I'm a massive geek. As with most geeks, I'm fascinated by all things technological; it's what I do for a living, as well as a hobby (and obsession?)
a while back I found myself really burnt out, and I realized that I had let all of my non-computer-related hobbies and interests fall by the wayside. So I decided to pick them back up and spend some time focusing on them and not computers for a bit.
This led me to rediscover a number of things I had been missing- but also to some new levels of geekness, really. I started getting heavily into origami, and especially into very technical folding (often referred to as origami sekkei, or "technical paper folding".)
So while I enjoy folding all kinds of things, I've just been posting items which I have created myself. all of the items I post to flickr are independently created/invented/dreamed up by me, unless otherwise stated.
It's a big deal for me, as I really dislike the lack of information sharing in the origami world- I want to bring some of the open-source style sharing to them, preferably via the Creative Commons licensing ideals. I've made some headway on that front by releasing diagrams and crease patterns under a CC license, available on my website - it's located at www.origamitessellations.com.
- Concurso de creación, convención AEP 2013 25 photos, 33 members
- The Art of Papermaking 153 photos, 33 members
- CDO Verbania 2009 191 photos, 10 members
- Origami Tessellations Design Challenge 2009 8 photos, 35 members
- -fold- 4,312 photos, 266 members
- CDO Verbania 2008 231 photos, 17 members
- Pacific Rim Origami 150 photos, 12 members
- curved fold 1,271 photos, 280 members
- Origami As Sculptural Art 716 photos, 221 members
- Origami Tessellation Design Challenge 2008 44 photos, 93 members
- MetaFilter 2,186 photos, 637 members
- Origami Tessellation Molecules 724 photos, 182 members
- Computer Aided Origami 537 photos, 192 members
- Anamorphosis 102 photos, 210 members
- folding & architecture 216 photos, 29 members
- origami and architecture 1,115 photos, 146 members
- Origami Designs (Your own designs only) 16,367 photos, 722 members
- Origami Tutorial 495 photos, 204 members
- Origami USA Annual Convention Pictures 1,861 photos, 81 members
- Starkstruck 68 photos, 46 members
- Nishimura Yuko Appreciation Society 12 photos, 31 members
- Digital fabrication 4,564 photos, 991 members
- Hexagon 551 photos, 142 members
- YURTS 965 photos, 283 members
- Obsessive Compulsive Art Tendencies (OCAT) 59,895 photos, 2,593 members
- Craft Robo 495 photos, 86 members
- international graphic design 76,297 photos, 6,464 members
- The Divine Art Movement 188 photos, 43 members
- Geodesic & Geodetic 284 photos, 120 members
- World Arts and Craft; clay, paper and more 22,676 photos, 1,172 members
- Paper Craft 32,020 photos, 2,770 members
- Geodesic Dome Research 140 photos, 61 members
- A World of Origami 36,155 photos, 1,628 members
- Origami Workshop 5,843 photos, 290 members
- Origami Corrugations 2,015 photos, 521 members
- Artworks on Paper 315,811 photos, 11,951 members
- 3D paper art 21,369 photos, 2,078 members
- Generative & Evolutionary Art 16,455 photos, 1,072 members
- ORIGAMI (Brasil) 6,061 photos, 602 members
- Surface Designs 4,584 photos, 297 members
- Craft as Art 30,097 photos, 1,506 members
- Paper Lovers 11,223 photos, 573 members
- Muslim Cultures 101,717 photos, 10,976 members
- Iranian 72,837 photos, 3,697 members
- CRAFT 244,454 photos, 14,262 members
- Mosques and Minarets 47,514 photos, 6,562 members
- Islam 14,231 photos, 1,439 members
- Mandala Central 7,326 photos, 809 members
- Geometría 6,527 photos, 635 members
- Symmetrical Photographs 1,941 photos, 282 members
"Eric's work brought me in the wonderful world of origami tessellations. His knowledge of tessellations/tilings/geometrical stuff is really wide and never cease to amaze me with his kind of new models and techniques. Beside this he is a really nice person, kind and sunny, which doesn't hurt!"
May 27th, 2008
"It's since I've met C. Palmer for the first time, several years ago, that I'm not astonished in this way by a paperfolder. Sometimes I think that this man doesn't sleep *never*, to think and to fold these beautiful works."
August 15th, 2007
Ray Schamp says:
"Eric's photos brought me into Flickr, and thus into this great community of origamists. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of origami tessellations, which he shares freely -- both here, and on his blog. Seeing the progress of his talent is inspiring and demystifies -- while piquing one's interest in -- one of the coolest genres of paperfolding."
April 18th, 2007
En Why See says:
"Eric's work is groundbreaking, and seemingly effortless. Especially important is how he develops new ways of teaching us all a relatively complex form of artistic expression with paper. I've learned that his wife is also an extreme talent herself in the "softer" arts of temari and kirigami. Eric's devotion to open source is key to us all understanding ancient [and modern] art without a mentoring sen-sei at our disposal."
December 13th, 2006
"Eric can work magic with a single sheet of paper! His origami creations are awe-inspiring and incredible to behold.
His photos also provide a glimpse of what life is like up in Minnesota. (this Cali Girl has no clue!)
Oh yeah, he's got some mouthwatering pics of bekazushi.
Last but certainly not least, he's a nice guy!"
December 22nd, 2005
"Origomi's tesselations have greatly widened my perspective on what can be done in the world of origami tesselations. He once asked if I had super speed folding- I wonder the same about him! every week I see beautiful new creations."
October 20th, 2005
alida saxon says:
"His origami foldings are as complicated as they are beautiful. Math turned into art. Well worth keeping an eye on to see what he comes up with next."
September 26th, 2005
"It's so refreshing to see a photostream like Origomi's. I'm a big origami fan and I'm delighted to have found such a wonderful collection of original work. Beautiful stuff!"
June 1st, 2005
- Eric Gjerde
- March 2005
- Minneapolis, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Origami Tessellations
- origomi [at] mac.com