I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Viking Culture 5,554 photos, 2,073 members
- Runes and runic inscriptions 669 photos, 206 members
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2000/FZ2500 3,919 photos, 152 members
- Ancient Egyptian Art 25,889 photos, 1,088 members
- Bike Nation 202,618 photos, 15,864 members
- Last Judgment 391 photos, 24 members
- Typography and Lettering 184,424 photos, 29,566 members
- Wooden architekture 1,413 photos, 81 members
- Crusades, Crusaders and Knights. Iconography and Architecture 1,595 photos, 166 members
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,276 photos, 144 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 2,891 photos, 250 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 1,071 photos, 31 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 18 photos, 20 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 708 photos, 24 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 1,217 photos, 14 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,043 photos, 372 members
- Church Effigies 6,829 photos, 120 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 1,469 photos, 88 members
- carved graffiti 1,777 photos, 218 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 3,639 photos, 178 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 16,407 photos, 574 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 5,193 photos, 353 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 241,107 photos, 5,687 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 210,343 photos, 7,756 members
- Auckland 24,639 photos, 873 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,101 photos, 93 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 5,363 photos, 208 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 2,488 photos, 160 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 3,226 photos, 183 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 100,154 photos, 7,625 members
- New Zealand History 11,206 photos, 152 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 3,436 photos, 171 members
- History : images without words don't document 12,603 photos, 575 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 18,905 photos, 574 members
- Stained Glass Windows 159,892 photos, 4,508 members
- Cathedrals of France 9,020 photos, 410 members
- Gothic stained glass 370 photos, 74 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 5,337 photos, 525 members
- All Churches of the World 8,361 photos, 307 members
- Guardianista 2,291 photos, 161 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 23,897 photos, 769 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 960,790 photos, 28,237 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 32,329 photos, 1,029 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,343 photos, 512 members
- Mosaic Art Source 30,780 photos, 2,511 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 43,786 photos, 1,836 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 86,322 photos, 5,786 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 13,561 photos, 1,883 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,952 photos, 70 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,077 photos, 536 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History