I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Bike Nation 192,863 photos, 15,919 members
- Last Judgment 340 photos, 20 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 19,479 photos, 581 members
- Typography and Lettering 178,213 photos, 28,998 members
- Wooden architekture 1,022 photos, 73 members
- Crusades, Crusaders and Knights. Iconography and Architecture 1,600 photos, 161 members
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,246 photos, 136 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 2,711 photos, 229 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 1,003 photos, 26 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 18 photos, 21 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 640 photos, 21 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 851 photos, 10 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,034 photos, 380 members
- Church Effigies 5,291 photos, 102 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,253 photos, 661 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 1,165 photos, 78 members
- carved graffiti 1,613 photos, 214 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 3,446 photos, 155 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 14,053 photos, 518 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 5,217 photos, 355 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 217,861 photos, 5,577 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 189,251 photos, 7,441 members
- Auckland 21,160 photos, 782 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,108 photos, 91 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 4,396 photos, 193 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 2,142 photos, 132 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 2,857 photos, 149 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 94,722 photos, 7,443 members
- New Zealand History 9,041 photos, 137 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 3,147 photos, 156 members
- History : images without words don't document 9,900 photos, 573 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 18,998 photos, 569 members
- Stained Glass Windows 138,281 photos, 4,226 members
- Cathedrals of France 7,416 photos, 363 members
- Gothic stained glass 395 photos, 71 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 3,664 photos, 517 members
- All Churches of the World 5,177 photos, 275 members
- Guardianista 2,361 photos, 167 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 19,125 photos, 723 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 862,869 photos, 26,999 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 31,362 photos, 1,036 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,598 photos, 499 members
- Mosaic Art Source 28,678 photos, 2,493 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 28,694 photos, 1,605 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 67,815 photos, 5,533 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 13,538 photos, 1,905 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,960 photos, 66 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,130 photos, 530 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 1,192 photos, 35 members
- Medieval Zodiacs and Monthly Labors 894 photos, 82 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History