I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Ancient Egyptian Art 24,468 photos, 1,051 members
- Bike Nation 199,343 photos, 15,905 members
- Last Judgment 379 photos, 23 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 19,740 photos, 600 members
- Typography and Lettering 182,330 photos, 29,456 members
- Wooden architekture 1,204 photos, 79 members
- Crusades, Crusaders and Knights. Iconography and Architecture 1,595 photos, 163 members
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,269 photos, 143 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 2,861 photos, 238 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 1,071 photos, 30 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 18 photos, 20 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 691 photos, 22 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 1,053 photos, 10 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,044 photos, 376 members
- Church Effigies 6,120 photos, 111 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,247 photos, 656 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 1,291 photos, 81 members
- carved graffiti 1,740 photos, 218 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 3,603 photos, 164 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 15,297 photos, 551 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 5,202 photos, 350 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 234,652 photos, 5,685 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 202,641 photos, 7,643 members
- Auckland 23,100 photos, 825 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,104 photos, 93 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 4,671 photos, 203 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 2,304 photos, 150 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 3,087 photos, 173 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 98,880 photos, 7,566 members
- New Zealand History 10,195 photos, 145 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 3,301 photos, 166 members
- History : images without words don't document 11,654 photos, 580 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 18,934 photos, 581 members
- Stained Glass Windows 149,976 photos, 4,390 members
- Cathedrals of France 8,159 photos, 391 members
- Gothic stained glass 370 photos, 71 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 4,955 photos, 526 members
- All Churches of the World 6,726 photos, 289 members
- Guardianista 2,364 photos, 165 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 22,105 photos, 767 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 921,291 photos, 27,800 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 32,081 photos, 1,037 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,523 photos, 514 members
- Mosaic Art Source 30,125 photos, 2,512 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 37,053 photos, 1,765 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 83,408 photos, 5,657 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 13,739 photos, 1,900 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,950 photos, 66 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,095 photos, 529 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 1,373 photos, 38 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History