I'm a massive geek. As with most geeks, I'm fascinated by all things technological; it's what I do for a living, as well as a hobby (and obsession?)
a while back I found myself really burnt out, and I realized that I had let all of my non-computer-related hobbies and interests fall by the wayside. So I decided to pick them back up and spend some time focusing on them and not computers for a bit.
This led me to rediscover a number of things I had been missing- but also to some new levels of geekness, really. I started getting heavily into origami, and especially into very technical folding (often referred to as origami sekkei, or "technical paper folding".)
So while I enjoy folding all kinds of things, I've just been posting items which I have created myself. all of the items I post to flickr are independently created/invented/dreamed up by me, unless otherwise stated.
It's a big deal for me, as I really dislike the lack of information sharing in the origami world- I want to bring some of the open-source style sharing to them, preferably via the Creative Commons licensing ideals. I've made some headway on that front by releasing diagrams and crease patterns under a CC license, available on my website - it's located at www.origamitessellations.com.
- Concurso de creación, convención AEP 2013 25 photos, 33 members
- The Art of Papermaking 153 photos, 35 members
- CDO Verbania 2009 191 photos, 10 members
- -fold- 4,470 photos, 273 members
- CDO Verbania 2008 231 photos, 17 members
- Pacific Rim Origami 150 photos, 12 members
- curved fold 1,543 photos, 310 members
- Origami As Sculptural Art 718 photos, 231 members
- MetaFilter 2,186 photos, 635 members
- Origami Tessellation Molecules 942 photos, 212 members
- Computer Aided Origami 736 photos, 215 members
- Anamorphosis 105 photos, 209 members
- folding & architecture 226 photos, 30 members
- origami and architecture 1,303 photos, 157 members
- Origami Designs (Your own designs only) 19,341 photos, 807 members
- Origami Tutorial 536 photos, 229 members
- Origami USA Annual Convention Pictures 1,861 photos, 85 members
- Starkstruck 68 photos, 47 members
- Nishimura Yuko Appreciation Society 15 photos, 33 members
- Digital fabrication 4,661 photos, 1,014 members
- Hexagon 554 photos, 146 members
- YURTS 986 photos, 293 members
- Obsessive Compulsive Art Tendencies (OCAT) 63,982 photos, 2,611 members
- Craft Robo 495 photos, 87 members
- international graphic design 79,021 photos, 6,474 members
- The Divine Art Movement 445 photos, 48 members
- Geodesic & Geodetic 316 photos, 126 members
- World Arts and Craft; clay, paper and more 24,524 photos, 1,226 members
- Paper Craft 33,334 photos, 2,805 members
- Geodesic Dome Research 139 photos, 63 members
- A World of Origami 41,555 photos, 1,734 members
- Origami Workshop 6,545 photos, 312 members
- Origami Corrugations 2,329 photos, 564 members
- Artworks on Paper 341,004 photos, 12,190 members
- 3D paper art 23,738 photos, 2,155 members
- Generative & Evolutionary Art 18,021 photos, 1,103 members
- ORIGAMI (Brasil) 6,694 photos, 617 members
- Surface Designs 4,409 photos, 306 members
- Craft as Art 31,422 photos, 1,551 members
- Paper Lovers 12,695 photos, 614 members
- Muslim Cultures 104,827 photos, 11,309 members
- Iranian 73,645 photos, 3,746 members
- CRAFT 246,462 photos, 14,290 members
- Mosques and Minarets 50,209 photos, 6,868 members
- Islam 14,641 photos, 1,471 members
- Mandala Central 7,330 photos, 845 members
- Geometría 7,601 photos, 692 members
- Symmetrical Photographs 2,313 photos, 324 members
- Origami boxes 3,179 photos, 561 members
- Paper Fetish 45,882 photos, 3,276 members
"Eric's work brought me in the wonderful world of origami tessellations. His knowledge of tessellations/tilings/geometrical stuff is really wide and never cease to amaze me with his kind of new models and techniques. Beside this he is a really nice person, kind and sunny, which doesn't hurt!"
May 27th, 2008
"It's since I've met C. Palmer for the first time, several years ago, that I'm not astonished in this way by a paperfolder. Sometimes I think that this man doesn't sleep *never*, to think and to fold these beautiful works."
August 15th, 2007
Ray Schamp says:
"Eric's photos brought me into Flickr, and thus into this great community of origamists. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of origami tessellations, which he shares freely -- both here, and on his blog. Seeing the progress of his talent is inspiring and demystifies -- while piquing one's interest in -- one of the coolest genres of paperfolding."
April 18th, 2007
En Why See says:
"Eric's work is groundbreaking, and seemingly effortless. Especially important is how he develops new ways of teaching us all a relatively complex form of artistic expression with paper. I've learned that his wife is also an extreme talent herself in the "softer" arts of temari and kirigami. Eric's devotion to open source is key to us all understanding ancient [and modern] art without a mentoring sen-sei at our disposal."
December 13th, 2006
"Eric can work magic with a single sheet of paper! His origami creations are awe-inspiring and incredible to behold.
His photos also provide a glimpse of what life is like up in Minnesota. (this Cali Girl has no clue!)
Oh yeah, he's got some mouthwatering pics of bekazushi.
Last but certainly not least, he's a nice guy!"
December 22nd, 2005
"Origomi's tesselations have greatly widened my perspective on what can be done in the world of origami tesselations. He once asked if I had super speed folding- I wonder the same about him! every week I see beautiful new creations."
October 20th, 2005
alida saxon says:
"His origami foldings are as complicated as they are beautiful. Math turned into art. Well worth keeping an eye on to see what he comes up with next."
September 26th, 2005
"It's so refreshing to see a photostream like Origomi's. I'm a big origami fan and I'm delighted to have found such a wonderful collection of original work. Beautiful stuff!"
June 1st, 2005
- Eric Gjerde
- March 2005
- Minneapolis, USA
- I am:
- Male and Taken
- Origami Tessellations
- origomi [at] mac.com