Visual cartographer of the psychogeographic landscape.
I use Flickr as a valuable testing ground - there's all sorts on here, and it's not a "best of", although some of my favourite photos are featured in the Portfolio set.
Please see my website (up since 2003) or my portfolio on In-Public (the second gallery).
Main web site:
Portfolios on in-public.com
Visit my blog:
All the photos on Flickr and on my main website were taken during the period 2003-2013.
In the past 3 years I have participated in group shows at Photofusion, London; Third Floor Gallery, Cardiff; Contributed Studio for the Arts, Berlin; Museum of London (plus accompanying book); Format Photography Festival, Derby; Galerie Hertz, Louisville, USA; Fundacja.DOC, Warsaw; The Museum of the City of New York; International Photography Festival #2, Tel Aviv; and Thailand Creative & Design Center, Bangkok. Phew.
In addition, I have had five solo shows around the UK.
I have a 6-page spread and profile in the Thames & Hudson Street Photography Now book, currently residing in a Waterstones near you (probably).
Please note that any rude/derogatory/libellous comments regarding people in the photos will be deleted!
I took these photos especially for you.
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,864 photos, 59,496 members
- August Bournemouth Photo Walks 9 photos, 1 member
- Brighton Streets 900 photos, 241 members
- Leisure time, Then and Now 39 photos, 4 members
- Mission Miniclick 15 photos, 28 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 534 photos, 1,800 members
- Fuji X10 & X20 64,590 photos, 5,039 members
- (SPUK) Street Photography UK 537 photos, 342 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 433 photos, 216 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - # 01 188 photos, 288 members
- Aspiring Street Photographers 97,941 photos, 4,440 members
- Instruction #37 237 photos, 321 members
- Instruction #35 227 photos, 297 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 166,088 photos, 7,839 members
- RICOH GR Digital II (GRD2) 45,298 photos, 1,899 members
- Instruction #28 200 photos, 318 members
- Instruction #27 227 photos, 356 members
- Instruction #25 210 photos, 447 members
- Instruction #24 224 photos, 344 members
- The New Forest Show 0 photos, 1 member
- Finepix X100 and X100s 102,900 photos, 4,085 members
- Fuji X100 127,862 photos, 8,321 members
- Instruction #21 232 photos, 416 members
- Instruction #20 253 photos, 398 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,221 photos, 382 members
- Instruction #18 280 photos, 473 members
- Instruction #16 202 photos, 447 members
- Instruction #15 237 photos, 434 members
- Instruction #14 219 photos, 347 members
- Instruction #13 195 photos, 334 members
- Instruction #11 187 photos, 380 members
- Hardcore Seagull Photography (HCSGP) 102 photos, 127 members
- Instruction #10 257 photos, 463 members
- Right Here, Right Now 1,495 photos, 118 members
- Instruction #9 270 photos, 515 members
- Instruction #8 270 photos, 503 members
- Instruction #7 243 photos, 450 members
- Instruction #4 224 photos, 583 members
- Instruction #3 260 photos, 632 members
- Instruction #2 283 photos, 877 members
- Instruction #1 353 photos, 1,503 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 2,803 photos, 1,161 members
- Truth Magazine 5 photos, 205 members
- Add the colour 537 photos, 59 members
- Indoor 'Street' Shooting 2,566 photos, 406 members
- Bridport & West Bay 757 photos, 92 members
- 10 Years of Tate Modern 514 photos, 494 members
- In Camera 88 photos, 279 members
- Street Reverb Magazine 66 photos, 570 members
- theprintspace 37,796 photos, 2,471 members
John Goldsmith says:
"A crowd favourite. Paul is one of mine too. Consistently fantastic!"
27th July, 2008
Hughes Léglise-Bataille says:
"Paul is one of a handful of photographers whose work can achieve that very rare quality of making you laugh and marvel like a 10-year old. He is also a keen and sensitive observer, able to isolate the magic in the most mundane situations, and capture hidden street rythms in precise compositions."
13th July, 2008
"Pauls photos offer a fresh perspective of the world, he is the poet laureate of the seaside, capturing an elderly lady reclining in a deckchair, a man in tweeds laughing at a Punch and Judy show.
He uses a fresh language to express the constant state of anxiety as the holidaymakers go about there staged leisure, every photo looks choreographed in a dazzling display of enigmatic composition and unintentional humour, he is just as good as Martin Parr. sheer brilliance"
15th July, 2007
"Paul has a wonderful and charming way of revealing the world to us. His work can be painterly or often surreal, but always revealing in a delightful manner."
26th May, 2007
"Straight up genius!"
19th November, 2006
"Paul must be the love-child of Tony Ray-Jones. No one in the last thirty years has managed to get such a cast of classic British characters to play out scene after scene of perfectly deadpan, perfectly composed playlets as we have here in this stream. Does he make all this up? No. Too good to be invented.."
26th October, 2006
Dan Sumption says:
"Paul has an incredible eye for the humorous details which pass most of us by every day. With his humour, his bright palette and his love of quintessentially English pastimes (seaside treats and country fairs), there are obvious similarities between his work and that of Martin Parr. The comparison is valid (and praise in itself) but Paul has a style that is all his own. And he has more photos of road cones than Martin."
17th October, 2006
- Paul Russell
- April 2005
- I am: