I joined this site in 2005. It seemed just a convenient way of swapping some photos of a recent trip to France I'd done with some students and colleagues. My interest in photography was really limited to taking snaps of friends and family and of various things I'd seen while travelling.
Since then, little by little, I've made contacts with other people on Flickr and I've become more and more interested in the photographs I've seen them taking.
Henri Cartier-Bresson apparently said that you should expect your first 10,000 photos to be terrible. In this digital age, I'm upping that total to at least 30,000. Until then I'm a rank amateur. But at least I now regard photography as something worth doing for its own sake, and I find it a real relief from the otherwise wordy life I lead as an academic.
I teach religious history and a lot of the photos on this site I take because I think they might be useful in my work or the work of others teaching in similar areas. That explains the preference for quantity over quality!
I chose the the flickr name "Nick in exsilio" because I was living and working in the UK, far from home in New Zealand. Although I'm deeply Europhile and have enjoyed living in the middle of the remains of the subjects I teach, I developed a kind of mid-life homing instinct, and will be taking up a new job in Auckland from July 2009. I'm looking forward to new photographic subjects, but hope to return to Europe as often as I can in future.
As a good proportion of the photos will suggest, I have an amateurish interest in the medieval pilgrimage routes to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Since 1997, I've walked about 2000 km of these. I did all 741 km of Camino Frances in Spain in 1997, then all but the last 100 km of the Chemin du Puy in the summers of 2003 and 2004 (my foot gave out). In the summer of 2007 I started on the Chemin de Vézelay in France and in July 2008 I walked the Via Tolosana from Arles to Toulouse. For the last three years I've also done a few days on a part of the route with friends from Aberdeen at the end of the spring half-session.
A few teachers, lecturers, and non-profit institutions like museums, art galleries and universities have asked if they can use photos for classes, guide books etc. I'm delighted for them to do so. If you feel like it, email me, because I'm always interested to hear how other people are using images in their work, but it's not compulsory.
However, in the extremely unlikely event that you wish to use the photos to make pots of money, I might ask you to make a modest donation to some charity.
Photos of Nick in exsilio (2)
- Bike Nation 183,362 photos, 15,729 members
- Last Judgment 317 photos, 17 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 18,682 photos, 552 members
- Typography and Lettering 167,288 photos, 26,867 members
- Wooden architekture 898 photos, 61 members
- Crusades, Crusaders and Knights. Iconography and Architecture 1,607 photos, 161 members
- Visibile Parlare - Greek inscriptions 1,219 photos, 130 members
- Civilizations of the Ancient Near East 2,908 photos, 200 members
- Royalty-Free Images for Biblical Studies 969 photos, 20 members
- PhotoSoc UoA 20 photos, 21 members
- Empty tomb and Resurrection 617 photos, 20 members
- Late Gothic woodcarving 773 photos, 9 members
- Rugby World Cup 2011 3,059 photos, 382 members
- Church Effigies 4,231 photos, 77 members
- The People's Royal Wedding Album 1,263 photos, 664 members
- New Zealand Country Churches 1,034 photos, 77 members
- carved graffiti 1,462 photos, 201 members
- Architecture Iconography in Sacred Art (read the rules) 3,194 photos, 131 members
- Renaissance/Renacimiento/Rinascimento 12,368 photos, 475 members
- Pittura medievale - Medieval paint 5,252 photos, 333 members
- Canon EOS 7D Users Group 200,236 photos, 5,408 members
- New Zealand ~ Aotearoa 173,044 photos, 7,144 members
- Auckland 18,277 photos, 734 members
- Visibile Parlare - Medieval inscriptions 1,096 photos, 85 members
- Architecture of New Zealand 4,095 photos, 182 members
- Early Christian Art and Architecture 1,888 photos, 114 members
- Heritage New Zealand Images Project 2,410 photos, 132 members
- Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L (IS) USM 89,368 photos, 7,167 members
- New Zealand History 7,865 photos, 129 members
- Auckland Digital Photography Group 2,757 photos, 149 members
- History : images without words don't document 7,748 photos, 567 members
- Te Ara - the Encyclopedia of New Zealand 19,535 photos, 565 members
- Stained Glass Windows 124,061 photos, 3,987 members
- Cathedrals of France 6,431 photos, 309 members
- Gothic stained glass 395 photos, 71 members
- Folk Arts - Arte Popular 3,305 photos, 516 members
- All Churches of the World 4,511 photos, 261 members
- Guardianista 2,496 photos, 167 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM 14,945 photos, 639 members
- Canon EOS 5D Mark II and EOS 5D Mark III Group 784,715 photos, 26,059 members
- n z . f l i c k r . m e e t u p s . [ n z f m ] 30,396 photos, 1,026 members
- Manuscripta mediaevalia 3,654 photos, 465 members
- Mosaic Art Source 26,994 photos, 2,430 members
- Wild Flowers Everwhere 22,621 photos, 1,389 members
- Color: DEEP, DARK, RICH, VIBRANT! 62,808 photos, 5,307 members
- Canon Speedlite 430EX 13,104 photos, 1,904 members
- Marischal College, Aberdeen 1,965 photos, 64 members
- Visible words - Visibile parlare 6,145 photos, 522 members
- Roof Bosses In Churches 1,092 photos, 35 members
- Medieval Zodiacs and Monthly Labors 750 photos, 76 members
Nick in exsilio doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Nick Thompson
- June 2005
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- I am:
- Lecturer in Church History