Hi! Thanks for your interest in my photos. See information below about some of my essays about amateur photography and Flickr, use of my images, and the cameras I use.
How Flickr works and other photo essays
Did you want to learn more about how Flickr works? Want some ideas on how to improve your photography? Here are some essays that will help:
* Ten things you can do to improve interestingness and increase chances of getting into Explore
* All About Flickr titles, text, tags, and views
* All about Creative Commons
* All about Flickr contacts
* All about Flickr favorites
* The scaling issue in digital art
* How Flickr is diffferent than "great" photography
* At a loss for Flickr comments? Here's a catalog
* Five key decisions in photography.
* How I make the Christmas light paintings.
* Jamie Livingston - A 365x19 series you MUST see!
* The Impassioned Eye, Henri Cartier-Besson.
* You can't always get what you give: A study of Flickr award groups
* The skills of enthusiastic amateurs
* Open source photography--are you in or out?
* Suspicion, trust, and Flickr
* I'm bokeh, you're bokeh, pure bokeh
* See the World Through My Eyes and Explore the Motel at Wink's Place in the Golden Garden of Karma because L'amicizia fa la differenza! (or, Flickr the Soap Opera)
* Why is one of my photos more Interesting than the other?
* Photography versus video
* Flickr life
* Live photography
Using my images
My photos are under Creative Commons license, which means you can use them but you must attribute the photo back to me.
Please place my name ("Kevin Dooley") and a link back to the photo's Flickr page somewhere appropriate on the website or document.
My main interests are in street photography (with or without people), landscape photography, and event photography. I use a variety of digital and analog cameras and like to experiment. With people shots I like to capture moments, whereas with building or landscape shots I am mainly interested in composition. In both cases, I want to create something the viewer can enjoy and gets viewed by many, but also that possibly documents some element of our society or a location at a point in time, never to be the same again.
Most of my post-processing involves micro-rotation (I am obsessed with horizons being exactly parallel) and cropping, where my interest is focused on composition and sometimes squaring. I use a lot of "rule of thirds" in composing; for example, in people shots I will try to put the focus of intended attention at one of the one-third or two-thirds positions. I use iPhoto for 95% of my editing and use Photomatix for HDR processing.
Digital: I currently most often use a Sony RX100, and less my Canon 80D with Canon or Sigma lenses. In the past I've also used the Canon 40D, S95, Canon G7, and Olympus Stylus. I've used the Motorola Zine, My Touch G4, and iPhone cell phone cameras. Currently on the iPhone I mostly use the Hipstamatic app.
Analog: In 35mm, I use the Lomography Diana+ mini, Lomography Fisheye2, Eximus Wide & Slim, Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim, Lomography Sprocket Rocket, and other trashcams. For medium format I use the Lomography Diana+, Holga TLR, and Kowa Super 66. I use Kodak and Fuji film, although I have a special spot for Ilford 3600, like to cross-process, and use Tempe Cameras for film processing.
* Most Interesting, according to Flickr's Interestingness algorithm
* Images in Explore at one time or another
Google Street View projects
Google Street View is one of the greatest photographic accomplishments ever. One of my current projects is to use Google Street View to take long, virtual treks. I photo mine, selecting interesting, mostly obscure images from amongst the trillions available and post-process.
I have concluded a “Pan-American Trek that went from Deadhorse, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina, covering 16,000 km. My current trek is “KD’s World Tour” which is following a path of reverse human migration from the Antarctic to the Middle East, via Asia, Russia, and Europe.
I explain my general interest in Google Street View, and the philosophical question of "is this photography" here: link.
Here is an article in a German newspaper about it: link.
I explain my selection and process workflow in detail here: link.
I am married with a wonderful family and live in Chandler, Arizona. I am a professor at Arizona State University and Chief Scientist at The Sustainability Consortium. My specialities are sustainability, supply chain management, and complexity science. My academic profession requires me to travel broadly so I get to photograph many different places.
- Graffiti Photography 87,735 photos, 3,079 members
- Graffiti-non-stop 40,093 photos, 1,189 members
- Graffiti-Streetart-Urbanart 170,494 photos, 1,548 members
- Graffiti of the world 200,196 photos, 5,934 members
- Graffiti Hall 37,872 photos, 743 members
- Painted Wall Art 75,633 photos, 1,893 members
- Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art 30,479 photos, 2,759 members
- Odd, unusual, weird, wacky, or custom cars 22,649 photos, 981 members
- Odd and Abstract 105,841 photos, 5,349 members
- California Haunts & Jaunts 5,914 photos, 161 members
- California Photography 89,653 photos, 3,462 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 48,717 photos, 2,307 members
- L2 Gestalt PERFECTION by Invitation - NEW! - C2 808 photos, 73 members
- Der Zeit die Augenblicke stehlen 2,121 photos, 75 members
- Art 2 La Rue Graffiti 7,196 photos, 277 members
- MOFO Images -B&W- (More Of Flickr Originals) 95,592 photos, 2,397 members
- PHOTOCLASSIC 78,023 photos, 2,077 members
- MINIMAL black&white 72,437 photos, 10,436 members
- Recitation - Great Art , Great Graffiti 4,623 photos, 72 members
- Russia 145,229 photos, 5,514 members
- FlickRussian: говорим по-русски! 441,489 photos, 17,736 members
- ! !^ItalianLifeStyle 15+ Faves (Level 1) 20,481 photos, 1,241 members
- Sony RX100 Watercolor & Illustrator 1,137 photos, 75 members
- Maximal minimalism 32,275 photos, 2,217 members
- Push and Pray 4,878 photos, 285 members
- Japan Images 840,024 photos, 18,838 members
- Film Photography (1/day) 121,858 photos, 2,806 members
- I Shoot Film 2,579,943 photos, 106,570 members
- The Film Group 880,218 photos, 14,718 members
- FILM. 568,499 photos, 11,248 members
- Holga 252,750 photos, 19,358 members
- Trees, trees and more trees 310,855 photos, 19,392 members
- Photos from the 1970's 7,434 photos, 380 members
- Original 1970s 13,229 photos, 1,400 members
- Original 1960s 13,987 photos, 1,624 members
- 1960s 19,124 photos, 1,489 members
- 1950s 37,246 photos, 1,386 members
- 1940s 22,615 photos, 518 members
- Canon EOS 80 D 22,341 photos, 720 members
- The Canon EOS 80D Group 20,452 photos, 816 members
- The Monkey King 1,244 photos, 164 members
- Fujifilm Instax Room 44,330 photos, 8,925 members
- Best 1000 Free Pictures 1,062 photos, 673 members
- Frax 230 photos, 46 members
- Canon EOS-1 Series (EOS-1 EOS-1N EOS-1V) 10,382 photos, 1,093 members
- Mister Retro Plug-ins 250 photos, 45 members
- Fractal Magic: Post 1 ~ Award 1 3,467 photos, 124 members
- Lo-Fi Sky 3,474 photos, 319 members
- Ultra Fractal Gallery 1,371 photos, 93 members
- Impossible Project / Polaroid supporters!!!!!!!! 18,997 photos, 958 members
Thomas Hawk says:
"Kevin is one of the prolific powerhouses on Flickr. Constantly coming up with amazing new work and always keeping the quality and artistic bar very high. I love all of his work, but am especially fascinated by his recent work with Google Street View, showing that these days creativity can take so many forms. A wonderful Flickr contributor."
September 7th, 2013
"unlike most of his testimonials i am new to kevin's work and flicker, but on first view of his photo's i went directly to his profile to learn more...he is definately an innate teacher. another outstanding quality unlike most contacts is that he takes the time and thought to peruse others works...the most impressive quality is his play/love/fun of photography! i love people who do not take themselves so seriously and are always looking to find avenues of awareness thru creation. thanks for sharing and more importantly thanks for caring!"
January 24th, 2010
Brendan Ó Sé says:
"I've been a contact of Kevin for a while now, but only tonight did I come to check out his profile page (i see his great photographs all the time).
I think this page is a must see for anyone interested in photography and interested in understanding how Flickr works.
The essays are fantastically informative and helpful.
Kevin is a great contact and I can say that I have learnt a lot from viewing his work. It is always fresh and fun.
Keep it coming Kevin!"
November 21st, 2009
"I'm ecstatic about Kevin Dooley's work in Photo Art. While many master the photographic sciences (cameras, lens, filters, effects, processes, methodology, etc) and often use the same subjects, Kevin's work places him among the fewer- those who understand the ART of Photography!
Kevin's work is a Photo Art of human kind and our place in all that exists. His Photo Art speaks of: beauty & decadence, laughter & focused thought, fond memories & things yet to be, heart breaking follies & humbling natural creations.
Thank you Kevin- for speaking to my emotions and senses through your Photo Art. You inspire my songwriting passions. -Mo"
September 12th, 2009
"Inspiration well-defined. Lots of amazing and interesting techniques going on here. Kevin's photostream makes me "ooh" and "ahh". Take some time and explore his portfolio. It's well worth it."
May 28th, 2009
"Kevin is a real source of inspiration. His shots are never banal or boring, you can always find that spark that make you say: "Wow! How can he do this? How can he imagine this?". I'm very happy to have found such a talented photographer and great friend!"
April 21st, 2009
"Kevin has been one of my favorite Flickr members for quite a long time. His stream is really extraordinary for many reasons, but what really strikes me is the sheer restless creativity, experimentation and invention. He is a hard man to keep up with. And yet within the myriad different formats, styles, subjects, cameras, films and digital images there lies a easily discernible quality and consistency of vision that makes his stream such a pleasure to browse.
Nice one Kevvo, keep it up, please."
May 7th, 2009
Eni Turkeshi Imagery says:
"he's such a special , creative, keen, eye on flickr.love his way of seeing things and his humour as well.and he's such a friendly person i'm so glad i have run across in flickr!"
March 9th, 2009
"Many testimonials is a testimonial in and of itself. Kevin's diversely varied and expressive photography, insightful discourse, and friendly playful approach are refreshing. Hes an instant favorite flickr contact and he devotes gobs of time to others' Flickr experience. Incredibly, and perhaps best of all when you mix the letters in his name it spells Olive Donkey."
December 8th, 2008
"Kevin, I thank you for your generosity in taking the time to review photos in my photstream and offer witty comments or constructive tips, as necessary. It is with pleasure that I look at your photostream and see its brilliance. Thank you for helping to mentor a novice, and un-schooled photographer.
November 15th, 2008
Lady Smirnoff says:
"The master os 'textures'!
Kevin has an incredible sense to detect the extraordinary in the ordinary.
His stream is a continuous flow of inspiration to me!"
November 14th, 2008
Anne Strickland says:
"I have had the pleasure to be Kevin's contact for a year now and over that time, I can certainly say that Kevin has managed to keep my attention with an ever-changing genre of images and photography styles. You never know what Kevin is going to come up with next and that's what makes his photo stream an exciting place to visit. His extraordinary eye presents such ordinary things as the contents of his spice cabinet to us in a unique way that make us want to come back again and again to see where he will take us next. Thank you, Kevin, for sharing your vision!"
September 9th, 2008
"Kevin Dooley ...
is the REAL DEAL!
He connects to the world
from the grand state of Arizona!
He is a very great man
and I am glad to have
him as an amazing contact!
One day, I have discovered
a great picture titled:
"Each war is different,
Each war is the same"
Then I've found out that
the photographer of this
cool shot is Kevin.
I absolutely look forward
to read his comments about
my shots. I just love the way
he sees things and expresses
He has all kinds of shots.
Abstracts, B&W, Nature shots
as well as Macros and Flower shots.
You must check his
"Most Interesting" set
You will not be disappointed!
Wishing all the best
for the rest of his life!
Greetings from New York City"
August 10th, 2008
"Well, I'm not used to write testimonials or somethinh similar but Kevin's ArtWorks deserves more than a word...
... I really love Kevin's Works... when I take a deep look at his photostream I always find something different, something special... something unique!
Kevin is a very creative mind and his HartWorks reflects a personal reserce in colours, lights and forms...
... Go On, Kevin... keeping astonishing us!
August 1st, 2008
"Kevin has a refreshing perspective to photography...he takes his experiments to new levels and produces wonderful imagery as a result. From nature to urban environment...you will find a wonderful palette of photos from him...A great flickr friend...always kind and considerate...and we often see his witty personality spring forth in his descriptions! Always guaranteed a smile when visiting his stream...Thank you, Kevin for sharing the world with us through your lens!! =)"
July 26th, 2008
"Witty, inspirational approach to macro photography and minimal pieces are both can be found here. This stream is an eye candy and I always visit with joy and expectation. A stylish, original place on Flickr."
May 6th, 2008
"Kevin is the most irritating of flickr friends – not only does he photograph the urban environment with the greatest facility and an unfailingly aesthetic eye, he also takes the most brilliant of macros, surreal images, fantasy pictures and nature shots … and who knows what else he will come up with. In addition he is kind and helpful, funny and a great flickr friend. What is one to do about him?!"
April 9th, 2008
everett taasevigen says:
"the real thing"
January 20th, 2008
Shine On-Shine On says:
"Kevin is a very intelligent man. He has a very creative mind & it shows in his artwork! He cares for his family very much and I am honored to call him a friend!!! Cree Ann"
December 1st, 2007
"I get quite a view contacts daily on flickr and I look at everyoes streams,I sometimes dont get chance to comment on them all.Every now and then when you click on the "see their Photos button" you come across a gem.
kevin is one of those.He has a great eye for a photoa nd has a nack of making the ordinary ,extraordinary.Hes extremely generous with his comments and favs and which always seem genuine and not for the sake of it.
This makes him a valuable member of the flickr community and if he adds you as a contact, be glad....you are privillaged to have such a flickr friend.
keep up the inspiring work kev"
December 1st, 2007
"After viewing Kevin's all photoworks, I am very impressed about his photoshooting coverage & outstanding performance both at width & depth, sense & sensibility. From the nature, architecture scenery to the experimental abstract works , from the minor texture of a leave to the cloudscape in the sky, you can find his excellent management ability.
And beside of the professionalism he demonstrated at the artworks, one thing touched my heart is his love towards to his family & friends, which proved Kevin is a man full of love. And maybe the secret why he can create such amazing photoworks. If you are the one who just visit his photostream, don't hestiate, just click and look, you will find a wonderful world mixed with artistic & statistics."
November 7th, 2007
"He makes wondeful colours,great captures.I can see the world through his photos.I love this!!"
November 3rd, 2007
" i am speechless ... people says so ... you are great.. all your works are great.... i love them all! ...salute!..keep up the good job, and thanks too..i have to learn more...smiles"
August 15th, 2007
- Kevin Dooley
- February 2007
- Chicago, IL
- Chandler, AZ, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken