I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Bike Nation 179,106 photos, 15,586 members
- Last Judgment 259 photos, 15 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 17,345 photos, 525 members
- Typography and Lettering 163,025 photos, 25,752 members
- Wooden architekture 691 photos, 54 members
- Crusades, Crusaders and Knights. Iconography and Architecture 1,612 photos, 161 members
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,217 photos, 129 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 2,882 photos, 187 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 880 photos, 16 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 18 photos, 22 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 613 photos, 20 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 730 photos, 8 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,059 photos, 386 members
- Church Effigies 3,873 photos, 76 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,266 photos, 664 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 953 photos, 74 members
- carved graffiti 1,391 photos, 200 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 2,912 photos, 122 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 11,719 photos, 462 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 5,255 photos, 320 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 193,920 photos, 5,338 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 166,300 photos, 7,052 members
- Auckland 17,389 photos, 697 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,089 photos, 84 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 3,980 photos, 177 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 1,835 photos, 112 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 2,224 photos, 130 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 87,260 photos, 7,041 members
- New Zealand History 7,518 photos, 128 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 2,707 photos, 145 members
- History : images without words don't document 6,880 photos, 566 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 17,666 photos, 554 members
- Stained Glass Windows 118,791 photos, 3,891 members
- Cathedrals of France 6,241 photos, 292 members
- Gothic stained glass 400 photos, 69 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 3,243 photos, 517 members
- All Churches of the World 3,384 photos, 255 members
- Guardianista 2,641 photos, 167 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 13,869 photos, 608 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 751,767 photos, 25,625 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 30,122 photos, 1,026 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,657 photos, 453 members
- Mosaic Art Source 26,410 photos, 2,408 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 20,112 photos, 1,274 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 60,477 photos, 5,142 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 13,113 photos, 1,898 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,966 photos, 63 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,163 photos, 520 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 1,076 photos, 35 members
- Medieval Zodiacs and Monthly Labors 727 photos, 72 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History