Visual cartographer of the psychogeographic landscape.
I use Flickr as a valuable testing ground - there's all sorts on here, and it's not a "best of", although some of my favourite photos are featured in the Portfolio set.
**** For a better view, please see my website (up since 2003) or my portfolio on In-Public ****
Main web site:
Portfolios on in-public.com
Visit my blog:
All the photos on Flickr and on my main website were taken during the period 2003-2013.
In the past 3 years I have participated in group shows at Photofusion, London; Third Floor Gallery, Cardiff; Contributed Studio for the Arts, Berlin; Museum of London (plus accompanying book); Format Photography Festival, Derby; Galerie Hertz, Louisville, USA; Fundacja.DOC, Warsaw; The Museum of the City of New York; International Photography Festival #2, Tel Aviv; and Thailand Creative & Design Center, Bangkok. Phew.
In addition, I have had five solo shows around the UK.
I have a 6-page spread and profile in the Thames & Hudson Street Photography Now book, currently residing in a Waterstones near you (probably).
Please note that any rude/derogatory/libellous comments regarding people in the photos will be deleted!
I took these photos especially for you.
- Close , but no cigar 943 photos, 249 members
- SPNC - Year 5 - June #06 96 photos, 120 members
- Global Street Photography 5,584 photos, 921 members
- Street & Repeat - 105 - curated 145 photos, 193 members
- /Under Construction\ Street Photography Competition 63 photos, 667 members
- Street & Repeat - 105 1,616 photos, 586 members
- 26 by 26 1,413 photos, 386 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,931 photos, 70,815 members
- August Bournemouth Photo Walks 9 photos, 1 member
- Brighton Streets 849 photos, 273 members
- Leisure time, Then and Now 40 photos, 4 members
- Mission Miniclick 15 photos, 28 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 620 photos, 2,433 members
- Fuji X10, X20 and X30 96,338 photos, 6,404 members
- (SPUK) Street Photography UK 539 photos, 505 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 726 photos, 285 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - # 01 180 photos, 277 members
- Aspiring Street Photographers 193,353 photos, 7,454 members
- Instruction #37 224 photos, 300 members
- Instruction #35 216 photos, 280 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 205,513 photos, 9,195 members
- RICOH GR Digital II (GRD2) 45,838 photos, 1,964 members
- Instruction #28 193 photos, 299 members
- Instruction #27 222 photos, 333 members
- Instruction #25 201 photos, 429 members
- Instruction #24 211 photos, 319 members
- The New Forest Show 0 photos, 1 member
- Finepix X100 and X100s 146,023 photos, 4,791 members
- Fuji X100 162,353 photos, 9,596 members
- Instruction #21 219 photos, 399 members
- Instruction #20 238 photos, 381 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,124 photos, 412 members
- Instruction #18 267 photos, 455 members
- Instruction #16 194 photos, 434 members
- Instruction #15 227 photos, 417 members
- Instruction #14 200 photos, 333 members
- Instruction #13 187 photos, 320 members
- Instruction #11 179 photos, 362 members
- Hardcore Seagull Photography (HCSGP) 102 photos, 150 members
- Instruction #10 245 photos, 439 members
- Right Here, Right Now 2,532 photos, 129 members
- Instruction #9 254 photos, 488 members
- Instruction #8 259 photos, 484 members
- Instruction #7 231 photos, 432 members
- Instruction #4 210 photos, 564 members
- Instruction #3 247 photos, 616 members
- Instruction #2 272 photos, 850 members
- Instruction #1 338 photos, 1,464 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 3,130 photos, 1,145 members
- Truth Magazine 5 photos, 198 members
John Goldsmith says:
"A crowd favourite. Paul is one of mine too. Consistently fantastic!"
July 27th, 2008
Hughes Léglise-Bataille says:
"Paul is one of a handful of photographers whose work can achieve that very rare quality of making you laugh and marvel like a 10-year old. He is also a keen and sensitive observer, able to isolate the magic in the most mundane situations, and capture hidden street rythms in precise compositions."
July 13th, 2008
"Pauls photos offer a fresh perspective of the world, he is the poet laureate of the seaside, capturing an elderly lady reclining in a deckchair, a man in tweeds laughing at a Punch and Judy show.
He uses a fresh language to express the constant state of anxiety as the holidaymakers go about there staged leisure, every photo looks choreographed in a dazzling display of enigmatic composition and unintentional humour, he is just as good as Martin Parr. sheer brilliance"
July 15th, 2007
"Paul has a wonderful and charming way of revealing the world to us. His work can be painterly or often surreal, but always revealing in a delightful manner."
May 26th, 2007
"Straight up genius!"
November 19th, 2006
"Paul must be the love-child of Tony Ray-Jones. No one in the last thirty years has managed to get such a cast of classic British characters to play out scene after scene of perfectly deadpan, perfectly composed playlets as we have here in this stream. Does he make all this up? No. Too good to be invented.."
October 26th, 2006
Dan Sumption says:
"Paul has an incredible eye for the humorous details which pass most of us by every day. With his humour, his bright palette and his love of quintessentially English pastimes (seaside treats and country fairs), there are obvious similarities between his work and that of Martin Parr. The comparison is valid (and praise in itself) but Paul has a style that is all his own. And he has more photos of road cones than Martin."
October 17th, 2006
- Paul Russell
- April 2005
- I am: