I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Bike Nation 180,485 photos, 15,643 members
- Last Judgment 259 photos, 15 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 17,759 photos, 537 members
- Typography and Lettering 164,143 photos, 26,039 members
- Wooden architekture 757 photos, 55 members
- Crusades, Crusaders and Knights. Iconography and Architecture 1,611 photos, 162 members
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,216 photos, 128 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 2,891 photos, 193 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 891 photos, 18 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 18 photos, 22 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 613 photos, 20 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 733 photos, 8 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,059 photos, 385 members
- Church Effigies 3,947 photos, 76 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,266 photos, 663 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 969 photos, 76 members
- carved graffiti 1,424 photos, 201 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 2,943 photos, 123 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 11,869 photos, 463 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 5,253 photos, 325 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 195,806 photos, 5,354 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 167,987 photos, 7,078 members
- Auckland 17,585 photos, 706 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,089 photos, 85 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 4,008 photos, 179 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 1,850 photos, 112 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 2,234 photos, 129 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 87,980 photos, 7,058 members
- New Zealand History 7,590 photos, 128 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 2,719 photos, 148 members
- History : images without words don't document 7,378 photos, 565 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 18,306 photos, 557 members
- Stained Glass Windows 119,784 photos, 3,907 members
- Cathedrals of France 6,279 photos, 296 members
- Gothic stained glass 395 photos, 70 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 3,250 photos, 516 members
- All Churches of the World 4,332 photos, 257 members
- Guardianista 2,515 photos, 168 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 14,095 photos, 611 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 761,132 photos, 25,732 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 30,222 photos, 1,025 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,657 photos, 454 members
- Mosaic Art Source 26,571 photos, 2,415 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 21,086 photos, 1,326 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 61,395 photos, 5,209 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 13,116 photos, 1,899 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,966 photos, 63 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,155 photos, 520 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 1,078 photos, 35 members
- Medieval Zodiacs and Monthly Labors 728 photos, 72 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History