I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
visited 24 states (10.6%)Create your own visited map of The World or website vertaling duits?
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,125 photos, 122 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 2,623 photos, 164 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 870 photos, 13 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 17 photos, 19 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 572 photos, 19 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 606 photos, 8 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,057 photos, 387 members
- Church Effigies 2,997 photos, 63 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,302 photos, 670 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 794 photos, 72 members
- carved graffiti 1,244 photos, 193 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 2,485 photos, 113 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 10,046 photos, 410 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 4,920 photos, 299 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 174,337 photos, 5,191 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 144,428 photos, 6,668 members
- Auckland 13,359 photos, 579 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,006 photos, 76 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 3,943 photos, 169 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 1,612 photos, 100 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 1,650 photos, 115 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 79,872 photos, 6,660 members
- New Zealand History 6,428 photos, 125 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 2,508 photos, 138 members
- History : images without words don't document 5,955 photos, 550 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 14,013 photos, 518 members
- Stained Glass Windows 97,929 photos, 3,574 members
- Cathedrals of France 5,547 photos, 255 members
- Gothic stained glass 384 photos, 60 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 2,994 photos, 510 members
- All Churches of the World 2,573 photos, 237 members
- Guardianista 2,632 photos, 167 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 11,037 photos, 487 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 631,927 photos, 23,872 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 29,216 photos, 1,013 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,446 photos, 413 members
- Mosaic Art Source 24,487 photos, 2,333 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 13,438 photos, 976 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 44,713 photos, 3,946 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 12,606 photos, 1,869 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,959 photos, 62 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,031 photos, 508 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 856 photos, 30 members
- Medieval Zodiacs and Monthly Labors 691 photos, 63 members
- Canon EF-S 55-250 f4-5.6 IS 83,925 photos, 5,431 members
- Art & Architecture romans en France 11,266 photos, 281 members
- People Watching 284,939 photos, 7,897 members
- Seaton High Flats - Aberdeen 114 photos, 20 members
- Romanesque sculpture - Scultura romanica (Post 1 - Award 1) 17,174 photos, 658 members
- Aperture Users 321,015 photos, 11,583 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History