For anyone wondering why I'm posting new photos only every other month... I was moved to "restricted" because of one photo, improperly marked "moderate" when it should'a been "Restricted" I now have to go through ALL my photos and change them back to safe (98% +...) and re-group them into the groups they fit in. Since I have 9715 photos posted, and many of my groups only take 3 shots a day, this will take quite a while!
64 Yr Old retired long-haul Tractor-Trailer Driver, living in Albany, CA.
I've been a photographer since 1970...
Note: the following paragraph may be disregarded, except as a historical note, as most of the cameras mentioned were stolen in Aug of 2018!
I have used, and still own, quite a number of cameras, including, but not limited to: a Santa Barbara Pinhole 4x5, an Olympus Pen-FT, nine Nikons - a D610, a D40x, a Nikkormat FT2, a Nikon N75, a F4s, an FE, an F3 and a F3HP, and a Nikonos I - two Rollieflexes that are currently out of action, a Pentax SP-1000, a Lomography Belair X 6-12, a Voightländer Bessa R4M, a Leica M4 (currently out of action...) a Pacemaker Speed Graphic 4x5, a Cambo 4x5 view camera, model unknown by me, a Mamiya C3, a Mamiya RB 67, an old Zeiss-Ikon Ikonta 521/16 (6x6cm), a Super-Ikonta 531/a (6x4.5cm) and a Z.-I. Nettar. (6x9cm)
I've posted shots from 23 cameras so far - the additions to the above (and reason I'm no longer using such) are: a Nikon F4s, (stolen, now replaced by another F4s...) Olympus OM-1MD, (fallen out of favor) a Ricoh 500, (borrowed) a Kodak Instamatic 104, (My first camera, long since disappeared) and a Minox M3 DCC Leica replica (not enough Mp for me - and it's low-light capability is non-existent!)
Note: all photos are full-frame for the camera in use (always tagged...) UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED. (I often crop, but always indicate when I do so, unless the picture is an old (pre-2008) scan... when I might have forgotten whether the .jpg on my computer is, or is not, a crop...) When I'm shooting with a vibration reduction lens (Nikon: VR, Sigma: OS, Tamron: VC) the feature is turned OFF, with the exception of my Sigma 150-500mm lens and my Tamron 150-600mm lens, unless stated otherwise. Note that no shots from the F4s or the manual-focus Nikons will have Vibration Reduction active, no matter what lens is on the camera - those cameras simply don't know about VR...
Re: Geotags - I try to always geotag the location of the subject. Exceptions will be noted and will be where I was when the shutter went off. I do not geotag photos taken in my house/studio, when I don't remember even a approximate location, or when the subject of the photo has requested privacy in this respect...
When I post in a caption the line a bus or other transit vehicle is working, I mean the line the vehicle was working on the day that the picture captioned was taken: the transit line(s) may have changed since the picture was taken! I try to indicate when such a change has happened, if I know of the change...
For the vast majority of my pictures of road vehicles, I am one of the following:
(in descending order of picture numbers)
1) Taking the picture from the sidewalk as a pedestrian,
2) Taking the picture from a stopped vehicle,
3) Taking the picture from the median as a pedestrian,
4) Taking the picture from a vehicle where I am a passenger ,
5) otherwise not endangering traffic, pedestrians, myself, or anyone else! (overheads, bridges, etc...) This last is for most of my "parking slobs" pictures, where I'm taking the picture from one side of the parking aisle, of the other side.
For rail vehicles, I am almost always standing by the tracks in a safe location, or in a train station...
Also note: when I cross a time zone line, I don't reset my (digital) camera's clock, or date: I have crossed the international Date Line a few times, and didn't re-set the camera (which does correct for Daylight Savings Time...) any of the times. The camera is always on American Pacific Time, either PDT or PST... (there's also an Aussie Pacific time zone...) Take this into account when looking at the EXIF info from my cameras... The camera clocks aren't really all that accurate, either - I check them about once a year, and the D610 (at least) is fast by almost 3 minutes a year...
RE: photos of sculptures, paintings, or murals; I will take down any photos of same that are deemed to be copyright violations, PROVIDED THAT:
1) The person requesting the take-down Flickr®-mails me,
2) That person tells me who he/she is, and what his/her relation to the artist is. (artists, state that you are the artist...)
3) The person provides me with the date that the sculpture will pass into the "public domain" for the country where the sculpture/mural is located. (Typically 70 years from date of artist's death...)
A note on what I carry when I travel: I usually take the current digital camera, and often have a film camera with me as well... For the Digital Nikon D610, I carry the following lenses: the 20mm ƒ2.8, the 50mm ƒ 1.4, the 28-200mm ƒ 3,5-5,6 (all Nikkors, mostly AF-D's, The film camera may be one of my Leica M-Mount cameras, sometimes more of them, with a 15mm and a 75mm in addition to the standard lens for the camera. (Minolta CLE: 40mm, Voigtländer R4M: 50mm, both ƒ 1.4-1.5's, Leica M4: a 50mm Elmar M ƒ 2.8)
RE:: posting to Flickr®: when I post to Flickr, my usual order is: 1) upload the photo(s); 2) caption the first photo; 3) tag that photo; 4) geotag that photo; 5) put that photo into the appropriate albums (always at least two, camera and subject matter...;); 6) put that photo into the appropriate groups; 7) go back to 2) and repeat as necessary. I would suggest this order for all...
- Nikon 180mm f2.8 2,500 photos, 488 members
- Siemens SC-44 Charger Locomotives 172 photos, 19 members
- Hawaii 81,434 photos, 5,444 members
- Pink Things 2,968 photos, 291 members
- Waterfalls 202,566 photos, 22,961 members
- Waterfalls Long Exposure 77,063 photos, 9,383 members
- Philippines, Republic of the 11,357 photos, 592 members
- Nevada 31,158 photos, 1,025 members
- Foma Film 39,309 photos, 2,731 members
- I Shoot Foma Film 5,134 photos, 246 members
- Tamron 150-600 G2 6,583 photos, 668 members
- Tamron 150-600 Nikon mount 38,997 photos, 1,054 members
- Tamron 150-600 mm 48,518 photos, 890 members
- Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD 36,323 photos, 952 members
- Nikon 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 AF-D 205 photos, 63 members
- Small Mammals 566 photos, 71 members
- Cute and Furry Mammals/Cute Y Furry Mamiferos 2,994 photos, 143 members
- Mammals of North America 6,471 photos, 253 members
- Elmar 135mm F4 346 photos, 63 members
- Portraits / Retratos 342,224 photos, 30,932 members
- Switzerland 317,975 photos, 12,062 members
- Zurich 17,069 photos, 1,136 members
- Austria 126,508 photos, 2,137 members
- Vienna 115,852 photos, 5,985 members
- Rokinon 85 and 35mm f/1.4 awesomness 1,193 photos, 203 members
- rokinon 85mm f1.4 630 photos, 111 members
- Singapore Images 201,409 photos, 7,689 members
- Cactus 63,488 photos, 7,821 members
- Japan Images 931,242 photos, 20,346 members
- Vintage cars... 3,046 photos, 27 members
- Airport: Manila | Ninoy Aquino [MNL/RPLL] 4,226 photos, 76 members
- Mounted Police Worldwide 4,097 photos, 596 members
- Zoo 277,432 photos, 12,229 members
- Police Vehicles of the World 8,230 photos, 47 members
- Mexico City Airport / Aeropuerto Cd. de México 1,152 photos, 61 members
- Airport: Tokyo | Narita [NRT/RJAA] 4,317 photos, 115 members
- Airport: Vienna | Schwechat [VIE/LOWW] 3,868 photos, 80 members
- Schiphol 39,601 photos, 770 members
- Fuji Pro 400H 11,709 photos, 1,950 members
- 100,000 Views Unlimited 100000 807 photos, 327 members
- Airport: Dublin [DUB/EIDW] 3,410 photos, 38 members
- Rolleiflex (120 Film) 18,209 photos, 884 members
- Rolleiflex and Rolleicord 72,408 photos, 6,080 members
- //Rolleiflex T and Rolleicord Va & Vb 5,544 photos, 546 members
- Cemetary Pictures 46,262 photos, 1,441 members
- Landscapes Only 803,701 photos, 38,256 members
- Airport: Abu Dhabi [AUH/OMAA] 85 photos, 38 members
- Lomography Belair X 6-12 834 photos, 24 members
- National Railway Equipment 397 photos, 76 members
- Leica Elmar-M 50mm 7,809 photos, 781 members
THE Holy Hand Grenade! doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Paul Sullivan
- June 2008
- San Francisco, CA
- Albany, CA, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Truck Driver (retired)