My pictures have been a documentation of my ordinary life. They have become a photo diary with some creative inspirations in the mix. A few years ago, I wanted to join a 365-type group and so have since taken at least one "selfie" every day since. Often pressed for time, I find now that there are an inordinate number of pictures of me in the mix. I am confident though that in the future I will appreciate the nostalgia of these safely-stored life-story photos. Already I find it fascinating how I've changed over time.
Few of my photos are “shopped” or artificially edited beyond occasional cropping and an occasional edit aside from in-camera special effects since these intentionally occur at the time the photo is taken and not in post digital-development. I realize that Flickr began and caters to the professionally-striving photographer and I appreciate that. I take and keep my photos from a pleasure and hobby perspective. I appreciate excellent candid captures; my own and others. I feel strongly that a truthful and straightforward capture manifests the sincerest art of photography. I am not a photographic artist, but admire those here on Flickr who are. Unedited photos outnumber “shopped” or edited photos in my Favorites because I feel altering a photo moves the picture from the realm of the art of photography to the realm of photography as art. Mostly I save photos in my favorites because they are something that I might one day like to replicate in some fashion myself and some because I have an appreciation for the male form.
Many of my photos have at least the persons face and almost all have a date stamp. The date stamp sometimes detracts from the artistic value of some of the creative inspirations, but have you ever tried to keep track of 70,000 digital photos and keep those photos organized for a period of two decades 5 to 50 photos at a time? Over the decades this amounts to several computers, hundreds of digital backups, and at least a dozen different hard drives.
That brings me to my personal time-investment in Flickr as a photo site. I joined Flickr in 2007 and since have spent countless hours uploading, organizing, and storing my photos for my personal posterity. Since 2007 other internet digital photo sites have grown such as Google+/Picasa, Facebook, Instagram…and probably countless others, but the investment I have in Flickr is not transportable.
For instance, Google annoyingly uploads every photo I have taken and or stored and now has 175,000 of my 60,000 photos. That math does not add up. I imagine that means there are at least 3 redundancies for every photo I have…now how many months of intensive time investment do you think it would take me to find, delete, edit…et cetera all of those? I haven’t really seen a strong editor/organizer in Google+ photos either. Facebook is the most social of all and makes no bones about its commercial enterprise I think that is one reason I avoid it. Not that I am naïve about Yahoo/Flickr, Google of course and others being in business for the purpose of profit.
Again, none of these “investments” are transportable at this point. For this reason I feel bound to Flickr’s fate and roll with Flickr’s changes. Even if I were to use Bulkr to download all 60,000 photos I have at this time on Flickr (which would still take weeks), I would lose the people I follow on a daily basis along with comments, stats, titles, albums, descriptions, expressed opinions, and not to mention the more than 500 different websites I have found that make use of the photos and images I have posted as creative commons. About once a month or so I’ll do a Google search and find websites, blogs, and articles that have used my images and I admit I get a little bit of a thrill out of it. I save these on Pinterest so I might be able to find them later. And these are just the ones I find! At this time I have over 22,000,000 views tallied according to my Flickr stats aggregate and I know that most likely 99% of these “views” are no more than photos of mine that show up among hundreds of others within internet searches. I sometimes mention to others the 22 million views and joke that I might be unknowingly followed in some small community in a remote part of the world somewhere.
Comments are always welcome.
- Crocs and Feet 68 photos, 56 members
- Anklets and Feet 126 photos, 104 members
- Barefoot in Nature 309 photos, 135 members
- Barefoot Transport 64 photos, 93 members
- Flip Flop Feet 814 photos, 171 members
- Barefoot by the Sea 493 photos, 161 members
- Painted Feet 79 photos, 106 members
- Barefoot on the Street 1,330 photos, 348 members
- Barefoot at Home 293 photos, 215 members
- Engineering as Art 125,717 photos, 4,986 members
- Life Through A Hole 132,305 photos, 3,939 members
- Renaissance 35,064 photos, 1,253 members
- -- Cooking & Eating -- / CLOSED 29,645 photos, 1,399 members
- Pumpkin Art Group 3,594 photos, 797 members
- Headwear Wednesday 242 photos, 98 members
- Summertime is barefoot time. 3,452 photos, 476 members
- Broward Photography (South Florida) 3,642 photos, 215 members
- Your pics and shots 715,006 photos, 6,981 members
- All Free Pictures (Creative Commons and Public Domain) 151,487 photos, 5,853 members
- Rain in the city... and in the country 30,680 photos, 5,933 members
- Drive By Shooting! 70,060 photos, 3,379 members
- While Driving 4,526 photos, 258 members
- You...Driving 302 photos, 112 members
- Driving to Work 343 photos, 76 members
- SELF-PORTRAIT 224,713 photos, 18,080 members
- Epcot 38,415 photos, 1,665 members
- Disney Geeks 136,832 photos, 2,774 members
- Your photo goes here! no 30/60 766,225 photos, 7,753 members
- L.G.B.T. O - Express Yourself ! (30,60 free ) 2,907 photos, 82 members
- Anti Gravity 22,268 photos, 1,489 members
- Kilted Life - A Celebration ! 20,197 photos, 2,543 members
- In Numerical Order 2,325 photos, 11,616 members
- I Ate This 700,532 photos, 42,848 members
- What's your angle, buddy? 917,425 photos, 43,358 members
- Orange and Blue 59,299 photos, 17,178 members
- Landscape photography 2,203,805 photos, 90,651 members
- Aircraft Spotting 1,621,667 photos, 12,947 members
- FLICKR NATURE 4,138,281 photos, 68,505 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,448,325 photos, 183,197 members
- Movement & Motion 670,553 photos, 53,596 members
- steampunk 29,360 photos, 3,783 members
- GOTHIC & STEAMPUNK PHOTOS 8,963 photos, 272 members
- *Gent*Ghent*Gand*Gante* > Beautiful city of Belgium 4,975 photos, 599 members
- Art Climbers 14,960 photos, 1,815 members
- Beautiful Hell 15,803 photos, 3,042 members
- My Favourite photo - la mia foto preferita 253,997 photos, 7,741 members
- Meringues, Macarons, and Whipped Cream 25,440 photos, 1,271 members
- Food Porn 817,960 photos, 63,733 members
- Anything essential is invisible to the eyes; NO SALES OR ADS! 396,963 photos, 6,374 members
- iClick! 314,232 photos, 3,004 members
osseous doesn't have any testimonials yet.
- July 2007
- Oakland Park, Florida
- I am:
- Male and Taken