Been photographing, seriously, since January 1992.
While my intent is to capture moments in time that can not ever be again as a freelance documentary photography my focus and interests tend toward street and outdoor event photography such as festivals, parades and protest demonstrations.
Just as it is true that the street festivals that I attend and/or document seldom have any connection to my personal history and cultural heritage most of the protests that I document DO NOT coincide with my political persuasion nor spirituality.
Visit my protest photography archives at elvertbarnes.com/protestphotography
Ongoing themes include store windows, public art in public spaces, cemeteries, funerals, ride-by shooting, folks dancing and graffiti / street art ... just to name a few.
For an overview of my archives visit elvertbarnes.com/Overview
You will also find my work at Ipernity at www.ipernity.com/home/elvertbarnes
Payment for use of my images may be sent to Paypal at email@example.com
- Hyattsville Around Town 255 photos, 5 members
- DC Capital Pride Parade 1,992 photos, 77 members
- US Capitol 1,645 photos, 209 members
- US Park Police 85 photos, 7 members
- ACT-UP, Fight Back, Fight AIDS 415 photos, 100 members
- NYC Window Displays 3,430 photos, 89 members
- Out on the streets: Gay signs & notices 583 photos, 142 members
- protest signs 8,153 photos, 356 members
- Gay Political Protest Signs 108 photos, 105 members
- Celebrate Autumn 3,641 photos, 379 members
- traingraffiti 16,689 photos, 158 members
- Emergency Call Boxes 981 photos, 101 members
- Pictures of 1997 32 photos, 3 members
- Adams Morgan, DC 947 photos, 80 members
- Greater DC Graffiti 30 photos, 4 members
- DC Leather Pride 4 photos, 6 members
- MIXTAPE 514 photos, 750 members
- Boxed Food 417 photos, 62 members
- Flickr Heroes 5,890 photos, 2,464 members
- Airport Art 703 photos, 193 members
- Queer Streetart 548 photos, 120 members
- gay street art 7 photos, 5 members
- Shopping centers & Malls 20,084 photos, 1,910 members
- Mount Vernon, Baltimore 2,654 photos, 189 members
- Baltimore Graffiti 1,562 photos, 127 members
- Baltimore City Police Pics 120 photos, 9 members
- From the Train 13,865 photos, 1,118 members
- Press Corp. 403 photos, 46 members
- *Graffiti, Tags and Street Stickers 452,857 photos, 4,513 members
- 2015 Smithsonian Folklife Festival 1,216 photos, 34 members
- NoMA - Washington, DC 737 photos, 50 members
- DC Focused 7,347 photos, 189 members
- Funk Parade 2015 504 photos, 23 members
- District of Columbia Fire & EMS (DCFEMS) 1,072 photos, 179 members
- Outdoor advertising... 135 photos, 34 members
- Prince George's County Fire, MD (PGFD) 454 photos, 130 members
- National Cherry Blossom Festival (Washington, DC) 678 photos, 119 members
- Come smell the Flowers 9,456 photos, 361 members
- International Pillow Fight Day 1,956 photos, 209 members
- Gay Bars 509 photos, 126 members
- March for America 1,004 photos, 47 members
- Si Se Puede! 325 photos, 47 members
- Street Photography Blog 903,846 photos, 32,782 members
- DDOT 200 photos, 15 members
- Maryland State Police (MSP) 476 photos, 109 members
- We Move DC 766 photos, 40 members
- Tuesday Archives 133 photos, 40 members
- Rollerskating 1,705 photos, 342 members
- PoPville Photos 34,780 photos, 1,235 members
- running 35,152 photos, 4,764 members
"If you wanted to know about life in Washington, DC over the last 10 years or so, there are few better insights anywhere than looking at the photographic posts of Elvert Barnes. He literally seems to be everywhere! I am continually awed by his dedication and the quality of his documentary photography. Simply fantastic!"
November 28th, 2013
RW ©™ says:
"I admire Elvert's street photography. His candid shots of everyday urban life in DC consistently intrigue me. I also can't thank him enough for the support he's given as I continue to grow as a photographer. He's definitely one of the good guys on Flickr."
August 4th, 2008
"ElvertBarnes has a way of capturing human moments.
When we look at his photos, we see what was previously thought to be the mudane activity of everyday life with renewed reverence and interest."
March 21st, 2008
"Elvert- Congratulations on fifty thousand plus photos on your site. Your flickr site would be an interesting study for one who studies current American culture. Your photos, whether capturing something significant or ordinary, are an interesting chronicle of the places you are at - NYC, DC, Florida, or wherever. The simple things in life can be most revealing, to the observant eye."
February 21st, 2008
"This also is my first testimonial, and maybe my only one. My partner and I had the good fortune to meet Elvert on a sunny Sunday afternoon on the steps of the Old Post Office in DC, A childhood friend from Houston was visiting and we were roaming around downtown DC. While soaking in the sights on Pennsylvania Avenue, Elvert came bounding toward us with camera in hand. He circled around Bruce and me and quickly asked if he could take our pictures for an essay on tattoes. Flattered, we agreed, and Elvert fired off 8 or so shots, and was off. As he strolled away, he said in passing that we could see the pictures on Flickr, if that was ok. We agreed. That night I made my first visit to Flickr and was far more intrigued by the body of Elvert's work than by the honor of being one of his subjects.
I quickly got up to speed on this man and grasped who he was -- everyman's chronicler of street life in the nation's capitol. One can easily see how poignantly he paints the colorful human life of DC. He has an uncanny ability to capture that which is both strikingly common and at the same time, unique, about the pulse of L'Enfant's and Washington's city.
Elvert showed me how to love DC in ways I had not over my 15 years as a resident. And after relocating to Seattle, his pictures remain my most treasured way to recall the glory of DC. Thanks, Elvert!"
October 3rd, 2006
"I never immeadiately write a testimonial aboutanyone.This is the first time, but I am so awed by this artist....
Well I can say how fortunate I am to come across Elvert Barnes website here at flickr.com. I have been gazing thorugh his sets and he is somehow for me, a Pop artist 21st century, of the ordinary day by day of life and of the world... I love this man's prolific collections.So impressive. Inspires me to get back onto the scene of documentary as art impression. There is so much to see here that it will take me several weeks to really study and absorb and feel his works and by then a whole new slew of imagery will have been acquired..
I am wondering if the world can really see the genius of Alvert and his messages? He is one of my favourites here. Thank you Alvert for putting me on your contact list......."
July 23rd, 2006
John Fulton says:
"I love the way Elvert captures people doing the ordinary. I've always enjoyed "people watching" and I feel like I am doing that from afar when checking out his latest postings. I have been to Dupont Circle before in person, but it feels like a regular haunt of mine via Elvert's lens."
May 18th, 2006
sam j rollo says:
"Elvert is most likely the finest producers of "street documentary" working on Flickr today. he is surely one of the more proficient and ever diligent in his pursuit of the goings on about WDC.
thanks for some very interesting and entertaining insights into the nations' capitol."
March 16th, 2006
Ron Hard C says:
"Besides his very striking photography, Elvert is a very kind and generous man who goes out of his way for virtual strangers. He spent time making me a DVD which involved material that was very timely and of great personal importance to him and to his own life. This is a true gentleman and I'm lucky that he has shared himself with me."
February 19th, 2006
"this guy is one of the most dedicated photographers uploading on flicker. He has an amazing collection of every subject of the sun. Highly recommended.
January 2nd, 2006
Thzami Gamour Rinpoche says:
""We proudly announce that all your projects are protected by us with the allowance of HH the 14th. Dalai Lama. You can always count on the support of ours in a metaphysical, psyhical and physical way.
Welcome on the board...
Ohm Mani Pad Me Hum
Ohm Mani Pad Me Hum
Ohm Mani Pad Me Hum
1st. Kashgapa Thzami Gamour Rinpoche
17th. Karmapa Trinlay Thaye Dorje"
August 22nd, 2005
- Elvert Barnes
- April 2005
- Lexington Park, MD
- Hyattsville MD, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Elvert Barnes Projections