I've been away for a time, on hiatus if you will, while I focused (pardon the pun) on other parts of my life. The recent and unexpected burglary of my home (and my entire camera kit) forced me to re-examine my priorities and brought me back to my senses. It reminded me that photography really is something that I care deeply about.
R.I.P. Canon 50D...
Photography is as close as I come to actual meditation. It balances me and keeps me sane in this seriously screwed up world. Any target is fair game, and rust and decay feature heavily when I can find them. I respect the hell out of the Rule Of Thirds, and to show my respect I break it whenever necessary.
Bokeh makes me happy.
After 20+ years I'm still happily married to my high school sweetheart. Here's to another 20+, honey!
When I win the lottery I'll get that 1D and the L-glass to go with it. In the mean time I'll stick with what I've got....
• Canon EOS 70D
• Canon S90
• Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro
• Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM
• Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Macro
• Manfrotto tripod w/ ball head
• ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35
• iMac & MacBook Pro
• Adobe Lightroom
• Adobe Photoshop
- Birds Photos 1,911,077 photos, 68,233 members
- winter landscapes 106,731 photos, 9,843 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 19,561 photos, 2,599 members
- Canon EOS 70D - Official Group 212,852 photos, 7,314 members
- Project Weather 634,773 photos, 90,673 members
- 50/50 - Aug/Sep 2011 116 photos, 8 members
- Rusty car and truck badges 1,949 photos, 97 members
- suburbex 130 photos, 70 members
- Lensbaby Composer 21,163 photos, 1,828 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2010 190 photos, 22 members
- iPhone-Photography 163,027 photos, 3,735 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 771,473 photos, 33,289 members
- Grand Rapids Grub 384 photos, 48 members
- Ballooning 26,419 photos, 3,187 members
- Geocaching 20,068 photos, 2,123 members
- Canon PowerShot S90 49,327 photos, 3,053 members
- Strobist.com 603,656 photos, 122,167 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 414,104 photos, 105,938 members
- Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or Landscapes.P1- 71,283 photos, 4,304 members
- Serious Eats 79,208 photos, 1,451 members
- Grand Rapids Black & White 2,161 photos, 79 members
- ArtPrize® Grand Rapids (Official) 24,886 photos, 973 members
- GR Flickr Slideshow 347 photos, 86 members
- The Rapidian 8,871 photos, 252 members
- Kent County, Michigan 4,293 photos, 52 members
- Golf - public group 38,500 photos, 3,739 members
- The River 792 photos, 86 members
- Michigan Rivers 1,327 photos, 185 members
- Toilets for Terry 159 photos, 79 members
- Self-Portraits! 495,926 photos, 46,401 members
- Big Clouds 383 photos, 86 members
- Extreme Bokeh 373,554 photos, 20,785 members
- Canon Girls ROCK!! 46,928 photos, 1,238 members
- Bowled Over 4,243 photos, 1,350 members
- Schokolade @ Chocolate @ Chocolat 2,999 photos, 173 members
- 2008 Day-by-Day 70 photos, 20 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2008 1,474 photos, 38 members
- Robinette's of Grand Rapids 238 photos, 21 members
- Canon EOS 50D (G-rated) 102,174 photos, 2,951 members
- Caption This! 4,036 photos, 675 members
- God & Nature...Do Nothing In Vain(Post 1, Comment 1) 26,302 photos, 2,840 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 907 photos, 797 members
- The Blue Wall Project 2,329 photos, 304 members
- Gold Star Award - Level 1 (p1/a3) 661,672 photos, 48,178 members
- An Awesome Shot! Invited Photos ONLY!! 396,415 photos, 50,694 members
- blue + rust 13,908 photos, 1,340 members
- Your Best Photos! 12,544 photos, 473 members
- minimal art [no people no life] post / comment / invite 83,313 photos, 4,656 members
- TWIP Contest Pool 3,818 photos, 4,607 members
- Michigan Thunderstorms 1,365 photos, 289 members
RW ©™ says:
"Katie is no joke. She's a force to be reckoned with whenever she's behind a camera. Some of the most inspiring images I've seen on Flickr can be found in Katie's photostream, and her passion for photography is evident in everything she captures. G-Rap has a proven talent in its midst."
April 24th, 2008
"What took me so long to write this? Katie's photos show well and she has a real talent with that machine she holds so tight in her hands! I can always count on her photos to be: gallery worthy, varied... but still within her personal style and well planned. She knows what she is doing and it shows throughout her photo stream. Fate brought us together as friends... Thank you Fate!"
July 12th, 2007
A Different Perspective says:
"Some photographers inspire me with the technical excellence of their work. Others with the depth of imagination, the mood, or the emotion in what they produce. Still others surprise me in choice of subjects, sense of humour or ability to capture the unexpected.
It's only occasionally that I stumble over someone capable of employing more than one of these tools. I've known Kate to use them all.
In the time that Kate and I have been friends, and fellow photographers, I've watched her level of confidence lift, and it has shown in her work. Not that it's better (though some of it is), but it's more brave, more matter-of-fact, more fundamentally... well, rusty. :-)
Most importantly though, I like it. Lots."
October 30th, 2006
- March 2005
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Accounting Clerk