I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Bike Nation 186,571 photos, 15,798 members
- Last Judgment 326 photos, 17 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 18,994 photos, 561 members
- Typography and Lettering 171,100 photos, 27,717 members
- Wooden architekture 830 photos, 66 members
- Crusades, Crusaders and Knights. Iconography and Architecture 1,603 photos, 163 members
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,240 photos, 132 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 3,035 photos, 208 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 972 photos, 21 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 20 photos, 21 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 621 photos, 20 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 796 photos, 9 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,037 photos, 384 members
- Church Effigies 4,519 photos, 85 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,255 photos, 663 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 1,084 photos, 77 members
- carved graffiti 1,509 photos, 205 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 3,301 photos, 137 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 12,814 photos, 488 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 5,240 photos, 335 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 205,656 photos, 5,484 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 178,665 photos, 7,267 members
- Auckland 19,876 photos, 755 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,096 photos, 87 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 4,221 photos, 186 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 1,945 photos, 121 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 2,498 photos, 139 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 90,733 photos, 7,275 members
- New Zealand History 8,238 photos, 131 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 2,954 photos, 150 members
- History : images without words don't document 8,301 photos, 568 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 19,688 photos, 567 members
- Stained Glass Windows 127,333 photos, 4,052 members
- Cathedrals of France 6,929 photos, 337 members
- Gothic stained glass 395 photos, 71 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 3,390 photos, 515 members
- All Churches of the World 4,644 photos, 259 members
- Guardianista 2,499 photos, 167 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 16,080 photos, 662 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 811,238 photos, 26,415 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 30,672 photos, 1,031 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,606 photos, 481 members
- Mosaic Art Source 27,612 photos, 2,454 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 23,260 photos, 1,435 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 64,050 photos, 5,385 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 13,217 photos, 1,908 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,965 photos, 64 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,136 photos, 523 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 1,122 photos, 35 members
- Medieval Zodiacs and Monthly Labors 853 photos, 78 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History