I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Bike Nation 191,057 photos, 15,900 members
- Last Judgment 331 photos, 18 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 19,406 photos, 578 members
- Typography and Lettering 177,028 photos, 28,750 members
- Wooden architekture 946 photos, 70 members
- Crusades, Crusaders and Knights. Iconography and Architecture 1,602 photos, 162 members
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,248 photos, 135 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 3,052 photos, 227 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 1,003 photos, 26 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 18 photos, 21 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 639 photos, 21 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 837 photos, 9 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,035 photos, 381 members
- Church Effigies 5,075 photos, 101 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,253 photos, 662 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 1,148 photos, 78 members
- carved graffiti 1,593 photos, 211 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 3,414 photos, 150 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 13,834 photos, 509 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 5,228 photos, 352 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 215,678 photos, 5,571 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 187,694 photos, 7,412 members
- Auckland 20,845 photos, 774 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,115 photos, 92 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 4,365 photos, 192 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 2,120 photos, 129 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 2,723 photos, 147 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 93,570 photos, 7,404 members
- New Zealand History 8,921 photos, 136 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 3,137 photos, 153 members
- History : images without words don't document 9,467 photos, 573 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 19,012 photos, 570 members
- Stained Glass Windows 136,285 photos, 4,182 members
- Cathedrals of France 7,309 photos, 358 members
- Gothic stained glass 395 photos, 71 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 3,504 photos, 516 members
- All Churches of the World 5,042 photos, 275 members
- Guardianista 2,359 photos, 167 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 18,408 photos, 704 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Mark III & Mark IV Group 852,496 photos, 26,857 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 31,141 photos, 1,037 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,597 photos, 493 members
- Mosaic Art Source 28,476 photos, 2,487 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 27,553 photos, 1,582 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 64,932 photos, 5,510 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 13,476 photos, 1,903 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,960 photos, 66 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,147 photos, 532 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 1,175 photos, 35 members
- Medieval Zodiacs and Monthly Labors 892 photos, 83 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History