I am a Christian.
I love nature!
I live in South Africa in the Limpopo Province in a town called Phalaborwa, adjacent to the Kruger National Park.
I am adicted to nature.
Wildlife photography is an expression of myself. That is me!!
I take photos with my heart, yet sometimes with my soul!
Photos of Piet Grobler (8)
- "Me, Myself & I" [Please invite new faces] 5,352 photos, 663 members
- Natural Jewellery 23,957 photos, 3,921 members
- Neuropterans 1,152 photos, 130 members
- True African Wildlife Photography 16,980 photos, 440 members
- Photographers aged 50 + 193,781 photos, 1,067 members
- Squirrel Photography 42,301 photos, 6,184 members
- Love South Africa 32,130 photos, 1,207 members
- + wild big cats* (Post 1 ~ Award 1) 2,695 photos, 117 members
- Top 25 Nature's Beauty (Post 1 - Award 1) 38 photos, 786 members
- Bonsai Lovers 5,685 photos, 1,165 members
- MyFuji - OPEN - Admin Challenge & 'Summer Sun' 108,124 photos, 737 members
- Avibase 131,625 photos, 1,213 members
- Beautiful Seasons 75,678 photos, 1,829 members
- Same place, different day 121 photos, 5 members
- Siamese Cats and their Feline Brothers (CLOSED GROUP) 115,244 photos, 9,789 members
- Birds in flight only!!! 38,590 photos, 1,234 members
- Prestige Nature P1 C2 64,173 photos, 2,088 members
- Simply Silhouettes. 6,980 photos, 954 members
- Natures Silhouettes (REMEMBER TO COMMENT!) 43,890 photos, 8,617 members
- Order: Carnivora 414 photos, 37 members
- Bird Identification Help Group 56,122 photos, 8,202 members
- Fuji HS20EXR 706 photos, 19 members
- FinePix HS20EXR 3,676 photos, 66 members
- Fuji FinePix HS20EXR 9,773 photos, 181 members
- You don't need an SLR to take a Great Shot! 12,303 photos, 242 members
- WILDLIFEPIX 13,260 photos, 96 members
- Images of Africa 194,078 photos, 6,368 members
- Nature's Little Hidden Wonders 2,896 photos, 119 members
- Reflections in Time 9,073 photos, 951 members
- South African Wildlife 12,148 photos, 412 members
- Seasonal differences 4,445 photos, 220 members
- Storks, Ibises, Spoonbills, & Flamingoes 8,978 photos, 1,581 members
- Just Hit Me With Your Best Shot 68,686 photos, 1,505 members
- World Wildlife 24,261 photos, 557 members
- Camouflaged Creatures 4,151 photos, 480 members
- Pretty Strange BUGS! 1,688 photos, 211 members
- Sunrise, Sunset -- Anything Sun! 1,006,756 photos, 66,187 members
- Art of Nature 428,853 photos, 11,918 members
- Nature of the World Unlimited (9000+ Invite your friends!) 588,152 photos, 12,176 members
- I did not know that! 402 photos, 51 members
- Gigantic Trees 29 photos, 7 members
- Macro Magic (No limits) 11,715 photos, 429 members
- Field Guide to Insects and Spiders 54,127 photos, 2,496 members
- Plants of South Africa 4,249 photos, 301 members
- In love with Africa 33,681 photos, 571 members
- Admin Help 2,841 photos, 1,456 members
- MACROLICIOUS FLOWERS :-} 3,996 photos, 183 members
- Phasianidae: Grouse, pheasants and partridges 11,899 photos, 1,558 members
- I love what's beautiful ! TIME TO VOTE !!! 2,038 photos, 76 members
- Lover of nature 229,412 photos, 3,561 members
"Flickr is a place on the web to show your view of the world through your lens and it is very good at this. However its best use is as a sharing forum where people can comment and admire this work but it also it offers an opportunity to inspire others.
Piet is undoubtedly a photographer of real quality but more importantly is someone who takes time to view other's work and then add something of his own. This, to me, is invaluable in the development of the photographic community and where Piet excels by offering his views and comments.
Piet has also personally helped me with the information he gladly shares alongside his photos. So thank you Piet, I do hope we get the chance to meet someday."
December 18th, 2011
NZ Nature by Glenda Rees says:
"Piet was one of my first contacts on Flickr. His comments are very positive and he goes the extra mile to explain the names and habitat of the items in the photos I post (e.g. trees, berries, birds,etc).
I was very pleased to meet Piet on my recent trip to Kruger Park. He has an amazing knowledge and love of the flora and fauna of that particular part of South Africa. I feel I can freely ask him for advice on the naming of the many trees, plants and other items I photographed.
The photos he posts on Flickr are indicative of his vaste area of knowledge, and are all of great interest to me, and others who are fortunate to see them."
September 13th, 2010
Pim Stouten says:
"I stumbled upon Piet's pictures in several SA wildlife-related groups, and he immediately stood out for his knowledge of almost every living bit of African nature, be it a mammal, reptile, insect or tree. And that's not the only thing: he takes some marvellous pictures as well!
After a couple of months of exchanging emails and comments on each others' photos, we finally had the pleasure of meeting 'Oom Piet' in real life. We met him in his second living room (Kruger National Park) and talked about his passion for all things living. Even during our meeting, he kept scanning the horizon for wildlife activity; that's not him being rude to us, but me illustrating how African nature is part of Piet's genes...
His unique mixture of knowledge and photography skills (and him just being a nice person in general ;-) ) is a great asset to the Flickr community!"
March 8th, 2010
Kobus Kiekie says:
"Oom Piet is a humble, God-loving person who would give his last penny to help someone in need. He is a man who truly loves his wife; when he speaks about Tannie Lena, or as he would say, his Maatjie, it is as if he speaks in capital letters.
I met Oom Piet in 1991 whilst still in school. In 1995 I started working at the same company as Oom Piet and that is where our friendship began. After working together for twelve years, Oom Piet deservingly retired from the company.
I have twice visited Mozambique for three weeks with Oom Piet. I treasure the magical memories of those trips. We often go to the Kruger National Park and the surrounding areas where we not only take photos but also laugh, and when I say laugh, I mean laugh.
I am yet to meet a person who loves nature as much as Oom Piet does. On one of our visits to Mozambique we went sight-seeing. I had lost count of the number of trees Oom Piet had identified when I picked a small tree and asked him to identify it. In no time Oom Piet said it was a dune jackal-berry and, as he always does, gave the scientific name - Diospyros rotundifolia. To be funny I asked in which book and on what page it could be found, to which oom Piet replied, 'page 182 or 183' and also gave the name of the book which was 'Field Guide to Trees of Southern Africa' by Braam and Piet van Wyk. When we got back to camp I took the book and looked it up and strussBob, on page 182 the description and on page 183 the photo. Need I say more?
Oom Piet’s approach to everything is very scientific and mathematical, but this does not make him boring or a know-it-all type of person. Most of the information/comments Oom Piet writes on Flickr are not from books or the internet but from knowledge and experience gained throughout his life. I could tell you that Oom Piet is a qualified game ranger, a qualified teacher and so highly qualified in water that he’s got water on the brain, but I am not going to.
I could go on and on but will conclude by saying this: if I could choose a father other than my own, I would choose this man, Oom Piet.
I love you Oom Piet!!!"
October 15th, 2009
"Probably the nicest person on Flickr. He has a way with words that just makes a person love him. His photography is stunning with some awesome captures of subjects like spiders that other people would never even see in their lifetime. His friendliness and constant commenting is an absolute joy and he is just the best!!!"
July 31st, 2009
Greta ~adores~ Pink~~~~ says:
"This great person, called Piet, has become such an inspiration to me with all his lovely pictures,
He has become a true friend with
his pure honesty in commenting,
en sommer net omdat jy, jy is!!!"
January 18th, 2009
- Piet Grobler
- August 2008
- Phalaborwa, South Africa
- I am:
- Male and Taken