Visual cartographer of the psychogeographic landscape.
I use Flickr as a valuable testing ground - there's all sorts on here, and it's not a "best of", although some of my favourite photos are featured in the Portfolio set.
**** For a better view, please see my website (up since 2003) or my portfolio on In-Public ****
Main web site:
Portfolios on in-public.com
Visit my blog:
All the photos on Flickr and on my main website were taken during the period 2003-2013.
In the past 3 years I have participated in group shows at Photofusion, London; Third Floor Gallery, Cardiff; Contributed Studio for the Arts, Berlin; Museum of London (plus accompanying book); Format Photography Festival, Derby; Galerie Hertz, Louisville, USA; Fundacja.DOC, Warsaw; The Museum of the City of New York; International Photography Festival #2, Tel Aviv; and Thailand Creative & Design Center, Bangkok. Phew.
In addition, I have had five solo shows around the UK.
I have a 6-page spread and profile in the Thames & Hudson Street Photography Now book, currently residing in a Waterstones near you (probably).
Please note that any rude/derogatory/libellous comments regarding people in the photos will be deleted!
I took these photos especially for you.
- Street Sequence 4 photos, 256 members
- Brussels Walk, Saturday 29 October 2016 28 photos, 4 members
- Rambles 190 photos, 356 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 3,090 photos, 76,602 members
- Bath Spa street photography, 1st October 2016 14 photos, 5 members
- Brighton Street Photography, 14 May 2016 31 photos, 6 members
- Street & Repeat - 106 1,552 photos, 761 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 452,220 photos, 8,868 members
- Close , but no cigar 1,517 photos, 450 members
- SPNC - Year 5 - June #06 87 photos, 111 members
- Global Street Photography 16,737 photos, 1,350 members
- Street & Repeat - 105 - curated 182 photos, 274 members
- /Under Construction\ Street Photography Competition 61 photos, 694 members
- Street & Repeat - 105 1,820 photos, 614 members
- 26 by 26 1,367 photos, 372 members
- August Bournemouth Photo Walks 9 photos, 1 member
- Brighton Streets 830 photos, 274 members
- Leisure time, Then and Now 40 photos, 4 members
- Mission Miniclick 15 photos, 26 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 591 photos, 2,617 members
- Fuji X10, X20 and X30 112,204 photos, 6,893 members
- (SPUK) Street Photography UK 517 photos, 572 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 812 photos, 330 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - # 01 174 photos, 270 members
- Aspiring Street Photographers 258,614 photos, 8,767 members
- Instruction #37 216 photos, 296 members
- Instruction #35 210 photos, 278 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 223,721 photos, 9,627 members
- RICOH GR Digital II (GRD2) 47,019 photos, 2,131 members
- Instruction #28 188 photos, 296 members
- Instruction #27 217 photos, 329 members
- Instruction #25 197 photos, 423 members
- Instruction #24 207 photos, 316 members
- The New Forest Show 0 photos, 1 member
- Finepix X100 and X100s 159,277 photos, 4,870 members
- Fuji X100 176,607 photos, 9,992 members
- Instruction #21 215 photos, 396 members
- Instruction #20 232 photos, 376 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,147 photos, 453 members
- Instruction #18 263 photos, 453 members
- Instruction #16 191 photos, 429 members
- Instruction #15 224 photos, 414 members
- Instruction #14 195 photos, 329 members
- Instruction #13 184 photos, 316 members
- Instruction #11 176 photos, 358 members
- Hardcore Seagull Photography (HCSGP) 99 photos, 154 members
- Instruction #10 241 photos, 435 members
- Right Here, Right Now 3,155 photos, 134 members
- Instruction #9 249 photos, 485 members
- Instruction #8 253 photos, 479 members
John Goldsmith says:
"A crowd favourite. Paul is one of mine too. Consistently fantastic!"
July 27th, 2008
Hughes Léglise-Bataille says:
"Paul is one of a handful of photographers whose work can achieve that very rare quality of making you laugh and marvel like a 10-year old. He is also a keen and sensitive observer, able to isolate the magic in the most mundane situations, and capture hidden street rythms in precise compositions."
July 13th, 2008
"Pauls photos offer a fresh perspective of the world, he is the poet laureate of the seaside, capturing an elderly lady reclining in a deckchair, a man in tweeds laughing at a Punch and Judy show.
He uses a fresh language to express the constant state of anxiety as the holidaymakers go about there staged leisure, every photo looks choreographed in a dazzling display of enigmatic composition and unintentional humour, he is just as good as Martin Parr. sheer brilliance"
July 15th, 2007
"Paul has a wonderful and charming way of revealing the world to us. His work can be painterly or often surreal, but always revealing in a delightful manner."
May 26th, 2007
"Straight up genius!"
November 19th, 2006
"Paul must be the love-child of Tony Ray-Jones. No one in the last thirty years has managed to get such a cast of classic British characters to play out scene after scene of perfectly deadpan, perfectly composed playlets as we have here in this stream. Does he make all this up? No. Too good to be invented.."
October 26th, 2006
Dan Sumption says:
"Paul has an incredible eye for the humorous details which pass most of us by every day. With his humour, his bright palette and his love of quintessentially English pastimes (seaside treats and country fairs), there are obvious similarities between his work and that of Martin Parr. The comparison is valid (and praise in itself) but Paul has a style that is all his own. And he has more photos of road cones than Martin."
October 17th, 2006
- Paul Russell
- April 2005
- I am: