Visual cartographer of the psychogeographic landscape.
I use Flickr as a valuable testing ground - there's all sorts on here, and it's not a "best of", although some of my favourite photos are featured in the Portfolio set.
**** For a better view, please see my website (up since 2003) or my portfolio on In-Public ****
Main web site:
Portfolios on in-public.com
Visit my blog:
All the photos on Flickr and on my main website were taken during the period 2003-2013.
In the past 3 years I have participated in group shows at Photofusion, London; Third Floor Gallery, Cardiff; Contributed Studio for the Arts, Berlin; Museum of London (plus accompanying book); Format Photography Festival, Derby; Galerie Hertz, Louisville, USA; Fundacja.DOC, Warsaw; The Museum of the City of New York; International Photography Festival #2, Tel Aviv; and Thailand Creative & Design Center, Bangkok. Phew.
In addition, I have had five solo shows around the UK.
I have a 6-page spread and profile in the Thames & Hudson Street Photography Now book, currently residing in a Waterstones near you (probably).
Please note that any rude/derogatory/libellous comments regarding people in the photos will be deleted!
I took these photos especially for you.
- SPNC - Year 5 - June #06 2 photos, 56 members
- Global Street Photography 927 photos, 641 members
- Street & Repeat - 105 - curated 63 photos, 93 members
- /Under Construction\ Street Photography Competition 64 photos, 655 members
- Street & Repeat - 105 685 photos, 448 members
- 26 by 26 1,427 photos, 396 members
- HCSP (Hardcore Street Photography) 2,881 photos, 66,538 members
- August Bournemouth Photo Walks 9 photos, 1 member
- Brighton Streets 855 photos, 270 members
- Leisure time, Then and Now 40 photos, 4 members
- Mission Miniclick 15 photos, 28 members
- SPNC - Street Photography Now Community 616 photos, 2,257 members
- Fuji X10, X20 and X30 88,453 photos, 6,092 members
- (SPUK) Street Photography UK 542 photos, 445 members
- Street Photographers' Salon 633 photos, 245 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - # 01 181 photos, 275 members
- Aspiring Street Photographers 159,405 photos, 6,392 members
- Instruction #37 225 photos, 302 members
- Instruction #35 216 photos, 282 members
- Ricoh GR Digital 194,304 photos, 8,829 members
- RICOH GR Digital II (GRD2) 45,580 photos, 1,907 members
- Instruction #28 194 photos, 303 members
- Instruction #27 222 photos, 336 members
- Instruction #25 202 photos, 431 members
- Instruction #24 211 photos, 321 members
- The New Forest Show 0 photos, 1 member
- Finepix X100 and X100s 138,306 photos, 4,669 members
- Fuji X100 153,469 photos, 9,296 members
- Instruction #21 219 photos, 400 members
- Instruction #20 238 photos, 382 members
- Altered States of Agoraphobia 3,129 photos, 408 members
- Instruction #18 267 photos, 458 members
- Instruction #16 194 photos, 435 members
- Instruction #15 228 photos, 419 members
- Instruction #14 204 photos, 333 members
- Instruction #13 187 photos, 321 members
- Instruction #11 179 photos, 364 members
- Hardcore Seagull Photography (HCSGP) 104 photos, 149 members
- Instruction #10 245 photos, 441 members
- Right Here, Right Now 2,258 photos, 123 members
- Instruction #9 256 photos, 490 members
- Instruction #8 259 photos, 487 members
- Instruction #7 232 photos, 433 members
- Instruction #4 212 photos, 569 members
- Instruction #3 248 photos, 620 members
- Instruction #2 274 photos, 855 members
- Instruction #1 343 photos, 1,472 members
- Alec Soth's "From Here To There" Flickr Project 3,038 photos, 1,141 members
- Truth Magazine 5 photos, 199 members
- Add the colour 531 photos, 56 members
John Goldsmith says:
"A crowd favourite. Paul is one of mine too. Consistently fantastic!"
July 27th, 2008
Hughes Léglise-Bataille says:
"Paul is one of a handful of photographers whose work can achieve that very rare quality of making you laugh and marvel like a 10-year old. He is also a keen and sensitive observer, able to isolate the magic in the most mundane situations, and capture hidden street rythms in precise compositions."
July 13th, 2008
"Pauls photos offer a fresh perspective of the world, he is the poet laureate of the seaside, capturing an elderly lady reclining in a deckchair, a man in tweeds laughing at a Punch and Judy show.
He uses a fresh language to express the constant state of anxiety as the holidaymakers go about there staged leisure, every photo looks choreographed in a dazzling display of enigmatic composition and unintentional humour, he is just as good as Martin Parr. sheer brilliance"
July 15th, 2007
"Paul has a wonderful and charming way of revealing the world to us. His work can be painterly or often surreal, but always revealing in a delightful manner."
May 26th, 2007
"Straight up genius!"
November 19th, 2006
"Paul must be the love-child of Tony Ray-Jones. No one in the last thirty years has managed to get such a cast of classic British characters to play out scene after scene of perfectly deadpan, perfectly composed playlets as we have here in this stream. Does he make all this up? No. Too good to be invented.."
October 26th, 2006
Dan Sumption says:
"Paul has an incredible eye for the humorous details which pass most of us by every day. With his humour, his bright palette and his love of quintessentially English pastimes (seaside treats and country fairs), there are obvious similarities between his work and that of Martin Parr. The comparison is valid (and praise in itself) but Paul has a style that is all his own. And he has more photos of road cones than Martin."
October 17th, 2006
- Paul Russell
- April 2005
- I am: