My pictures have been a documentation of my ordinary life. They have become a photo diary with some creative inspirations in the mix. A few years ago, I wanted to join a 365-type group and so have since taken at least one "selfie" every day since. Often pressed for time, I find now that there are an inordinate number of pictures of me in the mix. I am confident though that in the future I will appreciate the nostalgia of these safely-stored life-story photos. Already I find it fascinating how I've changed over time.
Few of my photos are “shopped” or artificially edited beyond occasional cropping and an occasional edit aside from in-camera special effects since these intentionally occur at the time the photo is taken and not in post digital-development. I realize that Flickr began and caters to the professionally-striving photographer and I appreciate that. I take and keep my photos from a pleasure and hobby perspective. I appreciate excellent candid captures; my own and others. I feel strongly that a truthful and straightforward capture manifests the sincerest art of photography. I am not a photographic artist, but admire those here on Flickr who are. Unedited photos outnumber “shopped” or edited photos in my Favorites because I feel altering a photo moves the picture from the realm of the art of photography to the realm of photography as art. Mostly I save photos in my favorites because they are something that I might one day like to replicate in some fashion myself and some because I have an appreciation for the male form.
Many of my photos have at least the persons face and almost all have a date stamp. The date stamp sometimes detracts from the artistic value of some of the creative inspirations, but have you ever tried to keep track of 70,000 digital photos and keep those photos organized for a period of two decades 5 to 50 photos at a time? Over the decades this amounts to several computers, hundreds of digital backups, and at least a dozen different hard drives.
That brings me to my personal time-investment in Flickr as a photo site. I joined Flickr in 2007 and since have spent countless hours uploading, organizing, and storing my photos for my personal posterity. Since 2007 other internet digital photo sites have grown such as Google+/Picasa, Facebook, Instagram…and probably countless others, but the investment I have in Flickr is not transportable.
For instance, Google annoyingly uploads every photo I have taken and or stored and now has 175,000 of my 60,000 photos. That math does not add up. I imagine that means there are at least 3 redundancies for every photo I have…now how many months of intensive time investment do you think it would take me to find, delete, edit…et cetera all of those? I haven’t really seen a strong editor/organizer in Google+ photos either. Facebook is the most social of all and makes no bones about its commercial enterprise I think that is one reason I avoid it. Not that I am naïve about Yahoo/Flickr, Google of course and others being in business for the purpose of profit.
Again, none of these “investments” are transportable at this point. For this reason I feel bound to Flickr’s fate and roll with Flickr’s changes. Even if I were to use Bulkr to download all 60,000 photos I have at this time on Flickr (which would still take weeks), I would lose the people I follow on a daily basis along with comments, stats, titles, albums, descriptions, expressed opinions, and not to mention the more than 500 different websites I have found that make use of the photos and images I have posted as creative commons. About once a month or so I’ll do a Google search and find websites, blogs, and articles that have used my images and I admit I get a little bit of a thrill out of it. I save these on Pinterest so I might be able to find them later. And these are just the ones I find! At this time I have over 22,000,000 views tallied according to my Flickr stats aggregate and I know that most likely 99% of these “views” are no more than photos of mine that show up among hundreds of others within internet searches. I sometimes mention to others the 22 million views and joke that I might be unknowingly followed in some small community in a remote part of the world somewhere.
Comments are always welcome.
- Crocs and Feet 71 photos, 62 members
- Anklets and Feet 158 photos, 125 members
- Barefoot in Nature 392 photos, 174 members
- Barefoot Transport 62 photos, 105 members
- Flip Flop Feet 1,070 photos, 205 members
- Barefoot by the Sea 640 photos, 177 members
- Painted Feet 112 photos, 117 members
- Barefoot on the Street 1,514 photos, 398 members
- Barefoot at Home 340 photos, 239 members
- Engineering as Art 131,574 photos, 5,067 members
- Renaissance 35,800 photos, 1,247 members
- -- Cooking & Eating -- 31,183 photos, 1,442 members
- Pumpkin Art Group 3,631 photos, 796 members
- Headwear Wednesday 259 photos, 100 members
- Summertime is barefoot time. 3,725 photos, 502 members
- Broward Photography (South Florida) 3,948 photos, 221 members
- Your pics and shots 719,530 photos, 7,071 members
- All Free Pictures (Creative Commons and Public Domain) 190,435 photos, 6,083 members
- Rain in the city... and in the country 30,375 photos, 5,933 members
- Drive By Shooting! 69,013 photos, 3,363 members
- While Driving 4,520 photos, 256 members
- You...Driving 309 photos, 112 members
- Driving to Work 334 photos, 74 members
- SELF-PORTRAIT 222,306 photos, 18,012 members
- Epcot 39,442 photos, 1,686 members
- Disney Geeks 140,129 photos, 2,788 members
- Your photo goes here! no 30/60 926,017 photos, 8,458 members
- L.G.B.T. O - Express Yourself ! (30,60 free ) 2,817 photos, 87 members
- Anti Gravity 22,562 photos, 1,492 members
- Kilted Life - A Celebration ! 20,247 photos, 2,547 members
- In Numerical Order 2,305 photos, 11,640 members
- I Ate This 698,378 photos, 42,806 members
- What's your angle, buddy? 903,632 photos, 43,564 members
- Orange and Blue 60,088 photos, 17,314 members
- Landscape photography 2,402,938 photos, 95,112 members
- Aircraft Spotting 1,820,742 photos, 13,424 members
- FLICKR NATURE 4,523,359 photos, 72,295 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,378,834 photos, 191,817 members
- Movement & Motion 675,456 photos, 53,582 members
- steampunk 30,219 photos, 3,845 members
- GOTHIC & STEAMPUNK PHOTOS 9,061 photos, 298 members
- *Gent*Ghent*Gand*Gante* > Beautiful city of Belgium 5,430 photos, 624 members
- Art Climbers 15,149 photos, 1,819 members
- Beautiful Hell 16,634 photos, 3,037 members
- My Favourite photo - la mia foto preferita 280,901 photos, 8,076 members
- Meringues, Macarons, Frosting, and Whipped Cream 27,778 photos, 1,374 members
- Food Porn 820,535 photos, 63,263 members
- Anything essential is invisible to the eyes; NO SALES OR ADS! 411,708 photos, 6,462 members
- iClick! 347,034 photos, 3,041 members
- Graves, Tombs And Cemeteries 314,040 photos, 45,880 members
osseous doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- July 2007
- Oakland Park, Florida
- I am:
- Male and Taken