I'm a massive geek. As with most geeks, I'm fascinated by all things technological; it's what I do for a living, as well as a hobby (and obsession?)
a while back I found myself really burnt out, and I realized that I had let all of my non-computer-related hobbies and interests fall by the wayside. So I decided to pick them back up and spend some time focusing on them and not computers for a bit.
This led me to rediscover a number of things I had been missing- but also to some new levels of geekness, really. I started getting heavily into origami, and especially into very technical folding (often referred to as origami sekkei, or "technical paper folding".)
So while I enjoy folding all kinds of things, I've just been posting items which I have created myself. all of the items I post to flickr are independently created/invented/dreamed up by me, unless otherwise stated.
It's a big deal for me, as I really dislike the lack of information sharing in the origami world- I want to bring some of the open-source style sharing to them, preferably via the Creative Commons licensing ideals. I've made some headway on that front by releasing diagrams and crease patterns under a CC license, available on my website - it's located at www.origamitessellations.com.
- Concurso de creación, convención AEP 2013 25 photos, 34 members
- The Art of Papermaking 153 photos, 33 members
- CDO Verbania 2009 191 photos, 10 members
- Origami Tessellations Design Challenge 2009 8 photos, 36 members
- -fold- 4,325 photos, 268 members
- CDO Verbania 2008 231 photos, 17 members
- Pacific Rim Origami 150 photos, 12 members
- curved fold 1,351 photos, 290 members
- Origami As Sculptural Art 716 photos, 225 members
- Origami Tessellation Design Challenge 2008 45 photos, 97 members
- MetaFilter 2,185 photos, 637 members
- Origami Tessellation Molecules 761 photos, 190 members
- Computer Aided Origami 605 photos, 198 members
- Anamorphosis 105 photos, 209 members
- folding & architecture 214 photos, 29 members
- origami and architecture 1,188 photos, 152 members
- Origami Designs (Your own designs only) 17,189 photos, 743 members
- Origami Tutorial 508 photos, 209 members
- Origami USA Annual Convention Pictures 1,862 photos, 84 members
- Starkstruck 68 photos, 47 members
- Nishimura Yuko Appreciation Society 14 photos, 32 members
- Digital fabrication 4,589 photos, 996 members
- Hexagon 557 photos, 142 members
- YURTS 978 photos, 287 members
- Obsessive Compulsive Art Tendencies (OCAT) 61,260 photos, 2,595 members
- Craft Robo 495 photos, 86 members
- international graphic design 77,054 photos, 6,476 members
- The Divine Art Movement 224 photos, 45 members
- Geodesic & Geodetic 286 photos, 121 members
- World Arts and Craft; clay, paper and more 23,495 photos, 1,195 members
- Paper Craft 32,438 photos, 2,775 members
- Geodesic Dome Research 140 photos, 61 members
- A World of Origami 37,795 photos, 1,664 members
- Origami Workshop 6,042 photos, 295 members
- Origami Corrugations 2,080 photos, 536 members
- Artworks on Paper 323,268 photos, 12,036 members
- 3D paper art 22,083 photos, 2,101 members
- Generative & Evolutionary Art 16,973 photos, 1,083 members
- ORIGAMI (Brasil) 6,248 photos, 611 members
- Surface Designs 4,582 photos, 299 members
- Craft as Art 30,550 photos, 1,519 members
- Paper Lovers 11,519 photos, 583 members
- Muslim Cultures 101,893 photos, 11,121 members
- Iranian 73,000 photos, 3,719 members
- CRAFT 245,369 photos, 14,281 members
- Mosques and Minarets 48,392 photos, 6,667 members
- Islam 14,380 photos, 1,455 members
- Mandala Central 7,400 photos, 826 members
- Geometría 6,935 photos, 652 members
- Symmetrical Photographs 2,078 photos, 290 members
"Eric's work brought me in the wonderful world of origami tessellations. His knowledge of tessellations/tilings/geometrical stuff is really wide and never cease to amaze me with his kind of new models and techniques. Beside this he is a really nice person, kind and sunny, which doesn't hurt!"
May 27th, 2008
"It's since I've met C. Palmer for the first time, several years ago, that I'm not astonished in this way by a paperfolder. Sometimes I think that this man doesn't sleep *never*, to think and to fold these beautiful works."
August 15th, 2007
Ray Schamp says:
"Eric's photos brought me into Flickr, and thus into this great community of origamists. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of origami tessellations, which he shares freely -- both here, and on his blog. Seeing the progress of his talent is inspiring and demystifies -- while piquing one's interest in -- one of the coolest genres of paperfolding."
April 18th, 2007
En Why See says:
"Eric's work is groundbreaking, and seemingly effortless. Especially important is how he develops new ways of teaching us all a relatively complex form of artistic expression with paper. I've learned that his wife is also an extreme talent herself in the "softer" arts of temari and kirigami. Eric's devotion to open source is key to us all understanding ancient [and modern] art without a mentoring sen-sei at our disposal."
December 13th, 2006
"Eric can work magic with a single sheet of paper! His origami creations are awe-inspiring and incredible to behold.
His photos also provide a glimpse of what life is like up in Minnesota. (this Cali Girl has no clue!)
Oh yeah, he's got some mouthwatering pics of bekazushi.
Last but certainly not least, he's a nice guy!"
December 22nd, 2005
"Origomi's tesselations have greatly widened my perspective on what can be done in the world of origami tesselations. He once asked if I had super speed folding- I wonder the same about him! every week I see beautiful new creations."
October 20th, 2005
alida saxon says:
"His origami foldings are as complicated as they are beautiful. Math turned into art. Well worth keeping an eye on to see what he comes up with next."
September 26th, 2005
"It's so refreshing to see a photostream like Origomi's. I'm a big origami fan and I'm delighted to have found such a wonderful collection of original work. Beautiful stuff!"
June 1st, 2005
- Eric Gjerde
- March 2005
- Minneapolis, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Origami Tessellations
- origomi [at] mac.com