Longtime nature & wildlife photographer, many publication credits. For a dozen years I was photo columnist and features writer at Explore Magazine, and during this period (1988-2000) I developed and taught the Nature & Wildlife course at the Western Academy of Photography, in Victoria, BC. In 2005 Greystone Books (Vancouver) published my "Wild Prairie: A Photographer's Personal Journey". Publishing a book is every photographer's dream (and every dentist's dream too, according to my former dentist).
Following this, I ran a series of successful photo workshops, introducing a lot of photographers to the magnificent prairie grasslands for the first time. I discontinued these in 2013 to focus on my own work. I only take on projects that interest me. Have recently completed shooting a book on the late, great metal sculptor Jan Johnson. I continue to photograph critters at every opportunity. My knees aren't what they used to be, but I think my eyes are better than ever.
All photographs on my Flickr photostream are protected under copyright laws and international conventions. This means they cannot be copied, reproduced, republished, downloaded, displayed, modified, transmitted, licensed, transferred, sold or distributed by any means, without prior written permission from the photographer. Most of my photos are available for licensing. If you are being paid for your project and want to include my image(s), please contact me to negotiate a reasonable licensing fee.
If people add me as a contact or choose my images as favourites - but don't have any image offerings of their own, and make no effort to communicate with me - I will block them.
That said, I'm open to all sorts of exchanges with people who genuinely love photography and want to share their work. There is some stunningly good photography on display here. Time and again I am amazed at what I see.
- COLL.par Impatience_1 *COLOR*FORM*ABSTRACT*Adm.Inv. 21,445 photos, 726 members
- Aspiration 459 photos, 17 members
- Agriculture 35,814 photos, 1,681 members
- Explorable 63,073 photos, 702 members
- CSSS: Severe Thunderstorms 4,957 photos, 659 members
- Audubon magazine 265,926 photos, 2,356 members
- Beautiful Realm (Admin. Invite) 13,679 photos, 1,266 members
- Bird Identification Help Group 59,426 photos, 8,544 members
- WOW: commented with wow 191,243 photos, 16,125 members
- the naked abstract (closed for 2 weeks holiday) 2,209 photos, 137 members
- League of the Empty Chair : Interestingly Out Of Place !!! 17,158 photos, 18,141 members
- The Beauty of Rock 2,430 photos, 278 members
- North American Nature & Wildlife Photography 146,804 photos, 2,085 members
- Best of British Columbia Outdoors 18,284 photos, 345 members
- No Postcards 10,092 photos, 156 members
- Wild Birds of North America 159,005 photos, 1,700 members
- Nature Inc. 67,034 photos, 2,835 members
- Birds of any kind 24,183 photos, 393 members
- Owls (Wild Only) 26,723 photos, 2,147 members
- wildlife photographers 251,752 photos, 3,721 members
- We love cameras 639,913 photos, 7,337 members
- Wildlife of the West 11,429 photos, 344 members
- BORN to be WILD 27,137 photos, 2,755 members
- E-Ticket's Best of the Best Photo Gallery 215 photos, 28 members
- Nature Fine Pictures Gallery 74,449 photos, 2,922 members
- Tra un Manifesto e Lo Specchio - High quality images 646,056 photos, 12,187 members
- Cars: Rusty & Abandoned 67,655 photos, 6,404 members
- Macro Photography 729,928 photos, 58,643 members
- Pattern and Texture 63,573 photos, 3,238 members
- The Beauty of Grasses 2,561 photos, 567 members
- STORMSCAPES 20,618 photos, 2,347 members
- Farming Life 30,961 photos, 1,219 members
- Your Very Best 96,504 photos, 2,689 members
- Green Eden 65,297 photos, 4,450 members
- British Columbia Film Photography 3,013 photos, 334 members
- Vanished Montreal / Montréal disparu 2,870 photos, 409 members
- Earth Images Nature Photography 106,409 photos, 1,777 members
- A Better B&W Group 710,715 photos, 14,961 members
- Abandoned 1,142,046 photos, 78,399 members
- Zen Flesh Zen Bones 14,230 photos, 725 members
- Joy of Black & White 150,044 photos, 3,294 members
- Ultimate Ice 1,783 photos, 53 members
- artland 1,184,345 photos, 43,039 members
- Creepy Dolls 13,668 photos, 1,827 members
- FOTOCYFER - The Light's Hunters 54,806 photos, 1,465 members
- 4tografie Nikon Square Shots 3,977 photos, 181 members
- Spectacular Animals-Invited Photos Only 94,338 photos, 9,783 members
- Landscape 1,059,614 photos, 101,642 members
- !!FlickrGreen ~ Everyday is Earth Day!! 355,170 photos, 7,935 members
- Nature Nerds 41,133 photos, 2,888 members
"I'm not in awe of many people, but James is on that short list. His mastery of photography, combined with his life experiences and professional accomplishments are worthy of the highest level of respect. I look forward to seeing every new image he posts, whether freshly taken or from his extensive archives. Through his well written narratives, he has introduced me to several other fascinating people and I feel fortunate to "know" them. If a person can be partially judged by the company he keeps, then James gets judged very favorably indeed.
Then there is his high degree of respect for nature and wildlife. For a fellow nature lover and photographer, that is the supreme attribute. He inspires me to keep getting out there and to keep trying to up my game. Thank you James Page! ."
March 17th, 2017
So Walk! says:
"To be honest, I'm not much of a prairie person; that's why I love wild prairie man's photography. Through his photos, I am able to visit places I would normally never go. And even if I did live on a prairie, his photos would still stand out because he has the talent to consistently capture such pristine wildlife - the kinds of epic scenes you always hope to run into in nature but rarely encounter.
SUMMARY: This guy's the best at what he does."
July 14th, 2011
"I've been following Jim's work ever since his b/w tri-x days shot with his old pentax. I think one of the things I like most about his work is that he never stops stretching himself, keeps surprising me, gets better with the years. That's inspirational and just plain a delight to see.
Plus I like the feeling I get when I see some of his pics...a whooosh-like feeling."
December 20th, 2010
i n i m i n i says:
"James is a Flickr jewel to behold. His professionalism married with an openness to share make him so. The supreme shots, imbued w/skill and heart, give off a particular glow that I'm grateful to have come across."
July 9th, 2010
"If you're in need of daily fresh views of the natural world then make the wild prairie man your friend as soon as you can. Focused, composed, and full of vital inspirations over what to 'capture' for our digital pleasure."
May 18th, 2010
"I was fortunate enough to stumble onto one of Jim's photos, and have been humbled and amazed ever since... but just now I realized what it is about his photos... yes, the artistry and skill is beyond compare, but what you see in every one of his nature photos is love and respect for this world... and that is what makes his photos works of art."
January 15th, 2010
- James R. Page
- October 2008
- Montreal, Quebec
- Val Marie, Saskatchewan, Canada
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Photographer, writer