Welcome! This is a collection of some of my best photos featuring some of the things I enjoy: Church art & architecture, historic buildings, places and events, scenes of natural beauty, and various saints and sinners! In addition there are images from of my religious life as a Dominican friar.
Occasionally some of my photos have come to the attention of publishers and my work has been used in various international newspapers and magazines, iPhone applications, blogs and websites, as book covers, and as book illustrations. When used for commercial purposes, I ask for a donation to be sent to me for the English Dominicans, but do contact me to discuss any such use of my photos.
If you like my Flickr photos and wish to show your appreciation in some way, I invite you to make a donation, or otherwise please leave me a comment. My Amazon wish list is here: amzn.com/w/2KJF7KXYMJUTI
The photos here are mostly under the Creative Commons license, but this means you still ought to credit any non-commercial use of the photo to 'Fr. Lawrence Lew, O.P.', or at least link back to the original Flickr page.
And I always appreciate knowing where my photos have been used, so please contact me and let me know!
I currently use a Canon EOS 7D Mark II, with the following lenses:
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM;
Canon EF 70- 300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM;
Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM;
Opteka 6.5mm f/3.5 fisheye;
Tamron 180mm f/3.5 macro.
Previously, I had used a Canon 70D, a Canon 60D, a Canon 450D, and other lenses such as the Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS.
- Bokeh Awards (The Highest Quality) 22,212 photos, 1,205 members
- All Free Pictures 42,044 photos, 2,824 members
- Gothic Survival to Gothic Revival 963 photos, 67 members
- Canon 7D Mk II 16,963 photos, 546 members
- Canon EOS 7d MkII Owners' Group 2,628 photos, 74 members
- A.C.M C. .BRITAIN 37,462 photos, 4,157 members
- DC Churches 440 photos, 31 members
- Photographers Order of Preachers 75 photos, 10 members
- Bokeh Photography (1/day) 368,180 photos, 26,915 members
- ARMORIAL - ARMOIRIES 1,384 photos, 24 members
- WASHINGTON, DC 5,728 photos, 608 members
- Washington DC - Street Shooting 6,158 photos, 655 members
- Faith-filled Photographers 1,524 photos, 26 members
- Canon EOS 70D - Official Group 343,904 photos, 9,389 members
- fisheye fanatics 109,102 photos, 9,817 members
- Opteka fisheye 5,148 photos, 582 members
- PROCISSÕES E PEREGRINAÇÕES 1,032 photos, 22 members
- Witraż - Vitrail - Stained Glass 781 photos, 18 members
- Kilted Life - A Celebration ! 19,165 photos, 2,465 members
- Religious art of Middle Ages in Europe 2,687 photos, 74 members
- Guides et Scouts d'Europe 671 photos, 18 members
- Paris architecture 36,636 photos, 2,550 members
- Beautiful Edinburgh 12,413 photos, 247 members
- Street Photography 3,190 photos, 43,512 members
- Wood and Stone Carvings 7,886 photos, 393 members
- Amateur Photographer Magazine 484,751 photos, 9,537 members
- Love South Africa 34,532 photos, 1,253 members
- St Giles' Cathedral, Edinburgh 831 photos, 104 members
- Man of Southeast Asia 1,094 photos, 378 members
- Ostia Antica 1,735 photos, 355 members
- Modern Church Architecture 3,940 photos, 274 members
- PARIS - ROMANTIC CITY 85,930 photos, 9,023 members
- Glasgow Cathedral 489 photos, 125 members
- Patriot Insanity 108 photos, 103 members
- Banners in churches 1,413 photos, 30 members
- A Spiritual Journey Across The British Isles And Europe 5,544 photos, 118 members
- El órgano iberico 141 photos, 26 members
- Glasgow Churches 1,471 photos, 110 members
- Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM lens 31,058 photos, 1,535 members
- Gothic architecture 9,542 photos, 599 members
- Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM 290,145 photos, 13,315 members
- The Dream of the Magi 423 photos, 32 members
- La Pasión 5,337 photos, 201 members
- Canon L Lenses 477,095 photos, 7,090 members
- Martyrdoms of Saints 440 photos, 38 members
- Martyrium: Female Martyrs 19,473 photos, 589 members
- Christian Iconography and Symbolism 14,242 photos, 282 members
- Canon EOS 60D - Official Group 615,239 photos, 16,239 members
- A Hand in ART 4,762 photos, 229 members
- Greyfriars Kirk 214 photos, 66 members
"Sporadically, I practice what I call "devotional photography," that is, photographs of or concerning sacred things which seek to lead the viewer into reflection upon the truths expressed. Someday, God willing, I will be half as good as Fr. Lawrence. St. Thomas Aquinas described the Dominican vocation thus: "contemplare et contemplata aliis tradere," to contemplate and hand the fruits of that contemplation to others. In the pulpit or with camera in hand, Fr. Lawrence does just that.
If you are Catholic and seeking inspiration, find it here; if you are not Catholic and wondering what it's all about, Fr. Lawrence will teach you. Even if you have no particular religion but are attracted to beauty, come and see."
April 4th, 2013
"I discovered Brother Lawrence's photographs several years ago when i first joined Flickr. His photographs are technically excellent but also betray a great passion for the subject. Through his lens viewers obtain a glimpse into a spiritual world and lifestyle and yet his images are often also very worldly. More power to you Brother Lawrence!"
November 26th, 2012
"To anyone who aims to capture interiors faithfully, sympathetically and with creativity, Lawrence is an inspiration. He is a craftsman and an artist, painstakingly careful, sensitive to detail, and as good at what he does best as anyone I know on Flickr. If you want to appreciate the true grandeur of enclosed space and light you need go no further than this photostream."
September 18th, 2008
"Brother Lawrence's photostream is the journey of a soul. To step in to it, if only for a moment, is a moment of calm in the middle of a busy day, and so I often do. His images are charged with a deep, authoritative spirituality, and become a touchstone to something which is at once deeply grounded and numinous. Thank you, Lawrence."
May 16th, 2008
tina negus says:
"A remarkable and thorough documentation of Catholic life today - always wonderfully photographed, often moving, always challenging. I am lucky to have Lawrence as a Flickr friend!"
April 1st, 2008
"Would you like to have a young Dominican friar as a Flickr friend? It would be an extremely interesting experience, believe me. I am being visiting his photostream for the last few months and I'm really enjoying it. Nearly each day he will provide you with really beautiful pictures of some art work related to the saint of the day, together with its related history and every other important story you would like to know. But what is much more important. he is an excellent photographer, with a special eye for the interesting detail and a special feeling in finding the best image and composition. Moreover, he writes beautifully and clearly. Even for a Black Friar, he is an outstanding guy."
December 26th, 2007
Sir Cam says:
"If photo's are a manifestation of what we are deep inside, then Lawrence OP's images show his love and his search for beauty. I particularly love the spiritual diminsion of his works and the scholarly write ups that accompany his images. Photographically, his captures, and especially his compositions, have become more and more sophisticated. It is always a pleasure to go through his stream and await his new uploads even though he is in Oxford rather than Cambridge:-)"
August 4th, 2007
Vitrearum (Allan Barton) says:
"I first encountered Lawrence's photostream at the end of last summer and it is with considerable pleasure that I have watched it develop since then. His photostream reflects his many and varied interests, his love of buildings and of people. Here you will find images of medieval churches and Oxford's baroque buildings interspersed with people going about their daily activity. This is not photography for its own sake, not the work of the antiquarian or collector - there is a real sense that Lawrence's photographic work substantially informs his thinking. His keen eye is undergirded with an extremely strong theological understanding and sense of humour this adds considerably to the value of his work."
April 27th, 2007
Martin Beek says:
"I'm delighted to have made contact with Lawrence. His photographs show a deep love of his subjects. He brings a truly spiritual quality to many of his images, both in composition and understanding of light.
Having just met Lawrence, I can say that his open - hearted character is well reflected throughout his works on these pages. Through Lawrence's vision we can see the world in a new and delightful way. I'm sure his photographic work will touch many people and open our eyes anew to the beauty that can be found in creation."
November 29th, 2006
- March 2005
- Kuala Lumpur
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Dominican priest