Welcome! This is a collection of some of my best photos featuring some of the things I enjoy: Church art & architecture, historic buildings, places and events, scenes of natural beauty, and various saints and sinners! In addition there are images from of my religious life as a Dominican friar.
Occasionally some of my photos have come to the attention of publishers and my work has been used in various international newspapers and magazines, iPhone applications, blogs and websites, as book covers, and as book illustrations. When used for commercial purposes, I ask for a donation to be sent to me for the English Dominicans, but do contact me to discuss any such use of my photos.
If you like my Flickr photos and wish to show your appreciation in some way, I invite you to make a donation, or otherwise please leave me a comment. My Amazon wish list is here: amzn.com/w/2KJF7KXYMJUTI
The photos here are mostly under the Creative Commons license, but this means you still ought to credit any non-commercial use of the photo to 'Fr. Lawrence Lew, O.P.', or at least link back to the original Flickr page.
And I always appreciate knowing where my photos have been used, so please contact me and let me know!
I currently use a Canon EOS 7D Mark II, with the following lenses:
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM;
Canon EF 70- 300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM;
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM;
Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 fisheye;
Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro.
Previously, I had used a Canon 70D, a Canon 60D, a Canon 450D, and other lenses such as the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
- Stained Glass and Colored Glass 31,920 photos, 170 members
- Byzantine Architecture [only before 1453 please] 34,633 photos, 729 members
- UK Church Stained Glass Windows 17,401 photos, 226 members
- Bokeh Awards (The Highest Quality) 31,731 photos, 1,477 members
- All Free Pictures (Creative Commons and Public Domain) 186,775 photos, 6,080 members
- Gothic Survival to Gothic Revival 1,934 photos, 105 members
- Canon 7D Mk II 28,745 photos, 679 members
- Canon EOS 7d MkII Owners' Group 22,980 photos, 234 members
- A. LOST WORLD 75,277 photos, 5,724 members
- DC Churches 292 photos, 35 members
- Photographers Order of Preachers 108 photos, 10 members
- Bokeh Photography (1/day) 443,059 photos, 32,659 members
- ARMORIAL - ARMOIRIES 1,722 photos, 40 members
- WASHINGTON, DC 9,890 photos, 924 members
- Washington DC - Street Shooting 7,646 photos, 758 members
- Faith-filled Photographers 1,702 photos, 34 members
- Canon EOS 70D - Official Group 462,302 photos, 10,417 members
- fisheye fanatics 116,821 photos, 10,063 members
- Opteka fisheye 5,428 photos, 608 members
- PROCISSÕES, PEREGRINAÇÕES E ROMARIAS 1,649 photos, 24 members
- Witraż - Vitrail - Stained Glass 4,225 photos, 43 members
- Kilted Life - A Celebration ! 20,171 photos, 2,543 members
- Religious art of Middle Ages in Europe 3,742 photos, 100 members
- Guides et Scouts d'Europe 688 photos, 26 members
- Paris architecture 38,166 photos, 2,602 members
- Beautiful Edinburgh 15,335 photos, 298 members
- Street Photography 3,416 photos, 45,283 members
- Wood and Stone Carvings 12,020 photos, 456 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 978,196 photos, 16,241 members
- Love South Africa 44,462 photos, 1,392 members
- St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh 822 photos, 115 members
- Man of Southeast Asia 1,198 photos, 414 members
- Ostia Antica 1,693 photos, 351 members
- Modern Church Architecture 4,287 photos, 290 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 101,794 photos, 10,327 members
- Glasgow Cathedral 548 photos, 149 members
- Someone's gotta love it 113 photos, 101 members
- Banners in churches 1,794 photos, 33 members
- A Spiritual Journey Across The British Isles And Europe 5,706 photos, 117 members
- El órgano iberico 134 photos, 27 members
- Glasgow Churches 1,546 photos, 118 members
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens 37,421 photos, 1,693 members
- Gothic architecture 11,906 photos, 686 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM 321,495 photos, 13,725 members
- The Dream of the Magi 540 photos, 36 members
- La Pasión 6,426 photos, 200 members
- Canon L Lenses 571,442 photos, 7,193 members
- Martyrdoms of Saints 436 photos, 46 members
- Christian Iconography and Symbolism 18,508 photos, 290 members
- Canon EOS 60D - Official Group 641,538 photos, 16,319 members
"Try and take a photo of a church / cathedral / abbey interior. Compare your results to those of Lawrence... and you will realize what a skilled photographer this man is.
I'd say he is the best who works this genre."
June 13th, 2014
"Sporadically, I practice what I call "devotional photography," that is, photographs of or concerning sacred things which seek to lead the viewer into reflection upon the truths expressed. Someday, God willing, I will be half as good as Fr. Lawrence. St. Thomas Aquinas described the Dominican vocation thus: "contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere," to contemplate and hand the fruits of that contemplation to others. In the pulpit or with camera in hand, Fr. Lawrence does just that.
If you are Catholic and seeking inspiration, find it here; if you are not Catholic and wondering what it's all about, Fr. Lawrence will teach you. Even if you have no particular religion but are attracted to beauty, come and see."
April 4th, 2013
"I discovered Brother Lawrence's photographs several years ago when i first joined Flickr. His photographs are technically excellent but also betray a great passion for the subject. Through his lens viewers obtain a glimpse into a spiritual world and lifestyle and yet his images are often also very worldly. More power to you Brother Lawrence!"
November 26th, 2012
"To anyone who aims to capture interiors faithfully, sympathetically and with creativity, Lawrence is an inspiration. He is a craftsman and an artist, painstakingly careful, sensitive to detail, and as good at what he does best as anyone I know on Flickr. If you want to appreciate the true grandeur of enclosed space and light you need go no further than this photostream."
September 18th, 2008
"Brother Lawrence's photostream is the journey of a soul. To step in to it, if only for a moment, is a moment of calm in the middle of a busy day, and so I often do. His images are charged with a deep, authoritative spirituality, and become a touchstone to something which is at once deeply grounded and numinous. Thank you, Lawrence."
May 16th, 2008
tina negus says:
"A remarkable and thorough documentation of Catholic life today - always wonderfully photographed, often moving, always challenging. I am lucky to have Lawrence as a Flickr friend!"
April 1st, 2008
"Would you like to have a young Dominican friar as a Flickr friend? It would be an extremely interesting experience, believe me. I am being visiting his photostream for the last few months and I'm really enjoying it. Nearly each day he will provide you with really beautiful pictures of some art work related to the saint of the day, together with its related history and every other important story you would like to know. But what is much more important. he is an excellent photographer, with a special eye for the interesting detail and a special feeling in finding the best image and composition. Moreover, he writes beautifully and clearly. Even for a Black Friar, he is an outstanding guy."
December 26th, 2007
Sir Cam @camdiary says:
"If photo's are a manifestation of what we are deep inside, then Lawrence OP's images show his love and his search for beauty. I particularly love the spiritual diminsion of his works and the scholarly write ups that accompany his images. Photographically, his captures, and especially his compositions, have become more and more sophisticated. It is always a pleasure to go through his stream and await his new uploads even though he is in Oxford rather than Cambridge:-)"
August 4th, 2007
Vitrearum (A B Barton) says:
"I first encountered Lawrence's photostream at the end of last summer and it is with considerable pleasure that I have watched it develop since then. His photostream reflects his many and varied interests, his love of buildings and of people. Here you will find images of medieval churches and Oxford's baroque buildings interspersed with people going about their daily activity. This is not photography for its own sake, not the work of the antiquarian or collector - there is a real sense that Lawrence's photographic work substantially informs his thinking. His keen eye is undergirded with an extremely strong theological understanding and sense of humour this adds considerably to the value of his work."
April 27th, 2007
Martin Beek says:
"I'm delighted to have made contact with Lawrence. His photographs show a deep love of his subjects. He brings a truly spiritual quality to many of his images, both in composition and understanding of light.
Having just met Lawrence, I can say that his open - hearted character is well reflected throughout his works on these pages. Through Lawrence's vision we can see the world in a new and delightful way. I'm sure his photographic work will touch many people and open our eyes anew to the beauty that can be found in creation."
November 29th, 2006
- March 2005
- Kuala Lumpur
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Dominican priest