Welcome! This is a collection of some of my best photos featuring some of the things I enjoy: Church art & architecture, historic buildings, places and events, scenes of natural beauty, and various saints and sinners! In addition there are images from of my religious life as a Dominican friar.
Occasionally some of my photos have come to the attention of publishers and my work has been used in various international newspapers and magazines, iPhone applications, blogs and websites, as book covers, and as book illustrations. When used for commercial purposes, I ask for a donation to be sent to me for the English Dominicans, but do contact me to discuss any such use of my photos.
If you like my Flickr photos and wish to show your appreciation in some way, I invite you to make a donation, or otherwise please leave me a comment. My Amazon wish list is here: amzn.com/w/2KJF7KXYMJUTI
The photos here are mostly under the Creative Commons license, but this means you still ought to credit any non-commercial use of the photo to 'Fr. Lawrence Lew, O.P.', or at least link back to the original Flickr page.
And I always appreciate knowing where my photos have been used, so please contact me and let me know!
I currently use a Canon 70D, with the following lenses:
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM;
Canon EF 70- 300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM;
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM;
Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 fisheye;
Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro.
Previously, I had used a Canon 60D, a Canon 450D, and other lenses such as the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
- A.C.M C. . 19,332 photos, 2,340 members
- DC Churches 425 photos, 28 members
- Photographers Order of Preachers 53 photos, 9 members
- Bokeh Photography (1/day) 333,236 photos, 24,630 members
- ARMORIAL - ARMOIRIES 1,232 photos, 21 members
- WASHINGTON, DC 4,929 photos, 516 members
- Washington DC - Street Shooting 5,589 photos, 599 members
- Faith-filled Photographers 1,545 photos, 26 members
- Canon EOS 70D - Official Group 292,910 photos, 8,747 members
- fisheye fanatics 106,111 photos, 9,689 members
- Opteka fisheye 5,250 photos, 561 members
- PROCISSÕES E PEREGRINAÇÕES 1,008 photos, 21 members
- Witraż - Vitrail - Stained Glass 476 photos, 13 members
- Kilted Life - A Celebration ! 18,643 photos, 2,425 members
- Religious art of Middle Ages in Europe 2,391 photos, 69 members
- Guides et Scouts d'Europe 670 photos, 17 members
- Paris architecture 35,684 photos, 2,482 members
- Beautiful Edinburgh 11,623 photos, 217 members
- Street Photography 3,118 photos, 42,506 members
- Wood and Stone Carvings 7,162 photos, 373 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 347,155 photos, 7,470 members
- Love South Africa 32,073 photos, 1,207 members
- St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh 807 photos, 102 members
- Man of Southeast Asia 1,075 photos, 365 members
- Ostia Antica 1,729 photos, 353 members
- Modern Church Architecture 3,819 photos, 271 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 80,670 photos, 8,549 members
- Glasgow Cathedral 480 photos, 116 members
- Jubilee Ubiquity 108 photos, 104 members
- Banners in churches 1,287 photos, 29 members
- A Spiritual Journey Across The British Isles And Europe 5,231 photos, 112 members
- El órgano iberico 141 photos, 26 members
- Glasgow Churches 1,418 photos, 106 members
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens 27,611 photos, 1,460 members
- Gothic architecture 8,947 photos, 565 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM 274,752 photos, 13,018 members
- The Dream of the Magi 356 photos, 30 members
- La Pasión 5,265 photos, 195 members
- Canon L Lenses 443,931 photos, 6,980 members
- Martyrdoms of Saints 441 photos, 38 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 19,368 photos, 578 members
- Christian Iconography and Symbolism 13,355 photos, 271 members
- Canon EOS 60D - Official Group 591,659 photos, 16,072 members
- A Hand in ART 4,731 photos, 227 members
- Greyfriars Kirk 217 photos, 65 members
- Traditional Latin Liturgy 195 photos, 36 members
- Mouseman of Kilburn 135 photos, 9 members
- Philip Webb 240 photos, 21 members
- Stations of the Cross/Via Crucis 712 photos, 50 members
- Edinburgh 126,840 photos, 5,418 members
"Sporadically, I practice what I call "devotional photography," that is, photographs of or concerning sacred things which seek to lead the viewer into reflection upon the truths expressed. Someday, God willing, I will be half as good as Fr. Lawrence. St. Thomas Aquinas described the Dominican vocation thus: "contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere," to contemplate and hand the fruits of that contemplation to others. In the pulpit or with camera in hand, Fr. Lawrence does just that.
If you are Catholic and seeking inspiration, find it here; if you are not Catholic and wondering what it's all about, Fr. Lawrence will teach you. Even if you have no particular religion but are attracted to beauty, come and see."
April 4th, 2013
"I discovered Brother Lawrence's photographs several years ago when i first joined Flickr. His photographs are technically excellent but also betray a great passion for the subject. Through his lens viewers obtain a glimpse into a spiritual world and lifestyle and yet his images are often also very worldly. More power to you Brother Lawrence!"
November 26th, 2012
"To anyone who aims to capture interiors faithfully, sympathetically and with creativity, Lawrence is an inspiration. He is a craftsman and an artist, painstakingly careful, sensitive to detail, and as good at what he does best as anyone I know on Flickr. If you want to appreciate the true grandeur of enclosed space and light you need go no further than this photostream."
September 18th, 2008
"Brother Lawrence's photostream is the journey of a soul. To step in to it, if only for a moment, is a moment of calm in the middle of a busy day, and so I often do. His images are charged with a deep, authoritative spirituality, and become a touchstone to something which is at once deeply grounded and numinous. Thank you, Lawrence."
May 16th, 2008
tina negus says:
"A remarkable and thorough documentation of Catholic life today - always wonderfully photographed, often moving, always challenging. I am lucky to have Lawrence as a Flickr friend!"
April 1st, 2008
"Would you like to have a young Dominican friar as a Flickr friend? It would be an extremely interesting experience, believe me. I am being visiting his photostream for the last few months and I'm really enjoying it. Nearly each day he will provide you with really beautiful pictures of some art work related to the saint of the day, together with its related history and every other important story you would like to know. But what is much more important. he is an excellent photographer, with a special eye for the interesting detail and a special feeling in finding the best image and composition. Moreover, he writes beautifully and clearly. Even for a Black Friar, he is an outstanding guy."
December 26th, 2007
Sir Cam says:
"If photo's are a manifestation of what we are deep inside, then Lawrence OP's images show his love and his search for beauty. I particularly love the spiritual diminsion of his works and the scholarly write ups that accompany his images. Photographically, his captures, and especially his compositions, have become more and more sophisticated. It is always a pleasure to go through his stream and await his new uploads even though he is in Oxford rather than Cambridge:-)"
August 4th, 2007
Vitrearum (Allan Barton) says:
"I first encountered Lawrence's photostream at the end of last summer and it is with considerable pleasure that I have watched it develop since then. His photostream reflects his many and varied interests, his love of buildings and of people. Here you will find images of medieval churches and Oxford's baroque buildings interspersed with people going about their daily activity. This is not photography for its own sake, not the work of the antiquarian or collector - there is a real sense that Lawrence's photographic work substantially informs his thinking. His keen eye is undergirded with an extremely strong theological understanding and sense of humour this adds considerably to the value of his work."
April 27th, 2007
Martin Beek says:
"I'm delighted to have made contact with Lawrence. His photographs show a deep love of his subjects. He brings a truly spiritual quality to many of his images, both in composition and understanding of light.
Having just met Lawrence, I can say that his open - hearted character is well reflected throughout his works on these pages. Through Lawrence's vision we can see the world in a new and delightful way. I'm sure his photographic work will touch many people and open our eyes anew to the beauty that can be found in creation."
November 29th, 2006
- March 2005
- Kuala Lumpur
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Dominican priest