I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Bike Nation 191,918 photos, 15,915 members
- Last Judgment 332 photos, 19 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 19,442 photos, 579 members
- Typography and Lettering 177,559 photos, 28,909 members
- Wooden architekture 993 photos, 72 members
- Crusades, Crusaders and Knights. Iconography and Architecture 1,601 photos, 161 members
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,246 photos, 135 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 2,700 photos, 229 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 1,003 photos, 26 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 18 photos, 21 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 640 photos, 21 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 844 photos, 9 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,035 photos, 380 members
- Church Effigies 5,186 photos, 101 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,253 photos, 661 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 1,160 photos, 78 members
- carved graffiti 1,610 photos, 212 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 3,426 photos, 153 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 13,961 photos, 515 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 5,217 photos, 353 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 217,217 photos, 5,573 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 188,444 photos, 7,426 members
- Auckland 21,069 photos, 783 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,108 photos, 92 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 4,384 photos, 193 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 2,133 photos, 131 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 2,790 photos, 148 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 94,190 photos, 7,424 members
- New Zealand History 8,974 photos, 137 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 3,132 photos, 154 members
- History : images without words don't document 9,727 photos, 573 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 19,004 photos, 569 members
- Stained Glass Windows 137,391 photos, 4,196 members
- Cathedrals of France 7,384 photos, 359 members
- Gothic stained glass 395 photos, 71 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 3,548 photos, 516 members
- All Churches of the World 5,100 photos, 273 members
- Guardianista 2,361 photos, 167 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 18,827 photos, 713 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 858,179 photos, 26,918 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 31,241 photos, 1,035 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,596 photos, 496 members
- Mosaic Art Source 28,588 photos, 2,490 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 28,150 photos, 1,596 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 67,103 photos, 5,519 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 13,532 photos, 1,905 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,960 photos, 66 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,130 photos, 532 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 1,180 photos, 35 members
- Medieval Zodiacs and Monthly Labors 894 photos, 83 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History