever seen. It's very inspirational, and you should all have a look at his work."
January 4th, 2005
- Sam Scholes
- December 2004
- Logan, Utah
- Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Sales / Photographer
- My Portfolio