Hi, welcome to my photo-stream, I have been passionate about photography for most of my life, It's only since I got my first DSLR in 2008 that things have really progressed. I have always had a passion for Natural History and graduated with Honours in Zoology/Marine Zoology at the University of North Wales, Bangor in 1990. I have retained this passion for the natural world and have this is strongly reflected in my photography.
In 2009 I discovered the macro world and since then I have been on a quest to investigate this often overlooked world. The fascination of seeing the unseen details of the natural world is so very appealing to me, there is so much we walk past every day that we don't see, now with the aid of powerful macro lenses we can take a privileged look into this world.
I am still learning and welcome help, hints and tips etc. I also welcome helpful critique (As long as it is polite LOL). I have found Flickr to be a treasure trove of information and there are some truly wonderful photographers to be found here.
I have to say that one lens has opened up a whole new level of macro to me, that lens is the MP-E 65mm, I highly recommend :o)
I'm currently fascinated by Collembola and have been photographing these for over a year now, I have also got some of my photos on the following website :-
A very fine website with many excellent images of the worlds Collembola, also a fascinating site to read, with excellent information on the subject :0)
Equipment list :-
Canon 5D MK II DSLR
Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro
Canon EF 50mm F/1.8 II
Canon EF 400mm F/5.6 L
Canon EF Macro USM 100 mm F/2.8
Canon Extender x1.4 II
Canon 580EX II Speedlite
Canon 430EX II Speedlite
Canon EOS Dedicated TTL Off-Camera Shoe Cord OC-E3
Nikon D7000 DSLR
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Sigma150mm f/2.8 APO Macro
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Nikkor 60mm Micro f/2.8
Nikon SB400 Speedlight
Nikon SB900 Speedlight
SC-29 Flash extension cord
Kenko AF Extension Tubes x2
Right Angle View Finder Adapter
Benbo mini trekker
Manfrotto pro tripod
Manfrotto monopods x2
I am currently looking to break into a career in photography, so any help would be appreciated :)
Please ask if you want to use any of my images, however, a few have been given to Barcroft Media and they have exclusive rights.
Also on Twitter
- Nature,and Animals 2,646 photos, 60 members
- Cuckoo Wasps (Chrysididae) 88 photos, 21 members
- See & Be Seen (Only on Invitation!) 17,514 photos, 3,002 members
- Wild Bees and Wasps of Europe (NO Honey Bees PLEASE) 23,800 photos, 1,398 members
- Cicindelephilia 4,235 photos, 281 members
- Only Awesome Photos 18,678 photos, 2,699 members
- Flickr Explore It 145,754 photos, 1,731 members
- * Adorati insetti * 7,723 photos, 524 members
- " Birds Around you " 10,209 photos, 213 members
- Rainbow of Nature Level 1 : RED (P1-A4) 196,864 photos, 7,363 members
- Birds Feeding 12,887 photos, 773 members
- Birds Portraits 20,695 photos, 2,614 members
- Gallery One 31,836 photos, 701 members
- Ladybugs in Life 1,181 photos, 299 members
- Marienkäfer 1,812 photos, 387 members
- Ladybirds And S.I.L.O. 1,799 photos, 344 members
- ladybird 7,445 photos, 1,708 members
- **Simply Superb (P 1- A 3)** 300,708 photos, 9,520 members
- ! !^Exquisite Art 50+ Faves (Level 1) (Post 1:Award/Fave 3) 49,337 photos, 2,603 members
- Dragonflies around the World 28,267 photos, 2,349 members
- ` FLICKR ´ 1,161,838 photos, 19,172 members
- Macro Dragonflies 5,981 photos, 486 members
- Damsels and Dragons 4,446 photos, 321 members
- Minor Arthropod Orders 722 photos, 79 members
- Up close and Macro (Extreme) 332 photos, 89 members
- British True Weevils (Coleoptera: Curculionidae) 1,830 photos, 158 members
- Leafhopper 171 photos, 21 members
- Ethology 1,257 photos, 76 members
- Outstanding Insect Photography - P1 - A3 (Admin Invite Only) 8,203 photos, 448 members
- Entomopathogenic Fungi 698 photos, 189 members
- Hunters with their victims 1,291 photos, 92 members
- All Isect Macro Photography 4,762 photos, 80 members
- The BEST of FairyLand BJD 4,541 photos, 475 members
- Arthropods - Field Stacks 2,521 photos, 269 members
- Super~Six ☆ Stage #2 ☆ Silver. Post 1, Award 5. Invite Only 369,614 photos, 17,078 members
- Master of photoshop 2,295 photos, 736 members
- PBWA (Photography by Wandering About) 139,483 photos, 1,692 members
- **Platinum Heart Awards** (Only with 8+Heart Awards Invitation!) 216,761 photos, 15,148 members
- iEyes 6,938 photos, 665 members
- Your Best Shot 2013 10,953 photos, 13,418 members
- Dans la nature 6,549 photos, 179 members
- **Show Your Best** 14,524 photos, 276 members
- Close-ups of Animals 44,256 photos, 1,568 members
- Scientific Photographers 19,095 photos, 567 members
- ~ Wonderful World of Wildlife ~ 330,942 photos, 5,191 members
- Beautiful Bug Butt Thursday (BBBT) 4,055 photos, 170 members
- ★ Elit macro ★ P1 - C1 ★ 22,064 photos, 1,084 members
- Arthropoda 33,612 photos, 407 members
- Stop & Comment 10,008 photos, 469 members
- British Hoverflies 11,043 photos, 513 members
"Eddie is the best photographer ive seen, he really captures the life of insects no matter how small,a fantastic macro photographer!"
November 4th, 2012
James Niland says:
"Eddie gets on a level with all those beautiful creatures, they seem to accept him and show off their best sides. Either that or he spends a LOT of time and patience getting close with these little beauties.
Always looking forward to see Eddie's genius at work and am inspired to try to get somewhere close to his results, maybe one day."
December 10th, 2011
"Eddie is amazing or as I like to call him "Saint Eddie the Bugman" or SETB for short... His shots are all incredible, he has this thing where he's actually able to communicate with Dragon and Damselflys, I know, it's a very rare gift apparently and one is only born to have this gift once every 300 years or so.
Apart from his amazing macros and other types of photos he is a BRILLIANT contact cos he writes really great comments (and lets face it, everyone loves a meaty comment lol!)
I'll stop gushing, if Eddie lived in Ireland I'd probably have jumped him by now lol! (Joking... or am I.... be afraid, be very afraid!!!!)"
November 8th, 2011
Lisa Lawley says:
"I've really enjoyed the gifted work of Eddie. He is a real inspiration, and makes bugs cool. Anyone who makes bugs cool, is cool by me :)"
March 18th, 2011
"For whatever reason I've only recently found Eddie's work but what a joy it has been looking through his photostream.
A kindred spirit for sure, hooked on the natural world and macro images. His passion for the subjects he captures so well is obvious for all to see...just look at the images!
Always experimenting, adapting, improving and all that means I'm forever waiting to see his latest finds/uploads knowing they won't be the 'same old same old' that some bug photostreams are.
Inspiring stuff Eddie and I look forward to more of the same, I just get the feeling that the best is yet to come :-)"
December 14th, 2010
Tess McCoy says:
"Edward's work is always exceptional; he has a very personal style and I instantly recognize him as the photographer when I see the thumbnails of his recent uploads. Not only is the focus and amount of detail in his pictures always insane, but he manages to find the coolest little critters to photograph. He's also one of my favorite people on flickr and great at keeping up with his contacts' work. =)"
August 3rd, 2010
"i greatly enjoy looking at all your photos and commenting on them!! and thank you for commenting on my photos, much appreciated :-)
keep up the good work"
May 8th, 2010
Black Cat Photos says:
"Edward’s stream is amazing! His macro work with bugs is incredible. He makes all bugs look beautiful! His stream is really inspirational! Luv m xxx"
July 21st, 2010
- September 2009
- I am: