I'm a massive geek. As with most geeks, I'm fascinated by all things technological; it's what I do for a living, as well as a hobby (and obsession?)
a while back I found myself really burnt out, and I realized that I had let all of my non-computer-related hobbies and interests fall by the wayside. So I decided to pick them back up and spend some time focusing on them and not computers for a bit.
This led me to rediscover a number of things I had been missing- but also to some new levels of geekness, really. I started getting heavily into origami, and especially into very technical folding (often referred to as origami sekkei, or "technical paper folding".)
So while I enjoy folding all kinds of things, I've just been posting items which I have created myself. all of the items I post to flickr are independently created/invented/dreamed up by me, unless otherwise stated.
It's a big deal for me, as I really dislike the lack of information sharing in the origami world- I want to bring some of the open-source style sharing to them, preferably via the Creative Commons licensing ideals. I've made some headway on that front by releasing diagrams and crease patterns under a CC license, available on my website - it's located at www.origamitessellations.com.
- Concurso de creación, convención AEP 2013 15 photos, 34 members
- The Art of Papermaking 153 photos, 33 members
- CDO Verbania 2009 191 photos, 10 members
- Origami Tessellations Design Challenge 2009 8 photos, 34 members
- -fold- 4,298 photos, 263 members
- CDO Verbania 2008 231 photos, 17 members
- Pacific Rim Origami 150 photos, 12 members
- curved fold 1,085 photos, 242 members
- Origami As Sculptural Art 718 photos, 195 members
- Origami Tessellation Design Challenge 2008 37 photos, 78 members
- MetaFilter 2,203 photos, 647 members
- Origami Tessellation Molecules 669 photos, 150 members
- Computer Aided Origami 540 photos, 171 members
- Anamorphosis 105 photos, 210 members
- folding & architecture 195 photos, 27 members
- origami and architecture 998 photos, 133 members
- Origami Designs (Your own designs only) 12,640 photos, 575 members
- Origami Tutorial 455 photos, 178 members
- Origami USA Annual Convention Pictures 1,862 photos, 78 members
- Starkstruck 69 photos, 46 members
- Nishimura Yuko Appreciation Society 14 photos, 29 members
- Digital fabrication 4,434 photos, 951 members
- Hexagon 514 photos, 132 members
- YURTS 948 photos, 269 members
- Obsessive Compulsive Art Tendencies (OCAT) 54,416 photos, 2,529 members
- Craft Robo 442 photos, 84 members
- international graphic design 71,566 photos, 6,420 members
- The Divine Art Movement 157 photos, 41 members
- Geodesic & Geodetic 273 photos, 117 members
- World Arts and Craft; clay, paper and more 20,996 photos, 1,136 members
- Paper Craft 30,027 photos, 2,696 members
- Geodesic Dome Research 144 photos, 58 members
- A world of origami 29,121 photos, 1,495 members
- Origami Workshop 4,704 photos, 241 members
- Origami Corrugations 1,814 photos, 449 members
- Artworks on Paper 280,267 photos, 11,537 members
- 3D paper art 17,969 photos, 1,965 members
- Generative & Evolutionary Art 14,758 photos, 1,025 members
- ORIGAMI (Brasil) 5,390 photos, 577 members
- Surface Designs 4,497 photos, 298 members
- Craft as Art 28,064 photos, 1,473 members
- Paper Lovers 9,493 photos, 545 members
- Muslim Cultures 96,717 photos, 10,428 members
- Iranian 72,187 photos, 3,631 members
- CRAFT 238,942 photos, 14,118 members
- Mosques and Minarets 43,267 photos, 6,057 members
- Islam 12,424 photos, 1,398 members
- Mandala Central 7,131 photos, 786 members
- Geometría 5,836 photos, 571 members
- Symmetrical Photographs 1,613 photos, 238 members
"Eric's work brought me in the wonderful world of origami tessellations. His knowledge of tessellations/tilings/geometrical stuff is really wide and never cease to amaze me with his kind of new models and techniques. Beside this he is a really nice person, kind and sunny, which doesn't hurt!"
27th May, 2008
"It's since I've met C. Palmer for the first time, several years ago, that I'm not astonished in this way by a paperfolder. Sometimes I think that this man doesn't sleep *never*, to think and to fold these beautiful works."
15th August, 2007
Ray Schamp says:
"Eric's photos brought me into Flickr, and thus into this great community of origamists. He has an encyclopedic knowledge of origami tessellations, which he shares freely -- both here, and on his blog. Seeing the progress of his talent is inspiring and demystifies -- while piquing one's interest in -- one of the coolest genres of paperfolding."
18th April, 2007
En Why See says:
"Eric's work is groundbreaking, and seemingly effortless. Especially important is how he develops new ways of teaching us all a relatively complex form of artistic expression with paper. I've learned that his wife is also an extreme talent herself in the "softer" arts of temari and kirigami. Eric's devotion to open source is key to us all understanding ancient [and modern] art without a mentoring sen-sei at our disposal."
13th December, 2006
"Eric can work magic with a single sheet of paper! His origami creations are awe-inspiring and incredible to behold.
His photos also provide a glimpse of what life is like up in Minnesota. (this Cali Girl has no clue!)
Oh yeah, he's got some mouthwatering pics of bekazushi.
Last but certainly not least, he's a nice guy!"
22nd December, 2005
"Origomi's tesselations have greatly widened my perspective on what can be done in the world of origami tesselations. He once asked if I had super speed folding- I wonder the same about him! every week I see beautiful new creations."
20th October, 2005
alida saxon says:
"His origami foldings are as complicated as they are beautiful. Math turned into art. Well worth keeping an eye on to see what he comes up with next."
26th September, 2005
"It's so refreshing to see a photostream like Origomi's. I'm a big origami fan and I'm delighted to have found such a wonderful collection of original work. Beautiful stuff!"
1st June, 2005
- Eric Gjerde
- March 2005
- Minneapolis, USA
- I am:
- Male and Single
- Origami Tessellations
- origomi [at] mac.com