Visual cartographer of the psychogeographic landscape.
I find Flickr a valuable testing ground - there's all sorts on here, and it's not a "best of", although some of my favourite photos are featured in the Portfolio set.
**** For a better view, please see my website (up since 2003) or my portfolio on In-Public ****
Main web site:
Portfolios on in-public.com
Visit my blog:
All the photos on Flickr and on my main website were taken during the period 2003-2016.
I have participated in group shows at Photofusion, London; Third Floor Gallery, Cardiff; Contributed Studio for the Arts, Berlin; Museum of London (plus accompanying book); Format Photography Festival, Derby; Galerie Hertz, Louisville, USA; Fundacja.DOC, Warsaw; The Museum of the City of New York; International Photography Festival #2, Tel Aviv; and Thailand Creative & Design Center, Bangkok. Phew.
In addition, I have had five solo shows around the UK.
I have a 6-page spread and profile in the Thames & Hudson Street Photography Now book, currently residing in a Waterstones near you (probably).
Please note that any rude/derogatory/libellous comments regarding people in the photos will be deleted!
I took these photos especially for you.
- Bestival 2018 - Si and Paul 30 photos, 2 members
- London SP Workshop, 1 July 2017 25 photos, 4 members
- Down by the River - Street Photography Competition 59 photos, 597 members
- Bath Street Photo Workshop, 27 May 2017 73 photos, 7 members
- Bath Street Photo Workshop, 27 July 2017 0 photos, 1 member
- Bath - Roman City and all that 15,160 photos, 893 members
- London SP Workshop, 29 April 2017 5 photos, 6 members
- London SP Workshop, 8 April 2017 36 photos, 8 members
- Bath SP Workshop, 25 March 2017 62 photos, 6 members
- Images of Bath 30,679 photos, 2,114 members
- London street photography, 18 February 2017 59 photos, 5 members
- Street Sequence 45 photos, 658 members
- Brussels Walk, Saturday 29 October 2016 27 photos, 6 members
- Rambles 182 photos, 560 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,191 photos, 81,344 members
- Bath Spa street photography, 1st October 2016 14 photos, 5 members
- Brighton Street Photography, 14 May 2016 31 photos, 5 members
- Street & Repeat - 106 1,630 photos, 723 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 949,221 photos, 15,794 members
- NICE... 2,470 photos, 746 members
- SPNC - Year 5 - June #06 79 photos, 102 members
- Global Street Photography 34,478 photos, 1,793 members
- Street & Repeat - 105 - curated 174 photos, 312 members
- /Under Construction\ Street Photography Competition 58 photos, 777 members
- Street & Repeat - 105 1,604 photos, 554 members
- 26 by 26 1,250 photos, 351 members
- August Bournemouth Photo Walks 9 photos, 1 member
- Brighton Streets 810 photos, 272 members
- Leisure time, Then and Now 40 photos, 4 members
- Mission Miniclick 15 photos, 25 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 581 photos, 2,731 members
- Fuji X10, X20 and X30 121,376 photos, 6,966 members
- (SPUK) Street Photography UK 980 photos, 703 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 1,044 photos, 342 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - # 01 168 photos, 267 members
- Aspiring Street Photographers 319,479 photos, 9,616 members
- Instruction #37 208 photos, 286 members
- Instruction #35 203 photos, 269 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 238,696 photos, 9,956 members
- RICOH GR Digital II (GRD2) 47,931 photos, 2,409 members
- Instruction #28 182 photos, 287 members
- Instruction #27 212 photos, 322 members
- Instruction #25 192 photos, 410 members
- Instruction #24 202 photos, 309 members
- The New Forest Show 0 photos, 1 member
- Finepix X100 and X100s 167,634 photos, 4,863 members
- Fuji X100 192,951 photos, 10,262 members
- Instruction #21 210 photos, 386 members
- Instruction #20 227 photos, 364 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 2,987 photos, 458 members
John Goldsmith says:
"A crowd favourite. Paul is one of mine too. Consistently fantastic!"
July 27th, 2008
Hughes Léglise-Bataille says:
"Paul is one of a handful of photographers whose work can achieve that very rare quality of making you laugh and marvel like a 10-year old. He is also a keen and sensitive observer, able to isolate the magic in the most mundane situations, and capture hidden street rythms in precise compositions."
July 13th, 2008
"Pauls photos offer a fresh perspective of the world, he is the poet laureate of the seaside, capturing an elderly lady reclining in a deckchair, a man in tweeds laughing at a Punch and Judy show.
He uses a fresh language to express the constant state of anxiety as the holidaymakers go about there staged leisure, every photo looks choreographed in a dazzling display of enigmatic composition and unintentional humour, he is just as good as Martin Parr. sheer brilliance"
July 15th, 2007
"Paul has a wonderful and charming way of revealing the world to us. His work can be painterly or often surreal, but always revealing in a delightful manner."
May 26th, 2007
"Straight up genius!"
November 19th, 2006
"Paul must be the love-child of Tony Ray-Jones. No one in the last thirty years has managed to get such a cast of classic British characters to play out scene after scene of perfectly deadpan, perfectly composed playlets as we have here in this stream. Does he make all this up? No. Too good to be invented.."
October 26th, 2006
Dan Sumption says:
"Paul has an incredible eye for the humorous details which pass most of us by every day. With his humour, his bright palette and his love of quintessentially English pastimes (seaside treats and country fairs), there are obvious similarities between his work and that of Martin Parr. The comparison is valid (and praise in itself) but Paul has a style that is all his own. And he has more photos of road cones than Martin."
October 17th, 2006
- Paul Russell
- April 2005
- I am: