I've been away for a time, on hiatus if you will, while I focused (pardon the pun) on other parts of my life. The recent and unexpected burglary of my home (and my entire camera kit) forced me to re-examine my priorities and brought me back to my senses. It reminded me that photography really is something that I care deeply about.
R.I.P. Canon 50D...
Photography is as close as I come to actual meditation. It balances me and keeps me sane in this seriously screwed up world. Any target is fair game, and rust and decay feature heavily when I can find them. I respect the hell out of the Rule Of Thirds, and to show my respect I break it whenever necessary.
Bokeh makes me happy.
After 20+ years I'm still happily married to my high school sweetheart. Here's to another 20+, honey!
When I win the lottery I'll get that 1D and the L-glass to go with it. In the mean time I'll stick with what I've got....
• Canon EOS 70D
• Canon S90
• Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro
• Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM
• Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Macro
• Manfrotto tripod w/ ball head
• ThinkTank Urban Disguise 35
• iMac & MacBook Pro
• Adobe Lightroom
• Adobe Photoshop
- Birds Photos 1,831,642 photos, 66,417 members
- winter landscapes 104,990 photos, 9,622 members
- Teddy bears - Teddys 19,317 photos, 2,583 members
- Canon EOS 70D - Official Group 185,939 photos, 6,748 members
- Project Weather 607,069 photos, 87,652 members
- 50/50 - Aug/Sep 2011 116 photos, 8 members
- Rusty car and truck badges 1,913 photos, 97 members
- suburbex 128 photos, 70 members
- Lensbaby Composer 20,902 photos, 1,808 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2010 190 photos, 22 members
- iPhone-Photography 158,780 photos, 3,652 members
- Photos taken with an Apple iPhone 764,238 photos, 33,180 members
- Grand Rapids Grub 384 photos, 48 members
- Ballooning 25,609 photos, 3,122 members
- Geocaching 20,024 photos, 2,117 members
- Canon PowerShot S90 49,179 photos, 3,064 members
- Strobist.com 602,189 photos, 121,640 members
- Getty Images Call for Artists 415,554 photos, 105,974 members
- Lines 彡Curves & Shadows - No People, Flowers or Landscapes.P1- 68,346 photos, 4,231 members
- Serious Eats 78,424 photos, 1,445 members
- Grand Rapids Black & White 2,156 photos, 79 members
- ArtPrize® Grand Rapids (Official) 24,541 photos, 969 members
- GR Flickr Slideshow 337 photos, 84 members
- The Rapidian 8,613 photos, 248 members
- Kent County, Michigan 4,222 photos, 51 members
- Golf - public group 38,024 photos, 3,728 members
- The River 745 photos, 88 members
- Michigan Rivers 1,315 photos, 185 members
- Toilets for Terry 159 photos, 79 members
- Self-Portraits! 493,195 photos, 46,197 members
- Big Clouds 352 photos, 83 members
- Extreme Bokeh 361,006 photos, 20,503 members
- Canon Girls ROCK!! 46,055 photos, 1,231 members
- Bowled Over 4,238 photos, 1,343 members
- Schokolade @ Chocolate @ Chocolat 2,879 photos, 174 members
- 2008 Day-by-Day 70 photos, 20 members
- Grand Rapids Marathon 2008 1,474 photos, 38 members
- Robinette's of Grand Rapids 238 photos, 21 members
- Canon EOS 50D (G-rated) 100,773 photos, 2,932 members
- Caption This! 4,048 photos, 676 members
- God & Nature...Do Nothing In Vain(Post 1, Comment 1) 26,479 photos, 2,839 members
- GialloBlu - YellowBlue - JauneBleu - AmarilloAzul - GelbBlau 911 photos, 799 members
- The Blue Wall Project 2,322 photos, 303 members
- Gold Star Award - Level 1 (p1/a5) 648,463 photos, 47,967 members
- An Awesome Shot! Invited Photos ONLY!! 389,787 photos, 50,571 members
- blue + rust 13,817 photos, 1,336 members
- Your Best Photos! 12,181 photos, 472 members
- minimal art [no people no life] post / comment / invite 80,510 photos, 4,551 members
- TWIP Contest Pool 3,832 photos, 4,613 members
- Michigan Thunderstorms 1,375 photos, 291 members
RW ©™ says:
"Katie is no joke. She's a force to be reckoned with whenever she's behind a camera. Some of the most inspiring images I've seen on Flickr can be found in Katie's photostream, and her passion for photography is evident in everything she captures. G-Rap has a proven talent in its midst."
April 24th, 2008
"What took me so long to write this? Katie's photos show well and she has a real talent with that machine she holds so tight in her hands! I can always count on her photos to be: gallery worthy, varied... but still within her personal style and well planned. She knows what she is doing and it shows throughout her photo stream. Fate brought us together as friends... Thank you Fate!"
July 12th, 2007
A Different Perspective says:
"Some photographers inspire me with the technical excellence of their work. Others with the depth of imagination, the mood, or the emotion in what they produce. Still others surprise me in choice of subjects, sense of humour or ability to capture the unexpected.
It's only occasionally that I stumble over someone capable of employing more than one of these tools. I've known Kate to use them all.
In the time that Kate and I have been friends, and fellow photographers, I've watched her level of confidence lift, and it has shown in her work. Not that it's better (though some of it is), but it's more brave, more matter-of-fact, more fundamentally... well, rusty. :-)
Most importantly though, I like it. Lots."
October 30th, 2006
- March 2005
- I am:
- Female and Taken
- Accounting Clerk