Welcome! This is a collection of some of my best photos featuring some of the things I enjoy: Church art & architecture, historic buildings, places and events, scenes of natural beauty, and various saints and sinners! In addition there are images from of my religious life as a Dominican friar.
Occasionally some of my photos have come to the attention of publishers and my work has been used in various international newspapers and magazines, iPhone applications, blogs and websites, as book covers, and as book illustrations. When used for commercial purposes, I ask for a donation to be sent to me for the English Dominicans, but do contact me to discuss any such use of my photos.
If you like my Flickr photos and wish to show your appreciation in some way, I invite you to make a donation, or otherwise please leave me a comment. My Amazon wish list is here: amzn.com/w/2KJF7KXYMJUTI
The photos here are mostly under the Creative Commons license, but this means you still ought to credit any non-commercial use of the photo to 'Fr. Lawrence Lew, O.P.', or at least link back to the original Flickr page.
And I always appreciate knowing where my photos have been used, so please contact me and let me know!
I currently use a Canon EOS 7D Mark II, with the following lenses:
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM;
Canon EF 70- 300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM;
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM;
Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 fisheye;
Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro.
Previously, I had used a Canon 70D, a Canon 60D, a Canon 450D, and other lenses such as the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
- UK Church Stained Glass Windows 16,052 photos, 223 members
- Bokeh Awards (The Highest Quality) 31,139 photos, 1,427 members
- All Free Pictures (Creative Commons and Public Domain) 166,247 photos, 5,986 members
- Gothic Survival to Gothic Revival 1,721 photos, 92 members
- Canon 7D Mk II 27,842 photos, 665 members
- Canon EOS 7d MkII Owners' Group 20,880 photos, 207 members
- A. LOST WORLD 72,975 photos, 5,740 members
- DC Churches 290 photos, 35 members
- Photographers Order of Preachers 108 photos, 10 members
- Bokeh Photography (1/day) 450,564 photos, 31,951 members
- ARMORIAL - ARMOIRIES 1,710 photos, 38 members
- WASHINGTON, DC 9,353 photos, 881 members
- Washington DC - Street Shooting 7,484 photos, 750 members
- Faith-filled Photographers 2,112 photos, 33 members
- Canon EOS 70D - Official Group 463,870 photos, 10,387 members
- fisheye fanatics 117,429 photos, 10,063 members
- Opteka fisheye 5,473 photos, 609 members
- PROCISSÕES, PEREGRINAÇÕES E ROMARIAS 1,649 photos, 23 members
- Witraż - Vitrail - Stained Glass 1,404 photos, 40 members
- Kilted Life - A Celebration ! 20,559 photos, 2,552 members
- Religious art of Middle Ages in Europe 3,317 photos, 95 members
- Guides et Scouts d'Europe 690 photos, 25 members
- Paris architecture 37,994 photos, 2,601 members
- Beautiful Edinburgh 14,739 photos, 293 members
- Street Photography 3,347 photos, 45,254 members
- Wood and Stone Carvings 10,854 photos, 442 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 922,740 photos, 15,432 members
- Love South Africa 42,815 photos, 1,382 members
- St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh 818 photos, 112 members
- Man of Southeast Asia 1,216 photos, 406 members
- Ostia Antica 1,712 photos, 353 members
- Modern Church Architecture 4,222 photos, 289 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 100,060 photos, 10,113 members
- Glasgow Cathedral 541 photos, 146 members
- Someone's gotta love it 115 photos, 103 members
- Banners in churches 1,762 photos, 33 members
- A Spiritual Journey Across The British Isles And Europe 5,952 photos, 117 members
- El órgano iberico 140 photos, 27 members
- Glasgow Churches 1,545 photos, 114 members
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens 36,571 photos, 1,674 members
- Gothic architecture 11,450 photos, 673 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM 320,276 photos, 13,720 members
- The Dream of the Magi 513 photos, 36 members
- La Pasión 6,208 photos, 201 members
- Canon L Lenses 568,994 photos, 7,228 members
- Martyrdoms of Saints 439 photos, 45 members
- Christian Iconography and Symbolism 18,415 photos, 292 members
- Canon EOS 60D - Official Group 645,644 photos, 16,363 members
- A Hand in ART 4,873 photos, 246 members
- Greyfriars Kirk 212 photos, 64 members
"Try and take a photo of a church / cathedral / abbey interior. Compare your results to those of Lawrence... and you will realize what a skilled photographer this man is.
I'd say he is the best who works this genre."
June 13th, 2014
"Sporadically, I practice what I call "devotional photography," that is, photographs of or concerning sacred things which seek to lead the viewer into reflection upon the truths expressed. Someday, God willing, I will be half as good as Fr. Lawrence. St. Thomas Aquinas described the Dominican vocation thus: "contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere," to contemplate and hand the fruits of that contemplation to others. In the pulpit or with camera in hand, Fr. Lawrence does just that.
If you are Catholic and seeking inspiration, find it here; if you are not Catholic and wondering what it's all about, Fr. Lawrence will teach you. Even if you have no particular religion but are attracted to beauty, come and see."
April 4th, 2013
"I discovered Brother Lawrence's photographs several years ago when i first joined Flickr. His photographs are technically excellent but also betray a great passion for the subject. Through his lens viewers obtain a glimpse into a spiritual world and lifestyle and yet his images are often also very worldly. More power to you Brother Lawrence!"
November 26th, 2012
"To anyone who aims to capture interiors faithfully, sympathetically and with creativity, Lawrence is an inspiration. He is a craftsman and an artist, painstakingly careful, sensitive to detail, and as good at what he does best as anyone I know on Flickr. If you want to appreciate the true grandeur of enclosed space and light you need go no further than this photostream."
September 18th, 2008
"Brother Lawrence's photostream is the journey of a soul. To step in to it, if only for a moment, is a moment of calm in the middle of a busy day, and so I often do. His images are charged with a deep, authoritative spirituality, and become a touchstone to something which is at once deeply grounded and numinous. Thank you, Lawrence."
May 16th, 2008
tina negus says:
"A remarkable and thorough documentation of Catholic life today - always wonderfully photographed, often moving, always challenging. I am lucky to have Lawrence as a Flickr friend!"
April 1st, 2008
"Would you like to have a young Dominican friar as a Flickr friend? It would be an extremely interesting experience, believe me. I am being visiting his photostream for the last few months and I'm really enjoying it. Nearly each day he will provide you with really beautiful pictures of some art work related to the saint of the day, together with its related history and every other important story you would like to know. But what is much more important. he is an excellent photographer, with a special eye for the interesting detail and a special feeling in finding the best image and composition. Moreover, he writes beautifully and clearly. Even for a Black Friar, he is an outstanding guy."
December 26th, 2007
Sir Cam @camdiary says:
"If photo's are a manifestation of what we are deep inside, then Lawrence OP's images show his love and his search for beauty. I particularly love the spiritual diminsion of his works and the scholarly write ups that accompany his images. Photographically, his captures, and especially his compositions, have become more and more sophisticated. It is always a pleasure to go through his stream and await his new uploads even though he is in Oxford rather than Cambridge:-)"
August 4th, 2007
Vitrearum (A B Barton) says:
"I first encountered Lawrence's photostream at the end of last summer and it is with considerable pleasure that I have watched it develop since then. His photostream reflects his many and varied interests, his love of buildings and of people. Here you will find images of medieval churches and Oxford's baroque buildings interspersed with people going about their daily activity. This is not photography for its own sake, not the work of the antiquarian or collector - there is a real sense that Lawrence's photographic work substantially informs his thinking. His keen eye is undergirded with an extremely strong theological understanding and sense of humour this adds considerably to the value of his work."
April 27th, 2007
Martin Beek says:
"I'm delighted to have made contact with Lawrence. His photographs show a deep love of his subjects. He brings a truly spiritual quality to many of his images, both in composition and understanding of light.
Having just met Lawrence, I can say that his open - hearted character is well reflected throughout his works on these pages. Through Lawrence's vision we can see the world in a new and delightful way. I'm sure his photographic work will touch many people and open our eyes anew to the beauty that can be found in creation."
November 29th, 2006
- March 2005
- Kuala Lumpur
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Dominican priest