►►►new posts on FaceBook◄◄◄ Madurai, my second hometown ◄► Madurai - Goripalayam
Madurai exclusive low-budget trip ► PHOTOTRAIL MADURAI
Newspapers (articles about me) Chronicle Madurai 2011-01-15 • Deccan Chronicle 2012-01-14 • தின இதழ் 2016-01-13 • தின இதழ் 2016-01-14 • The Hindu 2016-01-29 • Swarajya 2016-01-24 • More in 2016 ...
Photos are protected by copyright registration (A proposal of support for poor is required for using photos)
All photos - Exhibition Italy - Exhibtion Madurai - Publications
Did you ever had that feeling that you went to a total strange place and you felt yourself straight away at home ?
That place is called Tamil Nadu that I visited first in 1987 and from since I go back there every year, the first 3 months of the year. Learning the language helped me to discover the essence of the Tamil culture. In '94 I met Ochappan, a poor Tamil tricycle-man from Madurai. He inspired me to use the derived name oochappan to spot his world out, looking over his shoulder.
Tamil Nadu, colors of joy, what comes from there, goes back.
There I share my hearth, and here my photos. Any reward supports poor people. Welcome.
I never stop at the appearance but try to get the soul of people, adding info and personal impressions, avoiding calamity and commercial wallpapers that uses people only as compositional objects, I rather enhance people, mirroring the soul of their culture cause imaging is in need for soul ! A RAW is only raw, not what we see that's far more complex. I take photos with my eyes and my mind, not with a camera, that's only a tool to translate it.
What use is having a great depth of field, if there is not an adequate depth of feeling . William Eugene Smith
It is impossible to express India's particular beauty in black-and-white. Black-and-white might be a good medium to convey Europe's fear and alienation, but color is natural for Indians and more appropriate for the extraordinary diversity of India. Unlike European art, Indian art did not have the tradition of independent black-and-white sketches and drawings. If any line drawings were made, they were for being filled out in color. Color is the fountain of India. Color is the basis of the entire rasa theory, that governs Indian painting, dance, music, and literature.
Raghubir Singh, 1942-1999
Photoalbum edition 2006
Now available here
Photos of Henk oochappan (3)
- Pacific&South Asia 26,555 photos, 501 members
- Incredible India - Travel Photography 407 photos, 49 members
- Cinque continenti / Five continents 6,180 photos, 150 members
- World Culture 137,554 photos, 4,305 members
- Travel Photography Collective 47,406 photos, 1,182 members
- LIFE MAGAZINE PHOTOGRAPHERS 28,797 photos, 892 members
- DIARY OF TRAVEL 9,159 photos, 102 members
- India Song 35,517 photos, 1,652 members
- Asia - Earth's largest continent 5,049 photos, 202 members
- Indian (Close-Up of 1 Face) Portraits!! [Only the Very BEST] 9,247 photos, 727 members
- Women of India (no children) 20,841 photos, 2,835 members
- Creative Street Photography 7,783 photos, 792 members
- The World Through My Eyes - Portraits *OPEN* 4,512,282 photos, 120,167 members
- SPNC - Year 2 - Instruction # 19 148 photos, 254 members
- Magnum Showcase (Moderated) 1,747 photos, 670 members
- India through the Lens 13,847 photos, 320 members
- Traveling India 7,549 photos, 273 members
- South India Clicks 11,331 photos, 486 members
- Incredible India ! 63,243 photos, 1,545 members
- Tamil Nadu 10,826 photos, 460 members
- The India Tree 100,070 photos, 4,097 members
- Peoples of India 74,682 photos, 4,247 members
- Incredible India ! 48,368 photos, 4,523 members
- Incredible India 31,918 photos, 6,054 members
- Streets of India 51,018 photos, 2,227 members
- India Images 451,812 photos, 19,291 members
- India 260,335 photos, 7,712 members
- Indian Villages ( Rural India ) 21,584 photos, 1,559 members
- India as we see it 149,393 photos, 3,379 members
- See the real India 40,297 photos, 850 members
- !!!INDIA!!! 72,067 photos, 1,297 members
- India Travel Desk 75,077 photos, 2,786 members
- From your soul 3,780 photos, 39 members
- Social Geographic 21,194 photos, 1,349 members
- Photojournalism & Photojournalists 327,498 photos, 11,087 members
- Where my heart belongs 24,347 photos, 718 members
- The Decisive Moment 16,263 photos, 761 members
- ᗩᔕ Gooᗪ ᗩᔕ It getᔕ~.. ♥ ☺☺☺ 91,952 photos, 4,560 members
- Photo of the year 2016 102,373 photos, 2,323 members
- oochappan travel photography India 4,060 photos, 1 member
- Flickr Hacks 420 photos, 22,016 members
- Travel and social reportage (respect rules or be banned) 51,609 photos, 2,233 members
- Discovery India 109,416 photos, 2,962 members
- Best VIDEOS on Flickr! 24,417 photos, 7,001 members
- ***SCREAM OF THE PHOTOGRAPHER*** 2,598,893 photos, 51,086 members
- visit the world - the travel guide 3,736,418 photos, 90,367 members
- !Catchy Colors 4,468,551 photos, 178,946 members
- Streetphotography in Colors 58,249 photos, 1,658 members
- Explore India 75,746 photos, 1,957 members
- Bangalore Shutterbugs Group 45,878 photos, 3,356 members
"Oochapan est un des plus beaux exemples de la photographie humaniste. Chacune de ses photos décrit l'homme dans ce qu'il a de plus profond, de plus intime, de plus douloureux ou de plus beau. Chaque image écrit une histoire. Chaque cliché nous explose à la figure. Il peint la vie...et ça c'est exceptionnel! Un maître!"
March 23rd, 2013
TT FAUGHAN says:
"INSPIRING WORK LOVE THE PEOPLE PORTRAITS"
December 9th, 2012
I regularly follow your extremely wonderful photographs of Tamil Nadu.
Your frames are so rich in colors and the compositions are very creative.
I must confess that I enjoy your titles in Tamil very much.
You make life of the villagers look so colorful. Your photographs project
their inner emotions too.
You are truly a wonderful creative person and a versatile photographer.
You have a unique style and it is extraordinary.
I wish you a great success in your future endeavors.
ஆழ்ந்த பிரமிப்புடன் தங்கள் படைப்புகளை வியந்து நோக்கும்..
March 6th, 2012
"You bring us the colors and the scent of India, and I greet you for that. They represent truly the spirit of the place. Besides i enjoy them a lot from a photographic perspective. Thank you!"
December 22nd, 2011
@ Catherine. says:
Vous êtes un Grand Maître de la photographie!
Chacune de vos photos raconte une belle histoire.
Vous avez le don de capturer la lumière et retranscrir les émotions.
Vous nous apportez un magnifique témoignage en portrait et scène
de vie quotidienne de ce merveilleux pays qu'est l'Inde.
Je reste admirative de votre travail et vous remercie pour tant de beauté !
October 21st, 2011
"Only someone who knows, loves and understands Tamil Nadu very well indeed, could capture the real, everyday life as well as oochappan does"
June 4th, 2010
Kals Pics says:
"Never before seen a Foreigner who loves India and its culture as he does. The one who turned my attention towards "The people, culture and colors of India"."
June 9th, 2010
Vinoth Babu Thirukonda says:
"Big fan of Henk(oochappan) photography. Much inspired with his portrait and composition of shots.. Great Mr.Henk"
January 23rd, 2010
"To Henk oochappan,
I dont knw if anyone has said this to you before. But your collection has made me fall in love with you! It Is mindblowing how you view tamil nadu and how youve captured it through your lenses.I sense a daring personality through ure photos. It appears you are not Tamil by birth, and it leaves me puzzled. Not even a tamilian could picturize the life of TamilNadu like you do. Words cannot describe your fantastic skills and creativity .
But truely speaking, I think your collection really got to me.
India takes different forms to different people who visit her, Although she has her bad sides,but good or bad,shes always embracing the poorest to the richest ,always giving but rarely recieving.
You captured the India,I miss all the time.Thank you for giving her this collection.
-With Love, Shree"
September 30th, 2009
Apratim Saha says:
"Henk is a great photographer but the best thing about him that he loves India truly. His love and respect to Indians is expressed through his every photograph. I’m saluting this master photographer from my heart.
Thank you Henk for showing India in such a lovely way."
January 22nd, 2009
"Oochappan is so favorite to me. He show s places around us so nicely.Realy a travel photographer with high thinking."
October 15th, 2008
"I love the work of "oochappan". Every image is exquisite and takes me deep into a land and culture I love. Thank you."
December 19th, 2008
"Every single picture on oochappan's photostream is breathtaking. The colors are vibrant, the landscapes awesome and the people lively. I especially love the people in his pictures. Ordinary people going about their daily lives, are captured with such sensitivity and eye for detail, with their beautiful dresses , their kind faces , their honest smiles and their raw emotions.
I also like that he gives a generous description that each picture becomes an amazing documentary. I've been to India once and it was one of the best times in my life. These pictures make me want to go again .
Although I have many faves from Henk's photostream, I am still exercising a lot of restraint. If I could, I would mark almost every picture as a favorite."
October 4th, 2008
Shibu L says:
"I am honored to put words to the feelings about the photos taken by a true artist.... He is easily one of the best photographers in my contact list.. The photos taken by Oochappan are the frozen moments in the life of common men in India, and men like him bring to us a lot of knowledge through his art . He does what a photographer should do, as i say in my profile..."Photos are windows to society and through them if you could bring some good we are blessed". My hearty salute to this Master."
September 21st, 2008
Antony Vance Clicks says:
"I was asking myself few questions, what the hell you were doing in your 25 years of life in Tamilnadu. Did you capture atleast one lively moment which you liked? Did you roam around to see all the peoples and nature of Tamilnadu. Damn, you did not.
Well, Oochappan did.
I am really thrilled to see his work. Very intense and (true) story behind every photo. I could see Tamilnadu's daily life in his photos. He would inspire any one who see the photos, he captured in Tamilnadu."
July 5th, 2008
Sankar Salvady says:
"If you are a Tamilian and if you have ever thought you know Tamilnadu(India) like the back of your hand, you will start re-thinking after spending some time in Henk's ( alias oochappan) Tamilnadu portfolio. If there is one person that has recorded the life in every nook and corner of Tamilnadu like an encyclopedia and still strives to do more, if there is one person that has traveled the maximum miles in Tamilnadu purely out of love for the place and its people (unlike politicians having selfish motives), it must be Henk . His love for TN is unparalleled. He brings out a beauty, life and charm out of Tamilnadu in his photos that most Tamilians born and raised there all their life fail to notice.
If I were to say Henk's pictures is one of the greatest inspirations for my decision to try to come back to Tamilnadu and India as soon as I can, I would not be lying :-) . Thank you Henk , for showing us how beautiful our part of the world is."
June 30th, 2008
"The spirit of Tamil Nadu is reflected so precisely and delicate in Oochapan images! You can feel the magic and the secret power of this land and people through them... I forgot to breathe while looking through, as I if I was traveling there again.
Touched and inspired...!"
February 2nd, 2008
"If Tamil Nadu needed a spokesperson, a passionate advocate on its behalf, that person is Oochappan. An amazing photographer, who find that rare quality - life - in pretty much every situation and then proceeds to highlight that with his photos.
Spend a while in his stream, marvel at the Tamil Nadu and India he showcases. You'll be as hooked as I am."
December 21st, 2007
- December 2005
- BELGIUM - INDIA in winter
- I am: