Hi! Thanks for your interest in my photos. See information below about some of my essays about amateur photography and Flickr, use of my images, and the cameras I use.
How Flickr works and other photo essays
Did you want to learn more about how Flickr works? Want some ideas on how to improve your photography? Here are some essays that will help:
* Ten things you can do to improve interestingness and increase chances of getting into Explore
* All About Flickr titles, text, tags, and views
* All about Creative Commons
* All about Flickr contacts
* All about Flickr favorites
* The scaling issue in digital art
* How Flickr is diffferent than "great" photography
* At a loss for Flickr comments? Here's a catalog
* Five key decisions in photography.
* How I make the Christmas light paintings.
* Jamie Livingston - A 365x19 series you MUST see!
* The Impassioned Eye, Henri Cartier-Besson.
* You can't always get what you give: A study of Flickr award groups
* The skills of enthusiastic amateurs
* Open source photography--are you in or out?
* Suspicion, trust, and Flickr
* I'm bokeh, you're bokeh, pure bokeh
* See the World Through My Eyes and Explore the Motel at Wink's Place in the Golden Garden of Karma because L'amicizia fa la differenza! (or, Flickr the Soap Opera)
* Why is one of my photos more Interesting than the other?
* Photography versus video
* Flickr life
* Live photography
Using my images
My photos are under Creative Commons license, which means you can use them but you must attribute the photo back to me.
Please place my name ("Kevin Dooley") and a link back to the photo's Flickr page somewhere appropriate on the website or document.
My main interests are in street photography (with or without people), landscape photography, and event photography. I use a variety of digital and analog cameras and like to experiment. With people shots I like to capture moments, whereas with building or landscape shots I am mainly interested in composition. In both cases, I want to create something the viewer can enjoy and gets viewed by many, but also that possibly documents some element of our society or a location at a point in time, never to be the same again.
Most of my post-processing involves micro-rotation (I am obsessed with horizons being exactly parallel) and cropping, where my interest is focused on composition and sometimes squaring. I use a lot of "rule of thirds" in composing; for example, in people shots I will try to put the focus of intended attention at one of the one-third or two-thirds positions. I use iPhoto for 95% of my editing and use Photomatix for HDR processing.
Digital: I currently most often use a Sony RX100, and less my Canon 80D with Canon or Sigma lenses. In the past I've also used the Canon 40D, S95, Canon G7, and Olympus Stylus. I've used the Motorola Zine, My Touch G4, and iPhone cell phone cameras. Currently on the iPhone I mostly use the Hipstamatic app.
Analog: In 35mm, I use the Lomography Diana+ mini, Lomography Fisheye2, Eximus Wide & Slim, Vivitar Ultra Wide & Slim, Lomography Sprocket Rocket, and other trashcams. For medium format I use the Lomography Diana+, Holga TLR, and Kowa Super 66. I use Kodak and Fuji film, although I have a special spot for Ilford 3600, like to cross-process, and use Tempe Cameras for film processing.
* Most Interesting, according to Flickr's Interestingness algorithm
* Images in Explore at one time or another
Google Street View projects
Google Street View is one of the greatest photographic accomplishments ever. One of my current projects is to use Google Street View to take long, virtual treks. I photo mine, selecting interesting, mostly obscure images from amongst the trillions available and post-process.
I have concluded a “Pan-American Trek that went from Deadhorse, Alaska to Ushuaia, Argentina, covering 16,000 km. My current trek is “KD’s World Tour” which is following a path of reverse human migration from the Antarctic to the Middle East, via Asia, Russia, and Europe.
I explain my general interest in Google Street View, and the philosophical question of "is this photography" here: link.
Here is an article in a German newspaper about it: link.
I explain my selection and process workflow in detail here: link.
I am married with a wonderful family and live in Chandler, Arizona. I am a professor at Arizona State University and Chief Scientist at The Sustainability Consortium. My specialities are sustainability, supply chain management, and complexity science. My academic profession requires me to travel broadly so I get to photograph many different places.
- Yahoo Search Distribution 3,257 photos, 394 members
- Science, Art and Tech 5,892 photos, 541 members
- Laboratory 7,176 photos, 1,206 members
- Microscopy 13,598 photos, 1,295 members
- Science! 4,160 photos, 372 members
- Microscopy Art 3,978 photos, 381 members
- microscope 6,783 photos, 439 members
- Uncomplicated and Uncluttered 17,928 photos, 710 members
- Fujifilm Instax 17,411 photos, 2,061 members
- Instax Black and White 154 photos, 153 members
- minimalmonochromaticism 14,285 photos, 933 members
- Minimalist Photography 101 43,448 photos, 2,725 members
- Urbanjunglism - Urban jungle minimalism 4,186 photos, 974 members
- more less is more 5,751 photos, 1,219 members
- CLAVE BLACK 10,968 photos, 2,708 members
- brilliant flickr 925,189 photos, 22,733 members
- Red and Blue/Comment on 2 27,163 photos, 3,108 members
- flickr (unofficial) 6,319,129 photos, 118,372 members
- ***SCREAM OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER*** 2,668,112 photos, 52,380 members
- "Unlimited Photos: No Rules" 4,287,396 photos, 26,769 members
- ! ART & PHOTOGRAPHY ! No rules, No comments, Just Post 1,571,521 photos, 26,129 members
- ☆★ SNAPS ★☆ 72,362 photos, 598 members
- Canada 150 celebration 5,164 photos, 149 members
- A MODEL WORLD 1,475 photos, 61 members
- Friends who care... Post 1 Award 3 28,368 photos, 778 members
- Graffiti Photography 98,256 photos, 3,262 members
- Graffiti-non-stop 44,517 photos, 1,240 members
- Graffiti-Streetart-Urbanart 226,962 photos, 1,833 members
- Graffiti of the world 227,176 photos, 6,287 members
- Graffiti Hall 50,078 photos, 843 members
- Painted Wall Art 78,113 photos, 1,970 members
- Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 Art 38,299 photos, 3,373 members
- Odd, unusual, weird, wacky, or custom cars 23,545 photos, 1,005 members
- Odd and Abstract 111,561 photos, 5,375 members
- California Haunts & Jaunts 6,425 photos, 165 members
- California Photography 106,720 photos, 3,931 members
- Sliders Sunday -- Post Processed To The MAX! 55,716 photos, 2,456 members
- Der Zeit die Augenblicke stehlen 6,488 photos, 84 members
- Art 2 La Rue Graffiti 9,277 photos, 332 members
- MOFO Images -B&W- (More Of Flickr Originals) 129,543 photos, 2,938 members
- PHOTOCLASSIC 107,787 photos, 2,341 members
- MINIMAL black&white 85,665 photos, 11,027 members
- Recitation - Great Art , Great Graffiti 5,309 photos, 91 members
- Russia 176,192 photos, 5,758 members
- FlickRussian: говорим по-русски! 471,045 photos, 19,060 members
- ! !^ItalianLifeStyle 15+ Faves (Level 1) 26,280 photos, 1,360 members
- Sony RX100 Watercolor & Illustrator 1,174 photos, 76 members
- Maximal minimalism 44,199 photos, 2,820 members
- Push and Pray 6,289 photos, 312 members
- Japan Images 908,484 photos, 20,032 members
- winterland 50 photos
- hurricane harvey 42 photos
- photographers 44 photos
- decay 34 photos
- cell generation (3) 50 photos
- cell generation (2) 50 photos
- cell generation 50 photos
- texting 2 47 photos
- first 50 faves 49 photos
- texting 43 photos
- reading 3 47 photos
- reading 2 50 photos
- coffee 46 photos
- reading 50 photos
- thinking 31 photos
- Amazing! 34 photos
- Purple 41 photos
- Oh Winter! 47 photos
- composers 34 photos
- Blizzard Jonas (2016) 34 photos
- Freddie Gray - Baltimore protests 16 photos
- Nepal earthquake 2015 16 photos
- Typhoon Haiyan (Yolanda) 11 photos
- Colorado flood Sept 2013 14 photos
- Boston Marathon bombing 2013 11 photos
- Weddings 16 photos
- Tag = fun #2 15 photos
- Tag = fun 15 photos
- Odd & fun 12 photos
- Retro people 8 photos
- Heavenly Holga #2 15 photos
- Heavenly Holga 15 photos
- Phenomenal pinholes #2 9 photos
- Phenomenal pinholes 13 photos
- Fantastic fisheye photos #2 15 photos
- Fantastic fisheye photos 13 photos
- Flickr's most awesome cat shots #4 9 photos
- Flickr's most awesome cat shots #3 15 photos
- Flickr's most awesome cat shots #2 14 photos
- Flickr's most awesome cat shots #1 15 photos
- Doll shots 16 photos
- Hurricane Sandy 15 photos
- Eduardo's Portugal 15 photos
- Goorn23's Croatia 15 photos
- The Father's Germany 15 photos
- ~lala~ land 17 photos
- Simon's UK 16 photos
- Lady Smirnoff's South America 15 photos
- Kelvin's Asia 18 photos
- Steve's Wonderful World of Composition 18 photos
- David's New York City 16 photos
- Ilse's Remarkable Women 15 photos
- Zinni's Greenland 18 photos
"Kevin was my contact for couple of days , I was lazy on viewing his stream in depth and write a testimonial for him, Sorry My friend !!Hope you do not :(
If you are a newbie in flickr and did not add Kevin, you miss a lot, If you are Old in Flickr still have lack of knowledge abt Flickering, you better add him and learn abt Flickr,
He is cool in research work, Wonderful helping person in a web relation,
I always found him coming to my stream after a long gap and when he come he really notice me through his comments,
He make Good Photograph and work close to his contacts,
II shall be very very hAPPLY IF YOU JOIN MY fLICKER GROUP
frame BANGLADESH from this below lINK :
Wish you best of luck
February 16th, 2016
Thomas Hawk says:
"Kevin is one of the prolific powerhouses on Flickr. Constantly coming up with amazing new work and always keeping the quality and artistic bar very high. I love all of his work, but am especially fascinated by his recent work with Google Street View, showing that these days creativity can take so many forms. A wonderful Flickr contributor."
September 7th, 2013
"unlike most of his testimonials i am new to kevin's work and flicker, but on first view of his photo's i went directly to his profile to learn more...he is definately an innate teacher. another outstanding quality unlike most contacts is that he takes the time and thought to peruse others works...the most impressive quality is his play/love/fun of photography! i love people who do not take themselves so seriously and are always looking to find avenues of awareness thru creation. thanks for sharing and more importantly thanks for caring!"
January 24th, 2010
Brendan Ó Sé says:
"I've been a contact of Kevin for a while now, but only tonight did I come to check out his profile page (i see his great photographs all the time).
I think this page is a must see for anyone interested in photography and interested in understanding how Flickr works.
The essays are fantastically informative and helpful.
Kevin is a great contact and I can say that I have learnt a lot from viewing his work. It is always fresh and fun.
Keep it coming Kevin!"
November 21st, 2009
"I'm ecstatic about Kevin Dooley's work in Photo Art. While many master the photographic sciences (cameras, lens, filters, effects, processes, methodology, etc) and often use the same subjects, Kevin's work places him among the fewer- those who understand the ART of Photography!
Kevin's work is a Photo Art of human kind and our place in all that exists. His Photo Art speaks of: beauty & decadence, laughter & focused thought, fond memories & things yet to be, heart breaking follies & humbling natural creations.
Thank you Kevin- for speaking to my emotions and senses through your Photo Art. You inspire my songwriting passions. -Mo"
September 12th, 2009
"Inspiration well-defined. Lots of amazing and interesting techniques going on here. Kevin's photostream makes me "ooh" and "ahh". Take some time and explore his portfolio. It's well worth it."
May 28th, 2009
"Kevin is a real source of inspiration. His shots are never banal or boring, you can always find that spark that make you say: "Wow! How can he do this? How can he imagine this?". I'm very happy to have found such a talented photographer and great friend!"
April 21st, 2009
"Kevin has been one of my favorite Flickr members for quite a long time. His stream is really extraordinary for many reasons, but what really strikes me is the sheer restless creativity, experimentation and invention. He is a hard man to keep up with. And yet within the myriad different formats, styles, subjects, cameras, films and digital images there lies a easily discernible quality and consistency of vision that makes his stream such a pleasure to browse.
Nice one Kevvo, keep it up, please."
May 7th, 2009
Eni Turkeshi Imagery says:
"he's such a special , creative, keen, eye on flickr.love his way of seeing things and his humour as well.and he's such a friendly person i'm so glad i have run across in flickr!"
March 9th, 2009
"Many testimonials is a testimonial in and of itself. Kevin's diversely varied and expressive photography, insightful discourse, and friendly playful approach are refreshing. Hes an instant favorite flickr contact and he devotes gobs of time to others' Flickr experience. Incredibly, and perhaps best of all when you mix the letters in his name it spells Olive Donkey."
December 8th, 2008
"Kevin, I thank you for your generosity in taking the time to review photos in my photstream and offer witty comments or constructive tips, as necessary. It is with pleasure that I look at your photostream and see its brilliance. Thank you for helping to mentor a novice, and un-schooled photographer.
November 15th, 2008
Lady Smirnoff says:
"The master os 'textures'!
Kevin has an incredible sense to detect the extraordinary in the ordinary.
His stream is a continuous flow of inspiration to me!"
November 14th, 2008
Anne Strickland says:
"I have had the pleasure to be Kevin's contact for a year now and over that time, I can certainly say that Kevin has managed to keep my attention with an ever-changing genre of images and photography styles. You never know what Kevin is going to come up with next and that's what makes his photo stream an exciting place to visit. His extraordinary eye presents such ordinary things as the contents of his spice cabinet to us in a unique way that make us want to come back again and again to see where he will take us next. Thank you, Kevin, for sharing your vision!"
September 9th, 2008
"Kevin Dooley ...
is the REAL DEAL!
He connects to the world
from the grand state of Arizona!
He is a very great man
and I am glad to have
him as an amazing contact!
One day, I have discovered
a great picture titled:
"Each war is different,
Each war is the same"
Then I've found out that
the photographer of this
cool shot is Kevin.
I absolutely look forward
to read his comments about
my shots. I just love the way
he sees things and expresses
He has all kinds of shots.
Abstracts, B&W, Nature shots
as well as Macros and Flower shots.
You must check his
"Most Interesting" set
You will not be disappointed!
Wishing all the best
for the rest of his life!
Greetings from New York City"
August 10th, 2008
"Well, I'm not used to write testimonials or somethinh similar but Kevin's ArtWorks deserves more than a word...
... I really love Kevin's Works... when I take a deep look at his photostream I always find something different, something special... something unique!
Kevin is a very creative mind and his HartWorks reflects a personal reserce in colours, lights and forms...
... Go On, Kevin... keeping astonishing us!
August 1st, 2008
"Kevin has a refreshing perspective to photography...he takes his experiments to new levels and produces wonderful imagery as a result. From nature to urban environment...you will find a wonderful palette of photos from him...A great flickr friend...always kind and considerate...and we often see his witty personality spring forth in his descriptions! Always guaranteed a smile when visiting his stream...Thank you, Kevin for sharing the world with us through your lens!! =)"
July 26th, 2008
"Witty, inspirational approach to macro photography and minimal pieces are both can be found here. This stream is an eye candy and I always visit with joy and expectation. A stylish, original place on Flickr."
May 6th, 2008
"Kevin is the most irritating of flickr friends – not only does he photograph the urban environment with the greatest facility and an unfailingly aesthetic eye, he also takes the most brilliant of macros, surreal images, fantasy pictures and nature shots … and who knows what else he will come up with. In addition he is kind and helpful, funny and a great flickr friend. What is one to do about him?!"
April 9th, 2008
everett taasevigen says:
"the real thing"
January 20th, 2008
quizzical meeting says:
"Kevin is a very intelligent man. He has a very creative mind & it shows in his artwork! He cares for his family very much and I am honored to call him a friend!!! Cree Ann"
December 1st, 2007
"I get quite a view contacts daily on flickr and I look at everyoes streams,I sometimes dont get chance to comment on them all.Every now and then when you click on the "see their Photos button" you come across a gem.
kevin is one of those.He has a great eye for a photoa nd has a nack of making the ordinary ,extraordinary.Hes extremely generous with his comments and favs and which always seem genuine and not for the sake of it.
This makes him a valuable member of the flickr community and if he adds you as a contact, be glad....you are privillaged to have such a flickr friend.
keep up the inspiring work kev"
December 1st, 2007
"After viewing Kevin's all photoworks, I am very impressed about his photoshooting coverage & outstanding performance both at width & depth, sense & sensibility. From the nature, architecture scenery to the experimental abstract works , from the minor texture of a leave to the cloudscape in the sky, you can find his excellent management ability.
And beside of the professionalism he demonstrated at the artworks, one thing touched my heart is his love towards to his family & friends, which proved Kevin is a man full of love. And maybe the secret why he can create such amazing photoworks. If you are the one who just visit his photostream, don't hestiate, just click and look, you will find a wonderful world mixed with artistic & statistics."
November 7th, 2007
"He makes wondeful colours,great captures.I can see the world through his photos.I love this!!"
November 3rd, 2007
" i am speechless ... people says so ... you are great.. all your works are great.... i love them all! ...salute!..keep up the good job, and thanks too..i have to learn more...smiles"
August 15th, 2007
- Kevin Dooley
- February 2007
- Chicago, IL
- Chandler, AZ, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Professor, Arizona State University