Advice for virgin flickerites "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate", or "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here"
"A great photograph is a full expression of what one feels about what is being photographed in the deepest sense, and is, thereby, a true expression of what one feels about life in its entirety."
"Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again"
"Sometimes I get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter"
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst"
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
From Dundee in Scotland and have moved around a bit for work (Edinburgh, Plymouth, Dublin) but now back home in Bonnie Dundee. People put it down but it has one of the most beautiful river fronts in the world.
I have my own photography site website
féileacán (pronounced feh-la-kan) in case your wondering is irish for butterfly !
Using a Mac Book Pro with Aperture, Canon EOS 5D with the following lenses
70-200mm f2.4 (my baby...)
17-40mm f4.0 wide angle
100mm f2.8 macro
Nemo me impune lacessit
Nemo me impune lacessit is the Latin motto of the Order of the Thistle and of three Scottish regiments of the British Army. The motto also appears, in conjunction with the collar of the Order of the Thistle, in later versions of the Royal coat of arms of the Kingdom of Scotland and subsequently in the version of the Royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom used in Scotland. It is often translated as No-one provokes me with impunity, or rendered in Scots as Wha daur meddle wi' me? ("Cha togar m' fhearg gun dìoladh" in Scottish Gaelic).
i love this
The principle states that the explanation of any phenomenon should make as few assumptions as possible, eliminating those that make no difference in the observable predictions of the explanatory hypothesis or theory. The principle is often expressed in Latin as the lex parsimoniae ("law of parsimony" or "law of succinctness"): "entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem", or "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity".
This is often paraphrased as "All other things being equal, the simplest solution is the best." In other words, when multiple competing theories are equal in other respects, the principle recommends selecting the theory that introduces the fewest assumptions and postulates the fewest entities. It is in this sense that Occam's razor is usually understood.
Curry's Paradox (or the Santa Paradox...)
Curry's paradox is a paradox that occurs in naive set theory or naive logics, and allows the derivation of an arbitrary sentence from a self-referring sentence and some apparently innocuous logical deduction rules. It is named after the logician Haskell Curry.
Claims of the form "if A, then B" are called conditional claims. It is not necessary to believe the conclusion (B) to accept the conditional claim (if A, then B) as true. For instance, consider the following sentence:
If a man with flying reindeer has delivered presents to all the good children in the world in one night, then Santa Claus exists.
Imagine that a man with flying reindeer has, in fact, done this. Does Santa Claus exist, in that case? It would seem so. Therefore, without believing that Santa Claus exists, or that this scenario is even possible, it seems that we should agree that if a man with flying reindeer has delivered presents to all the good children in the world in one night, then Santa Claus exists, and so the above sentence is true.
Now consider this other sentence:
If this sentence is true, then Santa Claus exists.
As before, imagine that the antecedant is true - in this case, "this sentence is true". Does Santa Claus exist, in that case? Well, if the sentence is true, then what it says is true: namely that if the sentence is true, then Santa Claus exists. Therefore, without necessarily believing that Santa Claus exists, or that the sentence is true, it seems we should agree that if the sentence is true, then Santa Claus exists.
But then this means the sentence is true. So Santa Claus does exist. Furthermore we could substitute any claim at all for "Santa Claus exists". This is Curry's paradox.
Photos of féileacán (1)
- Love South Africa 43,356 photos, 1,390 members
- Two Oceans Aquarium 1,040 photos, 223 members
- #1 Nature & Wildlife Photographers Corner 1,022,214 photos, 15,232 members
- we love wildlife 432,472 photos, 9,916 members
- Lions, and Tigers, and Bears! Oh, My! 18,617 photos, 5,413 members
- Wildlife Photography 1,221,322 photos, 24,469 members
- Flickr Big Cats 135,202 photos, 11,931 members
- Africa in black and white 3,063 photos, 386 members
- Sunsets in Europe (Post 1 & Award 5) 68,518 photos, 7,796 members
- RAF Leuchars Airshow(s) 5,112 photos, 258 members
- Red, White & Blue 12,144 photos, 1,139 members
- Red Arrows 24,544 photos, 2,042 members
- The Red Arrows 6,088 photos, 664 members
- The Red Arrows, The Royal Air Force Aerobatic Team 15,360 photos, 2,086 members
- RAF Red Arrows 19,378 photos, 1,714 members
- Elephants 27,803 photos, 4,733 members
- Elephants, Rhinos, Giraffes & Hippos –The Big Guys (and Gals) 40,800 photos, 5,144 members
- Cape Town 45,894 photos, 2,630 members
- Table Mountain, Cape Town, South Africa 3,830 photos, 693 members
- Africa 306,042 photos, 13,095 members
- Images of Africa 223,870 photos, 6,831 members
- African Safari 136,993 photos, 5,734 members
- Pictures of South Africa 32,369 photos, 1,226 members
- South Africa 140,000 photos, 5,303 members
- Owls Of The World 6 photos, 2,474 members
- Owls 67,356 photos, 8,439 members
- OWLs OWLs OWLs 8,874 photos, 1,316 members
- Birds Birds Birds... 131,923 photos, 6,025 members
- :: | Bird Photography |:: 457,722 photos, 10,058 members
- Birds Photos 3,049,884 photos, 88,880 members
- BiRDS are Beautiful 495,899 photos, 11,118 members
- Birds birds birds birds! 610,890 photos, 37,479 members
- World of Birds Wildlife Santuary 93 photos, 97 members
- Architecture and Buildings 521,538 photos, 9,294 members
- Vienna @ * Night * 5,668 photos, 831 members
- Vienna 116,082 photos, 5,998 members
- Olympus Pen Cameras 32,818 photos, 612 members
- OLYMPUS Zuiko Digital & M. Zuiko Digital Club (Please TAG) 138,855 photos, 4,493 members
- Olympus E-System Community 551,713 photos, 12,562 members
- Micro Four Thirds (Micro 4/3) 1,091,242 photos, 20,260 members
- Micro Four Thirds 4/3 System 226,854 photos, 2,225 members
- OLYMPUS PEN E-PL2 24,919 photos, 1,120 members
- Paris 445,073 photos, 49,931 members
- Cats - Small to Big 147,982 photos, 11,511 members
- MacOSaiX 52 photos, 14 members
- Crayons Only 1,881 photos, 728 members
- ***It's multi-colored!!!*** new rules/no black & white (p1~a2) 256,974 photos, 8,765 members
- flickr in full color 1,386,158 photos, 19,427 members
- Full Moon 11,099 photos, 2,758 members
- MOON Shots 141,814 photos, 26,743 members
féileacán doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- Philip Milne
- April 2006
- Dundee, Scotland
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Feileacan Photography